Mutant-Hunting Robot and Chinese Ghost Finalize MvC3 Lineup

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mutant-Hunting Robot and Chinese Ghost Finalize MvC3 Lineup

Capcom has revealed the final characters to join the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster, and there are absolutely no surprises here.

In case you're late to the party, an anonymous Twitter poster revealed a rumored complete roster for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106148-Twitter-Poster-Supposedly-Reveals-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Secrets] back in December. Since then, reveal after reveal has been in line with the December predictions - and now that Capcom has announced the final two fighters, we know what we suspected all along: Mr. Twitter Poster was right on the money.

The two final characters joining the MvC3 roster are Hsien-Ko for Capcom and a Sentinel robot for Marvel. Hsien-Ko, of Darkstalkers fame, is a jiang-shi - often referred to as a "Chinese vampire," but in practice some weird crazy hybrid of a vampire, a ghost and a zombie. She also has really weird stretchy limbs.

Sentinel should be familiar to any X-Men fans, as the design has become one of the most recognizable Marvel symbols since Professor X's mutants first took the stage. The Sentinel robots are meant to hunt down dangerous mutants, and they come equipped with all sorts of nasty weaponry, like laser cannons and rocket punches.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 fans may remember that in a game often known for its staggering lack of balance, Sentinel was one of the most egregiously overpowered of the lot. Judging from the gameplay trailers seen here, that hasn't changed an iota.

Capcom, you still have no idea how to balance Sentinel, do you? Oh well.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ok, it's official. I'm still getting the game, but I'm staying the fuck away from online play. Because now everyone and their mother is going to use Storm/Magneto/Sentinal every other fucking match.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Mr. Omega said:
Ok, it's official. I'm still getting the game, but I'm staying the fuck away from online play. Because now everyone and their mother is going to use Storm/Magneto/Sentinal every other fucking match.
Somethings never change.

On another note I literally just checked the MvC3 roster like an hour ago on a hunch. Looks like I was only an hour early :p

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
No surprise here what with all the leaked info and that rumor list being spot on.

God damn Sentinel is overpowered. I can see players spamming his long range attacks. Hsien seems to play different and her fighting style seems 'refreshing' and if I'm correct this is her first 3D appearance. Not bad overall.

I must now get this game. Been awhile since I played a good fighter.

Jan 27, 2011
Oh gosh. Sentinel still looks totally overpowered. Not good. At least make him take up two slots, Tatsunoko VS Capcom style!

And that weird-japanese-cat-character......why does she look so familiar? ....Where the hell do I know her from? Was she in MvC2? I didn't play it that much, so it might be that my memory is just failing me.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
John Funk, why you steal news from me? D: I posted this up last night... -goes and cries in the corner-

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I'm still giving this roster a resounding "meh". I like that they're doing new things and all, but I just don't see any kind of unifying theme here (which supposedly is a big deal this time, as the game has some sort of story beyond "that guy's trying to kill you/destroy the world, get him!")

It lost a lot of points in my book when they dropped Mega Man. This could have been the perfect stage for X's debut.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited to play after so many years. But... what the hell Capcom?

laryri

May 19, 2008
Sentinel does not look anywhere near as powerful. His moves have a lot of startup so it shouldn't be too hard to hit him out of them, plus his damage output is lower.

aegix drakan said:
And that weird-japanese-cat-character......why does she look so familiar? ....Where the hell do I know her from? Was she in MvC2? I didn't play it that much, so it might be that my memory is just failing me.
She was in both Puzzle Fighter and Gem Fighter so maybe that's where you know her from? She wasn't in MvC2.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
What is this I don't even...

That's one big ass over-powered robot. Hsien-ko, however, just might replace X-23 in my dream team of Wesker, Dante/Amaterasu & X-23.

[sub]Hsien reminds me of Tao...[/sub]

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
When I heard Chinese Ghost my soul screamed 'Mandarin? OMG!'
Ah well. Look cool. Too bad Sentinel isn't even Nimrod or something that'd make sense for this sort of game.

Jan 27, 2011
laryri said:
She was in both Puzzle Fighter and Gem Fighter so maybe that's where you know her from? She wasn't in MvC2.
PUZZLE FIGHTER! That's it! THAT'S where I know her from!

:D You have just saved me a sleepless night. Thanks.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
If it was me, I would personally only remove two characters from each side:

Capcom: Trish and Spencer
Marvel: Sentinel and X-23

Those slots could have been filled with better characters.
(Like I don't know.. Starforce Megaman, Akira (Rival Schools), Morph(Exiles) (personal favourite. too niche though...) , and Morlun(He is so badass!) of the top of me head...)

Glad I still pre-ordered though, looks to be a blast.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
Saying that one character (in this case, Sentinel) is overpowered in a game type that, in essence is derived from an arcade game where the aim was to play through sequentially more difficult baddies untill you won, is, frankly, stupid. The appeal of playing as your favourite character of the series should be the appeal in buying the game, not having a mode where pure skill is all that you use.

The game has distinct characters for a reason, to suggest that all characters should be equally balanced, would end up restricting all characters to the same moveset, range, and abilities.
If you want balance, play something where balance and by extension, skill are the main aims in the competetive play.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Sentinel is quite easy to beat. Most of its moves are telegraphed and have hideous cool-down times; a missed Rocket Punch leaves the arms open (a la Dhalsim), Sentinel Force can be easily evaded and Plasma Storm takes a good 2 second charge unblocked.

Omega Red or anyone with long distance/toe-tap attacks can floor it. If Chun Li still has the medium/down kick, she can just toe-tap across most of it's attacks.

aegix drakan said:
laryri said:
PUZZLE FIGHTER! That's it! THAT'S where I know her from!

:D You have just saved me a sleepless night. Thanks.
Hsien-Ko was originally from Darkstalkers I believe. Not the first one, but the second. And...random factoid time, the jiang-shi (Hopping Vampires) can be stopped by dropping rice on the floor, which they have to count - which is where Count Von Count (Ah Ah Ah!) is thought to have originated from.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh.

The one bright spot about Sentinel being in the game is that it seems like he hasn't changed much. In a game where there are now more characters with insane keep away and other characters with insanely fast attacks and movement speed, Sentinel may not be all that powerful in the end. I look forward to seeing everyone who builds their teams based on the old MvC2 tier lists to hopefully get destroyed in MvC3... though Storm is still reportedly a beast of a character.

Hsien-Ko looks kind of cool but, for me, no Strider basically means no purchase. I've never been a huge Vs series fan and Strider was the only thing that kept me interested in MvC1 and 2 as long as I was (which, admittedly, wasn't even that long at all).

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
No Jon Talbain? Capcom needs to alter his move list and put him in more games. He has excellent artwork and backstory, which gives him a lot of fans, but a bad combination of moves which makes him difficult to use. He needs some new moves and to be put in more games.