My theory as to why all bible games have been terrible.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
The Bible makes little to no sense, so it would be hard to make a coherent game based on it. Most bible games are educational anyway, which explain why they may not be designed for fun.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
There are demons, but they don't get much light until say the book of revelations or Dante's Inferno (the poem, not the game)
You do realize that Dante's Inferno is not part of the Bible right? Furthermore many of the figures that appear in Dante's Inferno are borrowed from various mythologies(mainly greek though)and historical figures.
I know, my point was that description on the devil and his minions where only really written AFTER the Bible was made.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Just a few ideas about bible-based games:

RTS: The discovery and conquest of Kanaan
RPG: Being one of the prophets. Or delivering the message to the Romans.

There can no doubt be games based on the bible, like there are games that are based on (and not belong to) greek mythology, like God of War. That game isn't part of greek mythology, it just borrows the setting. You can easily use the settings that are given in the bible, and build a game around it, any game actually. You can even make Jesus a time traveller from the future, holding big guns and killing Romans. (It wouldn't be a good game though)

The main reason for these games not existing is probably because christianity is a contemporary religion. Imagine the hate from various religious movements when such a game would be made. Instead of that, developers go with the less inflammable Greek, Norse, Chinese and whatever mythology.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
CORRODED SIN said:
I didn't know Valve had untalented people and of all things, RUSHED DEVELOPMENTS. Are you sure you know what you're talking about? I haven't heard of budget Actvision titles. They kind of just piss money onto games.
There's a difference between VALVE and VALUE. You know, between V and U. I wasn't talking about Valve with two V's.

ACTIVISION VALUE with a U is a buget Activision division, so yeah, they have a truckload of incredibly shitty budget titles.
Oh, sorry, I read that at like 4 am, so the letters just blended together. I get what your saying now. My bad. Yes, Activision will pretty much publish anything that involves you hitting the "start" button.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Heresy101 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Let me stop you right there, the reason they're aren't any Bible games(that you know of there are plenty) is because the Bible is clear. Mythology not so much which is why game creators use it as a free idea bin. The Bible being straight forward provides explanation unlike mythology.
Clear?! LOLWUT. You'd need a team of 27 theologians just to understand which bits are metaphor and what "context" the verses could possibly be in that makes them ok.

My theory as to why all bible games have been terrible:
The Bible itself is terrible. Poor source material.
Whatever you say paperboy, cause darwin was oh so clear!
@Skullkid4187

1) Darwin was clear. His science may have had a few holes, but he didn't go around speaking in metaphors like Jesus.
2) Heresy never mentioned Darwin (by the way, it would be nice if you took the time to capitalize the man's name). Don't arbitrarily assign him a viewpoint just for criticizing the Bible. For instance, just because I don't like FOX News doesn't mean I like MSNBC.
3) Darwin himself never meant to assault religion. He just thought that he found something of scientific merit and decided to study it.
4) Heresy is right. The Bible is not clear- if it were, I'd be Catholic right now instead of Lutheran. It has been interpreted in many different ways by countless organizations, and it's messages are still debated to this day.
5) Did...did you just talk down to someone based on post count? That's called an ad-hominem attack, and aside from being a no-no in debates, your reason for invoking it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter what his or her post count is, if his or her argument is valid. I thought we were past that sort of elitism here?

@Heresy101

I know you're new, and while I respect your right to dislike the text of another religion, try not to dismiss outright the basis of an entire faith here, especially without giving a reason, okay? That sort of thing is best saved for the religion and politics board, as it causes flame wars and may come across as mean spirited. I know everyone here likes to be smarmy, and, to a certain degree, I like that. But that doesn't mean we can't be polite every once in a while, either.

