Name Your Own Price for Crayon Physics Deluxe

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
WrongSprite said:
LiquidGrape said:
People need to learn that for the medium to grow in favour of creative thinking rather than industrial profit; we must pay more for independent titles and less for the commercial releases.
20 dollars seems more than reasonable for this. I don't see any excuse for paying those ridiculously miniscule amounts some people flaunt with.
Either I buy it cheap, or I don't buy at all.

They get more money than they would if I didn't buy it, and they lose nothing since it's digital distribution, not a hard copy.
While the fundamental sentiment might be accurate, I still fail to see the reasoning behind paying $0.01.
Sure, on a purely technical level they don't "lose anything".
But how much do they gain from those who see fit to take advantage of the situation?
More than a generous offer; I think it's a sad indicative of the state of things when small titles are only really considered worthy of ones time and effort if ready for the taking.
If the consumers don't encourage these people, who will?

P.S
That said, whenever there's a big release from Activision...steal that shit, I say.
Robert Kotick doesn't deserve your money.
D.S

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Ok having now tried the demo i find that yes it is innitiative. Can probably keep me "amused" for at least an hour. But besides that, its nothing more then randomness. I certainly can't go crazy over it. I love the fact that you can draw anything you want to get to the star, but even that has its limits. You cant just draw random things in the spaces coz they just fall. Everything must link. I suppose if i was to get it somehow, i would "play" on it for a bit when i have nothing better to do.

Feb 13, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Damn it... Now I can't justify paying a dollar for it. Thanks Root, I'm gonna feel miserable and guilty all day long now.
Kingcallum said:
God I feel bad, I bought it for 50 cent (I think thats how it is in america) I really hate myself now :(
That little bit of evil was for a good reason. If we support this now, other companies may think of taking it up.

That means less money going to the evil corporations.

That means more money going to the actual programmers.

That means better games coming to us.

That means less and less pirates and thus less DRM.

Win - Win - Win.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I am afraid of buying it becuase when I went onto the site, I got the blue screen that says dumping physical memory. :(

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
i have played this game and it is quite epic to say the least especially for a indy game

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
brunothepig said:
I would buy it... Except I don't have a paypal account... And I don't like giving out my credit card stuff. Anyways, this pay anything is lying. I wanna pay nothing lol.
Well i pretty much did, i was going to pay about 1 euro for it but then paypal went and took 99.8 cent off the card so all i had left was 0.02 cent. And thats what i paid.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I wish I had a tablet PC, I'd easily pay 5bux for this. I'm downloading the demo to see if it plays on my laptop right now and I'll report back if it's any good on a touchpad.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
That was really fun and I love the fact that it seemed to react to the fact that I can't draw with a mouse. Very clever.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
xarealpersonx said:
The truth is that I wouldn't pay a cent for something I could find for free as a flash game or something I could download for free from a torrent. (but I won't because that's illegal)
That doesn't make any sense, you can find every game ever made for free as torrent, so either you have never played any game but browser games or the "but I won't [pirate it] because that's illegal" is a lie.

any way if you choose to pay 10 cent its still cheaper than a cup of home made coffee.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
WrongSprite said:
LiquidGrape said:
People need to learn that for the medium to grow in favour of creative thinking rather than industrial profit; we must pay more for independent titles and less for the commercial releases.
20 dollars seems more than reasonable for this. I don't see any excuse for paying those ridiculously miniscule amounts some people flaunt with.
Either I buy it cheap, or I don't buy at all.

They get more money than they would if I didn't buy it, and they lose nothing since it's digital distribution, not a hard copy.
actually they get nothing, as the creators of world of goo wrote on their blog the don't get anything if you pay under 10 cents, paypals "some-weird-reason" charge.

so if you pay 1 cent you get a game, paypal get 1 cent and the creator gets shit.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
I have to admit something: I bought the game for only $1. I feel bad about it, but that's 100 times greater than what many people probably bought it for, so it could be worse.
Ah, the old "Well, others did worse" gambit.

But no, Tom, you only gave one dollar when you knew it was worth more. How much would that one dollar buy you normally? Would you find such a great game at a dollar store? Even in the Gameshop Bargain Bucket, would you find Deluxe Crayon Physics?

When you think of all the sweat that goes into your work, does one dollar seem appropriate?

And the rest of you. For shame. Are you waiting for jobs to be axed just so you can get cheaper games?

(This guilt brought to you today free from someone just getting over a very bad cold ;) )
I already said it's tearing me apart!

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Interesting. Radiohead did the same thing with their latest album, In Rainbows. People could download it off their website for whatever price they chose. I hear most people paid nothing at all... Fortunately they still made a profit off the limited edition discbox.
I bought the limited edition too, so I was spared the dilemma of deciding how much exactly a new Radiohead album was worth to me.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Paid $5 -- a reasonable price for a game I will likely only play a few times.
The demo failed to convince me the full price was worth it, but $5 is the price point I'll try anything for.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I didn't get it in the Steam sale for £8, but I'll put in something like $5.36 to throw off any graphs they try to make.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I've been wanting to try this game, and I it will be a good excuse to use my paypal account for once.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Paid only $1 for it. I feel bad. But $1 was all the money I had left on my credit card...

Will buy a new version for full or near full price when I can afford it.

Although, if it was not for this article, I probably would never even have heard of the game.
And what an awesome game it is!