Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
At least this is a legit reason.

What no one seems too get is that there are No, zero, zip, zilch, depictions of the Prophet Mohammed in the Muslim world. They believe that any image of Prophet Mohammed might lead some too start worshiping the picture itself and not Allah. I do not blame them for this, in my Christian walk, I have seen people claiming to be Christians do some pretty stupid thing in Christs name (even though they are contradicting Christ by doing some of the stupid but I digress).

So I say, this is legit.
No it isn't.

What Muslims seem to not get is this: I'm not religious, I'm not in the Muslim world, so why should this affect me or the tens of millions of other gamers not in the Muslim world? If people in the Muslim world want to get offended, then they can and perhaps boycott that map.

This is the crux of the issue that pisses off people who are not religious (or at the very least non-Muslim) - the world shouldn't have to change around a bunch of people who get offended by something. It doesn't matter what it is - writing on a wall, a stupid movie, women's rights, Britney Spears - people are entitled to be offended if they wish, just as everyone else is entitled to not care and not have someone else's offense affect their lives.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
antipunt said:
I love the 'atheists are the most annoying group' catchphrase that's becoming increasingly popular with certain religious sects. It's like some sort of reverse psychology defense that they use to keep themselves feeling like they're the 'good guys', which is ironic, because it only makes them look even more bigoted
Exactly right. I hate this common attitude of "I believe in [whatever] religion so you have to respect my beliefs".

Wrong.

You are entitled to believe whatever you like, but I do not have to respect, agree, or even care what made up nonsense it is you believe. I, at the same time, am entitled to not expect your beliefs to affect my life in any way. (and this 'you' is not the poster I quoted, btw, it's 'one' but that sounded really pompous when I read it back. LOL.)

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
So he's offended about a picture frame (that doesn't exist) being in a bathroom (that also doesn't exist)?

Now I've not played MW2, but what is a muslim quote doing in a house in Rio? There is 1 mosque in the whole of rio and it was only opened in 2011, after this game was made.

source: http://dawn.com/2011/08/22/islam-takes-root-in-land-of-bikinis-and-carnival/

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
blackrave said:
Funny people- they don't mind that they are being killed in hundreds every day
But as soon as you somehow touch their book of fairy tales or their pedophile prophet- suddenly they are enraged
And you know what is the most fucked up thing in this? THEY ARE NOT ENRAGED, simply muslim elite uses such things as excuses to show their supposed superiority.
As if they have unique right to ***** and moan about every tiny thing they don't like and everyone else is supposed to simply accept it.

P.S. Friendly advice- don't read Koran, unless you are of strong mind, otherwise you'll get indoctrinated. I'm not kidding, even translated version is set in such way that it will change the way you are thinking, unless you keep your guard up.
P.P.S. Now I know how Illusive Man felt.
I read the Koran a few years back. Reminded me of the bible a lot to be honest, a thing designed to indoctrinate those of weak will and sense of self in order to control a populace that lacks the means to define itself as anything but servants to a mythical being.

OT: Meh, Favela is kinda shit anyway (the proof being that I'm a s hit COD player, I just can't run and gun, and I managed to hit 30 kills with no deaths by shotgun on that awful awful map...) and who the hell still plays MW2? I got to level 26 and jacked cuz I was bored.

BUt really the Muslims need to stiffen that upper lip and stop being so easily upset by everything. Here's the thing: religion does not grant you absolute power over everything everyone else does.

Your book says homosexuality is bad. I have many books that say otherwise.

Hang on there's a Billy Connolly clip for this:

2 mins is where it gets semi-relevant!
4:46 is the quote I was thinking of, but I don't know how to set a start point on here.

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
maninahat said:
As to the issue of "it's just a picture", you should realise that humans place more than just a face value on certain things. As I said, we lack an immediate parallel in non-muslim cultures, so to demonstrate my point, I'll have to use an extreme example: When grave stones get vandalised we get pissed off. If someone turned around to you and said "it's just a carved rock", that probably won't make the pill any easier to swallow. It's more than just a carved rock to you, so you'd still be fucking furious if you caught someone kicking it over. That might give you the vaguest idea of what a muslim feels like when they see "just a picture".
Agreed but say I saw someone kicking over a grave, I confront them. They explain that they made and own the grave. Also that it is even a real grave and in fact is a virtual grave in a video game and they didn't anyone would see it because it is so small and out of the way.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
charge52 said:
I really don't understand why the Muslim's are upset over a painting saying "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty". Did they misspell Allah, is this insulting? I just don't fucking get it!
The fact it is in a toilet maybe, because it is a dirty place not fit for him. Just guessing.
But surely everybody, including islamic prophets, poops? :O

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I hope I see people actually grow the **** up within my lifetime.

I have nothing against religion, any religion, but bitching about something you saw in a video game should probably be beneath anything related to whatever "god" you believe in.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Aw, I quite liked Favela.

