My teacher wants us to become social deviants...

zana bonanza

Oct 22, 2009
For an assignment, which has limits and is only for a little bit, so it's actually not that big of a deal. However, I am having the hardest time coming up a social norm to break.

If you haven't guessed yet, the class is Sociology and the assignment includes a paper about my experience. We have to break "a clearly defined societal-level norm" in the presence of others, without the help of anyone else or letting anyone know why we're doing it initially. It cannot be illegal, "stupid", cause embarrassment to or threaten others, involve a moving vehicle of any kind, involve anything sexual, or be done under the influence of alcohol/drugs. So, yeah.

The example she gave us: getting into an elevator and facing the rear, while others are (most likely) facing the doors. Obviously, I can't use the example. I thought about walking backwards everywhere, but that's not very practical and I'd rather not fall on my ass. For some reason, my brain is now drawing a complete blank.

So I turn to you, good people of the Escapist. Care to throw any ideas my way? (I don't suppose asking the internet for help with your homework is breaking a social norm, is it?)

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Hmmm... Go to the mall and find a nice, circular area. Just start jogging around it. Someone's bound to join up with you eventually and then more people may come.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Don't do anything and tell your teacher that the norm you are breaking is doing work. Everyone does their work always, but why?
If your teacher has a good sense of humor, you get an A for not doing anything. If not E. Worth a shot right?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Go to a restaurant, order, and stand throughout the meal.
I saw a video on something exactly like this, but that's the only one I remember.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Bring a gallon of chocolate milk to the gym and work out.

I had a similar project like this. I used to work at the gym so my buddy that worked there got the security tapes and we looked at peoples reactions. Lulz were had.

EDIT:
Luke5515 said:
Don't do anything and tell your teacher that the norm you are breaking is doing work. Everyone does their work always, but why?
If your teacher has a good sense of humor, you get an A for not doing anything. If not E. Worth a shot right?
Do this! I love this idea.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Reading a book backwards and upside down in a public library. That was a good one I did once. I got some funny looks. That was part of a joke and I'm not sure if it applies here but I hope it helps. Talking loudly in a library, would that do it?

EDIT:
Luke5515 said:
This looks like the best idea I've seen. I laughed a lot.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Before you sit down, turn your chair so the back rest rests against your chest. Do this in a fancy restaurant for extra deviancy points.

w1n5t0n

Jul 29, 2009
Go trick-or-treating. Just dress up and go door to door asking for candy. It's not halloween and i assume you're kinda too old for it now, so a societal norm thing is broken, and you might get candy out of it!

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
You could go to a restraunt for dinner and order breakfast. Or maybe you could calculate the cost of your food and give them the money before ordering.

Jul 9, 2008
Thomas-101 said:
Reading a book backwards and upside down in a public library. That was a good one I did once. I got some funny looks. That was part of a joke and I'm not sure if it applies here but I hope it helps. Talking loudly in a library, would that do it?
I'm not sure that counts because you can't physically read a book that way. That's not breaking a norm, that's just not reading.

Aug 25, 2009
zana bonanza said:
It cannot be illegal, "stupid", cause embarrassment to or threaten others, involve a moving vehicle of any kind, involve anything sexual, or be done under the influence of alcohol/drugs.
Where's the fun in that? And it can't be stupid? I don't think that's even possible.

Every Monday I take my acoustic guitar, go outside the serious library at the university, and play for two hours while marching up and down the seven foot wall that surrounds it, then get down and go home. (This sounds like something you should do at univeristy but believe me, you don't do it outside this library...)

How about wearing all of your clothes on backwards? Dressing as a character from a popular movie and only talking in lines of their dialogue for the whole day?

Maybe you should watch Whose Line Is It Anyway? Watch partyquirks, let's make a date and film television and theatre styles, and get some tips from there.

How about going the whole day like you're in a Shakespearean drama? Or in an Indiana Jones film? Or a space opera? Act like you're a time travellor from the Victorian era and address anyone on the phone like they're talking to themselves and crazy, act like modern inventions are new and foreign to you. Spend the entire day crawling everywhere. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

londelen

Apr 15, 2009
I thought of about 5000 things, but her rules ban all of them. Sorry, I can't help.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
When you
return your paper,
it should be in a
terrific vain of
English manipulation.
To illustrate my
helpful point,
I used a
silly way to
write this post.
all
you have to do is something similar

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Walk out onto the street and point up. eventually people will begin looking where you are pointing. Its hilarious.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Wear your underwear OUTSIDE your pants

OR

Say "hello" to every single person you see.

OR

Play with your old childish toys (i.e. Ninja Turtles) in a public place. Make sure to make your own sound effects too.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
Hand random shit to people and watch them react after they mindlessly take it.
It's fucking hilarious.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Walk up the stairs backwards, wear clothes wrong, or ignore personal space when having conversations.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
dont do the assignment.. break the norm of doing your teacher's assignments...