Naming an RP character

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
I want a strong all Nordic style name, if it helps he is the forth son of a blacksmith hunted at a young age left home and became a sellsword

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
dragsaw said:
I want a strong all Nordic style name, if it helps he is the forth son of a blacksmith hunted at a young age left home and became a sellsword
Hm.....Ivar Dalgaard? Yes, that shall be my vote. Sounds....Manly.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Look up a Nordic name generator online since I had trouble coming up with that sort of names for my Norn character in GW2 (well I end up reusing my old GW1 character but rearranging it to make is sound Nordic like).

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
How 'bout Hrothgeirr, Yngvar, Byulfr, Meginbjörn, or Ulfgar,? All pretty darn manly, all from Old Norse. The first three were translated to Old English in Beowulf, the other two are just sexy Old Norse names.

As far as a Last Name... erm... just pick one and add the suffix "son." Like Bjornson or Sigurtharson or Skaldason or something?

Yes, I dub thee: "Hrothgar Ulfbjornson" Go forth and pillage!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
dragsaw said:
As I ended up finishing Skyrim as Bitchtits the Orc, I'm probably not going to be very helpful to this discussion, but have you considered Sven? Sven's always nice.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Go to www.behindthename.com. Click on the 'Random Renamer' hyperlink on the left under 'Fun Stuff'. Click on all the categories that sound Nordic to you and see what you like. It's how I've named every single character for video games and table tops since I found it.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I always thought Joe Abercrombie had the best Northman names. Curnden Craw. Black Dow. Stranger Come Knocking. Rudd Threetrees. Caul Shivers. Logan Ninefingers. Whirrun of Bligh.

Not that you should steal his specific names mind you, but I like the general "naming theme" he has.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I actually made up a Norse character and name for a pony RP of all things called Johan of Vardniskor (also made up a tribe name called Valkagaad and a woodland village called Miljkahvost). For the first name I just named him after the vocalist of Amon Amarth and it sounds Scandinavian if not particularly epic so it fits. For the second name it was an amalgam of a couple words I put into Google Translate, the first one being guardian into Swedish from which I took the 'Vard' part and the other word...I can't remember but I think I translated something into Swedish again, that or Danish/Norwegian/Finnish or something. Point is, that's something I would recommend, pick a couple or a few key words that would describe or define your character, translate them into a Scandinavian language, take the parts that sound the coolest and then mesh them together to create a name. That way it gives the name a bit of character (hurr durr) and you can explain to other characters what the name means should it come up; I had another one called Hvita Ros of Gartenpyha which in that character's tribe's language translates to 'White Rose of the Sacred Garden'. And while you may well be laughing right now reading this, it shows that you put a little bit of thought into it and shows a bit of culture and lore to the character and their origins. Anyway, just thought I'd offer that up as some food for thought, good luck with your RP. :3

Captcha = horse's mouth

I swear this thing is just fucking with me sometimes. 0_0

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
neat ideas so far at this point im tossing around ideas if he kept his name when he left (his fokes dont like that there son killing things for gold and not taking an honest trade)

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
In case this is for a Nord character in Skyrim. Nords don't have last names, they use titles as you have likely seen in the game.
Just so you know.

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
As I ended up finishing Skyrim as Bitchtits the Orc, I'm probably not going to be very helpful to this discussion, but have you considered Sven? Sven's always nice.[/quote]

I agree sven is a nice choice of name, I also think that "the Adventures of Bitchtits the Orc" would make a great TV show.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Varik the sellsword, or just use this handy, dandy naming generator. [http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=vampnamer]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Warrior of Ice.

A million cookies and hugs to whoever gets the reference.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Terminate421 said:
Ivan Dragunov

Best Nordic/Russian name ever
Erm... Scandanavian languages are part of the North Germanic Language Family. Russian is part of the Eastern Slavic Language Family. They're very different.