Oh well. At least Sub Base is still there. She's my baby. :D

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
SkarKrow said:
blackrave said:
Funny people- they don't mind that they are being killed in hundreds every day
But as soon as you somehow touch their book of fairy tales or their pedophile prophet- suddenly they are enraged
And you know what is the most fucked up thing in this? THEY ARE NOT ENRAGED, simply muslim elite uses such things as excuses to show their supposed superiority.
As if they have unique right to ***** and moan about every tiny thing they don't like and everyone else is supposed to simply accept it.

P.S. Friendly advice- don't read Koran, unless you are of strong mind, otherwise you'll get indoctrinated. I'm not kidding, even translated version is set in such way that it will change the way you are thinking, unless you keep your guard up.
P.P.S. Now I know how Illusive Man felt.
I read the Koran a few years back. Reminded me of the bible a lot to be honest, a thing designed to indoctrinate those of weak will and sense of self in order to control a populace that lacks the means to define itself as anything but servants to a mythical being.

OT: Meh, Favela is kinda shit anyway (the proof being that I'm a s hit COD player, I just can't run and gun, and I managed to hit 30 kills with no deaths by shotgun on that awful awful map...) and who the hell still plays MW2? I got to level 26 and jacked cuz I was bored.

BUt really the Muslims need to stiffen that upper lip and stop being so easily upset by everything. Here's the thing: religion does not grant you absolute power over everything everyone else does.

Your book says homosexuality is bad. I have many books that say otherwise.

Hang on there's a Billy Connolly clip for this:

2 mins is where it gets semi-relevant!
4:46 is the quote I was thinking of, but I don't know how to set a start point on here.
Well, I finally managed to get a grip on what actually was wrong with Koran
The non-stop repetition- as if muslims have extremely short attention span and they will forget that Allah is allmighty if they aren't being reminded of this every freaking verse (or every second). Also the way how verses are written (that is the best explanation I have, sorry).
Bible is slightly lighter on that
But I must admit that it might be question of cultural perspective.
I wasn't raised on Bible, but I knew more of it than of Koran.
But again, I went through Torah with as little difficulties as with Bible.
So it might be me? Something about my mind that reacts badly on Koran? It is possible (unlikely, but possible).

P.S. Also religion and pedophilia for some reasons goes hand-to-hand. What's with that? It is about time another prophet shows with a new set of commandments. One should be that you treat fellow person as you want to be treated yourself. And another- that you don't fuck anything younger than 16-18 years.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
I have nothing against religion, any religion...
This is not me having a go at the person I quoted. I'm more just having a rant about the overall concept of the quote.

I wish people would have something against religion. In the 21st century, anyone that says (and believes) things like 'evolution is a lie' and that some dude on a cloud made everything and everybody, anyone who says that should be considered insane and have their judgement questioned.

If someone told you that they believed that Thor was still responsible for our thunderstorms, you'd think that person was mad. So why is it any less ridiculous to listen to people talk about heaven and hell, and paradise, and this life being meaningless, and god created everything, and the world is only a few thousand years old, and so on? And then (and this is the kicker) to have people running for public office publicly say this and not be laughed off stage?

Religion is bad. Religion starts wars. Religion promotes oppressing women. Religion encourages bigotry and closed mindedness. Amongst other things.

And before anybody gets started on the "but what about all the good charity work that religions do" - you don't need religion for that. You just need to be a good person. I do my bit for charities, and I'm not religious. Surely as a (gasp) atheist, I must be utterly selfish and reprehensible because I don't have a god...?

We have science, evidence, and vast amounts of knowledge - why do people still think it's acceptable for otherwise intelligent people to ignore all this and choose to believe something that has absolutely zero evidence and is totally and utterly illogical?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gilhelmi said:

What no one seems too get is that there are No, zero, zip, zilch, depictions of the Prophet Mohammed in the Muslim world. They believe that any image of Prophet Mohammed might lead some too start worshiping the picture itself and not Allah. I do not blame them for this, in my Christian walk, I have seen people claiming to be Christians do some pretty stupid thing in Christs name (even though they are contradicting Christ by doing some of the stupid but I digress).

So I say, this is legit.
No it isn't.

What Muslims seem to not get is this: I'm not religious, I'm not in the Muslim world, so why should this affect me or the tens of millions of other gamers not in the Muslim world? If people in the Muslim world want to get offended, then they can and perhaps boycott that map.

This is the crux of the issue that pisses off people who are not religious (or at the very least non-Muslim) - the world shouldn't have to change around a bunch of people who get offended by something. It doesn't matter what it is - writing on a wall, a stupid movie, women's rights, Britney Spears - people are entitled to be offended if they wish, just as everyone else is entitled to not care and not have someone else's offense affect their lives.
OK, I was going too use women's rights as a good example of tolerance but no, In your world women (or anyone else for that matter) have no right to complain about being offended.

LOL BAD RAPE-JOKE. Nope, by your logic, I can not tell you that joke is wildly offensive and you should learn sensitivity.

By your crazy logic Dr. Martin Luther King JR. should have just kept his opinions too himself and not try too change the world into one without racism.

