Nathan Fillion Doesn't Blame Director for Uncharted Casting Decisions

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
People really need to calm down about this. For one, it's a movie based on a videogame. And we all know what a "powerhouse" Max Payne was, also starring Mark Wahlberg.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Damn... I'm not familiar with Fillion; but it looks like he'd suit the role of Drake a lot better, at least aesthetically. Mark Wahlberg is a big on the fugly side and Nate's supposed to be pretty. No doubt he's a talented actor, but he just doesn't look like I'd imagine Drake!

hansari

May 31, 2009
They should at least let him narrate...

Personally thought, my vote still goes to James Roday

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I don't understand why Nathan Fillian hasn't become the star he should. Maybe he's so charasmatic that he's slept with the wives of every producer and director in Hollywood.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I think we can all agree that the most likely outcome of this is another movie flop or if it is a success, it'll be because the movie doesn't follow the game at all and will be Uncharted in name only.

I give Mark some credit, his character in The Departed definitely has some similar qualities to Nathan Drake, so I'm no too worried about him pulling off the character. If the movie is good, I'll go see it, if not I won't.

I don't understand why everyone gets all up in arms about adaptations and how this person should play that part. Adaptations are usually worse than the original nine times out of ten. There are reasons that Uncharted is a game and not a movie series. It'll probably translate very well, but at the end of the day, it'll be an Indiana Jones knockoff at best, at least to the mainstream.

Lastly, at least Nathan Fillion is supposedly in the Avengers Movie, maybe that'll finally kick start a movie career for him.

sethusmaximus

Feb 11, 2011
Considering the rumors about the content of the film, i.e. the shadowy, mafia-esque family dynamic policing the trade of antiquities, I don't think this movie will be anything like the games, and the portrayal of Nathan Drake will probably be nothing like the Nathan from the games... Therefore, since it sounds as if Russell is simply making a movie that just happens to have the same title as the game, the likeness to the Nathan Drake from the games doesn't really matter.
Anyway, Wahlberg fits the role of a leading protagonist in a film that is likely going to flop better than Nathan Fillion.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
yeah but then again Wahlberg just isn't THAT great of an actor
wasn't he more or less the one weak spot in The Fighter in terms of acting?

HandofSet said:
Is Wahlberg a gamer/has he played the uncharted games? I'd rather have someone who gets the character and is excited to play the role than someone who going off of just the script and a brief runthrough of the game.
haha don't worry about it too much, I'm not sure the director has even played the game
oh wait that IS something to worry about (if you're an Uncharted fan)...

er...I'll just go back to worrying about Nolan's casting choices for the 3rd Batman movie

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
Oh good. So now Mark Walburger can ruin another game for me...

Oh Max Payne, you had such potential...no wait, no you didn't.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah because mark wahlberg really helped max payne.
Also i think Fillion has the sense of humour to do drake perfectly while mark wahlberg really doesnt.

floppylobster said:
I like Nathan Fillion. But there's a reason he's not an international star. You might hate Wahlberg but he's been good in Boogie Nights, Three Kings, The Departed, The Fighter. And okay in The Perfect Storm, I Heart Huckabees, The Italian Job, The Big Hit and The Other Guys (and shit in a number of other movies). Nathan has been in Firefly, Buffy, and ahh.... Slither? Nice guy, but not in the same class.
You forgot Castle & Dr. Horrible's :p

Sep 17, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
casting someone who is not only a very talented actor
I don't really know about this. Sure Marky Mark isn't the best, but he has proved time and again that he can act. When the script/part is right for him he truly can do a fantastic job. Hey, the academy recognized him for the departed.

OT: I honestly don't know if this is the part for Mark though, Fillion seems more of the Drake type.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nautical Honors Society said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I don't really know about this. Sure Marky Mark isn't the best, but he has proved time and again that he can act. When the script/part is right for him he truly can do a fantastic job. Hey, the academy recognized him for the departed.

OT: I honestly don't know if this is the part for Mark though, Fillion seems more of the Drake type.
I think you might have misread that section. The part you quoted says that Wahlberg is a talented actor.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Gaming movie? Of course they cast Wahlberg. At least they know it'll fail for sure.

After all who wants a sleeper hit anyway?

Captcha: Uninpa I've

Translation: U ninja? I AM!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Fucking Mark Wahlberg... it had to be, dammit ! why always do they choose Hollywood Actors! This guy doesn't even know what the story is about or related to a game, i bet you he even haven't played the game!

Sep 17, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Logan Westbrook said:

I think you might have misread that section. The part you quoted says that Wahlberg is a talented actor.
Oh wow, I really misread that. My apologies.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
"He added that he couldn't fault anyone for their choices and said that when a director was making a movie, he or she should make it with the actors he or she wanted."

This may be the case, but it's a shame the director can't make a movie with the actor's that the original game's creators seemed to want.

Honestly this movie would have been awesome and caused severe geekgasming. All they had to do was put Fillion in as Drake, and Bruce Campbell as Sully.

Way to stay classy though, Mal.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Anytime a film worker attached to a game franchise project is asked about their experience with the original property they usually say "I had my assistant play it and summarize it for me" or something like that. Maybe they've concluded that that sort of honesty isn't really worth it considering most of the audience just takes that as a slap to the face.

Russel says that he played the games with his kids, and I can believe that. He also said he's talked about the project with the games' writer Amy Hennig which I don't have any reason to doubt either.

But why then not just make a new franchise? If you really want to make this story in your head, why attempt to con your potential audience? Sure, the information about his vision is out there, but the majority of people probably won't hear about this movie until it's close to release.

He also (rightly) claims that there have been no genuinely good game movies, which is probably true (camp value doesn't count), but then again, has there been a single movie that's been true to it's source material? Not really, it's always been reimaginings and reworkings. Mortal Kombat probably comes the closest to its source, and guess what, it's pretty much exactly what it set out to be!

We've had aliens, pirates, vampires, super heroes and zombies. An Indiana Jones-style adventure story wouldn't exactly crowd the market.

Then again, I don't personally have any insight into the film industry. Directors are probably like most people, sitting on an idea they'd love to do something with, but can't because the window of opportunity just isn't there.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'll fault Russell! Not because he didn't cast Fillion. But because he didn't case Nolan North. He is Nathan Drake for crying outloud. Most of the random one liners and phrases Drake spits out in the games are from North just having fun when voice recording time comes. You can't just write that into a script.