NASA Observes Black Hole Shredding Star

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I have to note that the picture in the article is from a simulation. See the whole video here:

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Is it bad that the first thing I thought when I read "Black Hole Shredding Star" was "Damn, that would make a badass screensaver?"

Also, I am not going to be the one to call out The Plunk on his obvious attempt to start an argument, someone else do it.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
"It all happened a long time ago."

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll - that is only a matter of perspective, really.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
Is it bad that the first thing I thought when I read "Black Hole Shredding Star" was "Damn, that would make a badass screensaver?"

Also, I am not going to be the one to call out The Plunk on his obvious attempt to start an argument, someone else do it.
I believe he is being satirical. At least, I hope he is.

OT: This is brilliant news for science. Its amazing what you can see with a big enough telescope.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Wow, that's awesome. Give those astronomers a gold star.
I think the black hole already ate that one, unfortunately. This was just desert.

..And obligatory: "That is disturbingly awesome". Nothing else, because everyone else already took all the good puns. Uranus'.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
IF I ever would put kids on this planet, I would tell them that if they aren't nice, the black hole will get them.. THAT would scare the shit out of them!!!

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
Did you... no... you can't be that dumb... to think... to even consider thinking that...

DEAR GOD, THIS GUY THINKS WOODROW WILSON WAS A GOOD PRESIDENT. ABANDON WEBSITE, EVERYBODY. COME ON, OUT, OUT OUT. INTELLECTUALS AND HISTORIANS FIRST, LET'S GET OUT.
But..but... gets elected because of the surprise Teddy Roosevelt attack into the election. His presidency was a by-product of crazy Taft and Roosevelt antics.

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?

Also, "Birth of a Nation".

OT: It's a bit of a shame all we were able to really see is a flare up.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Khravv said:
Surely I can't be the only one who read "black hole shredding star" as meaning a star with the quality of black hole shredding. But that would be the opposite I guess.
The opposite, but a freaking awesome concept.
That'd be a Neutron Star, well a few are capable of that, given there are several types of neutron stars which are essentially like black holes, except you see them, and they focus most of their "Instant Death to anything nearby" outward, instead of directly sucking stuff towards itself.

Look up Starquakes, thats like earthquakes, except given how dense and massive a Neutron Star, especially magnetars and pulsars are, yeah, its like a couple billion times worse. Oh and they in odd intervals release massive bursts of gamma radiation..which kills stuff within a few lightyears of the star on which it occured.

So yeah, there are..literally death stars, except they dont have a giant laser and a exhaust port to fire at to make it stop.

Anyways, pretty awesome stuff, to see it in action anyway, given thats been rather known fact that black holes eat stars ;P

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
>.< and no one recorded it?!

damn it ... that'd been cool to watch
Exactly what I was thinking, fuck the computer simulation, I'd have loved to see the real thing :(

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Is it mandatory for all Escapist news-editors to include atleast one pun per article? Are you faced with punitive damages if you don't?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Space stuff is always fascinating to read about even if I don't completely understand everything. This was pretty cool stuff.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Black hole: OM NOM NOM NOM

Wonder how many calories are in a star.

Also black holes suck, it was a pretty star. Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder OMG WHERE'D IT GO?!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
Good article... wait...

A lot of good things come out of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore... President Woodrow Wilson...
Wait, did I read that right?

Did you... no... you can't be that dumb... to think... to even consider thinking that...

DEAR GOD, THIS GUY THINKS WOODROW WILSON WAS A GOOD PRESIDENT. ABANDON WEBSITE, EVERYBODY. COME ON, OUT, OUT OUT. INTELLECTUALS AND HISTORIANS FIRST, LET'S GET OUT.
lol, I thought the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that he must have meant a good president for Princeton, not a good president for the United States.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A-D. said:
That'd be a Neutron Star, well a few are capable of that, given there are several types of neutron stars which are essentially like black holes, except you see them, and they focus most of their "Instant Death to anything nearby" outward, instead of directly sucking stuff towards itself.

Look up Starquakes, thats like earthquakes, except given how dense and massive a Neutron Star, especially magnetars and pulsars are, yeah, its like a couple billion times worse. Oh and they in odd intervals release massive bursts of gamma radiation..which kills stuff within a few lightyears of the star on which it occured.

So yeah, there are..literally death stars, except they dont have a giant laser and a exhaust port to fire at to make it stop.
That is SO COOL. I never actually knew that was a thing. Well, I know Neutron Stars, but I didn't know they actually were capable of this in some instances.

Off to do some research now. I do sort of geek out at space.