NCSoft: City of Heroes Can't Be Saved

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
NCSoft: City of Heroes Can't Be Saved

A 20,000+ strong petition and a fundraiser aren't enough to save the superhero MMO from closure.

Just over a month ago, NCSoft decided to shut down Paragon Studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119398-NCsoft-Shuts-Down-City-of-Heroes] along with its popular superhero MMO City of Heroes. Dedicated fans immediately rallied to prevent their beloved game from being axed, building a petition with more than 20,000 signatures and starting up a "Save City of Heroes" movement. Despite their best efforts, however, the company has confirmed that the game will definitely not be resurrected.

NCSoft posted an announcement in response to the overwhelming display of dedication. The company explains that it has investigated all possible options to keep the game alive, including putting both the studio and the intellectual property rights for City of Heroes up for sale, to no avail.

"We wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your concerns have been taken into serious consideration," the company continued. "We appreciate the overwhelmingly constructive and positive messages in the emails, notes, and packages you've sent in support of the game...City of Heroes has a special place in all of our hearts, and we want to ensure its reputation and the memories we share for the game end on a high note.

"We will be holding events throughout the process of preparing for the game's end, and we encourage players and fans of the franchise to join forces and enjoy their time in a game that we've enjoyed supporting for more than eight years."

Members of the "Save City of Heroes" movement carried out several campaigns to show the company that there was still strong demand for the game. Fans sent capes and masks to NCSoft employees and messages to the company's CEO, and mass in-game demonstrations were held at key locations in the game's world. The movement even managed to pool together $1,400 to treat the developers to dinner at their favorite restaurant, just to show them how committed the fans were to the game's success. Alas, it was not enough to justify keeping the studio or the MMORPG alive.

City of Heroes is scheduled to go dark from November 30th.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html]

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
I honestly have a serious doubt that NCsoft put any actual effort into trying to keep City of Heroes alive. This is a predictably publisher-like for them.

If player movements were up to me, I would have it that NC never hears the end of it and has to put up with the torment of over 20,000 voices until they cave. Alas, I know that the fire, while a righteous one, is going to burn out eventually...

Sleep well you paladins of justice, you masters of villainy, you caped crusaders, you masterminds of menace, you super scientists, you monstrosities of man. Where be your power and glorious battles now? They were slain by the hands of corporate greed, but we shalt remembereth thy joys well.

...Damn you, NCsoft.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Can't people just do private servers or something? I know that they're a bit sketchy at times but if it's not going to be available, then why not?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Can't people just do private servers or something? I know that they're a bit sketchy at times but if it's not going to be available, then why not?
And they probably will, if they don't already exist, but clearly the game still has enough support from people who wanted to see it continue and develop.

NCSoft no longer wishes to be involved supporting western MMOs. Honestly, if you're playing an NCSoft MMO like... Guild Wars 2.. I wouldn't count on them keeping the lights on for more than 5 years.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sylveria said:
hazabaza1 said:
And they probably will, if they don't already exist, but clearly the game still has enough support from people who wanted to see it continue and develop.

NCSoft no longer wishes to be involved supporting western MMOs. Honestly, if you're playing an NCSoft MMO like... Guild Wars 2.. I wouldn't count on them keeping the lights on for more than 5 years.
Probably not, GW1 has a much lower player base and that has been out since 04, it and GW2 won't be gone for a longtime.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
It's always painful watching a dead-eyed soulless corporation pretend to care about people. Its like watching a corpse try to read poetry.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So I guess this is really the end of Statesman and co. Too bad they couldn't just release it again in lesser form like RF Online.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
happy_turtle said:
Two Words: "Open Source"
Exactly. I don't see why they can't just hand off the server hosting responsibilities to this group.
There are Dreamcast games that STILL have online support from fans. I'm fairly certain you can still get on public servers for Phantasy Star Online

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Just open source it and let fans run servers. A community that big and nerdy will have developers willing to work on it as a hobby.

It would be a huge PR win and wouldn't cost them anything since "generic superhero universe" as an IP is fundamentally worthless.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...So... why can't they keep the game going? Is there something they aren't saying? ...Or maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't trust higher ups in a situation like this...

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
This is really an attempt to placate the CoH community, especially with the bad publicity and their stock prices dropping despite the recent release of Guild Wars 2.

If anything, this is the perfect time to turn the heat up.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
/mourn

Still sad that it's going down. I loved playing CoH/V for a long time. At least I'll have my old screenshots to look back on.