MW3 no different than MW2....(some MW3 gameplay)

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
All this MW3 hate is exactly the same as the MW2 hate. God, what unoriginal hating.

I'll be sure to buy multiple copies of the game just to make sure it gets that "Best selling game of all time" record.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Well, I sure as hell am not going to buy MW3. Im not getting sucked into the hype machine again...

Although, I'm definitely going to rent it, or play it at a friends house.

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
Iron Mal said:
Sorry to single you out (it was the Silent Hill movie avatar, serously, if you liked that film then it kinda makes this a 'pot calling the kettle black' situation here).

You don't think this is anything more than a repackaged MW2 most likely because you aren't a CoD fan, it's understandable if you didn't give the video more than a surface glance and elected that because it looks graphically similar that it must be similar.

It's fine if you aren't interested in MW3 (no-one's saying you have to be) but it would be unfair to say that the Modern Warfare series hasn't had anything in the way of innovation over time. Just look at CoD4 and MW2, both look very similar (both use the same engine I believe) and have very similar gameplay but you'd be outright in denial if you tried to claim that there had been no change or advancements between the two (MW2 added more choices, variety and flexability to the game, it also changed the levelling up system slightly to increase the speed at which you level so that it's less of an uphill battle to unlock the fancier weapons, a problem I frequently had with World at War).

So based on that is it fair to say that MW3 (a game neither of us have played) will be exactly the same as MW2 just because there are some recurring weapons in it?

That'd be like saying games like Silent Hill and Bioshock are instantly boring and not worth paying attention to because they don't involve terrorists or space marines (overall, you're essentially making the same judgement).
1st thing; My avatar has less to do with the movie, then it has for my love of the games. The best 'Silent Hill avatar' I could find was from the movie, so that's what I went with. I would have preferred one from SH3, but the movie one looked cooler as a avatar so you know.

2nd thing; I am a CoD fan and watch this video closely, along with a few others on 'youtube'. I own CoD Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2 & Black Ops.

"it would be unfair to say that the Modern Warfare series hasn't had anything in the way of innovation over time"

What? I didn't say anything about the Modern Warfare series as a whole. You may be right about the advancements between Cod4 & MW2 regarding choices, variety and flexibility. Plus the leveling system you mentioned. But that is not what I was talking about. This thread is about MW2 vs MW3 and the differences between the two (or lack thereof).

"That'd be like saying games like Silent Hill and Bioshock are instantly boring and not worth paying attention to because they don't involve terrorists or space marines"

Anybody saying that will most likely hate horror themed games. While most of the people on this thread love Cod and FPS genres in general, they just don't like how little has changed from MW2 to MW3. So no, I really don't think it's making the same judgement.

Anyways, the bottom line is this;
I love Modern Warfare, however based on what I have seen 'so far' I'm not prepared to pay $60 for this game. If it turns out to be badass I gladly admit I was wrong and will pick it up.

But, as for right now I will pass.

ChickenZombie

May 25, 2011
Mw1.75.

But seriously, isn't that what MW fans want? They dont want some rediculously new game with new issues to adress. They are getting the game they expect, with previous issues being adressed. People play COD to play COD, not to get a brand new experience every time a game is released, because they like it the way it is.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
It seems like CoD is becoming the Walmart of first person shooters. They're by no means the best, but they're the most common, and at least somewhat reliable. We all know it's going to sell, but I don't think the people buying it are idiots. They've probably known for a while now that they'll basically be buying $60 DLC, but it can be a pretty good social game for people who's friends play it. And in Activision and Infinity Ward's defense, the CoD gameplay formula is actually pretty decent. It's just a shame that they are a bunch of lazy money-hungry assholes.

Otherworld_Odd

Jul 7, 2010
You think they could have at least improved the graphics with the money they made from the last one. This is them just milking everyone for their money. I'm buying Battlefield, screw this game.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Reman Khaar said:
Of course it's just MW2 with one or two tiny additions. That is the exact same difference between MW2 and Black Ops, the same between Black Ops and MW1.. They're all the same damned game every year, just like Madden NFL 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12...

I hate the gaming industry. -_-
But its not the same damned game every year, the minute you make changes to something it is no longer the same.
EDIT:
And to everyone saying they are going to buy Battlefield and not this-you really aren't buying something that's different. Battlefield 3 looks like it plays exactly the same as Battlefield Bad Company 2, or even Battlefield 2 (its been ages since I've played that so I can't recall very well how that played), sure the story is different and the graphics are nicer but other then that it looks like it plays the same. Does that mean its bad? No. Does it mean its the exact same game? No, because again when you change something no matter how miniscule it may be; it is not longer the same game.

