Naruto is finally over. after all these years...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Naruto ended yesterday. After getting worse and worse, Masashi Kishimoto finally gave it a mercy killing. I've been waiting for this to happen for a long time. The manga just kept making new revelations that clearly weren't planned and were pretty darn ridiculous, the final battle kept on going and going and going while trying way too hard to be supermegaepicawesome.

So yeah, I won't shed any tears about this crap manga finally ending. Good riddance to bad rubbish. It used to be if not good thena t least readable, but lately it's been just plain awful.

What are your feelings? Sad it's over? Glad it's over? If you've read the ending, how'd you like it?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
*Shrug*. People weren't exactly singing its praises, ya know? I just assumed it'd keep being dragged along until it died a fairly ignoble and quiet death one day. I guess that day was today.

Did I leave the kettle on? :/

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Dear god that ending gave me cancer. If it weren't for the news about the MM remake on the 3DS I'd be cringing all day.

If one piece ends up even a quarter as bad as that then I'll probably swear off shonen for forever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Has there ever been a long-running manga series that ended well? *gazes nervously at Berserk*

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
It least ended okay imho. The entire war arc was utter rubbish though, full of nothing but new masterminds every fifty chapters. Serisuoly you can only pull the "No I'm the true master mind!" card so many times. The final two chapters were okay. I will say that I am glad that Naruto and Hina got together I was always rooting for them.

I'm almost sad to see Naruto go though. Its what really what got me into anime and manga as a whole ten years ago. I started watching it when it first aired in English but moved to the manga once it had all those fillers and I never really looked backed. It opened me to Bleach, One Piece and so many more and its been a part of my life for so long now that its strange to think its gone. I mean as a whole I don't really watch anime anymore, preferring the live action Toku superhero genre to it, and I only follow a couple of manga, many of which have ended in the best couple of years (HDSK, Beelebubb, Hitman Reborn for example) and I only have four left with little interest of picking up new titles. So Naruto ending just means that is one more thing gone, a couple of years they'll all be done (well except for Hajime No Ippo and One Piece).

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I'm kinda sad it's over. Not in a way "I wish it had gone on longer" - I mean holy crap, anything but that. But even so, it was what got me into Anime and Manga to begin with around 10 years ago.

As for the epilogue... I'm assuming I don't need to spoiler tag this since people either already know or don't care;

I'm glad it was Hinata that Naruto got with in the end since I was always rooting for them, Hinata being my favourite character and all. Still kinda felt like a cop-out to not even have a moment between them. Kakashi becoming the 6th Hokage was nice too, but we didn't get to see any of it. 699 was "He's the 6th now, yay!" and then 700 was "and now he's retired". Always wondered how Kishimoto was gonna handle both Kakashi and Naruto being viable candidates for Hokage, so to include both of them in the epilogue like that was... eh, I guess the best way of doing it. Still felt a tad strange though.

The last fight with Naruto & Sasuke, and Sasukes sudden 180s felt awkward though - like Kishimoto had decided from the outset that Naruto VS Sasuke would be the final fight, but it would also be a happy ending. He wrote himself into a corner by having them co-operate anyway against Kaguya, so to suddenly make him evil again, then good once the fight was finished - it's far from what I'd call convincing story-telling.

Oh, and I saw a trailer recently for the final Naruto movie. I've only seen a couple of Shippuden movies but I do wanna see that one when it's released since it takes place after the manga ends... if only to see some more of what everyone is up to at that stage.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
At least this ending wasn't the crap fest that was HSDK's ending. I mean, all we got to see there in the final chapter was some of the side characters training and organizing a meeting, the daughter of the two mains, and a glimpse of what one of the main characters looks like from behind. Here at least you got to see everyone and what they were up to now. And the story seems to be pretty wrapped up as well, also unlike HSDK. It's still an incredibly cliche and bad shounen ending, but not rock-bottom.

The only manga that I've been following for 5+ years now that I can still hope to have a good ending is One Piece, but I can't say I'm holding my hopes up. Plus, that manga is still far from finished. :p

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Has there ever been a long-running manga series that ended well? *gazes nervously at Berserk*
For Berserk to have a bad ending it needs to have an ending, and isn't the creator seriously getting on in years?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So Sasuke got off scot free after all despite having murdered a world leader, taken the arm of another world leader and tried to abduct said leaders brother as well as murder innocent guards and join not one but two madman that tried to take over the world? That's a bit weak.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well it's about damn time! I lost interest in Naruto ages ago, so why do I care? Because from what I've heard... It's been gong downhill for years now...

