Must read Science Fiction/Fantasy books?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
blakfayt said:
Hubilub said:
There's a series of books I always recommend in cases like this:

David Edding's The Belgariad.

One of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

In lack of a better description for it, it's if Lord of the Rings had better dialogue and more lovable characters (Might get flack for that one)
You sir have made my day, also do not forget the other amazing books by Eddings, like The Redemption of Althalus (my personal favorite) and the Malloreon, and the Elenium and the Tamuli, so basically everything but the dreamers.
He was taken from us far too early.

Rest in Peace, you crazy author.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
blakfayt said:
Hubilub said:

In lack of a better description for it, it's if Lord of the Rings had better dialogue and more lovable characters (Might get flack for that one)
You sir have made my day, also do not forget the other amazing books by Eddings, like The Redemption of Althalus (my personal favorite) and the Malloreon, and the Elenium and the Tamuli, so basically everything but the dreamers.
The Redemption of Althalus is probably my favorite book ever.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
No one here will know off it but i couldn't reccomend this author more:

Bernard Werber, the best sci fi author to have come out of france period (cue anti french jokes). Seriously, the guy not only writes like a god but the themes of his books are just mind blowing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Werber for a bio

I particularly reccomend the Thanotaunautes series, it follows a team of scientists trying to pierce the mysteries of the afterlife in the first book, and as the series progresses....
Well let's just say the main character goes from being a human to an angel in the afterlife to being a student god participating in a rl version of civilization :) All whilst on a quest to find out what lies beyond the next mystery and "who made us?". The ending will make you :O

Butterfly of the stars is also a personal favorite, about man's last ditch attempt to commence an exodus through space to escape their doomed homeworld. A classic scenario, but along the way....Plenty of twists and turns and an alternative explanation of a fair number of religious mythos :) The ending will also make you :O

These aren't all time classics yet, but they will be given another few hundred years (they are that good). If you're feeling brave and experimental try a book from this guy, only "the peres de no peres" is meh imo (and only because it ressembles too much other books+has a somewhat boring theme in comparison to the others). Everything else is friggin golden.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
With Folded Hands and it's sequel ...And Searching Minds are pretty good. They also explain why having robotic servants are a bad idea.

Mr Jack

Sep 10, 2008
If you want some good hard Science Fiction, give Revelation Space or Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds a go.

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

A detective-style cyberpunk novel about a cyber-samurai called Hiro Protagonist who delivers pizzas for the mafia. Despite how cheesy that sounds, the book takes itself fairly seriously.

EDIT:
Also anything by Stephen Baxter, I liked his "Destiny's Children" and and "A Time Odyssey" (the latter co-authored with Arthur C. Clarke) series the best.

BaZacre

Nov 18, 2009
Definitely read some Asimov, he's the OG of sci-fi. In addition to the Foudation series, especially if you get bored of it, try the robot series, which starts with The Caves of Steel. They're an awesome series of murder mysteries set in a really interesting imagined future.

Dune is must, of course.

Finally, they're not quite THE cannon but do yourself a solid and read Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, they're especially fun to read if you're a gamer.

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
The Young Wizard Series. Seriously, I can't stress this enough.
The beginning of the books are a bit more kid-friendly than you might expect, but the later books get a bit more dark. Apparently, the philosophy of the series is that sacrifice has to happen when fighting against evil. Of course, by 'sacrifice,' I mean that literally.

They may not be classics, per se, but they do an amazing job of blending fantasy and science fiction together. I highly recommend them.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
Axolotl said:
Hello everyone. I'm currently in the mood to read more Sci-Fi and Fantasy to try and become more of a fan of the genre. Now I've already read a decent ammount but I'm looking to get a handle on the classic and sort of "must-read" books of the genre.

