My first RTS

Pyon

Dec 20, 2008
Ive been wanting to get into RTS games but theyre rather intimidating. All the top titles seem to be too "hardcore." Can you guys recommend a good game with a relatively gentle learning curve?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
The dawn of war games are easy enough to pick up. They're the only ones I've played, though, so I may not be that great a judge.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Tom Clancy's Endwar seems like a good idea, as you don't have to manage your base way too much. Age of Empires 1 or 2 on the 'easiest' setting should be fine.

LazerLuger

Mar 16, 2009
Dawn of War is pretty good as far as RTS goes. It's also sweet if you're a Warhammer 40,000 fan.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Starcraft. The original starts off easy at the beginning of each episode, and the learning curve is very accurate. The real challenge comes from the expansion pack, so the original 30 missions wron't force you to be a pro or anything. Maybe the last one though.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
depends you got a computer or a console if a console pick up halo wars if a computer i would say either age of empire games or command and conquer those are pretty good for beginners

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
Warcraft 3, C&C Generals: Zero Hour, Age of Empires II, Homeworld

They're all old but they're better then the crap nowadays imo.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
My first RTS was Dune on the SEGA Genesis, but the first Command & Conquer is my first more typical one.

Zani

May 14, 2008
Go for World in Conflict, it's really easy to learn, and the multiplayer will last a long time.

But don't buy Soviet Assault, waste of money compared to the small ammount of content you get.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Simply put, if you want an rts for Single player, try something like C&C or Halo wars, depending on if you want to play PC or not,
For multi try something like DOW, maybe not DOW 2 less you want a bit of RPG in your game

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Ah, I remember how I got into the RTS genre, and games in general.

The original Age Of Empires. What a game.

That's just the nostalgia talking though.

For a modern one, try the first Dawn of War.

Ganado_Headshot

Jan 13, 2009
Starcraft. Not only did it win so many awards. But it's about 11 years old, and people still play it. That's when you know a game has stood the test of time. Plus you'll be all ready for the second Starcraft. If it ever comes out.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Command and Conquer. The first one. Truly a gem of RTS games, and it was one of the few who knew how to make it playable on a console.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. Very cheesy, fairly easy.

Of course it doesn't hold up to its forebears, but Westwood Studios has passed away...

Mezrev

Apr 4, 2009
Warcraft 3 and the first Dawn of War, both preferably with the expansions.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Guys, keep in mind he/she is asking for an easy to learn RTS, not "What is the best RTS game ever?".

At any rate, normally I'd recommend Starcraft but when I think about it, it can get complicated, and since it's 11 years old, it is a little lacking (ex. you won't get tons of helpful tooltips, and unit AI is very dull, meaning you basically have to micro manage every unit).

Every RTS has complicated stuff for first timers, so I'd say Warcraft 3's your best bet - the campaigns start real nice and slow initially.

Seriously easy to learn RTS games can be found on the consoles though, since they can't cram as much nuances as they can in PC games.