Mysterious Bug Cripples PS3s Worldwide

Glennr21

Jul 17, 2009
I sent my xbox in to get fixed today, bought heavy rain put it in just for this to happen. I am losing all faith in games consoles. :(

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
PS3's are back to normal, just need to set the correct date displayed on the XMB.

To recover trophies for a game, insert the game and boot it up. Exit and there should be a 0% trophy list for that game. Go to trophy list and Sync with server (Triangle), and it should put your trophies back on the list. Had to do this for MW2 and Uncharted 2 (which didn't need seperate syncing).

Overall, there seem to be no lasting harm (if you had all lost trophies synced before the error happened). We'll just have to wait until the next even non-leap year (2014) to see whether it happens again, if a firmware doesn't fix it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
WakeTheDead1 said:
ColdStorage said:
OK I've got the actually model of PS3 affected, this is what I've done so far and its worked;

Reset the date to 10/10/2009, formated my HDD thereby losing all information but I don't really care about gamerscore.

Its not online and its working with Bioshock which is a Trophy heavy game.
man just wait for the fix, im not losing all my saved games for the sake of waiting a few hours
I was going to sell all my current games apart from KillZone2 and Far Cry 2 which I had planned on restarting from scratch, also my PS2 saves dissapeared after my Nephew fucked around on it (also my HDMI cable went missing, the little shit) so I had nothing to lose.

Because I had nothing to lose I figured out a workaround, shower me with praise!

HOORAY FOR ME!

John Funk said:
I kind of like "Apocalyps3" myself.
we have a winner

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
It hit me hard. I can't play Bayonetta (which I only got yesterday) and I lost all the trophies I got yesterday.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hubilub said:
There isn't a single game I can play, I don't have any demos left because I deleted them for space, and games I've bought form PSN like Mega Man 9 aren't working.

We all know what this means... I can go and play some Fallout instead!
Or you could post more on the Escapist!
Or I could *gasp* do both!?

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Wargamer said:
This is why I hate DRM; "oh, you want to use your product that you paid for? TOUGH SHIT! You can only use it when WE decide!"

Movie companies don't insist I can only watch DVDs on a single DVD player, and only when that DVD player is connected to the net
A few years ago Sony decided they would do just that. They gave up on the movie end of it, but they still do it for a large portion of their CD's. Can you say Rootkit children?

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Oh man. That was close. I was just about to go make my first level in LBP. That would have been no fun. =[

Thank you kindly, Mr. Chalk!

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Played mine this morning seemed to have skipped it, but i did buy mine about a month before the price reduction so that could be why it is somewhat new.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Super zzz from me today.

Was going to play some MAG and go try to forgive some of the reaaaaaaaaally bad graphic problems I'm having with Heavy Rain but... :|.

Mortal Online for me instead.

Also, one of my computers hard drives died. Technology for the win.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
damnit! First my computer craps out (I'm on my wife's laptop) now I can't touch my ps3. What the fuck am I going to have to dust off the wii to get my game on? Figures this would happen on my days off.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Was playing LBP online all weekend with no errors, and I got the 160GB fat model, so I guess I lucked out.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Wargamer said:
This is why I hate DRM; "oh, you want to use your product that you paid for? TOUGH SHIT! You can only use it when WE decide!"

It's my fucking game. Movie companies don't insist I can only watch DVDs on a single DVD player, and only when that DVD player is connected to the net, so why the fuck to game companies think they can get away with it?
If only that were true. When you "buy" a game you just buy a license to play it. It's not right, it's not moral, but it's true. It's also bullshit.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
i was really expecting more 12 year old xbox fanbois with the whole "you said your console was better cos it dont break, well lookie now!"
am pleasantly surprised there isnt.
glad i'm not affected by this cos it would super suck.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
RikSharp said:
i was really expecting more 12 year old xbox fanbois with the whole "you said your console was better cos it dont break, well lookie now!"
am pleasantly surprised there isnt.
glad i'm not affected by this cos it would super suck.
And yet, my PS2, NES, and GameCube are still riding strong. :D