NASA discovery on Mars "For the history books"

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
spartandude said:
grey_space said:
Everyone's missing odd socks.
thats..... well its about time i found them!
It's the only thing that makes logical sense!

On a slightly more serious note I read a sci-fi short story way back about how a probe found proof of the existence of bacteria/protobacteria on the red planet, so Earth sent an astronaut off to Mars to verify the probes findings. The Guy discovers the the presence of bacterial organisms allright but they seem to be radiating out from a central location.

He hoofs it to the area, only to find a crashed earth probe from decades before being the source of the life signs.

Don't know why that popped into my head just now but if it's not socks or elves, its that.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I'm guessing they found metatron, the high energy yielding material used to power orbital frames. Now we can build Aumann, and usher in a whole new military arms race.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
JoJo said:
Tentatively... perhaps chemicals which are usually associated with life? Perhaps a bit hopeful here but who knows, it could happen. One for the history books is a pretty big statement, though it could just be that, a statement.
probably this, it's going to be related to life in some way, maybe evidence of water?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
A crisp packet. They get everywhere

(Chip packet for those living in the New World)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The WMDs that bush warned us about.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
I would bet someone associated with life. Methane, CO[sub]2[/sub], something. Not something that HAS to come from life but usually does.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Maybe microscopic fossils? I have no idea if that those could be preserved in Mars soil but that's gonna be my guess. That or bacteria.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
To all the people saying 'water', I'm about 90% certain we've already discovered water (at least, water ice) on Mars. From memory, they accidentally landed a rover on a small patch of ice.

I'm going to go with some kind of complex hydrocarbon.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
viranimus said:
Most likely microbial fossilized life.

NASA has this nasty tendency to overhype its discoveries to try to generate interest and funding.

Molyneaux effect?
While that's true to a certain extent, it is sort of exciting. Depends on how interested you are in that sort of thing really I guess. To the general public, pretty boring, to the scientific community and space nuts, pretty cool.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
A new colour. Oh no, not just a different shade of an already existing colour. A brand new one. Imagine what it would look like. Neither can I. Can't wait to see.

In all seriousness I am looking forward to seeing what they found.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
viranimus said:
Most likely microbial fossilized life.

NASA has this nasty tendency to overhype its discoveries to try to generate interest and funding.

Molyneaux effect?
As far as present space exploration is concerned, finding microbial fossilized life on Mars would be like if Fable turned out to be the greatest game ever made and was packaged with free blowjobs.

But it's probably the water thing.

Or the original Michael Jackson, tied up, gagged, and blindfolded.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A HUMAN SKULL.

Ok not really. Maybe something to do with aquatic life from when Mars had water all over. Like sedimentary rock with little bits of fossil in it. I have no idea. WHAT WAS IT NASA?!