Name your overrated anime

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Yugeky20 said:
NARUTO!!!!!!!
Naruto is a stupid, way too overpopular manga/anime. HERE'S why:

1.The characters, in both the manga and anime, are terribly drawn. What kind of a half-assed author was it that created it, anyway?
2. Any manga/ anime that has a main character named Sakura is stupid and half-assed, anyway. That is an overused fucking name.
3. The people that wear those retarded headbands? Ohmygod, do they knowhow retarded they look. Waste of money. People that wear them to stores, malls, and school? FAIL.
4. It's really an anime for people that don't know quality anime. Go watch some Deathnote or Ouran High, PLEASE.
5. I actually saw an episode to see how freaking terrible it was; I was very dissapointed that any functioning members of the human race would even sit through an episode of the anime. A little blond son-of-a-***** was running around eating 812972 pounds of food, yelling "BELIEVE IT!" in his little gay orange jumpsuit. What the fuck kind of ninja is that?
6. Which brings up another fact. I know that ninjas don't always dress in black, killing people silently. But, I'll be damned if they run around in bright orange jumpsuits yelling "BELIEVE IT!". What the fuck am I supposed to be believing here anyway? That ninjas are loud, annoying, and dressed in bright orange?....disbelief! =0
1. That's the first artistic criticism, I've ever seen. The art generally has a positive reception more than anything else. Hell, 2ch even voted Kishimoto as the best artist amongst mangaka, and Japan has the smallest Naruto fanbase anywhere.

2. There are alot of Sakura's. But there are also alot of Johns. And Sarah's. And Haruhi's. Names get reused.

3. They wear the headbands because they dig the show. They look way cooler than people who say FAIL like it's 2009.

4. Ouran and Death Note? Serious anime fans haven't talked about that stuff in years. (They're good and all, but geez. Get with the times. It's 2011. Black president. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magic. Bam).

5. He eats a normal amount for a growing boy. The schtick is that he only eats one food. How can he say "believe it", if he's Japanese? He wears orange because the author digs dragon ball.

6. It doesn't matter what he wears. Chapter 1 introduces a technique that transforms the user into anybody else. Boom. There's your stealth. And it's not like they ever need to use stealth. You can't have bombastic battles with amazing powers in secret. That's why it's fantasy.

You really should've stuck with "It's pretty cliched" or "it drags on alot" like everyone else.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Slenn said:
It felt like L-Star had too many characters to shove in, and by the end it didn't feel like anything special, albeit the dance at the end.
I will agree with you there. As much as I liked the show, the last third was lacking something once they introduced the younger girls. They were mostly gag characters, and I think we agree that slice-of-life only works when the characters are relatable.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Death God said:
Three of them: Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. I know that chances are, they will never stop making more but I started from the beginning with all of them and I am ending with all of them.
You know theyre mostly for kids right? Id say one piece is probably the most hyped amongst fans of shonen and bleach is the worst but still theyre shonen and focused for kids.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
All of them really. I found some of the popular anime very entertaining sometimes, but the fans really take it to a whole new level.

I have to say, Naruto receives too much hate even though it has all the cliche's. I reckon Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, Death Note, and most others weren't nearly as entertaining. Elfin Lied is the worst offender, the cast are all so poorly charaterised and bland that it made it painful to watch.

AdeptaSororitas said:
I gotta Say Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I LOVED the original but I found Brotherhood (Which followed the manga) more convoluted and just plain dopey. And then the fandom ordered my death for heresy.
It's not heresy when it's true ;)

Same goes for the new Hunter X Hunter, just poorly executed.

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
Code Geass. The protagonist is an unlikable cockbag. Same reason I don't like Death Note or the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Xpwn3ntial said:
UncleUlty said:
So I'll put up a nice inflammatory response : Madoka Magika.To start I really enjoyed this show but a some things hold. First,Kyubby failure at how energy works,Second the the explanation of Madoka being such a powerful magical is kind of flimsy. Finally,this is where over relatedness comes in, is the fans. I could live with the flaws if the fans would not treat it like the second coming. I get it you liked the show,now please shut up about it,and talk about Penguin-Drum or Hourou Musuko.
Yeah, I can agree with that. The show's actually one of my favorites but nothing deserves that much praise. Shaft treating it like its baby doesn't help. Do not make a sequel/spinoff series, Shaft! Do not do it!

