Naming an RP character

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
I assume we're talking names for Skyrim? In that case, I totally and uncreatively named my character Thor after having just seen the movie.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Skornjar Blackbear

Wulfbjorn Strong-Steel

Ornskar

Grifnar the Agile

Arnfjorn

Bjornvar

Thadmaer Forge-Hand

Gunmir

Rolfir

Skjarn

That's all I got off the top of my head. We're talking Elder Scrolls, right?

SkullKing84

Feb 10, 2011
Nouw said:
Warrior of Ice.

A million cookies and hugs to whoever gets the reference.
The song or the Digimon?

SonicWaffle said:
Sven's always nice.
Anyways, I always liked Sven, also. Infact 3 of my Skyrim characters are named Sven (Sven the Prisoner, Sven, And Sven Dragun)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Honestly, most RP characters I've made (be they personal avatars or NPCs I've crafted as a DM) started off with only the most basic of premises and a given name. Generally the family name waits until I'm more familiar with the world said character will be living in.
For a Nordic name, most of the suggestions in this thread would be just fine... but might I humbly offer the given name of Jens (pronounced Yenz), as it's slightly unmanly and would put you in a position to craft a "Boy Named Sue" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rleFAS_B04] backstory. The only man I ever met named Jens was a really prickly hardcase thanks to his name.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Hm, I wrote a program a while back that automatically generates Viking names. Here's a sample output:

Agnar Sheetspiner
Sam Armyinlayer
Thorbrand Snowhandler
Valthjof Texturebaker
Ulfar Framemotivater
Slodi Baitpioneerer
Iarund Drugprinter
Orn Cupenterer
Svæin Stewpincher
Vigi Treedeviser
Rodmar Womendoer
Kaetiloy Bombzipper
Paul Afternoonpauser
Bardi Birthdaysoaker
Gudrod Armyexperimenter
Heriolf Drumutilizer
Vestar Gooseenlister
Dan Campqualifyer
Holmstaein Grandmotherrocker
Haeming Passengerdecayer
Erlend Monthblesser
Hunbogi Trampdweller
Starolf Gameexecuter
Thrand Partnerprogramer
Hreida Believeoverflower
Reinn Trickstepper
Alfgeir Magictransporter

Rodmar Womandoer certainly sounds manly. Alternatively I have a very long list of genuine Nordic male first names. I can send it to you if you want and then you can just pick two and put "son" on the end of the second one.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Olaf Svaigård. What, it sounds nice and somewhat Nordic. Or, if Finnish is accepted, you could always call him Vitun Kova Jätkä or something.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
I just use this. [http://www.behindthename.com/random/] for RPs. It's got a lot of different cultures, and you can look up the meaning of each name if you want.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Ymbirtt's list has some good ones for you. Heck, his own name sounds Nordic, and easier to pronounce than most of these ('Eem-beert').

One of Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction series has Uhtred as the main character along with similar names for all the Dane characters. There's a Ragnar, Guthrum, Kjartan, Sven, Rorik, and Ivar.