Musicians! Your instruments!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I play the Ocarina :)

I have a twelve hole Ocarina that I've been playing for around half a year. I'm getting okishly good and take lessons (online) from this guy. Well, sort of anyway. He has Ocarina youtube tutorials, and sells other teaching guides as well as tabs.

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
I have a tenor saxophone and played it in the concert and jazz bands through high school. Unfortunately it is damaged and I haven't gotten to play it much since then, so instead, I fiddle around with this thing I picked up in china.

If I ever go back I think I will buy the more professional model they were trying to sell me instead of the decorative one. I find it quite fun to play.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I tried, but all the pictures looked too vaginal to post on this site.

Cookie if you can figure out my main instrument from that alone (and yes, it IS an instrument!).

Other than that, I've briefly played tin whistle and French horn, and spent significantly longer playing the piano, but I'm still not terrific at it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Been playing Keys since the past 2-3 years, but spent most of my childhood/adolescence playing piano.

Not my arrangement, and this was a work in progress/self assessment of what I needed to improve on. I highly recommend people tape themselves when they play when looking to improve on technical aspects.

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
Well I've been playing the violin since I was 6 or so upon parental encouragement; I have a grade 5 and could probably have done 6 if it wasn't for the theory section. Also, 4 years ago I took up the euphonium, switching to Bb tuba half a year later, and at the same time I picked up the viola. Nowadays I play viola for my university's symphony orchestra (frequently inside 2nd desk, sometimes higher), tuba for the wind orchestra and violin for the less elite string orchestra. This unusual selection means I can also read the 3 main clefs (treble, bass, alto). I can sing pretty well (baritone) but don't do so regularly.

Claripit772 said:
I'm a percussionist! I especially like mallet percussion, and consider marimba to be the instrument I am best at.

I originally started clarinet when I was 11, and tried the marimba when I was 16 and made the switch permanently. My first mallet piece was written by Ney Rosauro, who is now my absolute favorite composer. I even got to meet him because he teaches an age-unrestricted percussion camp (He's the one introducing me to the audience in one of my youtube videos where I performed one of his pieces.) I spent one semester of college not majoring in music and realized that it was a major mistake, so I formally auditioned and have been a music student ever since :D

I absolutely love the marimba, it is my favourite percussion instrument without a shadow of a doubt and almost top on my extensive list of "instruments I'd love to learn but don't have the time".

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Parkway91 said:
I play guitar, have done since I was about eight, which makes it about 12 years I have played for now. Have studied music for 2 years out of highschool and have a Diploma in music. Favourite genres to play are blues, jazz, and hardcore. I dabble in other instruments, harmonica, piano, drums. I play a Gretsch 5120 with a average Marshall 120DFX with a few pedals. My favourite guitar player would be either Kenny Burrell or Stevie Ray Vaughan.

that is a sexy axe

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
It's a makeshift double keyboard, just 2 MIDI keyboards stacked on top of each other and wired together. I may try to install a pedal mechanism as well.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Les Paul studio, a lovely lovely guitar:

Fender Jazz bass:

One of these...

...in conjunction with a whole lot of these:

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I just started learning guitar two and a half months ago. I have an acoustic that sounds pretty nice - pity that now I'm going back to college and will now have to try and learn shit from the internet, which can be either remarkably helpful or insanely unhelpful when it comes to teaching people stuff.

Aidan Goldthorpe

Dec 17, 2010
I'm a euphonium player and sometimes trumpet player. I switched from trumpet to eupho in grade 8 and I've stayed on that for a few years now. I love the sound the euphonium produces. I play in a stage/big/jazz band in the trombone section and it's heaps of fun.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Holy schnikes, I had no idea so many people were masters of the non-acoustic guitar... O.O

I play piano. I'm...decent at it. I've taken lessons for so long that I'm at the wonderful point where, even if I quit it cold-turkey, I'd still retain enough to be able to sit down and play from music 30 years from now.

Notice that "from music" part. Yeah, unfortunately I'm not one of those awesome people that can just sit down and improvise something pretty. Or even play from memory well. >.> Maybe if I worked really hard, I could develop some skill, but for now I'm content with being able to sightread rather well and just going from there.

