Name your overrated anime

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i know this is subjective and all, but what is, in your opinion, an anime that is overrated.

in my opinion, Neon Genesis Evangelion takes the cake (and maybe Berserk in some cases) due to it's slowness, and uninspired ending.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
thespyisdead said:
i know this is subjective and all, but what is, in your opinion, an anime that is overrated.

in my opinion, Neon Genesis Evangelion takes the cake (and maybe Berserk in some cases) due to it's slowness, and uninspired ending.
Definitely agree about Berserk. Considering I read the manga first, it was hard to ignore how the anime cut down on the action, and of course how it ended way before it was really over. The manga isn't even finished yet. I also can't forgive the weak punk rock intro music. That might have worked in a movie like Full Metal Jacket, but Berserk was way too dark for something so mild.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Naruto, for the life of me i cant see why some call it the greatest anime ever.

And ive watched 100 episodes, purely to try and find or work this out and i came up with nothing, sure its ok i guess, but not good enough to be so hyped...
Ok now as bleach and naruto seem to get linked a lot, i am a bleach fan, but thats mostly for the characters and awesome fights! Whereas the naruto characters all seem to be immoral people and the fights are mostly kinda meh, though there is the odd good fight ill admit, most of them just seem to take forever without a lot happening.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Let's get the obvous Nar- Well, that still leaves Bleach.

I'll join OP in NGE(the ending and the realistic, but so fucking annoying characters) and put up Elfen Lied, it was just pointless and felt forced.

EDIT: Technically not ninja'd... [sub]damn I'm slow[/sub]

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
dickywebster said:

And ive watched 100 episodes, purely to try and find or work this out and i came up with nothing, sure its ok i guess, but not good enough to be so hyped...
Ok now as bleach and naruto seem to get linked a lot, i am a bleach fan, but thats mostly for the characters and awesome fights! Whereas the naruto characters all seem to be immoral people and the fights are mostly kinda meh, though there is the odd good fight ill admit, most of them just seem to take forever without a lot happening.
I watched 395, and I still don't see how it is anything above the most concentrated piece of genericness still being released. Bleach had interesting characters and wasn't supposed to be a series like it is, so I turn a blind eye to the fact that it hasn't stopped after episode 62. Or that it's still going despite the fact that the story ended. But yeah, naruto. I cry a little inside whenever I acknowledge that it is above obscurity, while far greater anime are not.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Carboncrown said:
Let's get the obvous Nar- Well, that still leaves Bleach.

I'll join OP in NGE(the ending and the realistic, but so fucking annoying characters) and put up Elfen Lied, it was just pointless and felt forced.

EDIT: Technically not ninja'd... [sub]damn I'm slow[/sub]
Well, you've got all of mine nailed. Especially Elfen Lied IMO. Pointless is exactly the word to describe it.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Assuming this is all totally personal and nobody's going to throw a shit fit because I dared to be honest?

HellSing.

It just never got into it. I never understood it to begin with. The basic premise is cool, but I just can't recognize Dracula - all incarnations considered - in Alucard. Alucard feels more like Vlad's third-degree douchebag cousin than like Dracula himself, not to mention that the whole name-inversion thing has been done to death. There's Alucard in Castlevania, Alucard in HellSing, Alexander Lucard in Dracula: The Series (which was a piece of shit, I'll admit)...

And this is one of those anime where I'm just completely confused. I just don't get Integra or Seras or most of anyone in that show, Alucard godmodes 'cause he's just cool like that (which irritates me), and most of the plotlines I've bothered to follow made no freaking sense whatsoever.

Alucard falls in the same category as Dante, for me. I enjoy Devil May Cry (the game series) for its gameplay, but if only there was some sort of break between Dante's fighting style and his personality, I'd maybe tolerate it a little easier. As it is, I'm pretty sure he pulls off a lot of extraneous flips and ludicrous poses while wiping his ass after a dump. In HellSing, what really turned me off was seeing the guy prove to another that he wasn't affected by traditional weaknesses by riding on top of an airplane in broad daylight.

I get it - cool is cool. There's such a thing as too much cool, in my book. Alucard ends up reduced to a series of supposedly awesome vignettes and really has just about zero character depth.

Again, I'm expecting some sort of outcry, seeing as HellSing is one of the anime cornerstones for a lot of people.

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
I gotta Say Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I LOVED the original but I found Brotherhood (Which followed the manga) more convoluted and just plain dopey. And then the fandom ordered my death for heresy.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I'd say Death Note. Anime with a standard cat and mouse structure, which then promptly discards its only remotely fascinating character. Not terrible, just average.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I can't really remember watching any anime with a good reputation that turned out to be bad.

