NBC Creates Its Own Batman With The Cape

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So, he's NOT Batman, he's just a dude in a cape. Batman has decades of combat training, world-class intellect, enough money to make god envious, and gadgets bought with said money that enable him to fight crime.

The guy is a former cop who wears a cape and is trained by a street gang. Wow....the similarities are mind-boggling.

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
Heroes got cancelled??? and i was goin to start back watching that...doubt i'll watch this...

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
He was a cop, and good at his job. But then he committed the ultimate sin and testified against other cops - gone bad. Cops who tried to kill him and nearly got the woman he loved instead. Framed for murder, now he prowls the streets. An outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter - a CAPE!

But yeah, the premise is so cliché that it's almost laughable. Having said that, Batman is one of the most believable superheroes and has arguably aged well as a concept, so he is probably the best choice as far as who to immitate. Besides which, while I dislike the superhero "genre" (if you can call it that), it seems to me like it has gone rather stale due to the big presence of older superheroes. So having someone have a crack at a concept for a brand new superhero feels like a welcome change.

Also, The Cape could be interesting depending on what direction they take him. If they give him a more stealth-based style (which would fit, considering he was trained by a group of thieves), it would help differentiating him from the other, more action-oriented heroes.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I just learned about Heroes being cancelled from this, what a shock! I thought they would cancel Chuck before Heroes, but I love that show too. Oh well, I guess at least that's one less show for me to follow.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Summer Glau's presence in the show means two things: 1) it will be awesome and 2) no one will watch it.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I hope this does well, not for "The Cape" himself or NBC, but because I'd like to see Summer Glau get a gig that doesn't get ganked in the first season or two. She was amazing in "Serenity", and I don't care what anyone says, "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" rocked!!!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
As an aside, is it just me or does everything seem to get cancelled these days? When I was a kid I remember anything I watched being cancelled. Now it seems everything I watch is.

And it sucks, I live in Ireland, so watching the show has no impact...at least if I lived in the States sitting down a 9 (8 central) could help my fave but doomed shows.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
[HEADING=2]Heroes got canceled?! When did this happened?[/HEADING]

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Firefly's Summer Glau stars...
You had me at Summer Glau :D. This is a must see now for me, any news on whether it'll get a UK release, or will I have to import/stream?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Generic_Dave said:
As an aside, is it just me or does everything seem to get cancelled these days? When I was a kid I remember anything I watched being cancelled. Now it seems everything I watch is.

And it sucks, I live in Ireland, so watching the show has no impact...at least if I lived in the States sitting down a 9 (8 central) could help my fave but doomed shows.
TV is different now than it was then. Networks other than the big four have quality shows, theres 2309423094 channels, and then there's the internet, where people can basically watch whatever they want on their own time. Plus, shows geared towards people in their 20s tend to not do as well anyway.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
DustyDrB said:
TV is different now than it was then. Networks other than the big four have quality shows, theres 2309423094 channels, and then there's the internet, where people can basically watch whatever they want on their own time. Plus, shows geared towards people in their 20s tend to not do as well anyway.
Yeah, I know. But it sucks. The half-arsed endings that Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse were given to tie them up bugged the hell outta me.

True, nearly everyone in their 20's I know watches tv shows on-line, because its just handier, not much cash in it for the companies there. Just hope Caprica doesn't get axed, really starting to get into that.