NBC Thinks Fairy Tale Police Drama Could Be Just Right

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Grimm sounds pretty good, a lot like fables but i had worries that the TV show wouldn't be as good as the comics.

Can't wait to see if it actually gets launched, not enough fairy tales in the media these days.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
There's no denying that this has "been done before" but it's usually been done badly (Dresden). That being said I try to be optimistic about these things so I'll give it a chance.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
So...Dresden Files?
I remember that show being pretty good, but no one watched...so (then) SciFi took it down.
I predict a similar future for this/these shows.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
I pesonally want to see a CSI style program set in a world where supernatural beings live. I could just see them doing lab work on a stake to find out who killed the local vampire!
Actualy that sounds like it might be pretty cool to see. :D

Apr 17, 2009
-Drifter- said:
I read the title expecting something about Artemis Fowl. Damn.
I was expecting an adaption of "The Big Over Easy" by Jasper Fforde, in which Humpty Dumpty didn't fall...he was pushed. They're basically a pastiche of common Detective Story tropes and cliches, set in Reading, England, where Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes happen to be real. The two main characters are Jack Spratt (he take elements from other Jacks, such as beanstalk Jack) and Mary Mary. And yes, at times she is quite contrary

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
You know what would be even better than a Fables knock off? A Fables TV show. Also just for the sake of cool TV show ideas, how about a Neil Gaiman Sandman TV show?

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Nerf Ninja said:
I pesonally want to see a CSI style program set in a world where supernatural beings live. I could just see them doing lab work on a stake to find out who killed the local vampire!
*shrug*

I would bet real money that someone is pitching the anita blake series of books to HBO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Blake:_Vampire_Hunter

banthesun

Apr 15, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I was expecting an adaption of "The Big Over Easy" by Jasper Fforde, in which Humpty Dumpty didn't fall...he was pushed. They're basically a pastiche of common Detective Story tropes and cliches, set in Reading, England, where Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes happen to be real. The two main characters are Jack Spratt (he take elements from other Jacks, such as beanstalk Jack) and Mary Mary. And yes, at times she is quite contrary
Thanks for restoring some of my faith in this site. Those books were brilliant and I was getting quite concerned that nobody here had read them.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Anoia Dammit, I had this idea myself, but set in Leeds (my adopted home city) and with a vampire detective and her human friend/business partner. Though it dealt more with the supernatural rather than fairy tales. What was my fairy tale idea again? Oh, yeah, it was in another world, like a twin to Earth, and dealt with the supernatural mixed with fairy tales, and had a whole element of conspiracy and a massive civil war and stuff. Huh. I guess my idea isn't like this then. Okay, rant over...

Seriously though, I've never read Fables but after seeing it on countless TV Tropes pages it looks like a decent read. So if this show is anything like Fables, then it's probably going to be pretty damn good. I'll just have to wait for it to get aired in the UK as well, or watch it online, but I'm certainly looking forward to this. I've always liked the more twisted versions of fairy tales, after all (hence my own aforementioned idea)...

Heppenfeph said:
You know what would be even better than a Fables knock off? A Fables TV show. Also just for the sake of cool TV show ideas, how about a Neil Gaiman Sandman TV show?
I would pay good money to see a TV show of Sandman. In fact, just because I love Death so much (I just have a thing for gothic looking girls, okay?), I'd love to see a film version of Death: The High Cost Of Living. Someone needs to make that, now. Ideally Tim Burton (I jest, I jest...).

IronCladNinja

Oct 5, 2009
I wouldn't like to see Fables on TV. It wouldn't look right. Grimm, I don't know, sounds to much like Fables, without actually being Fables.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I'm thinking we're going to see at least something compelling from NBC in the near future.
You haven't been watching on Thursdays, I guess. Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock are a comedic force unlike any other.

Then there's my favorite show on TV, Chuck. It's in its weakest season so far, but is still better than most shows.

I'm enjoying the The Cape, too, but for different reasons. It's so damn camp. It's like the opposite of Heroes in that it doesn't take itself too seriously at all. I can't blame anyone for not liking it, though.

Wing Dairu

Jul 21, 2010
SteakHeart said:
I'm gonna quote Monty Python on this one.

"I'd like to see more fairy stories about the police."
Damn. Ninja'd.
"...and so you shall!"
"Bloody fairy."

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
the fact nbc plans to make it means its pretty much doomed to the axe already, they never seem to get fantasy or scifi shows right anymore or hire hacks like jeff loeb who end up ruining them.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Tom Goldman said:
I'm thinking we're going to see at least something compelling from NBC in the near future.
You haven't been watching on Thursdays, I guess. Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock are a comedic force unlike any other.

Then there's my favorite show on TV, Chuck. It's in its weakest season so far, but is still better than most shows.

I'm enjoying the The Cape, too, but for different reasons. It's so damn camp. It's like the opposite of Heroes in that it doesn't take itself too seriously at all. I can't blame anyone for not liking it, though.
Something new, I meant. I watch all of those except Chuck, which I didn't get into.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I'll check it out. I love Fables. This sounds interesting.

Also, Y: The Last Man should get a mini series or something. That would be awesome.