Naruto is finally over. after all these years...

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Bolt is a nickname because of his necklace. Naruto's son's actual name is Baruto.

OT: Series isn't over yet. There's still Naruto the Movie: The Last; and also apparently there's going to be a side-series named [Naruto]. Dunno what it's about though.
Not so much of a nickname as a pun. Boruto, being the pronunciation of the kana rendering of "Bolt," and coincidentally sounding like Naruto. A subtle way of honoring Neji ("screw"), I guess.

And just to everyone in general, I have no damn clue why it's being rendered as "Salada" when "Sarada" sounds better while still being correct.

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
I heard about this. It was kind of like when someone asks you if you remember that weird kid you used to hang around with in first grade and follows up with "he died last week". The only reaction you can have is a raised eyebrow and a sympathetic grunt.

If this doesn't result in a spin-off in a few years about Naruto and company's kids or something, I'll be shocked.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
btw they announced follow up ?short-term serialization? Manga starting from Spring 2015. It will focus on next gen. I'm not kidding.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
I like how everyone hates on the state Sakura is in when in actuality it makes sense. War is gone. Sure Sasuke is still on his walk about and there are still Kages but it would appear that war between the great nations is just gone and done forever. I mean Temari and Shikamaru got married and Karui and Choji got married. Ninjas from two different villages hooking up I'm sure was unheard of before. There is nothing to fight anymore and it shows. Instead of building more advanced weapons or whatever we see they are focusing on advancing their society as a whole.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
So what happened to team Hebi? What happened to Ororchimaru and Kabuto? are they just dismissing the several times they hinted that Sakura was falling for Naruto? Speaking of Sakura, I spend the entirety of this series defending her as someone who has importance in the series and is probably one of the most developed and they throw all that away within two chapters.

Noyourjoanzy

Dec 7, 2010
So did Naruto and Sasuke just make-out at the end and that's now Sasuke became a good guy again?
because I always felt the show was rater disingenuous for not having that earlier.
I don't even mean that in a directory way, I just kinda figured it would happen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Was the translation correct? From Naruto wiki, Bolt was "Boruto" (yes it's not an improvement) and Salad was Sarada (better)

Honestly for the ending, I was more interested with the shipping-
Naruto X Hinata- YES!!!!! That shipping prevail!
Sakura X Sasuke- Typical, at least they got a daughter since the cliche would of been a boy and be the rival to the main character son.
Shikamaru X Temari- Not suprised althought it wouldn't had suprised me if he had went with Ino.
Choji and Kurai- I was totally NOT expecting that shipping (let the fanart commence with that shipping!)
Ino X Sai- Not as suprised as above since didn't Ino thought Sai was hot in the manga/ anime.
Kabi X ???- To be fair, they did ran out of female characters other than Tenten.

As for the rest of the characters-
Shino- what up with the visor???
Anko- did she gain weight?
Yamanto- What the hell happened to him?
Kakashi- Why did he became hokage? Tusande retired after the war?

While I get they couldn't cover every single characters but I would like the know what happened to Orichimaru, Kabuto and the rest of team Hawk and oh did that guy ever recuse those two character trap in the gorge bottle thing?

Also did the rock faces seen smaller and space out from each other far too much or did they reformate it to fit the other two faces in? Speaking of faces, dammit! We will NEVER get to see Kakashi unveil face other than that fanart!!

One last thing, did Naruto and Sasuke regrown their blown off arms from that epic punch aka brofist? In saying so it look like they invented computer now regrowing cell must be not so far off or is it cybernetic limbs?

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Noyourjoanzy said:
So did Naruto and Sasuke just make-out at the end and that's now Sasuke became a good guy again?
because I always felt the show was rater disingenuous for not having that earlier.
I don't even mean that in a directory way, I just kinda figured it would happen.
To put it bluntly, Sasuke wanted to pull a Lelouch (destroying the current power structure and nations while simultaneously making everyone hate him so that he would become the boogeyman everyone would unite against and then disappear), but he didn't expect that Naruto would take lessons from YuGiOh Abridged Téa and use the power of the FRIENDSHIP-SPEECH to beat him into submission.