My mother had my sister and I take both violin and piano as little kids. I couldn't stand the squeaky violin (Mom should've paired me with the mellow viola), but I liked the ease with which you could make the piano sing. My sister quit piano and stayed with the violin until high school ended and orchestra was no longer a big social priority. :p I quit violin and stayed with piano until...*sigh* this school year, when the time-suck juggernaut that is college forced me to halt lessons and neglect my beloved instrument. I love playing, but not enough to be a music major or minor, so I have to settle for occasional sessions on the ivories at home on weekends. Again, there are pianos on campus, but studies, work, and friends prevent me from making that journey to the music building. :( Maybe in future semesters I can work out some kind of schedule where I can squeeze in lessons and practicing? It was hard in high school, and it'll be only harder in college...Wah.

I want to take up guitar, if only for the chance to actually bring your instrument with you on outings so you can play and sing little ditties for and with your friends. ^^

As far as musical tastes go...well, one of the reasons I like the piano is its stylistic versatility. Classical, jazz, contemporary, ragtime, pop, honkytonk, showtunes and scores, gospel/praise/hymns, dances and marches and even rock (sort of) sound perfectly natural on the piano. When it comes to what I play, though, it's most often classical and inspirational stuff (jazz does not translate well onto sheet music ^^;). Classical is how I hone my skill--there are always any number of beautiful, challenging pieces to pick from.
Chopin is nice, if a bit predictable. Beethoven often has some delightful pieces up his sleeve. But Debussy...*dreamy look* Though I've only touched the surface of his oeuvre, his music always charms me. It's gorgeous, striking, ethereal, and intriguing...Never a bore, but never too lofty (read: too modern & dissonant...I'm looking at you, Ravel :p).

Anyway, that was way too long. I guess I'm more of a musician than I thought!

Padwolf said:
I play Piano, have done for about 12 years now. I play a huge variety of music but my favourite to play is jazz. However, and I am about to start crying over it right now by thinking of it, my piano has died, and I have not been able to play for months. Playing piano met a lot to me. A heck of a lot to me. I can't even get a replacement. I can't get it fixed. I can't even get a cheap small keyboard. Gods I can't bear it! I need a piano.
Noes! That is indeed horrific; you have my utmost sympathy. Is there somewhere nearby with a piano that you could use?

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
OH YOU! Running around making incredible music with incredible instruments while far less talented people like me sit back and scratch their heads in confusion and envy

Seriously though..That's an extremely sexy guitar, I think my bass teacher owns one actually

Do you have any recordings of just your guitar playing? That's something I've been dying to see

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TheFunPolice said:
OH YOU! Running around making incredible music with incredible instruments while far less talented people like me sit back and scratch their heads in confusion and envy

Seriously though..That's an extremely sexy guitar, I think my bass teacher owns one actually

Do you have any recordings of just your guitar playing? That's something I've been dying to see
Nah, I'm not good enough at guitar to merit doing solos and the like (not fake humility, actual truth - I suck at guitar)

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
that is a sexy axe
Thanks bud. It does quite well. Its essentially my substitute for a White Falcon seeing as they are quite the big $$$ , but I can dream can't I? Ha. Regardless it is an extremely great guitar.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
I play early period harps, mostly sticking to a reproduction of the 15th century Scottish Lamont harp. Like most pre-18th century Celtic harps, it's strung with brass strings (as opposed to gut or modern nylon strings). Playing is a terrific stress reliever at day's end.

FWIW, this is me doing some improvisations on a 15th century French piece. In before "Can you play Freebird?" ;)

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Matthew94 said:
I play the electric guitar (how original, I know...) and I have a mighty blast with it.

I have a Danelectro DC-59M with a Roland Micro Cube and an assortment of various pedals (wah, delay, flange, overdrive, fuzz (not shown)).

I've always liked those danelectros... they're nice guitars... though it'd seem to me that you need a better amp... probably one with a bit more wattage...<.<

OT:

I play the electric guitar too... and I've got a couple...

I have an epiphone flying V... with gibson flying V pick ups... so I basically have a Gibson Flying V... xD

It's my least favorite guitar... it just doesn;t sound good... also I've had it for so long that the white is now kinda yellow...

I also have a hollowbody... not sure what brand... but it's a 335 knock off... and it sounds amazing... it's like... I can;t even ask for a more perfect sound... though playability wise it leaves much to be desired... the frets are worn down to nothing, the neck is too thin... the bridge is all weird and somebody wired the switch wrong... <.<

It looks something like that...<.<

I also have an amazing acoustic...it's a Washburn R318SKK or something like that... beautiful guitar...

and as far as amps go I only have this thing that I found... it's a Johnson 25 watt amp...

Honestly doesn't sound bad... the clean tones leave a bit to be desired but it distorts well... the speaker in it is nice a crisp...<.<

That isn't everything... but those are mah favorite things...