MW3 may play and look exactly like MW2, but that doesn't mean its unworthy of being made because of that fact. A lot of games play exactly like their predecessor, its when you get into the nitty-gritty of the new story and what they have changed or added; that the games become two separate things. No matter how much you might hate the IP in question, there will never be two games that are exactly the same as one another, there will always be changes. And while your personal disliking of the IP may compel you to say other wise, it does not change the fact that the very definition of something being the same means there can't be change.

Oh, and I am not a Call of Duty fan just so you know-I think the series is terrible, in fact I think most FPSs are terrible-it's just started to really annoy me lately when people insist on calling something the same, when there are clearly differences that mean it can no longer be the same.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Lets see add new perks and just tweak a few settings and BAM MW3. Sigh...

I heard an interesting tidbit. MW3 E3 trailer: 13-17 year old demographic
BF3 trailer? 17-25 year old demographic.
Hmm...

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
yuval152 said:
AkaDad said:
So different story and different setting means it's not different. I learn something new everyday.
different settings?!?!?! the maps are just reskinned and combined with older maps.Look at the first map at the first video it's combined beteween two maps from MW1 and MW2.
How petty can you guys get? Now you're just looking for, if not making up excuses to say the game is the same.

Yes, the guns are the same because we're still in the same time period, although several got reskinned, but we'll be visiting new locations which will hopefully open up new tactics, and the trailer shows at least a few mechanics not seen in MW2 (granted, I only got the game recently in a Steam sale to see what the fuss is about so I might not have seen everything yet).

If we want to take cheap shots we could also just as easily say that BF3 will largely be a graphical update for BF2, with another abundance of desert and urban maps, with largely the same factions as last time duking it out. Using the same tools and weapons. Now with added big notifications of headshots and similar. And if we want to be really cheap we can start laughing at how you can't even change servers without exiting the game, or not even play the game without installing and running EA's intrusive Origin software.

Just accept both games for what they are, decent enough FPS games that show different aspects of modern warfare. And neither is perfect in executing that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Red Orchestra 2 beta to get back to.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Gotta say, I'm really disappointed by MW3. I expected them to at least try to make it better, MW2 improved upon MW really well in multiplayer. But this literally looks like MW2 DLC.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
As much as I believe you have the right to like both, Battlefield 3 will be better than Modern Warfare 3.
Even if Battlefield 3 doesn't play all that well, at least it will look awesome. People are saying that Modern Warfare 3 looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2, but really they are wrong in that they both look like the first Modern Warfare.

The reason I say this is that since I hadn't played a Call of Duty game since 3, I decided to barrow the original Modern Warfare from my friend. Looking at the graphics from that MW3 video, those graphics look exactly like the original MW.

From that video I can see they are playing it on an Xbox 360. I know I'll probably get some kind of PC person commenting how I am wrong, but I know that 360 games can have better graphics than that, I own and have played 360 games that have had better graphics than that.

As we all know, this is just Activision making Infinity Ward use the same graphics engine, because if they changed the engine to use the 360 at 100% capability, that would mean that the game would come out in possibly 2 years rather than the (Activision) normal barely one year.

Heck, you can tell it is the same thing because the symbol used to mean that there is a grenade thrown at your feet, looks exactly like the one from the original MW. They didn't even have the decency to change the symbol so it actually looks like a grenade instead of a fly blob on the TV screen(the actual problem I had when I played the MW, I'd be blown up before I even realized there was a grenade to be thrown back).

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
As I said I would do, now that I am finally able to get back into this thread, I have got rid of the double post. A good thing since it was really long.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
You know how when people say "The only people who buy Madden every year are the manic-obsessive people who needs roster updates"? I am one of those people. I've been 112 games into a MLB season, only to quit and start all over because my rosters were off by one player in AA. But I'm getting Madden later... Disgaea 4 comes first.
This is what I am like with Fifa 11, soon to be Fifa 12.

I just refuse to start a career mode with my team, because watching them play live, then going back home and playing Fifa 11 with last seasons squad just doesn't feel right. Of course there will be lots of good, new features in Fifa 12 which I am looking forward to, but this is the main one.

I don't care if people say it isn't worth the money, it is too me. They do change things as well, lots of people just tend not to look past the graphics, and the fact you play football (soccer) in game.

I guess the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover" can be applied here?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
All the Modern Warfares really are all the same game. They're the same fun game, but they're still the same. I like playing them whenever I'm with a friend who has them, but I just can't see myself shelling out another 60 bucks for a slightly tweaked version of the previous Modern Warfare titles. Fun, but not worth buying over and over.