I suppose I should add to the Naruto choir though.
Not that it has a good reputation in these circles, but I swear every time I see someone cosplay it's a character from Naruto.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Richardplex said:
dickywebster said:

I watched 395, and I still don't see how it is anything above the most concentrated piece of genericness still being released. Bleach had interesting characters and wasn't supposed to be a series like it is, so I turn a blind eye to the fact that it hasn't stopped after episode 62. Or that it's still going despite the fact that the story ended. But yeah, naruto. I cry a little inside whenever I acknowledge that it is above obscurity, while far greater anime are not.
How many episodes of naruto are there? :O
Yeah i always wondered about what it was meant to be, as it seemed to me that bleach just keeps changing at at least 2 point, i noticed this more with the anime than the manga though, it just seemed that series one changed towards the end, then there was another shift of sorts around the end of series 3.
Actually part of me always wandered, why in the first series the menos grande apparently need the royal guard/the most powerful people ever, yet in later series and at least one of the films, even seated officers are ripping through them like wet paper.
But i just put that down to bleach shifting to a more epic scale from what it started out as, though the final 2 arcs do confuse me, though i assume the end is ichigo losing his power or something?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
thespyisdead said:

Berserk isn't over, well the anime did but it ended right at one of the biggest climaxes of the story plus the animation was bad. The manga is still going and is a lot better. Also they are putting out 3 movies this coming year covering all the stuff the show did and then starting a ova series covering the rest of the manga. It is looking to be of really high caliber

OT: I have to say bleach I could go on and on about it there is so much wrong with that show its unbelievable yet it has huge popularity

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
HellSing.
Are you talking about the tv series or the OVAs though?

The OVAs (Hellsing ultimate) really are a lot better than the tv series.
In the OVAs Alucard takes on more of an "unstoppable force doing his own thing" role, while the spotlight gives some more space for Seras and the others.
Not to mention they don't include that annoying Dr. Manhattan vampire.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
What's with all the Soul Eater put-downs lately? Eh, whatever.

Anyway, Evangelion, definitely. Incredibly preachy, especially on the last two episodes (and "the budget ran out" is NOT an acceptable excuse in my book, btw), with bull philosophies that are numbed into your brain.

s-CRY-ed, too. First off all, how are you supposed to say the name of the show. And while it's cool that they can use the material around them to make cybernetic gauntlets, it grates me that you can use pretty much anything to use your "alter powers". At least Fullmetal Alchemist explains that you can only make something out of something else with the same composition. Also, the acting was incredibly monotone and repetitive.

And also, Revolutionary Girl Utena. I understand that it's deep. I understand it explores classic fairy tale tropes, gay attraction, corruption, and even incest. Those parts work pretty well. But having to watch Utena ascend to that stage beneath the Rose Castle got REALLY old, and the fights weren't diverse enough for me at the time I watched (which was, admittedly, four years ago). But I think what really put me off was actually the English dub. The English dub for Utena is, in my opinion, one of the WORST anime dubs I've ever listened to first-hand. And I endured 4Kids One Piece up until Crocodile's defeat. (Didn't really get into One Piece, btw, but I'm not saying it's overrated.) I mean, I think Crispin Freeman was like the only one in the cast even close to trying. Even Rachel Lillis (who's alright otherwise) sounded bored.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Elfen Lied. I hear often how f*cked up it is, how does it mess with the head and stuff. Bullsh*t i say.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
dickywebster said:
Richardplex said:
dickywebster said:

Yeah i always wondered about what it was meant to be, as it seemed to me that bleach just keeps changing at at least 2 point, i noticed this more with the anime than the manga though, it just seemed that series one changed towards the end, then there was another shift of sorts around the end of series 3.
Actually part of me always wandered, why in the first series the menos grande apparently need the royal guard/the most powerful people ever, yet in later series and at least one of the films, even seated officers are ripping through them like wet paper.
But i just put that down to bleach shifting to a more epic scale from what it started out as, though the final 2 arcs do confuse me, though i assume the end is ichigo losing his power or something?
220 in the first series, in ship there are 233 and counting. And because Bleach is to consistency what... well, I can't think of something witty, so because consistency sucks. and
Aizen died. Ichigo lost his power. but it still goes on, I understand

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Richardplex said:
dickywebster said:
Richardplex said:
dickywebster said:

220 in the first series, in ship there are 233 and counting. And because Bleach is to consistency what... well, I can't think of something witty, so because consistency sucks. and
Aizen died. Ichigo lost his power. but it still goes on, I understand
Well bleach does have whole filler series, so i gave up expecting it to say the same. never did like the bount filler series too much either.

Oh i know that much of the spoiler, ive seen upto episode 310, but i thought he was losing his power? or has he now lost it? Either way, aizen got like a dozen series (technically), so the new bad guy or guys for the last 2 arches aint going to get as much time, so do you think it will be more than trundling along or just one massive fight send off?
Id love the last episode to be just everyone kicking the living daylights out of each other just for the sight it would be. :3