My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I recall a Freakonomics episode a while back, where a sociologist conducted an experiment on the effects of names on his own children - naming them "M" and "Yo". As I recall, the names had no detrimental effect on their lives, and both were rather happy with their names.
So, there you have it.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I don't see why not.

There are enough people choosing names from books or movies. Why not from a game?
My reason for being totally ok with this stems mostly from your reason: ''My wife fell in love with the name''
Instead of ''My wife fell in love with the game''
Big difference.

Either way I'd say go for it. It's her choice either way if she wants to give her friends her full name or just Tali.

Aug 1, 2010
I would say yes, you're totally off base.

As many others have said, Tali is a perfectly fine name. However, giving your child the complete first name of a fictional character is a bit dickish to the kid. It sort of pushes a certain identity on them, specifically one related to video games.

And yes, despite what you may think, having that name will get a kid made fun of. Hell, [i/]I[/i] would probably poke fun if I met someone named Tali'Zorah. If others understand the reference, she'll be made fun of because it's the name of a character. If they don't understand it, she'll still probably get made fun of for having a weird name with a Z and an apostrophe.

Not the end of the world regardless of what you do. Maybe it will all turn out perfect and if not, people chance their names all the time.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Augustine said:
I recall a Freakonomics episode a while back, where a sociologist conducted an experiment on the effects of names on his own children - naming them "M" and "Yo". As I recall, the names had no detrimental effect on their lives, and both were rather happy with their names.
So, there you have it.
Yes, because this "study" with a sample size of TWO is totally a proof for anything. In contrast to the studies that show that e.g. typical "under class" names (celebrity names and such) lead to lower grades in school and lower income later, everything else equal.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Is this one of those "I'm not going to change my mind, I just want to be reassured" kind of topics?

Naming a kid isn't really about what you like, it's about having a way to get your kids attention, you get some creative freedom about it but just 'cos you can name your child literally anything, doesn't mean you should.

I believe you shouldn't force yourself on to a child, you shouldn't put what you like or your hopes and aspirations on to them (like if you wanted to be a runner, you shouldn't force them to take track). Just 'cos you like the name Tali'Zorah doesn't mean she will, like you claim she will ... she is her own person, you might as well claim that most people like the name as it means just as much. You could say "she will like the same music as me, the same games as me and have the same fashion sense" but she could be a total goth or love Justin Bieber (although I'm going to assume he will be a bad memory at that point) and absolutely hate games.

Your childs name isn't a time for you to be creative and show how unique she is, all kids are the same.

I will say that you could choose Tali and be ok but the full "Tali'Zorah" is going to create issues, not just "bullying the kid with the crazy name" but imagine every time you are asked to spell it. Constantly seeing my second name spelled incorrectly is annoying, you always having to say "big M. little c. big A. Double l.i.s.t.e.r" every single time, it's just a chore that can easily be avoided.

yeah, there are worse names but you are entering a hall of shame in terms of names, such as Kal el (nic cages son), Pilot inspektor, Audio Science and the other gaming parents who called there kid Dovahkiin.

I hope you take the advice of this thread to heart, I know getting advice off the net isn't always a good idea. By the looks of it though, we are just looking out for your kiddie ... not saying you're already bad parents but do your kid a favor and change it.

Just another video example

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Well, I started calling a girl named Natalia Tali, which seems OK. I have to agree with the others you guys are kind crazy.

Just call her Tali, say it comes from a video game character and thought it sounded nice. Sure beats Talia, which in my language sounds too similar to our word for waist.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I think names are getting weirder and weirder by the generation so it's probably not going to be to much of an issue. I'm 20 now and throughout my years I've been well acquainted with people that go by names such as, raven, cloud, ocean, Destiny, Infinity, Gale, Lucky, Sky, Robin, Joy, Jesus, Gee, and blue and some of my friends who have recently had kids have named them things like Rain, Storm, and Nikola. Tali sounds normal enough though. I doubt she will get any shit for it that she wouldn't get anyways just for being human which in and of itself is reason enough for people to hate you in the lower grades.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.
Well first off, congratz on the kiddo. Secondly, good on you both for settling on a name you can both like. Third, good on you both for committing to it. Now, to answer a bit of those quotes ..... I don't think she'll be teased. Look at everyone elses names today. You can, nor ever will, do any worse than Kanye West. Just keep that in mind. Funny that this thread should pop up, as my daughter's middle name is set in stone to be Tali'Zorah, with the first name of Willow (which, comes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and my son's shall be Nile, with a middle name of Boba (yes, after Fett.) Why care what anyone else of the present has to say about it? Just worry about what it'll sound like years down the road. But don't be surprised if you guys suddenly want to change the name a year later. More and more parents are doing that now, it seems.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tali'Zorah?
Yes.

