My Activision Boycott/Starcraft II Dilemma

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
buy it used or from ebay then someone else is getting the money. or you could pirate it tooo

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Xzi said:
Boycotts don't work. L4D2 and MW2 proved that. There, do what you want.
I still haven't bought any of those... or Starcraft 2.
Boycotts work only if you believe in them.
Same. Boycotts aren't very effective, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
shaboinkin said:
From what I hear, Activision doesn't really have a say in what Blizzard does. Not sure how true that is though.
In business throw money at what works. It usually pays off. Look at BioWare and EA, the EA people know not to interfere. They cross that line and the shoot the money blimp right out of the sky.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'm doing what I can to not support Activision, but SC2 is both really good and not an Activision game. I know, I know, they're related so if Blizzard does good it helps Activision, but they're more like partners than anything else. If Blizz does great and Activision titles (CoD) flop, it will shift power to Blizz. Although honestly, Blizz is definitely starting to show more "Activision mentality" than I'm comfortable with.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Blizzard's been fairly independent from Activision's stupid corporate decisions so far.

The best way you can help ensure that Activision Blizzard continue to let Blizzard do what they want is to keep buying their games ;)

Unless you've got a fundamental objection to Kotick getting your money, in which case, you're screwed.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
p3t3r said:
buy it used or from ebay then someone else is getting the money. or you could pirate it tooo
I'm not a pirate and doing so vindicates Kotick, putting unneccesary DRM on a game will only continue to get worse while piracy is a hot topic in gaming.

Also my complaint is twofold as I like to play while travelling and have no roaming internet access this will annoy the hell out of me too. (which would mean I would buy the game then get the crack)

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Xzi said:
Boycotts don't work. L4D2 and MW2 proved that. There, do what you want.
This. As far as Activision is concerned, unless they get a HUGE boycott, then they're not really going to do anything. Unfortunately, Starcraft 2 is selling like hell.

Besides, Activision just publishes Blizzard's games and take a cut of the profits. Blizzard is, by and large, and independant company, so Activision shouldn't have had anything to do with development.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
Milo Windby said:
Now I agree that perhaps Activision is not one of the best companies ever, however do you really think that by not buying stuff from them you are going to make them change their ways?
Actually, voting with the dollar is about the only way to influence a large company at all.
Truth. My personal motto for a long time has been "If you don't like something, just don't spend your money on it."

It is followed closely by "Don't spend money on anything you'll wind up liking too much to stop spending money on it.", and "People in glass houses sink ships."

To the OP: Don't want to break your vow? Just get someone else to buy the game. Wait for your birthday / holiday, and make someone who cares about you spend their hard earned money solving your moral dilemma.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
p3t3r said:
a lot of PC games these days won't work secondhand, but if it would then that would be a workable solution to his problem

Maybe not the piracy part.. I'm not going to encourage that. I believe companies that make good games deserve to get paid.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
RollForInitiative said:
Milo Windby said:
Now I agree that perhaps Activision is not one of the best companies ever, however do you really think that by not buying stuff from them you are going to make them change their ways?
Actually, voting with the dollar is about the only way to influence a large company at all.
Truth. My personal motto for a long time has been "If you don't like something, just don't spend your money on it."

It is followed closely by "Don't spend money on anything you'll wind up liking too much to stop spending money on it.", and "People in glass houses sink ships."

To the OP: Don't want to break your vow? Just get someone else to buy the game. Wait for your birthday / holiday, and make someone who cares about you spend their hard earned money solving your moral dilemma.
Interesting option, but I cant wait until October to make a decision on this, I'm either gonna be convinced to buy it this week or decide to not play it for a couple of years and pick it up cheap.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Random facts: Bobby Kotick is CEO of Activision-Blizzard. Michael Morhaime is CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, while Eric Hirshberg is CEO of Activision Publishing, and the whole shooting match is 52% owned by Vivendi.

In short, if you want to avoid giving Bobby Kotick money, then Blizzard = Activision = Activision Blizzard.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
crotalidian said:
OK I think it has been established that Starcraft II is a good (fantastic?) game. As such I want to play SCII.

