my gf is a pothead

-AC80-

Jul 10, 2009
as a fellow pothead, it may be illegal but it isnt that bad, most cops aren't that strict, (the only time i came to being busted, the cop just asked for half the bag, and walked off. England here) its an amazing drug if your in a comfortable place full on food and with people you like, and it makes everything more fun. I am not really advising you try it, but it is a good thing to try, and if you do want to stay with this girl, it could be a good bonding enable-er.

Abandon4093 said:
Pot isn't dangerous. People and their retarded addictive personalities are.

Cannabis is no more addictive than pringles.
i cannot explain the levels of how correct you are, one of my friends lost his job, (recession) and he smoked it every day, he had very little income for a month and he was totally sober and fine, he did say he missed it, but that was all that he felt. and also i can go really long amount of time in between smoking it, unlike people who smoke tobacco who need one every few hours.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
staika said:
If I were you I'd break it off because only trouble comes from smoking weed and if shes caught with weed and your in the general area guess what its also your weed. so there aren't really any benefits to staying with her, so unless she's your one and only perfect match I'd break it off.
Would that be the will on Inglip?

OT: I'd say ask her if she'll cut down on it, and to only do it when you're not around.
My girlfriend smokes occasionally, but we have a deal where she's agreed to never be high when I'm around. Works out pretty well, everybody wins.
And I wouldn't worry too much about the legalities of it. It's very unlikely anything serious will come of that.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
zHellas said:
THAC0 said:
other than the fact that one of them is a crime and that is something i CAN'T be involved with right now.
May I ask why?

You said that several times now, and I'm getting pretty curious.

So would you mind elaborating as to why you can't be involved with a criminal in whatever way?
well, if you must know. i am in the military. As of right now, i ship out this winter (i've already turned down 1 chance to ship early because i wanted to spend the time with her). getting caught with a possession charge would be a great way to end my career before it gets started.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
VGC USpartan VS said:
Not to mention pot ruined my uncle's life .
Your uncle ruined his own life. But yeah, everything about this sounds bad for you. First of all, "falling" into a relationship never works. Especially if it's based solely on sex. SEcondly, if you're not comfortable with the weed, then you will NEVER be comfortable around her. I dated this girl for 1.5 years, she hated the fact that I smoked weed, forced me to quit for 9 months. Then I was miserable, because I had to change the way I lived. So, I started smoking weed again, just for me. She didnt like this, I didnt care abot her shit anymore, so I dumped her a couple months afterwards. Dump this girl, because it WILL not work out.

Flatliner74

Mar 3, 2010
Honestly, and this is from a 36 year old, twice divorced, old school gamer: this is an issue that will ultimately divide the two of you irreparably, unless ONE of you has a drastic change in philosophy. Just the fact that you brought it up on this forum means that the issue is digging at you a bit more than you're letting on.

All you can control is you. Your actions, your beliefs, and ultimately your consequences. if you do not see yourself in this "world" of hers, then you must extricate yourself. Trust me, you can make a relationship work through almost any obstacle, but coming from opposing or nearly opposing value systems is never good.

Good luck pal.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The fact that you've come to a (primarily) gaming website to ask advice about a relationship, a relationship you are quite happy to deride, would give you your own answer right there.

Alternatively put: If you cannot shift the lingering thought that you are better than her and her friends then turf her. There are plenty more fish in the sea so very eager to jump in the judgment boat with you and have some flaw of theirs discussed on a forum.

Alternatively put: Don't think you're doing her any favours by gracing her with your presence - she's such a stoner she probably can't even tell you apart from the posters on her walls. Or any other guy that she's been with.

Altern... I could go on all day.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
VGC USpartan VS said:
Just get rid of her. I know a kid whose parents are pot heads... he just isn't... I don't know what to say. He just dosen't WORK. Not to mention pot ruined my uncle's life so I suggest you should stay away from the drug in anyway possible.
Ahhh, the combination of ignorance and hyperbole. I do so love that smell.

Pot isn't dangerous. People and their retarded addictive personalities are.

Cannabis is no more addictive than pringles.

OT:

It's entirely your choice. As with any substance. Discretion is advisable and if you really don't want to get involved with it don't. But if you think she's worth it, just tolerate her choice and accept it as a part of her that you dislike.

(sidenote) The amount of idiots on this thread spewing ignorant bias and hyperbole, as if weed is like freaking crack or meth. Well it reminds me where I am. 'If it aint legal, It's clearly WRONG!!!! :D
Yay, a sane person!

As someone who has been high plenty of times in his young life and stopped when he realised games last longer and should therefore be brought instead of weed, to the weed haters: half of you are misinformed and the other half are silly.

Its not exactly the most addictive of drugs. Weed tends to attract a specific type of person. Correlation does not = causation. Addictive personality's tend to smoke weed. I don't know why, but they just do. They're like it before they smoke it, and they'll sure as hell be like it after.

Nov 12, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Psycho Cat Industries said:
Abandon4093 said:
Get away before its too late!Tell her the option and if she chooses it over you,she always will.
Yes, because ultimatums are a fantastic way to forge a relationship.