For Science Fiction I'm fairly unfamilar with what to get, I've read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Chrysalids and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep other than that all Ive read have been tie-in books (Red Dwarf, Warhammer 40k)and turn of the centuary affairs like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. So any help here would be apprciated. I've bought and am planning to read Dune and Ringword before anyone suggests them. I'm mainly looking for the sort of all time classics here.

With Fantasy I'm a bit more knowledgeable having read Tolkein, Pratchett and Moorcock as well as books by other notable writers. I'm also mid way through reading The Dark Tower, Princess of Mars and A Game of Thrones. I'm always looking out for things from the old greats (Leiber, Howard, Vance) but they're hard to find, so here I'm looking for modern greats. Just note I dislike multi-book series in general, I'll read them but I dislike the idea.

If you've read this far then thank you, I look forward to seeing what people suggest.
Well as for sci-fi, if you're into Star Wars there is a fantastic expanded universe with a plethora of authors raging from excellent to sadly cliched.

Other than that you mentioned all of the sci-fi books/series I'm familiar with.

Fantasy on the other hand, I can recommend some things. Definitely finish out A Song of Ice and Fire if you enjoyed A Game of Thrones (though Dance of Dragons will probably NEVER come out) Also I suggest the gamut of novels from the Forgotten Realms collection citing authors R.A. Salvatore (he does write multi-book series though you can buy them in giant collectors editions that are essentially one long book) and Ed Greenwood. I only mention those two because most Forgotten Realms authors write in three book mini-series. And you mentioned your dislike of that idea. Ed Greenwood also does series, but recently has been publishing stand alone novels. Checking out the Fighters collection and the Citadel collections (all stand-alones) might be to your taste.

Be warned though that most of the authors I just suggested tend to write action-heavy stories. Salvatore has some excellent character development, but you would have to read more than one book in the very long series to really appreciate it. Primarily I read fantasy and sci-fi for pure entertainment; so the books I choose tend to be fast books with action that moves at a nice clip, with pre-developed characters. I.E., the characters tend to not learn something profound about themselves or go through some spiritual life altering experience.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
I'll cast another vote for Edding's Belgariad and Mallorean as well as anything by Issac Asimov.

Plus

Harry Turtledove's In the Balance series (Best alien invasion story ever)
and
S.M. Sterling's Dies the Fire series. (Bringing the dark ages back to the 21st century)

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I guess i'l say it first, if it counts... H.P Lovecraft has a brilliant selection of Sci-Fi Fantasy. You should just buy the commerative edition which includes a ton of his stories, its called The Necronomicon.

rookie.of.the.year

Jul 30, 2010
Hubilub said:

I think David eddings in general is a good reccommend :)
But the belgariad is one half of a series, along with the mallorean which is like 10 books in total, so its a bit of a commitment.

Lemon Detective said:
Jurassic park is a great read, I recommend it.
This is what I would have said, along with Prey and The Andromeda Strain, though Crighton is a very science-heavy author so they're not exactly light romps.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
The Star Wars Thrawn trilogy written by Timothy Zahn, excellent sequels to the movie, they also develop everything we saw at the end of Empire, and add a villian who rivals Vader and The Emperor in pure fear.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
The sword of truth series and the Malloreon by david eddings brilliant charecters loved silk and beldin

rookie.of.the.year

Jul 30, 2010
Also, if you've played Dragon Age, The Stolen Throne and The Calling were pretty good :)
With good insights into the history of Awakening and of Ferelden in general :)

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Dresden files definately as far as fantasy is concerned.
Player Of Games, of the Culture-series by Iain M. Banks on the sci-fi front.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Dan Abbnet's stuff

First men in the moon

Ender's game

Have Space Suit, Will travel

The moon is a harsh mistress.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
If you haven't read William Gibson's Sprawl series, you need to now. Also, more Philip K Dick never hurt anyone.
Looks like my suggestions...... got cyberpunked I know Horatio was in Miami, but I prefer Grissom to Horatio, anyways. Well, since someone ninja'd Sprawl, read some Neal Stephenson.