My sister screwed up

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Your sister is a vile criminal who deserved whatever punishment she recieved.

That said, is she single?

Northern64

Aug 29, 2011
I'm hearing a lot of "yah your sister got what she deserved" and "yeah, two sips suuure". Sadly the masses are right, the school is well within their rights and, more importantly, their duties in suspending your sister. It may have been possible to talk with the school closer to the time of the incident to see if the punishment could be reduced to maybe 5 days but in all likely hood it wouldn't pan out. At my school the worst part would be that your sister wouldn't be allowed at future dances either.

All of that being said, she's in grade nine if she skipped half her classes for the entire year it wouldn't make a difference in her life, in terms of post secondary and such. Better it happen now then in grade 12 when things actually matter.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Cry Wolf said:
Why the hell did she admit to drinking?
It's called "honesty"
Ahhh "honesty", people claim to want it these days, but in cases like this, lie, lie, lie. Honesty means nothing in a situation like this. It's not as if she will learn something from this situation, or become a better person. The only thing to learn is to lie, lie, lie in a situation like this if it arises again.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
Yeah, unfortunately, school policy is still school policy. Quantity, especially under the legal age tends to be frowned upon.

Here in the US, someone underage has a MUCH lower "legal limit" than someone than whose legally able to drink so.

Anyhow, theres not much you can do.
Do you mean zero? I suppose zero is technically less than .05 and up, but why bother saying it at all?

I find your post silly
Actually his post is spot on. In New York State, for example, the legal limit for those under 21 is .02%. This is done to prevent false positives and for consideration of certain medications, which, taken as directed, can produce a bac higher than 0.00.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I've gotten ten day suspensions for sitting on a bench and then being punched in the face by three teachers while I did absolutely nothing (yes, more than once. I had a legal obligation to sit on the bench). There's really nothing you can do about this kind of shit, as it turns out that school rules are, in practice, basically whatever the school feels like they can get away with.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
reonhato said:
even if its a retarded rule its still a school rule, and as long as it is not something outrageously stupid they can do what they want.

i remember in year 9 after a few weeks of a lot of kids blatantly ignoring school uniform policies the deputy principle spoke to the school, read the rules, showed us where they were written etc, part of the rules were boys wearing shorts had to have them at a certain length and girls wearing skirts the same, as well as girls not being able to wear any makeup. after the assembly my brother went up to the deputy principle and pointed out that the rules stated that the uniform can be either pants, shorts or skirt, and that girls have to have the skirt at a certain length and wear no makeup... at no point did the rules say a boy was not allowed to wear a skirt of any length or was prevented from wearing makeup... the deputy replied with " if you want to show up in a mini skirt and makeup i aint going to stop you"
OK, that's a hilarious response.

OT: As you yourself said in the title of this thread, your sister screwed up. Let her learn from it that she shouldn't choose which rules to follow or not.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Giftfromme said:
Akalabeth said:
Cry Wolf said:
Why the hell did she admit to drinking?
It's called "honesty"
Ahhh "honesty", people claim to want it these days, but in cases like this, lie, lie, lie. Honesty means nothing in a situation like this. It's not as if she will learn something from this situation, or become a better person. The only thing to learn is to lie, lie, lie in a situation like this if it arises again.
Are you her? You see the thing is, honest people actually DO give a shit in situations like this. That's what integrity is. If you've done something wrong, man up, face the consequences and stand with your friends (assuming they were likewise suspended).

The fact that she was honest about what she did already proves she is a better person. Lying if anything else will probably betray her own principles, and prove herself untrustworthy in the eyes of her school faculty. One thing you have to realize with age is, that the older you are, the better you can read people. A lot of teachers know when students are lying.
Then she needs to get better at lying lol. I'm of the opinion that the theory that states that our brains got larger and we got smarter because of deception. The fact that we could deceive each other gave rise to our intelligence. A lot of this was to do in the sexual arena, especially on the savannah, but this includes a lot of aspects of life. So if she can lie in this case, then all the power to her lol. But that's just me off course.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Rabid Toilet said:
You said she had every intention of drinking. She's in ninth grade, she probably shouldn't be getting drunk just yet. Maybe this will discourage her from trying it again until she's older. I'd say it was justified.
wow...
I agree on the "shouldn't drink at such an early age" thing but can't help wondering how many people do it? I'm a Finn and here very very FEW people have not drank at ninth grade... some even start at the age of 11-13. I wonder if we are just screwed up here or if this applies to the rest of the world also?!

On Topic:
10 days sound slike a lot but then again she violated both school rules and to some extent the law (if they are similar to Finnish laws).

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
10 Days for drinking? In my school, two guys I knew got caught smoking weed on an excursion (in a public place) and they got 3 days.

3 days for doing illegal drugs in public.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
That's really shit for your sister, but there's nothing you can really do about it. Grade 9 is like, year 10 in Britain right? Personally, I got drunk multiple times with my friends during year 10, and we all turned out all right - America has a tendency to go over the top with these things. So I hope your parents aren't mad at her. If your family isn't mad at her, tell her to enjoy her days off :)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I with the school with this one. I mean afterall teenager aren't to drink alcohol just yet.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
If she had 2 sips she shouldn't have said she had because it wouldn't be traceable in her system. She dug her own grave.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
Yeah, unfortunately, school policy is still school policy. Quantity, especially under the legal age tends to be frowned upon.

Here in the US, someone underage has a MUCH lower "legal limit" than someone than whose legally able to drink so.

Anyhow, theres not much you can do.
Do you mean zero? I suppose zero is technically less than .05 and up, but why bother saying it at all?

I find your post silly
A lot of medicines, and mouthwash and so on, contain alcohol, so there IS a "legal" limit for those under the age of 21 in the US. That way if they happened to be taking medication or for god sake, used mouthwash, they're not going to get arrested for it.