Scarim Coral said:
Was the translation correct? From Naruto wiki, Bolt was "Boruto" (yes it's not an improvement) and Salad was Sarada (better)
There are two translations circulating at the moment. The one where Sakura's kid is called Salad is (surprisingly) the better one. The other manages to mistranslate the name of Hinata's daughter (Himawari) and a bunch of other such details.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Was the translation correct? From Naruto wiki, Bolt was "Boruto" (yes it's not an improvement)
If it was in Katakana for the name, which it most likely was, then yes the translation for Bolt is unfortunately correct. So dumb name is indeed dumb. XD
As for Kakashi, if I remember correctly there was a time in which he was temporarily Hokage before the war. I believe it was when Tsunade was in a coma for a while. So probably after the war, Tsunade retired, Kakashi became permanent, and then in this new generation he retired and Naruto is filling the position as Hokage now.

Oh, and yes Anko gained lots of weight. :3

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
And they explain why Sasuke was pardoned. Because without his help, the world would have been destroyed due to the Infintie Tsukuyomi. He literally saved the world. And even then Kakashi said that still wasn't enough and the only reason they hadn't locked him away forever is because Kakashi and Naruto vouched that he wouldn't go crazy and go on another murder spree. Since Naruto and Kakashi are also people who saved the world, their word carried quite a bit of weight.
But since the world was in peril, all that means is that he saved his own life. That's hardly heroic.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Oh. My. God.

Well to be honest, the damage was FAR beyond repair already, so I expected no miracles here. And honestly, it was nice seeing Sasuke come around, even just for him to realize what a colossal a-hole he had been and finally stopping being such an emo. Plus the monologue kinda reminded me of the beginning of Naruto where it still had focus, so it was nice to realize that the lonely kid from the beginning of the series had finally managed to befriend the boy he wanted to help so much. It was warm and mushy enough.

As for the final chapter... I honestly didn't expect it to end any other way and was overall satisfied. But it's funny how little impact these revelations after the timeskip have, since Naruto and Sasuke trying to be all BFF has been the strongest character interaction in the entire series. I mean I REALLY like NaruHina, but there was NO chemistry between the two. Well, there was, but it was all one-sided. It's neat that they're in a relationship now, but how happy could I be about that, when I don't know what that relationship is worth? Doesn't joy usually come from accomplishing something, overcoming obstacles? I could not see this relationship begin and develop, so how could I be joyful about it succeeding?

Most of the other pairings were either predictable and equally plain or bizarre. I mean what's up with Choji? She marries a minor character instead of, I don't know, Ino who's the girl he's had the closest relationship with?

Also, I've seen people complaining about Gai. As far as I can see, he might have his leg busted, so the wheelchair might just be temporary. And I got no problem seeing Oonoki still kicking, I mean the guy fought Madara just a decade ago!

And then there's Sakura... Oh boy...

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. One of the three main characters, a student of the Sannin Tsunade, user of the Strength of a Hundred Seal, ends the series by... cleaning the house. SERIOUSLY?! COME ON! And to top it all off she also goes through the obvious but borderline psychotic romance with Sasuke and gives birth to his child. Who, according to my calculations, must've been conceived before Sasuke left the village at the end, so I'm sure their relationship got like SUPER DEEP during that time. It better had, since before that Sasuke's main interactions with Sakura had been either a) Telling her to flock off or B) Kicking the crap out of her.

I mean we're talking about a character who DID THIS! [http://youtu.be/aBi-5VL7lSg?t=1h22m58s] And her journey's end is becoming a housewife? Come on...

Also, Sasuke "I'm too busy with my spiritual journey to be eternally alone and cool to be with my wife and daughter" Uchiha will now officially receive an award for my #1 hated anime character of all time.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
... I have half a mind to repost an old comment of mine from a thread about series with wasted potential, since I feel it so perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with this series in general, and this ending in particular.

What the fuck is this shit? I'm sorry, but "And they all lived happily ever after", while not something I'm inherently opposed against, is such a fucking slap to the balls after all the bullshit that the characters (Sasuke especially) have put each other through.

I genuinly feel like Naruto and Sasuke dying impaled on each others daggers, in a macabre "embrace of death", would have been more fitting than this shit.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I've never read the manga but the anime has so much filler it kills the anime as a whole for me.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I posted this on Anime News Network in response to the news that the series was going to have some short story spin-offs next year about the new generation (spoiler-tagged to save space):

"I do not mind spin-offs. Those are completely fine. But so help me, if he does do an actual sequel I will freaking LOSE IT. The series is DONE, it has finally limped to the finish line after nearly ten years of audiences collectively wondering what the heck Kishimoto was smoking when some of the most bizarre and contrived plot points kept cropping up and if the guy knew what actual planning was.

