Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Kaymish said:
it makes me sick how religious people can get away with saying "im offended by XYZ" and people will bend over backwards to accommodate them.
you know what offends me those stupid looking ankle boots, but will anyone bend over backwards to accommodate me? no they are still being worn everyday all over the world
I respectfully disagree with your generalisation of "religious people". I'm Christian, and if I complained about disrespectful treatment of my religion in some game, no-one would care. Now I'm not complaining; that's a very good thing. Artistic integrity shouldn't be compromised to avoid offence. I'm just saying it's not all religions which receive this special treatment; it's primarily Islam.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Really?

A game that's 3 years old and people are complaining or going to complain about the complainers?.

Let it go people it's 3 years old and what's done is done.
I think what most people are upset about is that this is one in a list of occasions where muslims appear to have been given special treatment, in fear of someone literally being hurt.

Not only that, but the ridiculous reasons for removing the content. Being offended by a quotation that potentially promotes Muhammad. A soundtrack being removed from a game simply because of a few words from the Koran?

This is a very small piece of a much larger picture.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
so, a guy claims he represents all muslim gamers and their actions will be ones he chooses (boycotting the company), and activision... listens?!

what the fuck. how about they just grow the fuck up. i'm not even hating on religion here, this is just fucking pathetic. stop being super butthurt about everything and carry on playing the game. besides, this game has been out for fucking years, and you only just noticed?

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
You know, I imagine that the quote wasn't even intended. I bet is was just some texture/level artist who looked at it and thought, 'oh, that'd make a nice frame for a picture.' They probably didn't even realise it was Arabic.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Apparently the person who made the video didn't even intend for the map to be taken down.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
unacomn said:
Hold up a sec... that's all it takes to make them change a game on dime?

Alright, Activision, listen up. I'm part of a the Zamolxianist gaming community, there's millions of us, and we are offended by your repetitive games that show little to no improvement year after year. We ask you to change this, or we will boycott your games.

There, gaming industry fixed. Nobel prize please.

If they don't that that'd just be discrimination, double whammy!
Oh, haven't you heard? Hating CoD isn't cool anymore. The trend is over and all the cool kids are looking for something else to hate. It's cliché.

In fact, hating CoD become to popular and so mainstream, all the hipsters are actually considering to start playing CoD instead, you know, just to stand out.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
I think this has been made into a much bigger deal than it needs to be. A Muslim found an image offensive and asked Infinity Ward to remove it, and Infinity Ward did. The removal of the image doesn't change the gameplay and apparently makes the game more attractive to Muslim gamers--therefore, more people will play the game. Also apparently, the map is still playable, just not in rotation until the patch is done.

Then again, I'm generally extremely optimistic.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Of course, we all know that giving a bully what he wants will make him stop bullying.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Baron_Rouge said:
Kaymish said:
it makes me sick how religious people can get away with saying "im offended by XYZ" and people will bend over backwards to accommodate them.
you know what offends me those stupid looking ankle boots, but will anyone bend over backwards to accommodate me? no they are still being worn everyday all over the world
I respectfully disagree with your generalisation of "religious people". I'm Christian, and if I complained about disrespectful treatment of my religion in some game, no-one would care. Now I'm not complaining; that's a very good thing. Artistic integrity shouldn't be compromised to avoid offence. I'm just saying it's not all religions which receive this special treatment; it's primarily Islam.
You say that, but what about the whole gay marriage debate. What's worse, Call of Duty players going without a map for a few weeks, or gay people not being able to marry? The arguments against gay marriage seem to be almost purely, it ruins the sanctity of marriage as set out by God. That is a case of Christians complaining and other people's actions being limited, harmless actions I'd hasten to add.

Now, if Activision hadn't pulled the map, and simply said that they planned to edit it, I'd be all for it. Does it really matter what it says on some bathroom wall, I'm guessing 99.99% of Cod players had no idea about it. Just change it to some graffiti saying 'Kilroy was here' and be done with it.

However, in most situations, fuck it if someone gets offended (be they Muslim, Christian, or whatever), that's their problem and they should learn to live with it. But something this small, eh, why not. And that 2 part episode of South Park should be required viewing for everyone involved (you know the one I mean).

But yeah, Christian whining continues to deprive people of marriage (admittedly, I checked your profile and have no idea what the situation is in Australia), so it's not just Muslims. Muslims just seem to get the most sway when it comes to petty, pointless bullshit.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Milanezi said:
Between you and me, I never saw religious texts inside restrooms hahahaha
I have.
The building that has the theology-department on our university has theological debates on the bathroom doors, including quotes, mostly of the Bible.
And I've seen religious messages on public toilets, apparently to proselytize.

charge52 said:
I really don't understand why the Muslim's are upset over a painting saying "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty". Did they misspell Allah, is this insulting? I just don't fucking get it!
Obviously Muslims aren't some group-mind who all think alike and get all offended at the same things, but I can think of reasons for why some muslims would complain about it:

-they think it's offensive to associate their holy texts with bathrooms
-They'd prefer that their religion wasn't associated with such a game at all
- They suppose it's meant as offensive somehow, because US = evil, even if they can't really point out how it's offensive exactly.
- They complained just to get publicity
- They like to whine about things
- They aren't even sure what the quote actually is (or even played the game), they just heard a game made fun of their religion and wanted to get in on the complaining.

