Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Legion said:
Subscriptism said:
Why don't any of the big corporations have the spines to tell them to fuck off and act like grown ass men instead of crying when their feelings get hurt.
Two words: Share Holders.

If they say anything that can tarnish the companies reputation in any way then they start to get nervous, and when they get nervous, they start to pull away from the company.

There is also the fact that people in the business of selling are very careful to avoid offending anybody normally. Each person is a potential customer, or somebody who could spread the word that the company has a problem, which could affect potential sales if enough people get annoyed.

In short, they don't have the guts to say it because it might lose them some money. They know the fans will whine, but still play, so they'd rather appease the complainers.
I knew that deep down but it still disappoints me. I don't know why I expect more from humans.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
There's a reason "islamophobia" has become a word now. This is the least of our problems, but a problem nonetheless, when game devs will buckle instantly to whiny bigoted religious extremists over something they have yet to grow up over.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I love the 'atheists are the most annoying group' catchphrase that's becoming increasingly popular with certain religious sects. It's like some sort of reverse psychology defense that they use to keep themselves feeling like they're the 'good guys', which is ironic, because it only makes them look even more bigoted

In other news, I support the removal of this map because I am a bathroom and I'm offended that Koran writings are on my digital cousins.

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
People get offended that a quote about Allah is in the bathroom. Ask nicely to remove the quote from the map.
Acitivision decides to remove the map until the fix that part.

The internet goes mad.

And people say Muslims are bad. Just look at this thread and the youtube page. You ask your self why religious people get offended when you write all the shit about their God?
Also, Islam getting a special treatment? And Christianity not? Last time I checked, gay marriage didn't get legalized in a lot of Christian countries because of Christians. Last time I checked, the church didn't have to pay any taxes.

Every religion is getting special treatment. Not just Islam.
Islam seems to be the only one that exercises that 'right'.

I don't like Islam in particular because the religion is worse than the other big ones, in that the general consensus for Muslims seems to be that the world should change to fit them (you know, REAL dark age oppression habits they haven't grown out of) rather than them having to live in a world where they can't control others.

Who gives a fuck if they "asked nicely" (Which I don't believe for a second is the whole truth)? Why should they get to dictate what the rest of the world does and sees?

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
What should have happened:
The Muslims politely requested the map changed (which did, props to the muslims)
Activistion acknowledged the request, published an official apology stating no harm was intended. (also happened)
And that's it really.

Possibly activision develops a patch and releases it at a later date.

There was no need for the pulling of maps. Bad move.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
I'm under the impression that this is literally nothing more than "Allah is beautiful and he loves beauty" being written on a bathroom wall.
Okay, so you're being incredibly literal and narrow in this. Gotcha. I was assuming you were taking a broader sense, since Christians lose their shit over trivial matters every day in this country.

But it's okay, because they don't specifically lose it over Jesus in the bathroom.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Seriously, these assholes again?

Why? Why do they get offended by the tiniest things, and then why do people bend over backwards to make them not offended.

I'm positive that it's not all muslims, not even close, it's a vocal and annoying minority of extremists who think that their religion entitles them to bully others into getting what they want.
Well you know what, your religion is not special, and it's not exempt from being portrayed in media like everyone else's.

If every other religion can take it on the chin, then the Muslim faith can too.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
I'm under the impression that this is literally nothing more than "Allah is beautiful and he loves beauty" being written on a bathroom wall.
Okay, so you're being incredibly literal and narrow in this. Gotcha. I was assuming you were taking a broader sense, since Christians lose their shit over trivial matters every day in this country.

But it's okay, because they don't specifically lose it over Jesus in the bathroom.
Original quote:

wabbbit said:
Yeah, because Islam is real different.....
Christians - even the extremists, wouldn't give a shit about this sort of thing in a game.

And even moreso, they sort-of-kind-of addressed your attempt at being broad about Christian behavior (which looks like back-pedaling right now).

Also, Christians protesting gay marriage and Muslims protesting some words in a texture are completely different things. I'm not getting into that debate.
Your response was "Not sure if serious". This is all they were referring to, and all I ever presumed we were referring to. YOU'RE the one who moved the goal-posts.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
charge52 said:
I really don't understand why the Muslim's are upset over a painting saying "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty". Did they misspell Allah, is this insulting? I just don't fucking get it!
The fact it is in a toilet maybe, because it is a dirty place not fit for him. Just guessing.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
wabbbit said:
They get tax exempt status due to being classes as a charity. Albeit a wealthy one.