Looking back on the series, all I can really say it there was potential. And that made it frustrating because he picked the least interesting way to do things or just the plain bad way. I knew there was an interesting story in there, but he just kept making it stupider and stupider; making it more complicated, but not any more resonant or interesting. If anything a lot of those twists he put in just made things worse as they kept opening up TONS of plot holes and inconsistencies.

Anyway, the series is done now. I stopped being mad at it years ago and just became apathetic. And that's why I'm so disappointed in this; I WANTED to keep liking this series. And Kishimoto just kept screwing it up. With this ending, I'm not sure WHAT SJ is going to do for another big hit. Though with pretty much all their series post-DBZ days going downhill in one way or another I think there are some issues they need to work out."

Admittedly, the final chapter was decent...except for Sasuke who suffers NO real consequences for his actions and is implied to still be a dick even in the epilogue. Seriously, that is not how things logically work. If anything, he should have been exiled if he still lived. That's a way to have him still live, but also face up to his actions.

The thing I liked the most was admittedly something kinda shallow: I am glad that Naruto and Hinata got together and had a happy ending. She deserved it; Hinata's one of my favorite female characters in anime (and in fact a better pick for a heroine than the one we got) despite the series she was in and it's nice that she finally got rewarded for her devotion in Naruto (as well as getting her own damn movie explaining HOW the two definitively fell for each other). Plus if her daughter was any cuter she'd cause diabetes just by looking at her.

I do not regret reading around the first half of Naruto. The pre-timeskip stuff was good; it was entertaining, had creative fights, characters going through actual arcs, and imposing, impressive villains. It was around when Itachi died and Kishimoto tried to pass him off as sympathetic that I dropped the series. Y'know, Itachi. The guy who mindfucked his little brother so hard (TWICE) that Sasuke now has a mushroom bruise on his brain (though funnily Itachi's American VA, Crispin My God I Have a Sexy Voice Freeman, guessed that twist within minutes of viewing Itachi. Probably a lucky guess on his part). After that things just kept getting weirder and more complicated, but ultimately more boring. There's a good story IN the series, but the finished product needed to have its entire second half rewritten. At this point, I'm seriously considering coming out of retirement with writing fanfiction and doing just that (it was a stalled project a friend and I thought up. Though this would also mean basically every character introduced after Itachi's death would be axed from existence.) Anyway, it's very weird to see something that has lasted half my life end and, at the end of the day, all I can think about is this: wasted potential.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Naruto ended up with Hinata. That's all I care about. I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get to see an actual picture of them together, but it was painfully obvious that they ended up together.

That movie better have them kissing at the end of it, or I'm not going to be happy!

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Scarim Coral said:

Honestly for the ending, I was more interested with the shipping-
Naruto X Hinata- YES!!!!! That shipping prevail!
Sakura X Sasuke- Typical, at least they got a daughter since the cliche would of been a boy and be the rival to the main character son.
Shikamaru X Temari- Not suprised althought it wouldn't had suprised me if he had went with Ino.
Choji and Kurai- I was totally NOT expecting that shipping (let the fanart commence with that shipping!)
Ino X Sai- Not as suprised as above since didn't Ino thought Sai was hot in the manga/ anime.
Kabi X ???- To be fair, they did ran out of female characters other than Tenten.

As for the rest of the characters-
Shino- what up with the visor???
Anko- did she gain weight?
Yamanto- What the hell happened to him?
Kakashi- Why did he became hokage? Tusande retired after the war?

While I get they couldn't cover every single characters but I would like the know what happened to Orichimaru, Kabuto and the rest of team Hawk and oh did that guy ever recuse those two character trap in the gorge bottle thing?

Also did the rock faces seen smaller and space out from each other far too much or did they reformate it to fit the other two faces in? Speaking of faces, dammit! We will NEVER get to see Kakashi unveil face other than that fanart!!

One last thing, did Naruto and Sasuke regrown their blown off arms from that epic punch aka brofist? In saying so it look like they invented computer now regrowing cell must be not so far off or is it cybernetic limbs?
The Anko theory is dark as hell, and the most realistic.

Basically, she kept her body in top shape to hunt down and finish Orochimaru and his various lackeys. Now she just recovered from being beaten unconscious, having her chakra drained to power an undead army, and of course the tortures inflicted on her by Orochimaru when she was a kid. Now Orochimaru gets off scot-free.

