Name Game: Putting the Bash in Bastion

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
RejjeN said:
Fair enough, though unlike Limbo Bastion is roughly 8~ hours long and with a new-mode plus (not sure if it's actually changes anything other than letting you use all the weapons with upgrades, but I guess that's why you have the shrine that lets you set your own difficulties. Supposedly if you enable all 10 "gods" it will be nigh unbeatable :D)
New game plus lets you keep everything you had from the end of the first game (minus the buildings - have to re-add them again, but the stuff they had in them is there when they get back), and it also adds a few new weapon skills, the last remaining difficulty idols, a couple of memorials, a secret item, and probably a couple of other little things I'm not remembering. Oh, the narration changes slightly in one or two places.

Honestly the only frown points I had for this game were as follows:

-Isometric movement kinda funky on keyboard (you get used to it, and they patched in a fix).

-Hit detection sometimes a bit wonky with melee weapons, mainly the hammer.

-Not much to do with it after playing through twice.

That last one is the only one that makes me sad. Seriously, if there were more to play in that game I'd still be playing it. As it is, I think I went through the full content in about 18 hours and was left wanting moar.

Great game. Especially loved the customizable difficulty settings. Best way to add challenge to a game on a personalized level I can recall having seen anywhere. I wish more games had something like that so turning it up from Hard to Chaos didn't just mean "All enemies have seemingly infinite health and kill you in two hits now." Let me make them faster and more aggressive without having them also become unkillable or hit like trucks!

Grabbed the soundtrack edition at full price. No regrets. (Did I mention the music's pretty great?)

Uzbekistan

Dec 17, 2009
I wish I could. I'll buy a gift card and do it that way. I don't trust XBLA with my mom's credit card.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Lady knows what she's talking about. Lady knows that the Bastion is where its at. Fact I have a theory she's playing it right as we speak...

On topic excellent comic, that game is indeed amazing and that narrators voice is pure sex on the ears.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Saw your tweet by Supergiant Games. Congrats on the notoriety. Your comic is great and it deserves all the attention it can get.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Now I got the "I'm coming home" song stuck in my head. Again. Confound this game, it drove me to purchase the soundtrack.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
So I just read this comic for the first time since its debut on the Escapist, and I have to say, your art has gotten really good.

Also Bastion is now a close second to Braid for my personal best game ever.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Lost In The Void said:
On topic excellent comic, that game is indeed amazing and that narrators voice is pure sex on the ears.
True. His narration is the frosty icing on the many layered cake that is Bastion.

Speaking of Cake I'm just going to put this right here:

<youtube=hVHn0eyGZAA>

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Lost In The Void said:
True. His narration is the frosty icing on the many layered cake that is Bastion.

Speaking of Cake I'm just going to put this right here:

<youtube=hVHn0eyGZAA>
yay!! I was mystified as how the Portalsphere had missed posting about that on the escapist. I laughed. Love the narrator. Best. Voice. Ever.