Namco/Capcom Crossover Confirmed at Comic-Con

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Namco/Capcom Crossover Confirmed at Comic-Con

Remember those rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102202-Rumor-Capcom-and-Namco-Making-Pair-of-Crossover-Fighters] about a pair of fighting games from Namco and Capcom? Turns out they're completely true.

Capcom has caught the crossover bug it seems, as not only is it working on a new Marvel vs. Capcom game, it's also partnered with Namco to create a pair of Street Fighter/Tekken crossover games, just like the rumors suggested earlier in the week. Capcom will work on Street Fighter X Tekken, which will play like a Street Fighter game, and Namco will make Tekken X Street Fighter which - as you've probably already guessed - will be more like a Tekken game. It's not the full Namco/Capcom crossover that the rumors suggested, but it's not unusual for Capcom to start relatively small, and then widen the net for future games. For example, Street Fighter vs. X-Men led to the Marvel vs. Capcom games, and there's no reason the same thing won't apply here.

The announcement came as Tekken producers "crashed" the Capcom Comic-Con panel, handing out copies of Tekken 6 to the crowd, and proceeding to trash talk Capcom's Yoshinori Ono like he was a professional wrestler. Details are obviously very thin on the ground, but the short amount of gameplay footage shown - which is from Street Fighter X Tekken - seemed to suggest that there would be some kind of tag team functionality, as Ryu and Chun-Li took on Kazuya and Nina, with Chun-Li and Nina providing assistance in their partners ultra combos.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the two games translate to the different play style of the other and how characters designed to fight in 2D will be tweaked for 3D and vice versa. It's very early days, so there's no release date just yet.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180566]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I wouldnt mind playing this just to see how they combined two different fighting game styles.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
So does this mean that there'll be one with Tekken characters in Street Fighter, and Street Fighter characters in Tekken?

If not, this still looks awesome

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sweeet~ Well, it should turn out some very, very intresting results to be sure!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm very interested in seeing how this works out. It's certainly much more of a risk than MvC3 is, and I just hope it pans out both for the developers and the players.

As for it including a larger roster than just SF and Tekken characters.. I wouldn't throw that hope out just yet. Both games are quite early in development and the trailer does show a silly Mega Man VS Pac-Man clip so you never know. Honestly, I think if there is a character restriction in place it may be for the best simply because these games may be more straight forward and less "wacky" than the MvC series... but that too is tough to say this early.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
As good as the Capcom version will be and how well the Tekken characters seem to translate over (very well actually) into the cell-shaded Street Fighter world, it won't work the other way round.

Tekken characters are (to a point) more realistic compared to Street Fighter's larger than life characters. Just imagine Chun-Li's thighs in a realistic 3D model for a sec. It'll look ridiculous, but its acceptable in cel-shaded. Then there's the whole 3D movement, juggling and haduken attacks issues with sort out with the SF guys.

In all fairness Namco and Capcom, just do this one to EPIC standards, and ignore doing the Tekken version.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Well I was hoping for Namco vs Capcom, I really wanted to see Viewtiful Joe versus Pac-Man, but I'll see how the roster ends up looking. I'm not a big fan of Street Fighter so if all I get is Tekken with some Street Fighter characters in it I may as well not bother.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I'm pretty excited for this. I have a feeling it'll be easier to fit the Tekken characters into SF's mechanics than fitting SF characters into Tekken. Tekken characters have more versatility in their movesets so it'll be easier to trim it down and really refine them. As a result Street Fighter x Tekken will be the superior game. That's just my opinion though.

Oh and Zangief/King will be awesome.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Interesting that they're doing both crossovers, i do wonder which will work better because the trailer seemed to work pretty damned well

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
A Namco/Capcom crossover!!!

:D

It's Street Fighter vs. Tekken!

:/

:(

Well... good for Tekken fans I guess. Though I would have preferred a full Namco vs. Capcom though. Missed opportunity, and I don't think this will fly well with so many other better fighting games, and even better Versus games out now.

The double Ultra combos looks sexy though :0

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Never liked MvC myself, so for me this is awesome news. Capcom vs. SNK 3 it's not, but good enough nonetheless. Also, good news is that it's strictly SF vs. Tekken and not the "iconic, yet totally unfitting for a fighter characters go at it" kind of bullshit.

What with SFIV, Tekken6, BlazBlue, this new development, etc. Things are looking good for fighting fans, making me a very happy man indeed.

EDIT: Of course, having fighters from the respective companies' other brawlers wouldn't hurt, just hold the Pac-Man vs. Megaman action please.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
yanipheonu said:
A Namco/Capcom crossover!!!

It's Street Fighter vs. Tekken!

:/

:(

Well... good for Tekken fans I guess. Though I would have preferred a full Namco vs. Capcom though. Missed opportunity, and I don't think this will fly well with so many other better fighting games, and even better Versus games out now.

The double Ultra combos looks sexy though :0
You said it. Where is my Kos-mos/Megaman [X] team up?! Or my Morrigan/Ivy "Distracted by the Sexy" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DistractedByTheSexy] team? I demand answers!
If this truly is some sort of stepping stone, well, that's fine, so long as we get there eventually, but I still don't see why we can't skip straight to dessert, it's what everybody really wants anyway.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Is it me, or do the Tekken characters fit the art style better than the SF characters? o__O'

I had my reserves, but after watching the trailer a few times this looks pretty cool. Too bad it's limited to specifically Street Fighter and Tekken characters though. :/