Basically she got hyper-depressed and resorted to her favorite pastime (eating sweet dumplings with red bean soup) as a comforting mechanism. IT'S FUCKING DEPRESSING.

Shino and the Visor: The bugs eventually consume the flesh around the outside of their facial holes. Hence the need for ever more concealing gear. Same thing with Shino's dad.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Auron225 said:
I'm kinda sad it's over. Not in a way "I wish it had gone on longer" - I mean holy crap, anything but that. But even so, it was what got me into Anime and Manga to begin with around 10 years ago.

As for the epilogue... I'm assuming I don't need to spoiler tag this since people either already know or don't care;

I'm glad it was Hinata that Naruto got with in the end since I was always rooting for them, Hinata being my favourite character and all. Still kinda felt like a cop-out to not even have a moment between them. Kakashi becoming the 6th Hokage was nice too, but we didn't get to see any of it. 699 was "He's the 6th now, yay!" and then 700 was "and now he's retired". Always wondered how Kishimoto was gonna handle both Kakashi and Naruto being viable candidates for Hokage, so to include both of them in the epilogue like that was... eh, I guess the best way of doing it. Still felt a tad strange though.

The last fight with Naruto & Sasuke, and Sasukes sudden 180s felt awkward though - like Kishimoto had decided from the outset that Naruto VS Sasuke would be the final fight, but it would also be a happy ending. He wrote himself into a corner by having them co-operate anyway against Kaguya, so to suddenly make him evil again, then good once the fight was finished - it's far from what I'd call convincing story-telling.

Oh, and I saw a trailer recently for the final Naruto movie. I've only seen a couple of Shippuden movies but I do wanna see that one when it's released since it takes place after the manga ends... if only to see some more of what everyone is up to at that stage.

I think the publisher of Shuisha Publishing made Kisimoto keep the relationship of Naruto and Hinata out of the final chapter so that that fans would have to see the upcoming movie in order see anything between Naruto and Hinata considering the movie is mainly about Naruto and Hinata.. as well as the secondary obligatory out of nowhere world ending plot that feels stupid giving that it follows the world ending arc that just ended.. i'll still see the movie in a few years when it gets dubbed though

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Overall the last chapter seems like a big fanservice chapter that makes sure readers have to see the upcoming film in order to make heads or tails of the relationships.. But even so Ino with Sai?.. why?. he only said she was beautiful once after learning the hard way that being honest about how he felt about a girl would lead him to getting punched (like when he called Sakura ugly and got flattened).. I guess I could expect Shikamaru with Temari even though they never showed any interest in each other.

Choji with that chick from the Hidden Cloud village? did they ever interact at all?

Kiba with some random girl named Tamaki that had a huge crush on Sasuke? ( i had to look her up as I've never seen her before) I .. I really don't get it their pairing at all.

Sakura and Sasuke? I think Sasuke should have been imprisoned for life. I can only image her talking it her daughter. "This one time i tried to kill your father before we were together ad he almost killed me, but failed because of Captain Yamato.. and this other time I tried to kill him and this time Kakashi save me... and that same day I tried to kill him again and your father grabbed me by my neck and tried to kill me again and this time your Uncle Naruto saved me" "Your father and I have tried to kill teach a lot.. almost as much as your father tried to kill your uncle Naruto.. some day you'll try to kill Boruto over and over again before eventually falling in love with him too"

and what about Rock Lee or Tenten?

Lee was shown training with a kid who might or might not be his son while Tenten was only shown as the owner of a weapons shop that get barely any business

Basically a slap-dashed, quick ending to the manga with only minor resolve to a little of the series.. I bet the majority of what happens will be shown in the final movie instead..

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
That thing is over? I stopped watching it after all the dead guys were resurrected because it turned into numerous set pieces of:

Minor Character A fights Undead Character A. Minor Character A wins.
Minor Character B fights Undead Character B. Minor Character B wins.
Minor Character C fights Undead Character C. Minor Character C wins.

Its also a reason I quit watching Bleach.

rutger5000 said:
At least it ended. Look at Bleach, things could have been worse.
What happened in Bleach?

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Jim Trailerpark said:
I gave up on Naruto a looooooooooooong time ago, so I wouldn't feel bad if someone spoiled the ending for me because it
s extremely unlikely that I'd ever get around to read it
I gave up on Naruto before the episode count reached double digits, when I realized that, yes, this was our protagonist.