My idea for a new Fallout

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I can't remember but Ghouls are immune to radiation right? So how about where you play a ghoul whos part of organization that has you treasure hunting or something in radioactive zones or something.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Tax_Document said:
Appleshampoo said:
You know what'd be an even better idea for a new Fallout?

One where creatures don't spawn in the floor, then spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where characters don't stretch randomly on death, spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where people's heads don't spin on their shoulders, and make me switch the game off.
One where the isn't a million different bugs per square mile of the game world.

If you haven't noticed, graphics glitches scare the crap out of me :)
And I want people to stop whining about glitches, they're always bound to happen.

Actually come to think of it, Fallout 3 has never bugged out on me, must be your obsolete hardware.
My obsolete hardware? Yup. My Quad core and my XFX HD 5770 are so out dated NOTHING runs these days! If only I could run Black ops, Modern warfare 2, Final fantasy XIV, Crysis 1 and 2, and Metro 2033 without any problems. Oh, wait. I can run all of those games with 0 problems. Ever. Only one of those I've had a problem with was black ops due to it sucking at release.

And quick youtube search for fallout 3 stretch bugs will show you I'm not the only one with the problems ;)

Neverhoodian said:
[Got your answer for you:

I'm curious why you're frightened about graphical glitches. It can be a bit unnerving the first second or so, but I often find it funny once I realize what's going on.

Anyway, a Fallout game where you play as a ghoul would be interesting. It would probably pose an extra challenge, what with most humans treating you like a freak.
Fallout 2 was awesome. And the reason they frighten me is because back in my childhood days, I was playing a Sonic game, and at the end of one of them he pops out at the screen to give you the thumbs up. Well, my game messed up and he popped up with Black demon eyes and it scared the hell out of me. I was young. Ever since then graphics glitchs like that make me really nervous.

Anyway, OT - Ghoul idea is nice, but it'd have to be really well done otherwise you'd spend most of the game in one city and the rest being shot at by about everyone but my main character from Fallout 3 who was nice to Ghouls, though I doubt he'll be making an appearance.

The option to turn into a ghoul via some form of radiation exposure or whatever would be nice, as it'd give you the option to play smooth-skin or ghoul style.

Also, give Fallout UK. Or at least some hint as to what's happened to the rest of the world. Surely in the time span since the bombs have dropped SOMEONE has visited another part of the world.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
darth.pixie said:
You know...not sure if it was a bug or not, but I've seen ghouls in the NCR. In one of the outposts.
You're absolutely right:

Ultratwinkie said:
Ghouls are allowed in NCR, but for the Legion they are shot and killed on sight. NCR is also very open minded, racism and sexism isn't really rampant. In the Legion its practically a way of life. Think like this:

NCR: Liberals, Democrats.
Actually, I didn't think too much about that example, but you're both absolutely right, NCR is an open-minded faction. Still, all I meant to say is that freeroaming and exploring the wasteland(s) in the way we're used to would be very difficult (or at least very different)if you were a ghoul.
If seen from a positive perspective, it could be like this:

SuperMse said:
Sounds like the perfect setup for some sort of stealth-based spinoff to me. You can't handle well in a fight and there's a lot of, for lack of a better word, racism against you causing people to want to lynch you. Therefore, don't get seen.
I still think I'd feel as if I was missing out on a lot of things compared to the way the games normally play.
But who knows, the next Fallout game might be completely different to 3/NV - and "ghoul mode" as an addition would be fun to play around with.

May 17, 2010
I think it is a good idea for a game set in the Fallout universe. but as the main entry in the series, no. Fallout is about making decisions, at least to me, and by being a ghoul you are automatically depreived some of the choices you could make (Some of the more prejudiced groups like the Legion).

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Sarpedon said:
Earlier today I had an interesting idea for a new Fallout while I was playing New Vegas... But now I can't seem to remember what it was.... Oh, there it is.

I imagined a Fallout where you play as a Ghoul. For the opening of the game (Imagine the beginning of Fallout 3 in Vault 101) You start of as a normal human being 200 years ago, on the day the bombs fell, going about your daily life. You'd get up, have little errands to complete that would serve as a tutorial to acclimate you to the game, and then at mid-day the nuclear holocaust would hit and you would have to flee for shelter as the shit hits the fan around you. The screen fades out as you enter your shelter, the glow of the fires outside leaking in... Fast forward 200 years to the present Fallout universe, with images and soundclips to represent said passing of time... and thats as far as I got. :< I can't think of what would go next.

Anyways, how does it sound? Do you fellow Fallout fans out there think it would be any good? And what do you think would go next?
I wonder if there is a mod like this.....oh wait I have a 360, could always jailbreak thought but then no more multiplayer.

zdgrafyd

Mar 1, 2011
I don't understand the rage this topic has created. Its a good idea. Its even been done before, a lot. Why is there any conflict with lore? In FO2 you can get a ghoul companion. In FO:Tactics you control different races: humans, ghouls, robots, cyborgs, super mutants and even deathclaws. There's also a mod for FO3 where you can pick a different start and race/faction, including but not limited to: ghoul, raider, slaver, android from the commonwealth.
Again, letting us play as a different race - great idea.

The arguments against don't make sense to me: you would be shot on sight? - 1) how is this different from playing as a human? plenty of nasty things want to kill you on sight, regardless of race - raiders, talon mercs, bounty hunters, animals, super mutants etc.
2) why would you be? oh sure there are some nasty bad racist people who would shoot you, but not everyone is like that! Broken Hills was a town where ghouls, super mutants and humans (and a talking plant and an intelligent scorpion) lived together. There is no reason to believe that everyone hates ghouls!