Also, the gay marriage thing is a stupid argument. I never personally understood it.
If you know that the Christians don't allow gay marriage, why on earth would you want to become part of their religion? No logic.

This is why the Civil Partnership was brought in to give Gay couples the same rights under a different name. Makes perfect sense. Oddly the only gay people I know don't seem to mind about this, it tends to be the equal rights nutters who will protest over anything!
That's what I don't get. I don't see how religions are charities when the majority of what they do is not charity.

However, I know gay people who do have a problem with civil partnerships. Because having a different word for it implies that it is something different. Why couldn't they just have marriage apply to homosexuals? To please Christians and avoid making a fuss? Homosexuals are only different where we decide they are, and not being able to marry and use the same word for it is differentiation.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
blackrave said:
GoaThief said:
blackrave said:
I think you need to chill out a little bit, the Koran isn't loaded with more magick than any other religious text.

To make such a bold claim you better have some solid proof.
NLP isn't magic. I just said, that it might be the first religious text that started to use some NLP techniques.
Just to be sure, in what language have you read it?
Dude, you know that your posted link indicates that NLP is *utter bullshit*, right?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
spwatkins said:
blackrave said:
GoaThief said:
blackrave said:
I think you need to chill out a little bit, the Koran isn't loaded with more magick than any other religious text.

To make such a bold claim you better have some solid proof.
NLP isn't magic. I just said, that it might be the first religious text that started to use some NLP techniques.
Just to be sure, in what language have you read it?
Dude, you know that your posted link indicates that NLP is *utter bullshit*, right?
Please read more than a first paragraph!
Thank you.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
wabbbit said:
You forgot Atheists, who in my opinion are more annoying.
Most religions will keep themselves to themselves, but atheists constantly like to remind people why they are "wrong".

For the record, that would be offensive- not some writing on a frame. Sounds more like a description of "Postal" though!
I'm sorry, did you just say "Most religions will keep themselves to themselves"? Well I quoted you, so clearly you did.

Yes, because Atheists coming knocking on people's door at 7am on a weekend to discuss the merits of a dead jewish zombie carpenter and why their flavor of bullshit is superior to the other 51 flavors of bullshit available to the modern believer. Atheists fly planes into buildings and launch holy wars against people with different beliefs than they maintain.

Now then, because you clearly missed the "subtle" contextual clues that indicated sarcasm in my post, allow me to clarify it for you.

A "militant athiest" would hardly describe themselves as such, most militant people don't use the term militant to describe themselves (excluding NRA members). So right there I'm pointing out that I'm taking a jab at that particular flavor of self righteous athiest, rather than claiming to be one, which is ironic because I'm sounding like one in the upper part of my response to your incredible (incredible = lacking credibility or merit) statement that religions people don't bother other people, despite all of recorded history proving otherwise.

Point of fact, I describe myself (only when asked or provoked by stunningly oblivious responses) as an indifferent agnostic. I don't claim to know if there is a god, gods or divine force and I don't care. The concept of God or a Pantheon of gods is utterly irrelevant to my every day life.

What I do loath is people who spent any amount of time proselytizing to me or taking actions that effect a wider scope of people than just themselves. I'm offended by muslims insisting on a texture edit in a game. I'm offended by Jehovah's witness at my door. I'm offended by athiests demanding the removal of a nativity scene. I'm offended by your self righteous post that demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension of the difference between a sarcastic joke and a serious response.

Is that sufficiently understandable for you, or would you like me to print it up in a manifesto so my ever growing cult of worshipers can tell you about it?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I don't know here. I don't know if they should change it, but at least the guy was quite calm and generally a cool guy about it, rather than getting crazy ALLAH AKBAR *BOOM*.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Wow so once again a company bows to pressure because it "offended" someone.

DONT PLAY IT IF IT OFFENDS YOU! YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT IS AND IS NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE IT OFFENDS YOU.

God I hate how people act like their offense somehow matter.
I also hate companies that pander like that.

No I dont hate Muslims either.
I just hate people who demand something changes because it stepped on their religious or moral toes.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
nodlimax said:
So they are offended? Who cares? Let them be offended. They don't care if I find some of their behaviour offensive.

I think the Islam itself as a religion is offensive....so please change for me....
Well said, couldn't agree more.