NATO Considers "Persecuting" Anonymous

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
bdcjacko said:
darksakul said:
voorhees123 said:
Nothing on the internet is anonymous, there is always a trail. You just need to know where to start looking. An i am sure they will not be to difficult to find if you have the right people doing the searching. If they can find nazi war criminals 50 years later i am sure they can find a bunch of idiots behind a keyboard.
First off Nazi war criminals have identities, names, a paper trail. Although nothing truly invisible on the internet, you aren't going to just infiltrate anonymous. Undercover Military tech experts will stick out like a sore thumb unless they take the time to really become them. Nato better of sending a young college age or out of college person than a 30 year veteran in this situation. You think Nato is that smart? Laughs. They are treating Anonymous like a conventional terrorist or a cold war era spy and that isn't going to work.

Issue is anonymous isn't just a few idiots on keyboards. Anyone can claim to be anonymous, to easy to use anonymous as a scape goat. Yes you can follow the trail to a few individuals, that isn't going to stop Anonymous. And yes Anonymous even on the net can be Anonymous. Just head to any Library or free Wifi hot spot. Do you business and leave. Who the government going to question, Starbuck Employees?

Problem with anonymous is it could be any one, I could be anonymous, you can, one of your friends or family,you never know.

You arrest 1 Anonymous 10 more will appear, like like heads on a hydra.
They found Osama didn't they?
Want to post statistics relating to the cost of that achievement?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Giest4life said:
bdcjacko said:
darksakul said:
voorhees123 said:
Nothing on the internet is anonymous, there is always a trail. You just need to know where to start looking. An i am sure they will not be to difficult to find if you have the right people doing the searching. If they can find nazi war criminals 50 years later i am sure they can find a bunch of idiots behind a keyboard.
First off Nazi war criminals have identities, names, a paper trail. Although nothing truly invisible on the internet, you aren't going to just infiltrate anonymous. Undercover Military tech experts will stick out like a sore thumb unless they take the time to really become them. Nato better of sending a young college age or out of college person than a 30 year veteran in this situation. You think Nato is that smart? Laughs. They are treating Anonymous like a conventional terrorist or a cold war era spy and that isn't going to work.

Issue is anonymous isn't just a few idiots on keyboards. Anyone can claim to be anonymous, to easy to use anonymous as a scape goat. Yes you can follow the trail to a few individuals, that isn't going to stop Anonymous. And yes Anonymous even on the net can be Anonymous. Just head to any Library or free Wifi hot spot. Do you business and leave. Who the government going to question, Starbuck Employees?

Problem with anonymous is it could be any one, I could be anonymous, you can, one of your friends or family,you never know.

Losers whine about statistics, winners point to results.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
icame said:
buy teh haloz said:
Hey, NATO! Remember these two assholes? You know, the ones who have been killing innocent men, women and children every single day in their 30 year regimes and are spilling even more blood to keep themselves from relinquishing power? It's okay! I have pictures of them:

Yeah, stop wasting your incompetently trying to pursue a group that has the ability to severely fuck you over by leaking all your information, and start spending that time to ensure that these two leave their countries and are placed in a fucking prison cell for the rest of their miserable existence!
Could be wrong but I think Nato's job is just to defend any of its members when they come under attack, not to go out and take down regimes from foreign countries.
When their regimes are harming innocent people and it's affecting their relationship with countries like Libya or Syria, they have every right to interfere.
Didn't know what. Thanks for the info.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Tharwen said:
To everyone saying that Anonymous doesn't really exist/is so secretive that NATO can't touch it:

1. They're talking about the small group of people within Anon that actually does the hacking.

2. Of course they can be prosecuted. They're just people who use the internet a lot, like all of us. The fact that they use code names and never appear in person doesn't mean a thing when a government organisation is trying to find out who they are.
Nuh-uh, Anonymous doesn't have structure and doesn't stand for anything. You can't prosecute a tube of jello that is Anonymous. Sweet sweet jello with the marshmallows floating in it./anontard
Also, the tube will burn your house down and ruin your life if you pay too much attention to it. /anontard2