You can't be a ghoul because they are decaying corpses with bits falling off and most of your stats would be 1 - 2 points only? - Utter rubbish! In FO3 feral ghouls are some of the toughest opponents you meet. Roy Phillips was a police officer before the war. In 2277 AD he is still very fit, a decent fighter, NOT feral. It is NOT canon that ghouls are rotting corpses. It is only the racial slurs that people say about them in the games, the same people that call them zombies. Ghouls are not zombies. Not all ghouls are falling apart, and you don't need to be a recent ghoul to not be falling apart (see Roy Phillips)

Again, its a good idea. You should check out the FO3 mods that let you play as a ghoul if you're interested. And there is no reason to rage against ghouls.

EDIT: I found the mod I meant - FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2761
https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/detailed-changes/01character#TOC-Alternative-Starts-credit:-Alternat

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
Sarpedon said:
I imagined a Fallout where you play as a Ghoul.
you can kind off become a ghoul i think, if you let yourself get REALLY radiated then you start looking like one

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
plugav said:
I like the idea, but why would you start 200 years in the past just to fast-forward a few scenes later? If you want to play in Fallout's "present day," you could become a ghoul then, I think that's entirely possible (though not as cool).

Then there is the question of whether anyone today would publish a game with an ugly and weak protagonist.
Because, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's been a fallout game where any of it was set in the pre-apocalypse age, nor a game where you got to live the day when the bombs dropped.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Ultratwinkie said:
In (original) fallout lore
ElectroJosh said:
"This playing-as-a-ghoul idea goes against official Fallout canon. You are a heretic and must be executed! Its the only way to preserve the purity of the Fallout universe."

- The fun folks and NMA
Fuck lore, it gets in the way of fun.

On Topic.

There are a few mods that turn you into a Ghoul, but those are purely cosmetic. I think it'd be kind of interesting. Most everyone is incredibly prejudiced against you, so you really have to fend for yourself. I wouldn't mind playing it.
Oh great another consumer who wants Gears of War clones 100% of the time. Is Cole train in one game not enough? Because in five minutes and I threw up my arms, screamed "done" and shut the game off before throwing it in the garbage.

Also being a ghoul is not fun in any sense of the word. Most of your stats stay at either 1 or 2. The skills are not much better. If people called New Vegas hard, I'd hate to see them play a fallout with a ghoul main character.
Wow, really? That fucking insult again? Shut the fuck up, dude.

Lore is great, sure. But not when people take their obsession with it to such a degree that it stops others from being able to enjoy a game. Really, my sentence should have been, "Fuck lore nerds, they get in the way of fun," instead of saying it was the lore itself.
Oh yes because god forbid story and lore get in the way of your mindless fun in a role-playing game. Does the baseball game get in the way of your baseball game, too? (extreme sarcasm)

Story and continuity has been apart of games for decades now, welcome to the 21st century.
But games don't need to stick to it like they're made of fucking superglue. Changes can be made. Fanboys will cry, but they always do.
Ultratwinkie said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Ultratwinkie said:
In (original) fallout lore
ElectroJosh said:
"This playing-as-a-ghoul idea goes against official Fallout canon. You are a heretic and must be executed! Its the only way to preserve the purity of the Fallout universe."

- The fun folks and NMA
Fuck lore, it gets in the way of fun.

On Topic.

There are a few mods that turn you into a Ghoul, but those are purely cosmetic. I think it'd be kind of interesting. Most everyone is incredibly prejudiced against you, so you really have to fend for yourself. I wouldn't mind playing it.
Oh great another consumer who wants Gears of War clones 100% of the time. Is Cole train in one game not enough? Because in five minutes and I threw up my arms, screamed "done" and shut the game off before throwing it in the garbage.

Also being a ghoul is not fun in any sense of the word. Most of your stats stay at either 1 or 2. The skills are not much better. If people called New Vegas hard, I'd hate to see them play a fallout with a ghoul main character.
Wow, really? That fucking insult again? Shut the fuck up, dude.

Lore is great, sure. But not when people take their obsession with it to such a degree that it stops others from being able to enjoy a game. Really, my sentence should have been, "Fuck lore nerds, they get in the way of fun," instead of saying it was the lore itself.
Oh yes because god forbid story and lore get in the way of your mindless fun in a role-playing game. Does the baseball game get in the way of your baseball game, too? (extreme sarcasm)

Story and continuity has been apart of games for decades now, welcome to the 21st century.
But games don't need to stick to it like they're made of fucking superglue. Changes can be made. Fanboys will cry, but they always do.
Oh yes because a role playing game cannot have any sort of story or continuity in it. Why not make a FPS without weapons? Obviously its not needed.

I'm truly shocked this is what my idea has devolved into. Seriously, if you two want to grapple each others throats, take it elsewhere.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Sejs Cube said:
JustRin said:
What about a Fallout game in europe or asia?
So, Fallout, a game where one of the central ideas is a retro-futurism based on 50s Americana, but one that takes place in Europe or Asia.

Europe or Asia.

Places that, notably, had very different cultures than anything resembling 50s Americana.

No.
Wow, kinda sensitive to change aren't we skip?

I think it's a good idea, but can't see it spanning an entire game. Maybe an expansion for New Vegas or something? You meet a ghoul and he tells you his story [which will lead you to treasure or something so you don't kill him]

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Sarpedon said:
plugav said:
I like the idea, but why would you start 200 years in the past just to fast-forward a few scenes later?
*snip*
Because, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's been a fallout game where any of it was set in the pre-apocalypse age, nor a game where you got to live the day when the bombs dropped.
I know. I just think it would feel strange to start on the day the bombs hit and then suddenly leap two centuries forward.

It would be interesting to see the new world being built, but I'd rather have it in smaller steps. Maybe divide the game into chapters, jumping fifty years at a time? Or have the majority of the game in "year zero," and then jump to Fallout's "present day" for an epilogue?