On-topic: Honestly, I don't think there's any reason for Bible games to be bad. I've had a few ideas for ways to make good Bible games myself, but I'm no game designer. I suppose the chief problem is probably the Bible's attitude towards violence. Considering most games today involve killing of some sort, a lot of developers probably have a problem responding to "Thou shalt not kill." Then you end up with weird stuff, like in the AVGN's videos.
Learn some history cause the difference between Lutheranism and Catholicism is very clear and it goes back to the Medici family.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Heresy101 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Let me stop you right there, the reason they're aren't any Bible games(that you know of there are plenty) is because the Bible is clear. Mythology not so much which is why game creators use it as a free idea bin. The Bible being straight forward provides explanation unlike mythology.
Clear?! LOLWUT. You'd need a team of 27 theologians just to understand which bits are metaphor and what "context" the verses could possibly be in that makes them ok.

@Skullkid4187

1) Darwin was clear. His science may have had a few holes, but he didn't go around speaking in metaphors like Jesus.
2) Heresy never mentioned Darwin (by the way, it would be nice if you took the time to capitalize the man's name). Don't arbitrarily assign him a viewpoint just for criticizing the Bible. For instance, just because I don't like FOX News doesn't mean I like MSNBC.
3) Darwin himself never meant to assault religion. He just thought that he found something of scientific merit and decided to study it.
4) Heresy is right. The Bible is not clear- if it were, I'd be Catholic right now instead of Lutheran. It has been interpreted in many different ways by countless organizations, and it's messages are still debated to this day.
5) Did...did you just talk down to someone based on post count? That's called an ad-hominem attack, and aside from being a no-no in debates, your reason for invoking it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter what his or her post count is, if his or her argument is valid. I thought we were past that sort of elitism here?

@Heresy101

I know you're new, and while I respect your right to dislike the text of another religion, try not to dismiss outright the basis of an entire faith here, especially without giving a reason, okay? That sort of thing is best saved for the religion and politics board, as it causes flame wars and may come across as mean spirited. I know everyone here likes to be smarmy, and, to a certain degree, I like that. But that doesn't mean we can't be polite every once in a while, either.

On-topic: Honestly, I don't think there's any reason for Bible games to be bad. I've had a few ideas for ways to make good Bible games myself, but I'm no game designer. I suppose the chief problem is probably the Bible's attitude towards violence. Considering most games today involve killing of some sort, a lot of developers probably have a problem responding to "Thou shalt not kill." Then you end up with weird stuff, like in the AVGN's videos.
Learn some history cause the difference between Lutheranism and Catholicism is very clear and it goes back to the Medici family.
Oy vey, now he's starting a flame war with me. My point was that the Bible is not clear, as is evidenced by the existence of numerous groups with different viewpoints towards it, such as Lutherans and Catholics. If it were clear, there would have been no reason for anybody to contest the viewpoints of the Catholic church, you see?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
maybe because of the attitude that rings clear from these kinds of threads: You wouldn't give a bible game a chance, so why would a talented team bother making it?

Limzz

Apr 16, 2010
BlindMessiah94 said:
Limzz said:
Personally I would never buy a game from a studio that made a "Bible Game"
Why? Who's to say the same studio is incapable of making a great game as well?

Not that it has happened yet mind you...
I would not support a religious studio even if they made the best game ever.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Heresy101 said:
Skullkid4187 said:

@Skullkid4187

@Heresy101

Oy vey, now he's starting a flame war with me. My point was that the Bible is not clear, as is evidenced by the existence of numerous groups with different viewpoints towards it, such as Lutherans and Catholics. If it were clear, there would have been no reason for anybody to contest the viewpoints of the Catholic church, you see?
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
SuperMse said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Heresy101 said:
Skullkid4187 said:

@Skullkid4187

@Heresy101

Start...no you did that by commenting on something i put, now you're trying to act like you didn't start this, but you did. The Bible is clear, it's just certain people believe that the Bible is centered on them,, example blacks in the Civil War, mormons.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
thiosk said:
The reason bible video games generally suck is the same reason that movie videogames suck.

They are about the bible, and about the movie first, rather than being about the game first.
That's pretty much it right there. Like movie games, they're just quick and crappy cash-ins to rake in some dough from unsuspecting consumers.

Also, I have a very hard time figuring out what kind of genre a GOOD bible game would be, and what the objectives would be?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
mjc0961 said:
thiosk said:
The reason bible video games generally suck is the same reason that movie videogames suck.