My dilemma comes in the fact that I am currently refusing to purchase anything that Activision has a stake in as their practices are so anti-consumer.
Unlike oh-so-many people here, i suggest you show some backbone and keep boycotting Activision. The only reason why boycotts fail is because everyone hates the company, yet still buys (or even preorders) the game. The only way gamers could influence Activision is not only by talking the talk, but also by walking the walk. Which, unfortunately, will never happen. Yeah, good job everyone.

Plus, my friend has SC2. I've played a couple of missions, and well... it's not as great as everyone says. Well, the campaign mode at least.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Well seeing as how there is a 0% chance of your boycott having an appreciable effect, I suggest you go out and buy Starcraft II.

Seriously, they're selling millions upon millions of copies. I understand that people don't like Bobby Kotick and the Infinity Ward drama, but Activision doesn't get its money through arcane magics that have been locked away in a mystic chamber until now. It makes money because it puts out stuff that people want, and they buy.

I understand refusing to buy a game because you don't want it, but boycotting a publisher that envelops multiple high-quality developers who just want some capital behind their games (Infinity Ward before the fiasco, Blizzard, etc.) just comes across as a little frivolous to me.

So, yeah. Buy Starcraft II. You won't regret it.

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
This game was amazing for me. I beat it the day I got it by playing for 18 of the provided 24 hours from the midnight release. I have beaten the campaign another two times to collect other achievements and just for dominating fun. I haven't even touched the multi-player yet because I'm having fun with the Single. It's the complete opposite of the original for me.

I'm sure Activision took so little part in this game. I bought it because I like Blizzard products. I want more of them?

Call me a fanboy but at least Blizzard polishes their game twice. Also, there are way too many Valve sex slaves on this forum. I think their games are garbage other than Half-Life 2.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Principles do not magically dissolve in "oooh, new shiny thing!"

Either stick to your boycott and don't buy the game or buy the game and get off your high horse because you forfeited the right to complain about Activision/Blizzard's business practices. You can't have it both ways, so make a choice.

Damn kids today, no wonder this country's fucked.

SailorShale

Apr 3, 2010
If you're SO desperate, then buy it used from eBay or something.

But I'd stay with the boycott. I'm boycotting it myself. I can't believe people have let Activision get away with everything they've done. I was extremely excited when Starcraft 2 was announced, then Acitivision merged and it slowly went downhill, then the Real I.D. thing pushed it over the edge. That's why I'm not returning to WoW for Cataclysm. You just got to stay strong, find different games. And do keep in mind that hype often makes games seem better than they actually are.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Activision is neither a developer or a publisher of Starcraft 2. They had nothing to do with this game, and never will.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
The problem with boycotts are generally not enough people take part in them. I still haven't bought MW2, and will never buy it, however millions people did, and so my lack of purchase probably meant little to Activision. I think the same will probably apply to Starcraft 2. Millions have still already bought it, so even if you didn't buy it, Activision wouldn't care at all, they've already made money, and £35 isn't going to change much. In conclusion, it dpeends how much you want to stand by your decision not to buy an Activision game. Despite what other people have said, Activision are in part publishers of Starcraft 2 due to their partnership with Blizzard, they have as much say in things as any publisher does. They infuence the price, and distribution of additional things. Chances are, it was Activisions smart idea to charge 1/3 more than any other PC game, like they did with MW2 before it, and also charging for things on the custom maps server. The game itself however will have little Activision in.

I've played SC2 quite a bit, and although I find it a good game, it is far from the masterpiece some people seem to claim. If you want to stand by your boycott, you could always just buy Starcraft 1 Anthology, and play that until SC2's price drops. It's arguably the same game in terms of mechanics, except with older graphics, permitting you don't mind that. It would also prove useful for when playing SC2's campaign, as you know the backstory.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Hmm. I personally won't pay more than £10 for Any game. That means that I don't get most games till often 5 years after they are released because of their ridiculous prices.

Basically this is my view of the games industry at the moment. I'm still waiting for Fallout 3 to be released and Star Craft 2 by the looks of it won't be out for another 5 or 6 years. The first Mass Effect game is still in production and I recently tried the brand new GTA 4 (which I dislike).

My advice to you is wait until the price drops.