Name Game: We Wanted the Cup

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Krzysztof Wisniewski said:
oh believe me, seeing our city riot like that was ridiculous. I mean, yeah, it was expected that some sports nuts might get upset..... but seeing THOSE riots? Seriously? Made me just want to cry seeing the stupidity of people.

I remember watching the footage on tv and radio and just basically all the newspeople mentioning how stupid people in the crowd were for starting this. There were families at those outdoor screens! Stupid people! *grumbles*

Great....now we'll be the butt of everyone's jokes (not that us Canadians weren't before.......)
Yeah, but the joke use to be about how Canadians were too polite. Now it well probably be turned into a joke about how Canadians are violently polite to help the transition to just violent.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Good to see that kathleen is still saying whargarbl, everytime she said that on desert bus it just sounded so werid, and I laughed. Of course.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
LRR sketch about helping Squir move? Lol well there's a thought for the day. Hope the move went well! Cheers!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Slycne said:
I just like that during all the rioting a perfume store got looted. Cause you know when your busy being angry about your team loosing you should at least smell nice.
That's so very like the Canadians.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
I suggest you wait and see if Vancouver is still standing before you put all your worldly belongings in it. I will tell my grandchildren of the day Vancouver burnt so brightly you could see the fires from rural Ontario. Also it might sink into the sea like a modern day Atlantis ... except with more beer.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Good luck with the move - I did the cross-country thing myself 4 years ago (though not between countries) and it was quite rough at times. Got a bit lucky, so it wasn't bad. But I didn't get to watch hockey with LRR either, so we're even.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Moving, eh? haven't really done that myself, so don't know what you're going trough.
But still, best of luck. And this comic/picture/sketch/thingy was funny nonetheless. Looking forward to the next one!

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
Did anyone expect there not to be rioting? In '94 we had that huge riot and the expectations for the Canucks wern't nearly as high. Getting 1/5th of the city's population (most of which had been drinking) into a small area and then pissing them off usually doesn't end well.

I'm just glad I decided to watch the game at home. I heard the horror stories of my parents trying to get me and my brother back home after we lost our '94 cup run (I was 4, so I don't remember it).

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Lack of strip is a bummer, but combining Name Game and LoadingReadyRun, even if just sketches, is very much not a bad thing.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
oh believe me, seeing our city riot like that was ridiculous. I mean, yeah, it was expected that some sports nuts might get upset..... but seeing THOSE riots? Seriously? Made me just want to cry seeing the stupidity of people.

I remember watching the footage on tv and radio and just basically all the newspeople mentioning how stupid people in the crowd were for starting this. There were families at those outdoor screens! Stupid people! *grumbles*

Great....now we'll be the butt of everyone's jokes (not that us Canadians weren't before.......)
It surely wiped the smug grin off everyones faces. The sense of entitlement about the stanley cup in Vancouver was palpable, it was almost like they should have been given it for just turning up. I'm glad they lost and I'm glad they rioted as now the local vancouver media will have something other than the olmypics to talk about for the next 20 years.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:

You're right, but no for your reasons...

This was a Canadian riot. Only about $700,000 in damages, not too many people in the hospital, only a couple dead, and a few dozen lives ruined.

DID YOU SEE WHEN DUKE WON THE TITLE A FEW YEARS BACK? They practically razed the city to the ground. This was nothing compared to some of the other riots, but its recent, and security has done a good job of stopping them as of late. But this wasn't even close.
what is this a "my riot is better than your riot", dick waving contest.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:

Well, I'm a massive Bruins fan.
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Vancouver though. I don't know why, but I was glad for them that they had a good season and was looking forward to seeing some good hockey between the two sides.
I wasn't disappointed there but... the last 24 hours has ruined my opinion of the fans and city itself. It always seemed like such a nice place and it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit but... yeah.

I'm not too concerned about it. First Stanley Cup in 40 years, first final in the time I've been a hockey fan. By far the most entertaining post-season I've ever witnessed.
To be fair though, Bruins fans were taunting Mason Raymond as he was helped off the ice after breaking one of his vertebrae. There are crap fans on both sides.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Going to Vancouver now eh? From when I've been there I can tell you it's a great city. Here in Calgary we almost almost came to a riot. I think some people smashed some stuff but mostly people vented in the nightclubs.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
i guess....ah well, cheaper house prices
Well, you know housing prices are messed up where you're from when a move to Vancouver is considered cheaper 0_o

I don't think I'd be able to get a two room apartment there with what I paid for a house where I'm from.