Naughty Dog is...Making a Zombie Game?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I've pretty much given up on the idea of having a serious zombie.
Just wait, in a month or so there'll be game play footage of the player character being chased by an unnaturely huge zombie while throwing the player character repeatively throws electrified machete boomarangs at it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Gmans uncle said:
Another
The whole zombie craze is just getting old, I'm not that psyched, sorry.
But... but... it's mushroomhead spore zombies! They are really ugly and disgusting, and they can run and attack really, really fast!

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Outcast107 said:
DustyDrB said:
-snip-
It's not just about games centered around them.
-snip-
It is in my example because if you are going to ***** about zombies being "overused" this shouldn't be hard. Plus, if a mere presence counts, we may as well ***** about rats, trolls, elves, skeletons, or raiders too. What about humans? They are in EVERYTHING.
Sam_Winchester said:
Dead Rising,
Left 4 Dead,
Resident Evil 5,
Left 4 Dead 2,
Dead Rising 2,
Dead Island,
Zombie Apocalypse,*
Dead Space,
Dead Space 2,
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare.

TKretts3 said:
Savagezion said:
I find the replies about "zombie games are overdone" hilarious. There haven't been many zombie games that are good games come out. Just because you have played these mediocre zombie games that have been shoveled out doesn't mean everyone else has. I figure anyone sick of zombies bought into the genre way too soon and now are tired of them before they have been really explored well.

Can anybody actually name off more than 5 games centered around zombies that have been released in the last 5 years?
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Island
Dead Rising 2
Resident Evil 5
House of the Dead Overkill
Dead Nation*
Dead Frontier*
NecroVision (Though it wasn't exclusively zombies)

... To name a few. And I'm not even getting into zombie sections, modes, and DLC.
Of course, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. :3
Your list was the best considering other people were looking to throw in Black Ops or RDR. Dead Space is really a technicality but I will allow it for the purposes of what I am trying to say. The asterisks represent stretches considering they are small games where one is browser based and one is a PSN download. I am talking about full release games here. Sequels don't count as that is the entire premise of the franchise and to not go with zombies in your sequel would be utterly stupid.

What we came up with was:

Left 4 Dead
Dead Rising
Resident Evil
Dead Island
Dead Space
House of the Dead: Overkill
NecroVision
Plants vs. Zombies (Gawd, plants are in everything too!)

PSN/XBLA downloadables:
*Zombie Apocalypse
*Dead Nation

Browser:
*Dead Frontier

SO in 5 years, the time it takes to go from 7th grade to high school graduate, that is the so called "flood" of zombie games out there. Half of which suffered poor/mediocre reviews and poor/mediocre sales as well. Of those games listed I have played Dead Space and Resident Evil (1 & 2) None of the others interested me except L4D but haven't played it for arbitrary reasons. As someone who isn't automatically "drawn in" by zombies the market has yet to really make me tired of them as all those games mostly play off of zombies as the only draw to them. Hell, I hadn't even heard of NecroVision.

My point: If you see Zombies as overdone, its because you sought out a bunch of zombie shit before this recent "zombie craze" and now the market is reacting to your purchasing habits.
Even stretching into PSN/XBLA and a browser game, we barely managed 2 zombie IPs a year. (Half of which did poorly) So one per year that was successful. They aren't overused.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It could very well be interesting, Naughty Dog is a damn good developer.

But seriously, another zombie game? Unless this game actually puts out something innovative for the zombie genre like having to build and maintain a fort, wandering out to find supplies and having to make it back in time, interact with other survivors, actually making ammo scarce and an integral part of fighting, and, you know, actually have some surviving in a zombie survival game (seriously, most zombie games just give you loads of ammo and are basically shooting galleries by the end, there is some real potential for a survival zombie game that nobody has yet to even bother with), then it will interest me further.

As it stands, I take this game with a pillar of salt, as well as any hyping of the "mature" story with "character driven experiences" or some other stupid PR bull. I have become so jaded with game companies trying to hype up their unoriginal, retreaded games, especially against anything regarding storytelling (I'm looking at you Homefront, Call of Juarez: The Cartel...) it's just sad.

