NASA Announces Bake Sale Fundraiser

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
These are the guys that landed people on the moon?

Bake sales? This is what the organization most associated with cutting edge science and technology has been reduced to? Girl scouts?

But then again...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3up4hCjSG1qankvno1_500.jpg

I hear they can be pretty effective.

Seluko

Jul 27, 2010
I live within walking distance of the Lunar Planetary Institute (LPI), so I will have to make sure to go down there during the bake sale!

On a more serious note: It really is saddening that the government cares so little for NASA. What they could do with 1% of the defense budget would be staggering... and 25% of the defense budget I can't even conceive.

But no, here in 'merica the only thing we want to do is kill browns with overpriced and usually broken equipment from companies where the owner just so happens to be a Senator's brother/ family member.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
albino boo said:
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration?
DOD spending 680 billion for 2011 (2012 is expected to be about 705-710 billion)

NASA's highest budget
1965 33.5 billion
it was aproxmitly 17billion before cuts(less then 1% of the budget

Estimated cost of original healthcare bill
approx 94billion per year

NASA's budget cuts don't amount to a hill of beans

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
This is ridiculous. The fraction of the budget required to avoid forcing NASA to do this is so incredibly minuscule that I cannot fathom the justification.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its less of a "we need money" and more like "hey look we have to resort to such things because government sucks" type of thing. I think they are doing this not for the money but for the message it sends.

P.S. capcha tells me to choose gender, WHAT THE HELL? What happened to privacy?

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
People saying to increase taxes on the rich?
Oh, you guys.

Shitty as it sounds, from a practical point of view, you want to lower taxes on the rich.
You forget the rich have much more mobility than others, and if a country starts asking for what they feel is too much of their money, they'll just leave.
Meaning that, despite having a higher rate, you make back even less in taxes because there is less people paying it.
Conversely, lower tax rates are more likely to attract people, increasing the amount of people paying said rates for you.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
You wanna see something fun?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Overview

If you were to cut the Department of Defense's budget by 1/3 and increase the budgets of all of the other departments by $5 billion, the difference in total budgets would be a savings of almost $100 billion. In this I removed the Overseas Contingencies Operations, since it was just money that should have really been a part of Defense and State/International Programs. Sure the budget would still be over $1 trillion, but hey I haven't seen any other reasonable plans that reduce our spending by $100B while increasing the budgets of all other departments by at least $5B, have you?

And even with a 1/3 cut to Defense, $400B is by no means a small budget. It would still be about doubled second place, right?

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
You know, we JUST might get lucky and the people doing the car wash are those hot internists we see all the time....

Andy Chalk said:
Speedo-clad physicists and engineers will playfully wash cars all day long
Oh God...brain bleach...NOW!!!!

*fetal position*

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
DaHero said:
templar1138a said:
...we're stuck on this rock. We're all going to die.
And yet, nothing has changed, we were all going to die on this rock anyways.
My point is that with this turn of events, it's never going to change. No moon colony. No warp drive. No hot alien women who are surprisingly resemblant to human women. It all makes me so sad.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Cpu46 said:
Isn't that the same dude who told John Steward the Earth in his opening sequence was going the wrong way? Cause he was pretty hilarious.

NASA does need A LOT more funding. So many technological advancements have been made through NASA. Everything from Memory Foam to Wireless Power Tools. These guys should be funded more for technological advancements than people who just build more and more nukes / missiles that are just going to sit around forever anyways.

I can see them discontinuing launching Space Shuttles, at least for exploration purposes, simply because the communication problems that arise when you start to venture out further and further from the Moon need to be solved first but without NASA Space Shuttles, the International Space Station will run out of supplies. The Russian Shuttles can't send supplies, their mainly for personnel.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
DaHero said:
You know, we JUST might get lucky and the people doing the car wash are those hot internists we see all the time....

Andy Chalk said:
Speedo-clad physicists and engineers will playfully wash cars all day long
Oh God...brain bleach...NOW!!!!

*fetal position*

"Go'wan boy git nice and deep up in there and clean the mud out, dat's right boy put yer lat's inter' it."

(guy on the right looks like Gordan Freeman's brother........ok they ALL look like his brother)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
This is just... Desperate. An institution famous for putting men on the moon is reduced to doing bake sales to get some revenue... Sigh, oh how the mighty have fallen.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
guidance said:
Richardplex said:
Come on guys, stop telling America to cut its military budget. It isn't that high...

(the 2011 one is basically the same, I just can't find it because I'm terrible at googling).
Wait, Canada spends more on it's military than Israel? Aren't they in constant war?
Wait, France spends more on it's military than every country below them? I thought they were a bunch of snail-eating babies!

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Richardplex said:
Come on guys, stop telling America to cut its military budget. It isn't that high...

(the 2011 one is basically the same, I just can't find it because I'm terrible at googling).
Jesus every year our government spends almost 1 trillion dollars on defense... Jesus Christ I know where budget cuts need to take place.

SOCIAL PROGRAMS. We need our military to keep us safe from the bad people. You don't want the terrorists to win do you? I thought not.