Terramax said:
A soundtrack being removed from a game simply because of a few words from the Koran?
Was that removed just to avoid Muslims being offended? And not because they didn't want to put something religious in it? You wouldn't get complaints just from Muslims, but also from Christians who wouldn't want their kid getting 'influenced' by Islam. (As well as members of other religions, and also non-religious people)

I think the original intent for including such content is important in judging the response.
If the quote was put in there knowing it was a religious quote, they knew what they were doing, and should stand behind their choices.

But if it was put in there just to look nice, finding out it has religious meaning might be reason to change it. I don't think they necessarily should, but I can see why an artist/designer might want the product to reflect their original intent.

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
FelixG said:
BiH-Kira said:
And people say Muslims are bad. Just look at this thread and the youtube page. You ask your self why religious people get offended when you write all the shit about their God?
>Snarky comments about a retarded religion
>People of said religion start killing people cause they are offended

Yeah, cause they are really the same! /sarcasm
This. Well, maybe just point 2.

No post says that Christianity is perfect, but Christians are a lot more passive and wouldn't demand that people can't do something in a game.

I don't care what religion you are, if you get offended by a texture in a game then.... yeah...

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lilani said:
Insomniac55 said:
It's almost like people are getting scared of offending the Muslims.
I think considering all that's going on in the middle east, and especially with all the riots that have occurred lately, people are trying to keep well away from offending Muslims. As you said, you don't see this with any other religion. That Hitman trailer had those sexy, murderous nuns, but the only people who were complained about it were gamers, not Catholics. The Binding of Isaac retold the story of Isaac and Abraham but replaced Abraham with a mad woman, and had Isaac running through his basement to escape which appeared to be a pseudo-representation of hell. And there are upside-down crosses and misused/abused/parodied imagery and symbolism scattered throughout other games like Dante's Inferno.

Christian symbolism, lore, and organizations get misused way more than Islam, and much more maliciously. The only thing I think we do worse with Islam is that for a while now, the only time you ever see a Muslim in games is if they are a terrorist you've got to shoot down. At least with Christianity we've gotten awesome characters like Father Grigori in HL2.

So it seems Christians have gotten to the point where we couldn't care less what people do with our imagery (or we don't care if they do complain), but Muslims do care to the point where they want to intervene. The article said they changed it because they saw the video, and the person who wrote the video had this in the description: "Hello, i never asked IW to take the map down, we only asked them to remove the picture and i think its our right, and any religion's right.."

Well, no. It's not your right, or any religion's right. Your rights stop where the rights of others begin. I may not like how Christian organizations are almost always used in games as a hotbed for corruption and illicit activities, but it's all just words. Sticks and stones may break my bones, and all that. I understand the teachings of Islam are different from Christianity, and that there is much more emphasis and importance placed on using symbolism properly. But something has to happen within Islamic organizations, I think, because we are global now and like it or not you are going to come across people who--either accidentally or maliciously--want to misuse and parody your imagery and stories. And if free speech is going to work, you can't expect them to stop just because you find it offensive.

BiH-Kira said:
Every religion is getting special treatment. Not just Islam.
But, as I just pointed out, not when it comes to pulling punches whenever somebody makes something that is "offensive."
I just want to point out - Assassin's Creed had a Muslim protagonist, whose friends and allies were all Muslim too.

OT: Ridiculous, as always. Maybe I should complain about the sheer amount of Union Flags in the London map of Modern Warfare 3. I've been to London. I live in England. Twenty years and I've never seen that many flags in one place. This is racism. I demand that map be removed until we can have a more accurate depiction of the United Kingdom.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
It took them this long for them to complain about a modern military game for being anti-islamic? Wow. If religion is getting this sloppy in it's suits, maybe we can finally take down the-cult-of-L-Ron-Hubbard-that-shall-not-be-named-in-case-his-lawyers-are-watching.

Primero Holodon

Oct 18, 2011
Rellik San said:
Well then, let me ask you guys, can you imagine a game (that isn't a horror one) using Christian imagery in a way offensive to Christians? Middle America would be up in arms and the game would be changed despite a vast portion of the world not being Christians, or at least not massively conservative ones. The game would get changed.
Assassins creed? and in the non gaming world you have family guy, South park and the Simpsons among others.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
What the fuck, how entitled can you get? I mean, these Muslims had the sheer audacity to go whining to Activision over how offended they are. And Activision just bends over backwards! If I were Activision, I would put the quote in the damn toilet.

Except, wait, that would be stupid. Activision was trying to be accurate with the quote, but messed up in a way that is small but also majorly offensive. So some people asked Activision to correct this, and Activision agreed because they don't want to needlessly offend and the quote was meant to be a detail that made the map seem more lived in anyway, so they might as well get it fixed. No-one was hurt in this.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
blackrave said:
I think you need to chill out a little bit, the Koran isn't loaded with more magick than any other religious text.

To make such a bold claim you better have some solid proof.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
unacomn said:
Hold up a sec... that's all it takes to make them change a game on dime?

Alright, Activision, listen up. I'm part of a the Zamolxianist gaming community, there's millions of us, and we are offended by your repetitive games that show little to no improvement year after year. We ask you to change this, or we will boycott your games.

There, gaming industry fixed. Nobel prize please.

If they don't that that'd just be discrimination, double whammy!
You Sir, are a genius. You win the internet for today. :p

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
They probably changed it as soon as possible because they were afraid of Muslim extremists storming their offices and blowing/shooting it up with AK's and RPG-7's. As that has been happening a lot lately.