I probably sound bitter, but basically this;

Gmans uncle said:
It could very well be a decent game in itself, and I do love Naughty Dog with their well-made games, but that's really all they give; well-made games, nothing groundbreaking or really envelope-pushing. If they can separate this game from the hordes of other zombie games out there that are basically just meat in a box shooting galleries, then I may be interested.

EDIT: Also, one must consider how Naughty Dog has made their stories so far, mainly with the Uncharted series and how they think of the setpieces first, then make the story around it. And while that can make for a good story, nothing in the Uncharted series has ever been that deep or complex or whatever, and the trailer that they showed us looks to me that they want to go the more mature, thoughtful route. Only time will tell if they succeed, but for now I will be watching cautiously.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
PunkRex said:
Isn't this the point where someone talks about how the trailer is just a teaser and shows almost nothing game play wise except for the the possiblity of resourse gathing and muilti-player.

It looks a little like Enslaved so it may be interesting. Also, Ellen Page... as in Juno? I HATED that film... that roller derbie film was pretty cute though...
It may look like her, but the actor playing the girl character is Ashley Johnson.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Savagezion said:
But there nothing that proofs that this game is going to be any different. Oh sure they said its going to be a deep game but what other companies have said that about their game. It just sounds like its going to be like a RE5 game. Third person shooter with crappy AI.

Plus your whole troll and humans being over use is sort of stupid. They are not shove in almost every game. Halo had a zombie like race the flood. Gears has a zombie like race the lambent. Or perhaps we should just call them a infection like race. Cause most games for some reason or another PUSH these types of enemies in their game.

I don't MIND zombies game, but it just seem all that ever comes out is just the same. I'm not trying to hate on this game but to get all hype up saying "This game is going to change the zombie market" its naive. I seen no proof that this game is going to be any better then the other main focus zombie games.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'm really hoping Naughty Dog decide to focus on survival more than combat. The Bunker section in Uncharted had a really intense feel on Crushing. If they can re-create that feeling and magnify it, it'll no doubt fill the shoes of the dying survival genre.

It'd be really interesting if they had a heavy emphasis on ammo conservation and fight or flight. I don't know the limitations on current AI, but the moment in the trailer where he cocked the gun and it alerted the fungi to his location I instantly thought about how much more cautious I'd be and how much atmosphere it would add to a quite, seemingly empty building.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Outcast107 said:
Savagezion said:
But there nothing that proofs that this game is going to be any different. Oh sure they said its going to be a deep game but what other companies have said that about their game. It just sounds like its going to be like a RE5 game. Third person shooter with crappy AI.
That is a fair point. It may not be for you personally and that is fine. I am definitely not saying everyone has to like this game. I personally like Naughty Dogs approach to story telling and that is what will make this game different for me. Zombies alone can't draw me in but Naughty Dogs ability to tell a story with enjoyable characters can if the setting is good enough. For me, this setting is good enough.

Plus your whole troll and humans being over use is sort of stupid. They are not shove in almost every game. Halo had a zombie like race the flood. Gears has a zombie like race the lambent. Or perhaps we should just call them a infection like race. Cause most games for some reason or another PUSH these types of enemies in their game.
I know it is hyperbole but the point is, it is an AI behavior thing. Having things "Zerg rush" offers a different kind of difficulty over monster that can take more damage. TO refer to every type of AI that uses the mob strategy a "zombie" is a fallacy. That would be like calling every AI with a lot of hit points a troll or a troll stand in.

I don't MIND zombies game, but it just seem all that ever comes out is just the same. I'm not trying to hate on this game but to get all hype up saying "This game is going to change the zombie market" its naive. I seen no proof that this game is going to be any better then the other main focus zombie games.
That's a fair point. I am not saying this game will do anything of the sort. I am just tired of seeing "zombies are overplayed" as if it is indisputable. My only point was that people who are tired of zombies, did it to themselves. It isn't the market's fault.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I think the problem is the same that people have with CoD and we were just hit with a massive wave of zombie games where the zombies are the same exact thing.

If we do have more zombie games the zombies better have personality or something distinct.