Mar 29, 2008
So correct me if I'm wrong but after reading that report it seems NATO says:
1. Internet Communities can be a good thing as they can spread positive social change and such.
2. A specific I.C. (Anon) has proven their ability to do so on a small scale, which was good.
3. That I.C. may now be good enough at it, where it MAY have the potential to spur real change as they now MIGHT be able to interfere with the people maintaining the status quo...so they are bad?

in a nutshell Activists of any kind are good so long as they are on the fringe and are only slightly effective, as soon as they grow to the ability to begin seeing the goal of their activism we must make a concerted international effort to take them down. Wow, that doesn't terrify me at all.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Giest4life said:
bdcjacko said:
darksakul said:
voorhees123 said:

Simpletons see the world in black and white. The wise don't.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
theriddlen said:
Carlos Alexandre said:
theriddlen said:
"The groups will be infiltrated"

How exactly are you gonna infiltrate something that doesn't have any structure?
The same way you join it?

Did you think before posting this?
I mean, how exactly are they gonna infiltrate any important structures? It's not like regular members know anything more than who to DDoS (from the website), and core hackers (that are not even nearly as numerous as whole anon is) are safely hidden and the only way you know they've done something is when you see them on the news.

One of us did. PROTIP: It wasn't you.

Infiltration involves undercover work. Pretending to be one of them, making connections, etc. To suggest it is somehow impossible means that it is also impossible for the group to have any members at all.

See: deep cover operations, including cyber operations, and including just about everywhere on Earth, conducted and ongoing all the time.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
bdcjacko said:
So do you also believe the moon landing never happened, there was a massive cover up in the JFK assassination and 9-11 was an inside job?
Moon landing had happen, besides the lack of stars on Apollo Mission photos and video was the result of a principal of photography. Light from the sun was too bright, to the camera's aperture had to be adjusted so dim lights will not show (stars).

There was Pictures, Video, Rocks, proof that it happen.

As for September 11, lets not go there, bulk of you were in school when that happened. I was in the military when it happened. The whole armed forced was on high alert for 2 weeks. It was a Month before I can manage to get off base.

Show me one shred of actual evidence that we (the United Sates) killed Osama Bin Laden other than the word of a Politician. Only a idiot believes what he told at face value, especially when the source is known to be a questionable one; a US President. Every US President since George Washington lied to the Public on a important issue, usually more than once. Bushed Lied, Clinton lied, why would Obama be any different?

As for JFK, I like to think he had him self killed. Liked it was mentioned in Red Dwarf, Maybe the DR Who theory, that was a good one.

But thank you for de-trailing the topic which is on hand which is Nato going after Anonymous.
I though Nato has better things to do like going after corrupt dictators and actually protecting the Western World. Not casing after internet activist. Problem is Nato still thinks in Cold War terms.

Von Heix

May 26, 2011
darksakul said:
bdcjacko said:
So do you also believe the moon landing never happened, there was a massive cover up in the JFK assassination and 9-11 was an inside job?
Only a idiot believes what he told at face value, especially when the source is known to be a questionable one; a US President. Every US President since George Washington lied to the Public on a important issue, usually more than once. Bushed Lied, Clinton lied, why would Obama be any different?
Don't bother explain it. And don't mention the billions of military/economic aid that where given to Israel by the Nixon Administration with Henry Kissinger (Nobel Peace recipient), and then explain why Palestine and the Middle East hates us. Don't mention CIA backed coups in South America either.
bdcjacko said:
Giest4life said:
bdcjacko said:
darksakul said:
voorhees123 said:
Never forget public ignorance is the government's best friend. - by Unknown

P.S. Not that I don't believe or care for Osama's capture credibility. But if you for one second believe that we shouldn't doubt the BS government spins, I pity you.

Also enjoy 4 more years of the Patriot Act and 3 wars. :D

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Carlos Alexandre said:
theriddlen said:
Carlos Alexandre said:
theriddlen said:
"The groups will be infiltrated"

How exactly are you gonna infiltrate something that doesn't have any structure?
The same way you join it?