Even better, By your insanity filled logic, the Abolitionist (those who fought too end Slavery in the US because Enslaving other humans is a sin) had NO RIGHT too talk back too those poor people in the Confederacy about how horrible and offensive slavery was.

After reading your, intolerance is great, logic I am going too go get a Beer and console the Founding Fathers of America, who I hear rolling over in their graves.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gilhelmi said:

So I say, this is legit.
No it isn't.

OK, I was going too use women's rights as a good example of tolerance but no, In your world women (or anyone else for that matter) have no right to complain about being offended.

LOL BAD RAPE-JOKE. Nope, by your logic, I can not tell you that joke is wildly offensive and you should learn sensitivity.

By your crazy logic Dr. Martin Luther King JR. should have just kept his opinions too himself and not try too change the world into one without racism.

Even better, By your insanity filled logic, the Abolitionist (those who fought too end Slavery in the US because Enslaving other humans is a sin) had NO RIGHT too talk back too those poor people in the Confederacy about how horrible and offensive slavery was.

After reading your, intolerance is great, logic I am going too go get a Beer and console the Founding Fathers of America, who I hear rolling over in their graves.
You're confusing crime (rape) with ideology. Although I suppose you could argue that if someone 'believes in' rape (what an awful thought) then that is an ideological argument too and, therefore, my post implies you don't have to be offended by it.

But anyway (head now spinning)... you're misunderstanding my point by saying I'm promoting intolerance. I'm not. If people want to get offended over some ideological idea from thousands of years ago, that's their right. I'm not stopping them. I just don't want the offended people to expect everyone else to be offended or even agree with them. It's totally subjective and it is your right to be offended. It's other people's right to disagree and/or not care.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
I forgot to address this in my previous reply.

Actually, no, you can't tell me whether a joke is offensive or not. You're entitled to your opinion as to whether a joke is offensive, and I may or may not agree with you, but you cannot force your opinion on me.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gilhelmi said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Gilhelmi said:

So I say, this is legit.
No it isn't.

You're confusing crime (rape) with ideology. Although I suppose you could argue that if someone 'believes in' rape (what an awful thought) then that is an ideological argument too and, therefore, my post implies you don't have to be offended by it.

But anyway (head now spinning)... you're misunderstanding my point by saying I'm promoting intolerance. I'm not. If people want to get offended over some ideological idea from thousands of years ago, that's their right. I'm not stopping them. I just don't want the offended people to expect everyone else to be offended or even agree with them. It's totally subjective and it is your right to be offended. It's other people's right to disagree and/or not care.
I am still not following. So by your logic I have no right too protest an injustice I see in the world, in hopes of peacefully changing peoples minds, Like Saint Martin Luther King JR? I, voicing my opinion in a free and open America, have no right to tell every one I see about this blatantly racist/sexist/homophobic/antisemitism/anti-chistian/just-plain-intolerant thing, in hopes that people will wake up and say,

"You know words are very hurtful, they do emotional damage to people. I did not realize that my views on this were oppressing and generating bad stereotypes. I will work to make myself better because of it."

You are not alone in your little world. Your words and actions affect people around you, even without you realizing it. Words can hurt someone just as badly as a knife. I have seen it, a persons spirit crushed by hateful words and and disgusting images. I will not stand by a say nothing, I will speak for tolerance.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It was a tale of butthurtness & double standards, where the demands of the many go ignored & the demands of the few were elevated to priority concern.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Insomniac55 said:
Does anyone think that the Muslims may get a degree of special treatment when it comes to things that offend them, due to the riots and such which were sparked off by that stupid video a few weeks back? And I'm not suggesting that Muslims are generally violent, just commenting on what the public perception may be for a while.

To illustrate my point, I can't see Smite getting altered to fit the demands of the Hindus, simply because I doubt there's a perception of the Hindus doing anything but complaining about it (which they have every right to do). However I doubt any publisher would dare create a game depicting Muhammad in the same light as the Hindu deities are in Smite.

Likewise, the tiny mistake of putting that picture in the wrong spot on that map, has prompted Activision to pull the map until the patch is out. Think about it... they haven't just said 'We'll make a patch and remove the texture', they've actually gone to the extent of pulling the map 'till the patch is ready.

It's almost like people are getting scared of offending the Muslims.
It has been like this for years in Canada it can get brutal at times.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Huh. I would think that they'd be more offended about being portrayed as bloodthirsty villains from a day-to-day basis. I guess they're cool with that. Just don't screw around with their prophet and toilets and we'll be all set.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Call of duty insultsi ntelligence of any gamer and therefore Activision should pull the game out from existence.
oh wait, only Muslims can be treated especially and the rest of the world is not.

Also, Islam getting a special treatment? And Christianity not? Last time I checked, gay marriage didn't get legalized in a lot of Christian countries because of Christians. Last time I checked, the church didn't have to pay any taxes.
but only Islam gets to ban stuff on a whim.