Natural Selection Can Suck It.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Yes, I'm sure all the overweight kids can easily outrun zombies a lot better than the track star kids. Also, Plans don't count for jack! let me just state it this way.

In Left 4 Dead, how long to spend making a "zombie-proof" plan, only to not make it past 5 minutes?

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
WrongSprite said:
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Nerds would survive because we can see our own health bar :D
Ah yes, but what about modern FPS's which don't use health bars?
We'll just sit behind a wall and regenerate for a few seconds.
what about a zombie Apocalypse? are we supposed to just cover our selves with bandages?
I believe so. Although I think there's some temporary death-preventing pills available, if no miracle bandages are to hand.

Bunyip Andler

Nov 15, 2008
Not to sound pretentious, but as an evolutionary biologist, I can say that "survival of the fittest" refers to neither the strongest, nor who can adapt the quickest.

The phrase is from The Origins of Species and the entire phrase is "survival of the fittest to reproduce". It doesn't matter how quickly you adapt and how well you survive if you can't have offspring.

Look at mosquitoes. They're terrible at surviving. But they reproduce like nobody's business. And that's how they survive.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Treblaine said:
Daveman said:
sam g said:
You know, it's funny...
Assuming there was a nuclear/zombie/raptor apocalypse, you'd assume Mother Nature would intend for the fittest, most healthy humans to survive, right?
snip
yeah, thats not me, but I concur with most of your sentiment.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Knowledge of Natural Selection is required to beat it, if you're an idiot you can continue your kind knowing that if you don't you'll die off.

Its like the metagame of life

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
So because i post on here it means i lack physical prowess but plan for everything? How the hell are you gonna adapt to a post-apocalyptic setting without a balance of both muscle and brain power? Thinking about swimming across a river won't make it get any smaller or shallower... anyways,anger aside, that theory is flawed, sorry bud.

Datalord

Oct 9, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Thanks to RTS's i can default see not only my health bar, mana bar, level, xp, current abilities, i can see everyone elses health bars and mana bars as well

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Datalord said:
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Thanks to RTS's i can default see not only my health bar, mana bar, level, xp, current abilities, i can see everyone elses health bars and mana bars as well
Sadly, in the only popular RTS with a mana bar that would be helpful in the wave of an undead scourge, the undead win.

You might want better skillset.

God of Blades

Nov 28, 2009
nicole1207 said:
Um.... not all of us are unfit and unskilled.
Also, when it comes down to repopulating the planet, I'm still going for the hunky athletic men first.
I admit I'm not hunky, I'm kinda athletic, and certainly not your stereo-typical nerd. Anyway, the second part of your statement pisses me off. It's amazing how many girls end up in terrible/abusive relationships because they want the "hunky" or "hot" guys. Kind of sad, really.

NOT WILL

Sep 1, 2009
if there was a nuke war/zombies ect. the farmers would be the best. if the zombies come the farmers have guns and can see you commingf a while away.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Datalord said:
Haha! Stop changing genres on me! Playing Fallout Three was we speak are we?

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
Amnestic said:
sam g said:
You know, it's funny...
Assuming there was a nuclear/zombie/raptor apocalypse, you'd assume Mother Nature would intend for the fittest, most healthy humans to survive, right?
But that's not what's going to happen. We, the unfit, unskilled video-game nerds are going to live through it, while all the olympic athletes and manly muscle-men get eaten/vaporized/infected. That's all because we are the ones who plan for this sort of situation, whereas the healthy athletic people are busy doing other things, like exercising and populating the planet.
So, "Survival of the Fittest" isn't exactly going to work this time round. You know you've screwed up your planet when the wrong group of people survive the end of it.
Pretty sure Survival of the Fittest is not to do with who conforms to whatever physical or mental criterium you put on it, but more to do with who can adapt to the new environment the fastest and most efficiently.

Also I call into question the validity of the claim that nerds have a plan. They have an internet plan. Theory and practise are two very different things. Maybe one or two people who have these so-called plans on the Escapist pull them off without a hitch and don't die in the initial wave of nuclear/zombies/velociraptors.
sorry as much as I'd like to agree with the former theory of the OP but the latter theory seems more correct, unless the nerds can adapt fastest because they all get magical intutition then yes the OP is right but Amnestic couldn't have said it better
really I think the survivors at least for nuclear armageddon would be astronaughts to think of it but I guess they don't count what with them kinda segregating themselves from the ecosystem and what not

also those folks who fancy living in cabins on top of mountains might have a good go except for Velocaraptors since no one would waste a perfectly good nuck of 3 people and a bear and it takes a while for a shuffler to climb a mountain
McOrdinaryish said:
Who has the best chance to survive?

Nerds? lolno.

The army.
nuclear armageddon? yes. Zombies?
your talking about the smisinfomred blokes sent directly at the horde using recently obsolete tactics and possibly weapons?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Yes a geeky nerd who plays games to much will survive the roaming hordes better then a physically fit person. Despite an inability to run far or fast, climb quickly, or move large physical objects geeks will survive better. Sure. There is a reason meat heads fight wars and smart guys direct them. Aside from maybe outsmarting the horde, you're out of luck mister. Considering that in this theoretical apocalypse you face an unrelenting and omnipresence force I doubt if a nerd could outsmart his enemies forever. In the end, I don't think smarts will beat out brawn in the Apocalypse.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Fittest = most likely to produce healthy offspring, a 300 kilo man with 3 children is far more fitter (in a genetic sense) than an Olympic athlete with a vasectomy.

Also why does everyone think those with the plans don't have the physical condition or experience to survive a zombie apocalypse. I know how to use a gun, love camping and while I'm no athlete, I feel I'm in reasonable shape.