Naughty Dog Claims The Last of Us 2 Has 50/50 Chance of Happening

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
SporkySpork said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Last of Us was very much lightning in a bottle. And Left Behind already showed what happens when they tried to capture more lightning in the same bottle.

This game was Joel and Ellie. So either you continue on with the same characters and retread the same ground, or you focus on new characters and run a tremendous risk of losing the heart of the story.

So please Naughty Dog, just leave it alone.
I think you're letting your personal bias speak for you, Left Behind is pleasing a lot of reviewers just like the main game did.

It's weird how people who praise a studio so much can also have so little faith in them. The Last of Us wasn't a fluke, a hypothetical sequel will be a risk, but Naughty Dog is more than capable of making a great game and a great sequel, so it's ridiculous to say that they'll fuck it up when their pedigree is outstanding.
Well, who else do I speak for but myself.

Sometimes it's wise to quit while your ahead, just look at The Matrix.

And I wouldn't say their pedigree is outstanding, considering they made Uncharted 3. Now granted that was made by a different team while Druckmann and Straley's team were making TLoU, but it goes to show they can get overconfident.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Hmm, well this is a bad situation.
Some people would love a sequel, while others do not want one no matter what, especially since they want to keep TLoU the way it ended.

For me, I didn't really care for the series.
I accept that it is a good game judging by the sales and reputation it is gained.
If the game does gain a sequel, cool, I won't get it.

The only thing I want from Naughty Dog is a Jak and Daxter sequel. In the end of Jak 3 I could see a lot they could do with the series.
Man I do miss that silent/Violent Boy and pant-less/orange critter.

Tassit

May 16, 2013
I'm conflicted on this, I enjoyed the game but "The Last of Us" is a pretty final title.
Says the one who plays Final Fantasy games. :p

Malk_Kontent

Mar 19, 2008
Goliath100 said:
Two questions:
1) Does anyone actually want a direct sequel with focus on Joel and/or Ellie?
2) Does anyone actually want a sequel in the same setting(Note: Setting =/= world)?
1: MAYBE. If there were rumors that kids other than Ellie were immune to the Cordiceps, it would be interesting if Joel/Ellie went out into the world to investigate those rumors, and possibly protect those kids from people like the Fireflies and/or the military government in the quarantine zones, who only care about saving their own asses and will happily puree the brains of anyone who happens to have developed an immunity (isn't evolution WONDERFUL?) in hopes of finding a cure (which probably WOULD NOT WORK).
2: HELL YES!!! I'd also love to see a prequel, taking place in the 20-year gap between the beginning of the story and the main part pf it. I think there's potentially THOUSANDS of stories that could be told from that time, so it wouldn't HAVE to be Joel's story.

Hmm. Maybe I should try to get a job plotting the story-side of games for Naughty Dog.

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
SporkySpork said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Last of Us was very much lightning in a bottle. And Left Behind already showed what happens when they tried to capture more lightning in the same bottle.

This game was Joel and Ellie. So either you continue on with the same characters and retread the same ground, or you focus on new characters and run a tremendous risk of losing the heart of the story.

So please Naughty Dog, just leave it alone.
I think you're letting your personal bias speak for you, Left Behind is pleasing a lot of reviewers just like the main game did.

It's weird how people who praise a studio so much can also have so little faith in them. The Last of Us wasn't a fluke, a hypothetical sequel will be a risk, but Naughty Dog is more than capable of making a great game and a great sequel, so it's ridiculous to say that they'll fuck it up when their pedigree is outstanding.
Well, who else do I speak for but myself.

Sometimes it's wise to quit while your ahead, just look at The Matrix.

And I wouldn't say their pedigree is outstanding, considering they made Uncharted 3. Now granted that was made by a different team while Druckmann and Straley's team were making TLoU, but it goes to show they can get overconfident.
Last time I checked, Uncharted 3 was good. Certainly not better than Uncharted 2, but the quality gap wasn't too wide.

If anything, the one thing I truly hate about Naughty Dog's games are their multiplayer due to their extremely stupid insistence on having online passes and no dedicated servers and that oh so wonderfully special type of lag that, instead of causing herky jerky movement, causes me to stand frozen in place while people fill me with bullets.