I routinely make my partners choose between something they enjoy and me. Because that's the healthy thing to do you see.
All sarcastic remark aside,it really can be a problem,especially if it is illegal in the area he lives in,like say,the Unites States.You don't want to be dragged into that stuff.
Because what is marked down as illegal by a country is obviously the be all and end all of truth.

Sometimes a bit of a risk is something you have to take for enjoyment. There are plenty of things that are illegal. That just means you have to be more careful in your practice of them.
You've lost.This is something dealing with the dealings of one's personal life and health and you talk of the fun of it and the risk that you play for.Do you consider marriage a all fun,no risk,no choice decision?Girlfriend leads to marriage.If you say otherwise then you further prove my point.Sure,it may not be illegal in your country but anyway who claims that something illegal is good as having a risk is fooling not only themselves but any they try to convince.Sure,some things shouldn't be illegal in my view,pot being one of them,but I do not smoke it.Do you shoot yourself if in a country where guns are illegal?Do you rob from homes?Under what logic is a risk a good thing?

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Think for yourself, Do you really like this girl?

In your heart, if you can forgive her for her downfalls, then You should remain with her, if not, leave.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Sometimes a bit of a risk is something you have to take for enjoyment. There are plenty of things that are illegal. That just means you have to be more careful in your practice of them.
Amen - to think that all laws are constructed solely for the protection of the people is naive.

Give it a couple of generations - weed will become as commonplace as alcohol. The only reason it isn't legalized is that the government couldn't get away with taxing it with the old school thinkers and brainwashed yes monkeys unable to comprehend a sudden shift ion the spectrum.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Just my opinion, I would've dumped her. Weed is not something I need to get mixed up with. Mostly because I want to lead a successful life, and the amount of stories I have heard is enough to convince me pot wouldn't do anything positive for me in life. So if pot wouldn't do anything positive for me, then neither would a pothead.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
You've lost.This is something dealing with the dealings of one's personal life and health and you talk of the fun of it and the risk that you play for.Do you consider marriage a all fun,no risk,no choice decision?Girlfriend leads to marriage.If you say otherwise then you further prove my point.Sure,it may not be illegal in your country but anyway who claims that something illegal is good as having a risk is fooling not only themselves but any they try to convince.Sure,some things shouldn't be illegal in my view,pot being one of them,but I do not smoke it.Do you shoot yourself if in a country where guns are illegal?Do you rob from homes?Under what logic is a risk a good thing?
Girlfriend leads to marriage in a couple of circumstances. Ideally one, but that often doesn't go to plan, and sometimes not at all; but life time relationships still prevail. Some people don't like the hypocrisy of abiding by religion when for the rest of their lives they completely ignore it. What part of my statement solidifies your point?

Whether it is illegal or not does not necessarily mean it is bad. If the government turned round tomorrow and said having a car is illegal would you condemn all that had one, just because the Hand deemed it so?

Comparing smoking something in your own time and for your own benefit to heavy violence and the infliction of pain upon other individuals is ridiculous - and just goes to show how you are unable to consider matters independently and for yourself.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
THAC0 said:
Ok. I have no plans on dumping this girl. I have had far more than my share of horrible relationships so, i am no stranger to this kind of thing (you know the rules, and so do I). I have no issues with this girl at all. She is nice, we get along very well, and all that other good stuff.

I am not going to dump her. She was a pothead when we met, and it would be unfair to hold that against her now.

I am just looking for some ideas about how to proceed...that don't include dumping her.
Well with that in mind there isn't much you can do. What are you asking exactly? If there's nothing wrong with the relationship I can't see why you're asking for advice, so the best I can say there is keep doing whatever it is you're doing. If you're hoping to get her to stop there's nothing you can do about that. If she's using it as heavily as you say then it's doubtful she'll stop for anyone. I'd also keep a close eye on your cash and stuff.

Nov 12, 2010
No Bobcats Allowed said:
Girlfriend leads to marriage in a couple of circumstances. Ideally one, but that often doesn't go to plan, and sometimes not at all; but life time relationships still prevail. Some people don't like the hypocrisy of abiding by religion when for the rest of their lives they completely ignore it. What part of my statement solidifies your point?

Whether it is illegal or not does not necessarily mean it is bad. If the government turned round tomorrow and said having a car is illegal would you condemn all that had one, just because the Hand deemed it so?

Comparing smoking something in your own time and for your own benefit to heavy violence and the infliction of pain upon other individuals is ridiculous - and just goes to show how you are unable to consider matters independently and for yourself.
You're not reading me are you?Risk by association.Honestly,what is so hard to understand that if you are associated and she is caught then this whole thing ends under law.Religion has nothing to do with what I state with marriage.Atheists get married don't they?Your statement has nothing to do with the problem.Really,we're arguing for nothing.Legality matters call for risk.I do no such damning,I am not the police.Why do you assume this?The comparison is not to smoking but to your saying that it is justified by the risk.That would therefore justify any and all acts of violence.Your quickness to judge truly shows this hatred that you wish to project on me and really,why does this matter?

coakroach

Jun 8, 2008
Letting any drug characterize the way you live is never a good thing.
Maybe give her a chance to slowly cut back or try something different, but if that doesn't happen then there probably isn't much of a future.