Mythbusters' Upcoming Season 14 Will be Its Last

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mythbusters' Upcoming Season 14 Will be Its Last

The Mythbusters will bust their last myth in 2016.

It's official: the legendary Mythbusting duo of Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman will bust their last myth next year. The Discovery Channel has announced that Season 14 of Mythbusters, set to premiere on January 9, 2016, will be its last. While it certainly is very sad to see such a long-time staple of nerd culture disappear, the good news is, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/21/mythbusters-ending-interview], the dynamic duo explain that they knew the end was coming, and have planned to go out with a bang.

"It was my greatest fear that Mythbusters would just stop and we wouldn't be able to do proper final episodes," said Savage. "So whether it's myths about human behavior or car stories or explosion stories, we tried to find the most awesome example of each category and build on our past history."

Additionally, Hyneman and Savage are going back on the road for one last Mythbusters Live tour starting next month, and both expect it might be their final time working together. It's no secret that despite their on-screen chemistry, the pair are not exactly... fond of each other, and have had many a creative difference in the past.

Be sure to read the full EW interview [http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/21/mythbusters-ending-interview] for some insights from Savage and Hyneman about the show's legacy. The one thing that they do actually agree on is that Mythbusters has inspired generations of viewers of all ages to become interested in science.

What do you guys think about this? Personally, I'm really sad to see it go, but that said, it's better to go out with a bang than fade into mediocrity like a certain yellow-skinned cartoon family...

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/21/mythbusters-ending-interview]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Honestly, despite the show feeling stale for me I am still feeling very sorry to see it go. Stale or not and as weird as it sounds I never regretted watching it whenever I had the chance.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I've long been of the opinion that Mythbusters is the best science show on TV. It focuses squarely on the notion of controlled experiments, and while it isn't always reliable, they genuinely do their best to tackle all the subjects as fairly as they can. I love their willingness to examine even the silliest questions with the same level of rigour (I'm looking at you, "a rolling stone gathers no moss"), and although I do get a bit tired of the obsession with guns and explosions I understand their value in keeping the show exciting to a general audience.
So I'm sorry to see it finish - although frankly it's amazing that any show manages to keep going as long as it has!

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
yeah, i didnt like it that much either in last 2 seasons (ever since bteam went) but "not that good" mythbusters is still way better then 90% of the other crap that gets made and called "documentary"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
They weren't fond of each other?

Aww man, I always pictured them as brothers; plenty of squabbling but they always have each other's back. Somehow it made the show feel that much cooler. Then again I haven't seen Myth Busters in ages. Maybe the spark was, as they say, gone for a bit now.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Flatfrog said:
I've long been of the opinion that Mythbusters is the best science show on TV. It focuses squarely on the notion of controlled experiments, and while it isn't always reliable, they genuinely do their best to tackle all the subjects as fairly as they can.
Considering the nature of the show, the budget and all that jazz, yeah. They're alright. Hopefully they will be replaced by something better eventually.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
The last series I saw wasn't as good as previous ones, they got rid of the other team and didn't seem to be of as good quality overall. As disappointing as it is hearing that Mythbusters is going, its better than seeing it slowly get worse and worse until the inevitable end.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I believe Darth Vader said it best: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

I love this show so much. It will be missed

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Renegade-pizza said:
I believe Darth Vader said it best: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
Surely you mean DOO NOOOT WAAAAAANNNTT.

I haven't seen a Mythbusters in years, so it was probably time for it to end. I didn't realise Adam and Jamie didn't like each other though, that's a shame.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
I didn't realise Adam and Jamie didn't like each other though, that's a shame.
I can't imagine that being all that true. I mean, working with people you don't like for business reasons is common enough, but a television show for 14 years? I'd think both of them are qualified enough to find other shit if it was really an issue.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Honestly im not surprised. While i thought it was still good, ever since Kari, Grant and Tory left theres been a noticeable decline, too much focus on essentially putting on a performance (that Indiana Jones thing in the most recent season, for instance) instead of getting down to whether or not [x] was feasible in real life.

Still, better to know the end and welcome it then to have it come without notice.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I had no idea when it was still on. I suppose discovery wanted to make more room for naked people running around the woods.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
A shame, but it's probably for the best. After the build team left, it's just not as good.

Also, finding out that Jamie and Adam apparently don't like each other kinda ruined the show for me. It's just so hard to imagine... Still like the show, though. Maybe I oughta get the DVDs then, since I don't pay much attention to TV schedules.

Captcha: generation x

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Jadak said:
fix-the-spade said:
I didn't realise Adam and Jamie didn't like each other though, that's a shame.
I can't imagine that being all that true. I mean, working with people you don't like for business reasons is common enough, but a television show for 14 years? I'd think both of them are qualified enough to find other shit if it was really an issue.
That's only 14 years of the one show (well, longer probably, they're seasonal layout was odd to say the least). Their original work of special effect artists as M5 Industries has been around a fair bit longer. They have had creative differences but if they didn't like each other as claimed then they would have parted ways well before mythbusters was started.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
As much as I hate to hear this...well...let's just say I recently saw how Two and a half men ended and no know there are MUCH worse ways to go.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I too was kinda shocked to hear they don't like each other. It's a testament to their professionalism then that they've worked together so well. The show wouldn't exist without them and that on-screen chemistry they have.

You can kinda tell from their interviews that they feel kinda burned out, so maybe it's best they go.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I stopped caring about that show a long time ago and I'm kind of glad to see it die with dignity, it would be nice to see all 14 seasons up on something like Netflix or Hulu though...(if it's already up somewhere please correct me, I only use Netflix and don't have Hulu or anything else)

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
As much as I used to enjoy it, I really do think it's time to end. Like others have said already, the show wasn't nearly as fun or enjoyable after Tory, Grant, and Kari left. It feels like a zombie show, now; all the fun's gone.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I liked the show but I thought it ended years ago. I lost interest when they were doing advertizing for movies and companies as "myths" and Discovery channel lost all interest in science.