Nathan Fillion Doesn't Blame Director for Uncharted Casting Decisions

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nathan Fillion Doesn't Blame Director for Uncharted Casting Decisions

Nerds and geeks love him, but Nathan Fillion knows he isn't quite the star he needs to be to pull off a big action movie.

Firefly and Castle star Nathan Fillion really wanted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104268-Nathan-Fillion-Wants-to-Be-Nathan-Drake] the part of Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie. What's more, it's a part his fans really wanted him to get. Alas, it was not to be, as the part went to Mark Wahlberg instead, but Fillion says that he isn't angry or upset about director David O. Russell's casting decisions.

Speaking on the Nerdist podcast [http://www.nerdist.com/2011/02/nerdist-podcast-65-nathan-fillion/], Fillion said that Indiana Jones was one of his all-time heroes, so getting a role like Nathan Drake would have been a dream come true. Nevertheless, he didn't begrudge Russell casting someone who is not only a very talented actor, but also someone he had worked with before. Fillion made the point that Wahlberg was a "major, huge, international star," something that Fillion , unfortunately, wasn't. He added that he couldn't fault anyone for their choices and said that when a director was making a movie, he or she should make it with the actors he or she wanted.

Fillion seems to have the right idea about the situation, namely, not getting too worked up about a part he was unlikely to get anyway. While Fillion would have been brilliant as Drake, Uncharted is going to be a summer blockbuster-style movie, and Fillion is well aware that he doesn't have the same box office clout as Wahlberg. It's certainly a shame, but it's not really worth getting really upset about.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/01/nathan-fillion-defends-wahlberg-casting-decision/]

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I am SO UPSET! glad that Nathan can be so easy going about this sort of thing. I still feel like it's a missed opportunity to make the single greatest nerdy video game movie ever made. :)

Feb 13, 2008
Methinks Penny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/7983-Critical-Miss-26] will find lots to get upset about. Or maybe that's just what he was told to say [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8674-Critical-Miss-God-Emperor-of-Steam-Epilogue].

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
It's not worth getting upset about no, but it's still baffling.

Less so the fact that they didn't pick Fillion (who I'd still maintain could pull it off.), and more the fact that they picked Wahlberg of all people, who doesn't seem to have any kind of light hearted charm at all.

All he can do is a Fugee face.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
but it's not really worth getting really upset about.
IMO (Not that anyone cares):
Yes it is. A beloved game series movie adaptation would be a far superior movie with someone who fits the role and not just someone who is popular. Yes Mark Wahlberg is a fine actor and plays to the best of his abilities, but his acting style (which isn't that diverse) doesn't suit Nathan Drakes character in the slightest.

Uncharted was fun because of Nathan Drake. The character made the game for me. I can't see Mark pulling this off. I will not pay money to see it for this reason.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
It would've been better to see Fillion as Nathan Drake than Wahlberg, cos at least Fillion looks a little bit like Drake and has a range of emotions.

What still baffles me is why they didn't use Nolan North.
He's the voice, model and mocap for Nathan Drake, so it would've made more sense.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Sorr, I don't buy the "I'm not famous enough" argument. So what? If he can do the part, and he is a good fit for the part, why shouldn't he get it?
"Because it won't sell enough"? oh, Im sorry, I thought we made movies because we wanted them to be good and explore new concepts, to entertain and give an enjoyable experience. But I see I am just living in my own dreamworld again, and this is yet another "milk the stupid"-cashcow from Hollywood. Gah.

Note: I have no idea who either actors are, I just don't find the argument valid, except from the POV of a soul-less CEO that is only in it for the money.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Anyone else think nathan fillion is pretty much a perfect look-alike of Nathan Drake....

OT: Seriously Mark Wahlberg while a big star does NOT suit this role whatsoever

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I would have gone to see this film if Fillion had been cast, now its just something I may check out at a later date.

If it pans out like other videogame films then it will probably bomb... maybe its a good thing Fillion didn't have his name tarnished on this one?

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Fillion would have been great, but the guy that played Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) in Stargate Atlantis would have been even better. Look at the pic, this guy is Drake.

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/2377.gif

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
I think Wahlberg is a terrible choice fro Drake, Fillon is a better choice, not a MUCH better choice but better nonetheless. Kinda like Eric Bana and Ed Norton as Bruce Banner. I don't like either of them in the role but Ed Norton was the lesser of 2 evils.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Gotta give Fillion some cred for being humble. I still want him to play Drake though, but his way of handling this cannot give him anything but good publicity.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Because everybody knows Wahlberg is a guarantee of success. Just look at his spectacular track record. Between Max Payne, The Happening and Planet of the Apes this man is proven box office dynamite.

HansGruber

Nov 21, 2009
He would have been perfect 10 years ago. He's just a little to old now (1971, same as Mark Wahlberg)

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
As much as I like Nathan Filion I'd of been happy had almost anyone had been cast instead of Marky Mark Wahlberg, the guy is a horrible actor, I haven't enjoyed a single one of his movies, and frankly watching him butcher Max Payne was enough for me.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Jewrean said:
Logan Westbrook said:
but it's not really worth getting really upset about.
IMO (Not that anyone cares):
Yes it is. A beloved game series movie adaptation would be a far superior movie with someone who fits the role and not just someone who is popular. Yes Mark Wahlberg is a fine actor and plays to the best of his abilities, but his acting style (which isn't that diverse) doesn't suit Nathan Drakes character in the slightest.

Uncharted was fun because of Nathan Drake. The character made the game for me. I can't see Mark pulling this off. I will not pay money to see it for this reason.
It might sound like splitting hairs, but Wahlberg being cast is a different issue than Fillion not being cast. I'm not entirely convinced that Wahlberg is the right choice either, but I can see why he was picked over Fillion.

HansGruber

Nov 21, 2009
tkioz said:
As much as I like Nathan Filion I'd of been happy had almost anyone had been cast instead of Marky Mark Wahlberg, the guy is a horrible actor, I haven't enjoyed a single one of his movies, and frankly watching him butcher Max Payne was enough for me.
Yes, Max Payne sucked. But I primarily blame the script, and the horribly miscast Mila Kunis.