Name your overrated anime

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
dickywebster said:
I got up to Coyote dying I think when I just couldn't waste another minute on bleach. I only know about the ending because I spoilered myself because I was so sure that bleach would of finally ended. I actually resent shonen anime despite the absurd amount of it I've watched.

Matt9102

Aug 14, 2011
I know Naruto is over-rated, but I still love it.
However for me it has got to be Elfen Lied.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Part of me wants to say Naruto but that particular horse has been beaten so much I'm pretty sure it's been resurrected and killed a few hundred times.Plus I kinda of enjoy the show,was it the best,No, but it had some fun fights. Plus I love seeing the under dog win.

So I'll put up a nice inflammatory response : Madoka Magika.To start I really enjoyed this show but a some things hold. First,Kyubby failure at how energy works,Second the the explanation of Madoka being such a powerful magical is kind of flimsy. Finally,this is where over relatedness comes in, is the fans. I could live with the flaws if the fans would not treat it like the second coming. I get it you liked the show,now please shut up about it,and talk about Penguin-Drum or Hourou Musuko.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Richardplex said:
dickywebster said:
I got up to Coyote dying I think when I just couldn't waste another minute on bleach. I only know about the ending because I spoilered myself because I was so sure that bleach would of finally ended. I actually resent shonen anime despite the absurd amount of it I've watched.
Yeah it was kinda long, heck ive only got the first 6 series on dvd and it takes up as much room as any one of the star trek series...
On the other hand, cause of bleach i tend to look more at shorter ones now, the exception been one piece just cause ive been watching it for years and wont stop now. :)
Did get me watching hellsing ultimate accidently and i love that thing now!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Death Note goddamnit. Everybody keeps going on about how good it is. It's okay. People just overhype it to an incredible degree and it's sort of annoying and prevents me from properly enjoying the show.

And for some reason, people really overplay the "depth" of Code Geass. I thought it was a fun show to watch, but it's not really all that smart.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I went on an anime spree on Netflix yesterday and started watching Soul Eater, Baccano!, and Bleach.

So I'm going with Bleach. (I liked Soul Eater. Come at me.)

Bleach is extremely over-rated. Not to mention boring. I've never seen an anime with so much dialog and so little action.

On an optimistic note, Baccano! is one of the best animes I have seen in a long time.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Naruto, One Piece and Death Note. None of them are any good in any sense.

Bleach could be considered as well.

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
Death Note...

Also, for me the biggest, most overrated show in existence is Gintama. Don't believe me?
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php Those ranks are accumulated from user votes, and that community has a really strong taste in anime. I tried watching that show, but it was just direct references to other popular shonen anime that I don't give a crap about. Weak.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Joshimodo said:

This guy must really fucking hate Japanese 12 year old boys.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
AdeptaSororitas said:
I gotta Say Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I LOVED the original but I found Brotherhood (Which followed the manga) more convoluted and just plain dopey. And then the fandom ordered my death for heresy.
Yes. Yes we did. Not really though, you're entitled to your opinion.

One that really annoyed me was Noir. Not sure about how much of a raging fandom it has, but I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it. When I gave it a look though... Yawn.

Other than that I can only offer the usual 500+ episode shonen borefests.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
DarkRyter said:
Joshimodo said:

Or I could just have standards.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Joshimodo said:
DarkRyter said:
Joshimodo said:

Or I could just have standards.
No, see, Japanese 12 year old boys are the target demographic of those shows.

See, the point I'm trying to say is that you are not part of said demographic, and may very well harbor ill feelings towards said demographic.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
God, Neon Genesis was awful, especially when I was buying it on video and getting two episodes at a time. Pretentious nonsense that thought it was a lot more clever than it was.

My particular choice, though, would be Cowboy Bebop. I do love it, but I always felt the fact that they had all these disconnected plots for most of the series then resolved every single characters storyline in the last four or five episodes was a bit of a washout.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Fooly Cooly!

It's all nonsense I tell you! Nonsense! And judging from the explanations from people who like it, it still doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.

I hate it! HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE IT!

Phew....ok fans, come at me.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Johnnie Brambora said:
Also, for me the biggest, most overrated show in existence is Gintama. Don't believe me?
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php Those ranks are accumulated from user votes, and that community has a really strong taste in anime. I tried watching that show, but it was just direct references to other popular shonen anime that I don't give a crap about. Weak.
Holy Christ! I had no idea it was that popular. Yeah, gonna have to agree with this good fellow. I sat through two episodes and saw absolutely no reason to give a shit. It is a collection of clichés so dense you can practically hear the writers mark boxes on the list of "stuff that's always in anime".

And the usuals, which I won't even bother listing, because it's been done. Can't really come up with anything else, but then I try to forget most series that aren't good.

EDIT:
shadyh8er said:
Fooly Cooly!

It's all nonsense I tell you! Nonsense! And judging from the explanations from people who like it, it still doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.

I hate it! HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE IT!

Phew....ok fans, come at me.
As a FLCL fan, let me just say: it's cool, bro. Love and peace, you know? You're entitled to your opinions. I just happen to like nonsense.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Durarara, just so meh compared to its predecessor baccano and didnt really have much of a story.
There was a lost head, a brainwash blade and a anticlimactic gang fight(i guess)
Last ep was the best as it had nothing to do with any of this, just humor and action.
Like bleach it had too many characters vs character development vs likeability that probably lost my interest.

Most underrated is Ergo Proxy, seriously people hate on it for the dumbest reasons.