My Activision Boycott/Starcraft II Dilemma

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
OK I think it has been established that Starcraft II is a good (fantastic?) game. As such I want to play SCII.

My dilemma comes in the fact that I am currently refusing to purchase anything that Activision has a stake in as their practices are so anti-consumer.

I also refuse to pay premium game prices only to be forced to be online (or jump through asinine arbitrary hoops) in order to be able to play the content I have paid for. Obviously that is single player and mutli by definition is an online game.

I'm hoping the Escapist community can help me out with this so I can make a decision based on facts and opinions of educated gamers.

so convince me either way....NOW. I COMMAND IT!

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
From what I hear, Activision doesn't really have a say in what Blizzard does. Not sure how true that is though.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Simple solution to this actually.

Step 1: Smack yourself in the face for not already having Starcraft 2.

Step 2: There is none. I just wanted you to smack yourself in the face.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
Now I agree that perhaps Activision is not one of the best companies ever, however do you really think that by not buying stuff from them you are going to make them change their ways?

Look, if you really want to play SC2 just got for it. Activision really is not the one who you need to even bother if something goes wrong, its Blizzard. So why even worry about it?

Also, I have played games with Activision on the box but still enjoy the game. Why would you deny yourself a game just because Activision is on the box?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Milo Windby said:
Now I agree that perhaps Activision is not one of the best companies ever, however do you really think that by not buying stuff from them you are going to make them change their ways?

Look, if you really want to play SC2 just got for it. Activision really is not the one who you need to even bother if something goes wrong, its Blizzard. So why even worry about it?

Also, I have played games with Activision on the box but still enjoy the game. Why would you deny yourself a game just because Activision is on the box?
Its a principle. I have no right to complain about the way a company operates if I go out and but their stuff anyway. Complaining and not taking action are the worst possible combinations.

Steeveeo

Sep 2, 2008
somelameshite said:
Simple solution to this actually.

Step 1: Smack yourself in the face for not already having Starcraft 2.

Step 2: There is none. I just wanted you to smack yourself in the face.
Your avatar fits this perfectly.

OT: If you really want to play it, I'd say to go ahead and do so. Personally, I'm going to wait until the prices drop to something a college kid could afford.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Activision looks to have next to nothing to do with anything blizzard produces, they're not even in the pre-main menu credits it just says blizzard entertainment.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Xzi said:
Boycotts don't work. L4D2 and MW2 proved that. There, do what you want.
they dont work when everyone who 'boycotts' still buys the game. buying this game would be ending my own boycott.. unless someone convinces me that Bobby K has not and will not get his hands on this propery (although his stink is already all over this game)

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
Well, if you are hellbent on boycotting then be a little selective. There are plenty of Activision titles out there that you can boycott, enough so that you can let one slide.

Oh, and don't let a personal crusade keep you from really good games. If you really want to play it then go get it.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
crotalidian said:
Milo Windby said:

Its a principle. I have no right to complain about the way a company operates if I go out and but their stuff anyway. Complaining and not taking action are the worst possible combinations.
Or you can just ignore what they do and enjoy the game. They are a company who Publish games and from time to time make them as well.

Saying you won't play SC2 will only really be a stand against Blizzard only. Now I don't know all the details about Activision and Blizzard but I doubt Activision has a large voice about how SC2 was being made.

Honest Opinion, Just get Star Craft 2. If you really don't want to buy games with Activision on the box, even though for the most part some games are not even made by them, just published by them, then fine. I think that is a bit silly, but please don't take what I think as being offensive as we both have very different thoughts on the matter. But please at least try SC2.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Milo Windby said:
It depends on whether you want them to think that their policies and actions will be permitted by their customers. If Activision sees a hit in their sales, they will start reconsidering policies that they make. The only way individuals can communicate their displeasure with these companies is to not support them. Complaining and signing petitions means nothing if market data does not back up complaints. These companies don't mind if people hate them, so long as they make money. So, the point here is really that if he really believes Activision's policies are bad, buying the game means that Activision and their policies win. If his he just finds them distasteful but isn't angry or worried enough to not use their product then he should buy the game. However, he would have to remember that if he does this he can still dislike Activision's policies, but he has less leverage to say they are an outrageous company. After all, their policies clearly are making them money.

May 23, 2010
Xzi said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Xzi said:
Boycotts don't work. L4D2 and MW2 proved that. There, do what you want.
I still haven't bought any of those... or Starcraft 2.
Boycotts work only if you believe in them.
No, boycotts only work if the majority of people believe in them. And in this case, as well as the case of MW2 and L4D2, the majority of people don't believe in the boycotts.
But I do... FOR I HAVE A DREAM!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
shaboinkin said:
From what I hear, Activision doesn't really have a say in what Blizzard does. Not sure how true that is though.
Activision still get money from it though.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Milo Windby said:
Actually, voting with the dollar is about the only way to influence a large company at all.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Whay are you Boycotting Blizzard? They may have merged, but I doubt Activision has that much say in Blizzards actions. Im sure Ko-dick may want complete and absolut control, but that doesnt mean he'll ever get it... unless I missed an important bet of news recently.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
crotalidian said:
This, sir, is a truth spoken for the ages. You can disagree with a company and still support them, but if you want a company to change you cannot support them. The only reason any for profit business will ever make or remove a policy is if they think it will get them more money.