I think we use zombies because they're like robots and make for good 'almost humanoid' enemies that we can kill indiscriminately. We don't have to worry about race when killing zombies (or mutants) (unless you're RE5)

Yes, zombies have been used in games since the early days of gaming, but there hasn't been this rush of them being the featured part of the game until this generation. I think the worst was the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Apocalypse is the worst offender of jumping on the zombie crazy. And they're all western style zombies. We need some of them supernatural asian zombies. That'll mix things up.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Savagezion said:
Outcast107 said:
Savagezion said:
That is a fair point. It may not be for you personally and that is fine. I am definitely not saying everyone has to like this game. I personally like Naughty Dogs approach to story telling and that is what will make this game different for me. Zombies alone can't draw me in but Naughty Dogs ability to tell a story with enjoyable characters can if the setting is good enough. For me, this setting is good enough.

I know it is hyperbole but the point is, it is an AI behavior thing. Having things "Zerg rush" offers a different kind of difficulty over monster that can take more damage. TO refer to every type of AI that uses the mob strategy a "zombie" is a fallacy. That would be like calling every AI with a lot of hit points a troll or a troll stand in.

That's a fair point. I am not saying this game will do anything of the sort. I am just tired of seeing "zombies are overplayed" as if it is indisputable. My only point was that people who are tired of zombies, did it to themselves. It isn't the market's fault.
Fair enough. Glad we had this talk though I do hope this game is different. Though from the looks of it (To me) its just going to get hype beyond reasoning (I mean it, go look at the IGN forms and see how much they are saying this game is going to be the best game ever in the comments.) I probably wouldn't have made this post if I wasn't peeve a bit from just how much hype this got from just one trailer. Reminds me about Brink, Dead Island and Halo 3 since those games got tones of hype I believe. At least the last two did.

Humza Ahmad

Sep 22, 2011
It seems like the non-zombie zombie, so Naughty Dog has a lot of room to make a creature they want to make.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
See, this is actually refreshing because almost every other zombie game/DLC/expansion has been like "LOL, zombies," especially if it's an existing franchise that gets zombie DLC. This actually looks like a more serious take on zombies and survival horror, something that's more than welcome for me.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Gatx said:
See, this is actually refreshing because almost every other zombie game/DLC/expansion has been like "LOL, zombies," especially if it's an existing franchise that gets zombie DLC. This actually looks like a more serious take on zombies and survival horror, something that's more than welcome for me.
Dead island started out like that. And look what we got.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010

But seriously, zombie games nowadays get a resounding "Eh" from me. Surely they can't be scary to anyone anymore?

They've been done -sunglasses- to death.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/]

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Oh, and one other thing:
Doesn't the guy look totally like the default male Hawke in DA2?

I.
I knew he look familar!

this sure as hell not disappoint me like Dead Island.

Then again, these guys made made Jak and Dexter.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Well, I'm not exactly happy it's a zombie game, but, it's Naughty Dog, and they haven't failed me yet. Besides, it still looks remotely interesting, makes me kinda wish to get another PS3. Though I want to reserve full judgement until I see some gameplay and more story details.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
so many many years after the zombie apocolypse? judging that enought time for a tree to grow it has to be years after.....
no rushing for evac
structured civilizations maybe?
sounds good

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Outcast107 said:
Gatx said:
Dead island started out like that. And look what we got.
Oh, don't get me started on the whole Dead Island crap (though I probably will anyway). I know trailers aren't supposed to give you an accurate portrayal of the gameplay, but they at least give you an idea as to what the developers are aiming for. Dead Island was the biggest bait-n-switch ever, and honestly it was enough to turn me off the game. They showed a little girl and her whole family getting killed in a pretty gruesome way, and with the result that Dead Island turned out to be, I honestly found it disgusting and it was enough to turn me off the game. I'm not against (yet another) zombie co-op romp and whatnot, but at least be honest with your customers if you're making one.

I have way more faith in Naughty Dog than in Techland/Deep Silver for their bullshit attempt at a "deep" zombie game. And they still try to act like the game they made was anywhere near what the original trailer showed. Absolute bullshit.

Again, my bitterness/jadedness with the whole games industry is really showing, and I really can't help it. There is so much potential with these games, yet developers are intent to just do the same old bullcrap again, dressing it up as if they're still doing something meaningful, innovating barely an iota at a time. It's ridiculous at this point.