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Hades said:
So Sasuke got off scot free after all despite having murdered a world leader, taken the arm of another world leader and tried to abduct said leaders brother as well as murder innocent guards and join not one but two madman that tried to take over the world? That's a bit weak.
To be fair, the world leader he killed was hated by pretty much everyone and tried to brainwash another world leader into giving him command of an alliance of the worlds military forces. I imagine at the reading of his crimes, they would have gone through all of them and had a little footnote at the end saying "Killed Danzo" in really tiny font.

Anyway, good to see the thing finally get put down. I feel like it was the dog from Of Mice and Men for a couple of people, me included. Just limped on and on with more and more people saying to just put the poor thing down. God knows the fourth war arc was awful.

Still, I am curious to see what the result is on the shipping community. The NaruSaku/NaruHina fights are always amusing and I can imagine that a couple other pairings are going to bring a few angry words. Also, "Bolt"? Seriously? Who the hell calls their kid Bolt? Hell, what kind of Japanese culture are they in where Bolt is an acceptable name? He should have just gone with the cliche "named for a loved one" shtick.

Finally, what happened to Orochimaru? I can understand them letting Sasuke off (barely) but him? Guy was a nut job and I highly doubt the movie is going to cover him since they are bringing in a new villain who was mysteriously absent for the revival of his ancestor and did nothing to help her despite the fact that she left an immortal assistant behind who could have easily tracked him down. Ugh. I'm beginning to consider myself a masochist for putting up with this stuff. Oh well, I've got Kenchi618's fanfics, I'll just get started with the process of head canon changing to accept his stuff as canon and Kishimoto is the fanfic writer.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It could have been a worse ending. Tbh I was ok with what happened to most of the characters but the stuff with Sasuke really did piss me off. Granted I have hated Sasuke since the beginning and thus I dislike it when good things happen to him but the way it ended for him was just weak.

He suffered NO consequences from his actions. A few quick words form Kakashi and Naruto and thats it, all is forgiven. Have him go out Darth Vader style or even better have him go out still as the villain, cursing Naruto with his final breath but no.

Then of cause there was Sakura. Just when you think she could not become any more pathetic she did. But I guess what happened with her can teach women everywhere a good life lesson, no matter how indifferent a guy acts towards you, no matter how many times he shows he dosen't care about you, no matter how mentally and physically abusive he is to you, even if he tries to kill you, if you still love him everything will work out in the end.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Surely this just means that we should await the launch of Naruto Ex Plus Alpha Gaiden in a year or two? Followed by the totally unnecessary alternate-reality reboot in which everyone is a high school student?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
At least its over. Now hopefully something fresh and exciting can take its place.

Jorpho said:
Surely this just means that we should await the launch of Naruto Ex Plus Alpha Gaiden in a year or two? Followed by the totally unnecessary alternate-reality reboot in which everyone is a high school student?
Not quite. The author has what sounds like a new series planned to start serialisation next year.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
I hold the original series close to my heart, mainly due to the fact that it was the first anime I ever watched (Before I realized that DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-gi-oh where technically anime. It was 2005, cut me some slack). I kinda fell off watching it after the original series ended and Shippuden never really captured my interest save for the Cyberconnect2 games (which are amazing).

I'm not exactly sure what to think now that Naruto is over.... although I was surprised to hear so much ragging on it prior to being announced that it was ending (mainly from the TBFP/Zaibatsu).

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Then of cause there was Sakura. Just when you think she could not become any more pathetic she did. But I guess what happened with her can teach women everywhere a good life lesson, no matter how indifferent a guy acts towards you, no matter how many times he shows he dosen't care about you, no matter how mentally and physically abusive he is to you, even if he tries to kill you, if you still love him everything will work out in the end.
Yea that was sincerely disappointing to me, ideally for me it should have ended with Sakura walking up to them both lying there, unable to move. she would take out a knife and plunged it into Sasuke's heart and then fade to black, probably a bit too grim for a shonen series but that's what I would have done. But nope she continued on being as useless as the previous 698 chapters.
Who knows maybe it's just me being bitter that it never got better than in the chuunin exam.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
And then sauske became good again because plot and he had babby with sakura, the end.
Yeah no, fuck that.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
It's like watching a very sick and old grandparent pass away. I'm sad that it's gone and nostolgic for the good times we had, but relieved it's finally out of its misery. The quality definitely took a nosedive in the last ~200 chapters and got exponentially worse in the last year, but the last ~5 chapters were actually really good. At least it ended on a high note, and Naruto and Hinata finally got together.

Now for God's sake let it rest in peace and don't push out a Naruto Shippuden Z: Ninja's IN SPACE!