I mean, how exactly are they gonna infiltrate any important structures? It's not like regular members know anything more than who to DDoS (from the website), and core hackers (that are not even nearly as numerous as whole anon is) are safely hidden and the only way you know they've done something is when you see them on the news.

One of us did. PROTIP: It wasn't you.

Infiltration involves undercover work. Pretending to be one of them, making connections, etc. To suggest it is somehow impossible means that it is also impossible for the group to have any members at all.

See: deep cover operations, including cyber operations, and including just about everywhere on Earth, conducted and ongoing all the time.
It apparently wasn't you either.

Anyone can be member of Anon just by thinking he is and believing in it's ideals - Anon's structure is totally different than anything else hackers working for NATO had ever seen. Anyone can easily be a member of Anon. And let me say it again, regular members don't have any info about serious operations, except for public announcements on /b/. And that's what everyone can see. Of course it is theoretically possible for a hacker to join Anon and become on of their hackers, but still, he wouldn't have access to any info. You know why? Because Anon doesn't store any info, there are not databases, no thing that could be leaked. Null.

Only way governments ever tracked someone from Anon is by investigating the traces they left after attacks - and still they have never found anyone important.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Von Heix said:
Don't bother explain it. And don't mention the billions of military/economic aid that where given to Israel by the Nixon Administration with Henry Kissinger (Nobel Peace recipient), and then explain why Palestine and the Middle East hates us. Don't mention CIA backed coups in South America either.

Never forget public ignorance is the government's best friend. - by Unknown

P.S. Not that I don't believe or care for Osama's capture credibility. But if you for one second believe that we shouldn't doubt the BS government spins, I pity you.

Also enjoy 4 more years of the Patriot Act and 3 wars. :D
Very wise words there. There is more than could be said, but I don't think any more research would help but to dilute issue at this point, especially where we are debating this at, the Escapist. Where the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 or is higher up on the priority list than real world politics.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
theriddlen said:
It apparently wasn't you either.

Anyone can be member of Anon just by thinking he is and believing in it's ideals - Anon's structure is totally different than anything else hackers working for NATO had ever seen. Anyone can easily be a member of Anon. And let me say it again, regular members don't have any info about serious operations, except for public announcements on /b/. And that's what everyone can see. Of course it is theoretically possible for a hacker to join Anon and become on of their hackers, but still, he wouldn't have access to any info. You know why? Because Anon doesn't store any info, there are not databases, no thing that could be leaked. Null.

Only way governments ever tracked someone from Anon is by investigating the traces they left after attacks - and still they have never found anyone important.
Dissecting everything wrong with this post would take me more than the 10 minutes I have to spare to read Escapist, so I'm just going to say, "This is some real MovieBob-level ad-hoc reasoning right here," and be done with it.

*ahem*

This is some real MovieBob-level ad-hoc reasoning right here.

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
Just want to know if anyone ever figured out that NATO was talking about military strikes against non NATO nations, namely China which has been making increasingly bold cyber attacks on a variety of Western nations and corporations including, but not limited to, the Canadian government (much more thoroughly then previously admitted according to the CBC) several US federal and state departments, several European governments, Google, most likely Microsoft and other fortune 500 companies. It's part of the PRC policy of cyber warfare in the event of a confrontation with NATO, and while in almost every case the hacking is denied by the Chinese government, it is widely known that it is paid Chinese military and government hackers obtaining useful information and conducting industrial espionage. The question for NATO is whether or not these events constitute a form of warfare, and if the continued use of which can or must be constituted as an Act of War requiring a formal military response of some kind.

NOT sending predator drones to bomb script kiddies in their moms basements playing the role of Anonymous.

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
I think persecution makes more sense than prosecution. NATO literally cannot prosecute them all, if even the majority, and harassing them online is probably the best they can do at this point.

I can;t imagine being paid to hang around on the internet trying to be E-popular. Would be weird, to say the least.