They are about the bible, and about the movie first, rather than being about the game first.
That's pretty much it right there. Like movie games, they're just quick and crappy cash-ins to rake in some dough from unsuspecting consumers.

Also, I have a very hard time figuring out what kind of genre a GOOD bible game would be, and what the objectives would be?
being a jewish zealot against the romans would probably be awesome, though, spoiler alert, you die in the end.

edit: sort of like spartan total warrior but without the mythological stuff and monsters and more gritty. It would have some things taken a little bit from that game and assassin's creed and maybe a little bit of the brutal legend's RTS'ness(though it would have tobe used better)

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I suspect it's more a matter of designers. No major game company is going to make a deeply religious video game, so these games need to be made by worse developers. Also, the source material is still religion. A lot of people would be very angry with a game that does to their religion what, say, God of War did to Greek mythology.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm a Christian, so I know well that Christian media companies often just try to rip off something more mainstream and make it more tame and give it some kind of lesson (which is not often scriptural). They do this with a lower budget than their non-Christian counterparts, and what is produced is often a hokey, cheap feeling clone of whatever they were trying to rip off.
They're also often under such creative restraints due to the fact that they have to be so safe as to not offend their target audience (who is easily offended) and those who are funding them (who probably have little knowledge about the medium). I steer clear of media that arise from these types of situations. Christians can be creative and shouldn't isolate themselves.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Limzz said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
Limzz said:
Personally I would never buy a game from a studio that made a "Bible Game"
Why? Who's to say the same studio is incapable of making a great game as well?

Not that it has happened yet mind you...
Still haven't said why though...right now all I'm getting is that you have made an absolute decision that you will never sway from, which hardly makes you sound any better than said religious groups.

Sep 14, 2009
Lullabye said:
Aby_Z said:
Perhaps it's also that a good deal of people are moving towards becoming Atheist or otherwise not part of the main, big religions. Because of this, making a game about the Bible wouldn't go down too well with this growing majority and the game wouldn't sell to well.
This may be true. But I'm not exactly a follower of Greek mythos, yet I still greatly enjoyed God of War.

Maybe what they should try is to make a game based on an Atheist version of the Bible(doesn't make sense, I know). Saying what actually happened assuming "God", you know, doesn't exist.
Take David and Golaith for example. God teaching us a lesson, or actually just a lucky pebble through the eye?
Or maybe they could take the stories Jesus told, and make you play more epic versions of them.
The Good Samaritan for example.
Help a guy in a ditch? Booooring.
Help a guy in a ditch fight off some bandits, maybe a tiger or two? Sure, I'd play that.
this. there are quite a few movies and stories that are easily relateable to bible/bible stories, its just adding on tid bits here and there that would make them interesting. and i think people would be too worried and critical about the game trying to "convert" people. if there was a bible game, that i checked out, and it looked good, i would play it, regardless if there is a bible or not, after all its just a game

Heresy101

Oct 21, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
Limzz said:
Still haven't said why though...right now all I'm getting is that you have made an absolute decision that you will never sway from, which hardly makes you sound any better than said religious groups.
Just because he hasn't said why doesn't mean he is without a reason.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Heresy101 said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
Limzz said:
Just because he hasn't said why doesn't mean he is without a reason.
Of course, but what am I, a mind reader? All I can do is fill in the blanks and right now he just sounds like he is blindly following a sentiment. I'd love to hear what his reasons are actually.

Heresy101

Oct 21, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
Of course, but what am I, a mind reader? All I can do is fill in the blanks and right now he just sounds like he is blindly following a sentiment. I'd love to hear what his reasons are actually.
I think assuming that he's "blindly following a sentiment" is a much greater leap than assuming he has a reason for his distaste. If I was going to guess, I'd say he was an atheist (and therefore doesn't believe religion is true and presumably sees it as a spreader of untruth) and perhaps an anti-theist (because of religion's immoral teachings and practices in certain areas). If that was the case (and I assume I'm close to the mark) then he has every reason to boycott a religious company. I do the same with religious charities.