Just Tali is less so but don't tell them where it came from. Knowing that she's been named after probably the biggest Space Waifu with a really creepy fanbase won't do much for her self esteem.

Also, telling people that you wanted a "nice Quarian name" really just sounds like you're picking the name for shits and giggles.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Multi-Hobbyist said:
I don't think she'll be teased.
And you came to this conclusion how? Kids get teased for their unusual names all the time. Why should it be different in the future?

Look at everyone elses names today. You can, nor ever will, do any worse than Kanye West. Just keep that in mind.
Yes, people have weird names today - and don't we make fun of them because of that? Your logic here is that, well, other people give their kids weird names, so nothing wrong with giving your own kid a weird name yourself?

Funny that this thread should pop up, as my daughter's middle name is set in stone to be Tali'Zorah, with the first name of Willow (which, comes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and my son's shall be Nile, with a middle name of Boba (yes, after Fett.) Why care what anyone else of the present has to say about it? Just worry about what it'll sound like years down the road.
1. You should care about what people of the present will say about it because it's likely that people 10 years later will say the same thing.

2. No offense, but you're saying here that you should worry what a name sounds like, but you want to name your own child "Willow Tali'Zorah" and your son "Nile Boba"?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Lots of angry people here...

I'm just going to relate my opinion. My name is Thomas. It is extremely common; such that I was once in a class of 20 or so with 3 other Toms. I would much prefer a more unique name.

I'm in the boat that says just Tali would be best. Even if you do use Tali'Zora you will probably end up calling her Tali for short.

Zenoss

Mar 22, 2009
I've got a weird name. Got teased for it. Got over it.
So what if kids at school tease you over your weird name? If you didn't have one, they'd find a different reason if they want to tease you. It's naive to think that the teasing is actually related to the name.

I don't get where all the outrage is coming from honestly. People name their kids crazy stuff all the time. And people who think their weird name held them back or impaired them are looking for excuses for their own shortcomings.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Tali is OK; Tali'Zorah is not.

However, "Zora" is Slavic for "dawn", and it might work as a middle name rather well.

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Best solution, as stated by many others here, is to stick with just Tali. No Zorah.

I personally think that you'll be better off with "Talia" printed on her birth certificate. You can call her "Tali" for short.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I don't think Tali'Zorah + last name is a good idea. Too long and doesn't flow well. Maybe you could name her Tali-Rah or something? Sounds nice and flows well.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Zenoss said:
I've got a weird name. Got teased for it. Got over it.
So what if kids at school tease you over your weird name? If you didn't have one, they'd find a different reason if they want to tease you. It's naive to think that the teasing is actually related to the name.
Yes, kids don't need a reason to be cruel, but you don't have to stack the odds against your child even more without good reason.
Good for you if you got over it, but that doesn't mean that everyone else necessarily shrugs of this experience quite so easily.

I don't get where all the outrage is coming from honestly.
People caring for the future well-being of the child?

People name their kids crazy stuff all the time.
And that makes it any better to give your own kid a crazy name as well?

And people who think their weird name held them back or impaired them are looking for excuses for their own shortcomings.
Studies have shown that kids get worse grades if they have weird/"frowned-upon" names (names associated with low economic status of the parents, prominently), and that they'll have lower chances of being hired. Sure, your stupid name might not be the difference between burger flipping and a PhD, but it can disadvantage those people in a pretty real way.
And it's such a needless and easily avoidable thing.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Sorry if this somehow belongs in gaming discussion.

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.

Congrats mate! Our bub is due to be born on the 9th, but the minister for finance and planning believes that he'll be born on the 5th. (Today.) It's the best and most nerve wracking feeling in the world and we cant wait!

As for the name, i'd make Tali the first name and Zorah her middle name. Kevin Smith the director named his daughter Harley Quinn Smith after the character from Batman. In my opinion that's the best way to do it. That way she get normal first and middle names, and you still get the name you want for her.

But then, when you meet her, her name could be something else entirely.

I keep trying to convince the missus that we should give our son the middle name of Danger, but she wont let me. :(
We like the name William. Runners up are Stephen, Joshua or maybe Daniel. Dont know yet. We'll have to meet him.

Anyway, all the best with the birth. Remember, as soon as she's born, dont let them clean her, and make sure she's put on your wifes chest/breast straight away. This makes breast feeding and bonding a zillion times easier.

Send me a PM when she's born! I'm really excited for you even though i've never met you! :D

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Your child's name isn't a billboard for you to advertise your interests on. It's their name, don't be selfish about it. I'm a giant dick to be sure, but nonetheless I see a lot of applications for employment and reject the more stupid names out of hand, because I know from the start that person was raised by assholes.