OT: Gurren Lagann. I don't hate it. I don't. Hating it requires I have feelings towards it. It is beneath my attention, but it gets more love than Madoka will ever have.

Question to the general audience: how many people actually like Evangelion? I mean, I like it, but I see nothing but contempt for it from people. How is it overrated? Is it one of those "if so much as one person likes it but I don't" things?
I personally believe that the hatred for Neon genesis Evangelion spurs from the dislike of one character, Shinji Ikari.

Not to say it's isn't a good reason to dislike the show, as Shinji's depressing attitude is enough to put a lot of people off watching it.

Personally, Minus the complete mindfuckery of the movie, and Shinji's emo antics, I enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion. The new movies are really great, and have improved on the story immensely especially in 2.0 You can (not) Advance.

In the movie however...

when Rei fuses with lilith, and destroys every living being on the earth, it gives me the fucking chills, such an epic conclusion, which is miles better than the original ending.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
wootsman said:
Madoka its irrelevant now you realize that right?
Well, I guess so. It has been like two seasons. But I still bet it's gonna be on everyone's "Lists of Most Whatever Anime's" at the end of the year.

MattyintheHatty

Feb 3, 2011
thespyisdead said:
i know this is subjective and all, but what is, in your opinion, an anime that is overrated.

in my opinion, Neon Genesis Evangelion takes the cake (and maybe Berserk in some cases) due to it's slowness, and uninspired ending.
Agreed... Neon Genesis is so overrated and everyone talks about it being the end all be all of ANIME. It was a pain to choke down, and I hated Shinji along side everyone else. Also all the endings sucked as well.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Rosario Vampire good fucking lord why does that anime come up everytime somebody says anything anime related IT SUCKS! At least Naruto has originality, every single "ninja" in Naruto has a different power, I haven't seen Bleach but I'm pretty sure is okay as well, One Piece I've read a little bit and it was funny but Rosario Vampire is not funny the art sucks and the fucking battle are over quicker than a Samurai X battle!

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
GZGoten said:
Rosario Vampire good fucking lord why does that anime come up everytime somebody says anything anime related IT SUCKS! At least Naruto has originality, every single "ninja" in Naruto has a different power, I haven't seen Bleach but I'm pretty sure is okay as well, One Piece I've read a little bit and it was funny but Rosario Vampire is not funny the art sucks and the fucking battle are over quicker than a Samurai X battle!
I agree with you there, Rosario + Vampire has got to be the worst anime I've ever watched.

I do think it has good animation art though, I must admit.

Alchemist08

May 25, 2010
Deathnote, I was pretty ok with it at first, but the moronic amount of fan obsession about it has completely turned me against it. It was a run of the mill show with a few interesting moments and concepts. Get over it you damn fanboys.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
DarkRyter said:
I don't know. I've never really seen anyone with a positive opinion of anything.
Haha, so true. That's the internet for you.

I've loved so many of the shows people have listed here. This is not the thread for me, ta ta folks, have fun with all of your contempt!

Death God said:
Three of them: Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. I know that chances are, they will never stop making more but I started from the beginning with all of them and I am ending with all of them.
I like your attitude. But they will all have to end... eventually. Right?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
The Hero Killer said:
One Piece, I just cant take shows like that seriously. Oh and Soul Eater.
...you do realize that One Piece is primarily a slapstick comedy show, and not designed to be taken seriously, right?

Anyway, I'm on the bandwagon against most of the long-running shonen series mentioned so far (including One Piece, which gets old quickly due to repeated schtick)... and I'd like to add a voice against Serial Experiments Lain. Rarely do I hear it mentioned anymore, but that's usually with praise. Personally, I found pretty much all of the characters whiny and unlikable... and the subject matter exploring human identity to be, well, dry. Strangely lacking a human element.

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
I'll go with Naruto, like many others have.

My personal reason for disliking the show is waiting 30 or more episodes for 1 episode directed by Norio Matsumoto (His style is fluid and goofy at times, and pretty amazing other times.)

For awhile, that was the anime's only saving grace for me. Now days I don't keep up on the anime, and pop in every few months to check on the manga, mainly because I've invested time into reading it. I'm still curious to see how things wrap up (or don't for that matter.)