NCsoft Shuts Down City of Heroes

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Well I suppose it was a good thing I did try it once abliet it was months ago and not when it first came out. The game felt so plain that I uninstall it a day later.

I would of thought they made the ingame stuff sold in the shop free than to shut it down competely.
The problem with making the shop items free is that they would lose what revenue they are making off the game while still having to pay to keep servers online and pay staff to maintain the code and hardware. Not a very realistic expectation for a profit-driven company.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Damn, I was gonna check this out at some point. Seemed like a more in-depth version of DCUO, albeit without the awesome IP.

Infact, if it wasn't for the fact that DCUO has the DC IP to work with, I would have tried CoH much sooner.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Pipotchi said:
I dont understand this, I dont play it but if it's still profitable why shut it down?

As long as its adding to the bottom line then surely its a positive as well as its supporting staff, jobs etc
Actually, yeah, this.
If a game is making enough money to support itself, there is virtually no justifiable reason to shut it down.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I rather liked CoH. So did my girlfriend and a number of friends.

Remember thine icy tanker, Max Fuyunaito. Best drummer in the land.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
You know, I always wanted to play this game, but my computer overheats to much and my internet is crap.

*sigh*, goodbye City of Heroes. You're the greatest game I'll never get to play. :(

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I played CoH for 6 months and it was great, the combat system and level up mechanics were far better than WoWs and made combat more fluid. The story was interesting and the party system worked well with the instance system.

PVP was garbage though and there was 0 end game, nothing at all but farming the same types of missions you played leveling up in order to get better upgrades and a couple small raid type missions with pretty much the same loot as the other missions and no one wanted to do them.

The character creation system was the best in any game EVER. I remember spending over an hour making a single character, perfecting every nuance of her costume to something i could say was an awesome retrostyled super villain. There used to be costume contests held by the rich end game players who wanted to help out and sponsor a player started event, Lady Gear won every contest she ever entered and after the 6th win was invited to a super group and asked to stop entering the contest because it wasn't fair to everyone else. ^_^

There was so much about the game that I loved but I became frustrated by the lack of people that wanted to group at end game due to everyone making a small group and then charging to run other people through the top level missions which i felt cheapened the game. I finally quit after they came out with the feature for players to make their own levels which then immediately became a tool for people to make the highest and easiest missions to farm exp in so they could speed level with little effort. It was the cockroach in my pudding, it instantly repelled me from the game and i never went back though i always though about trying it again when it went free, but i decided i preferred the CoH in my memory to anything that might of changed since it went F2P.

This makes me sad because its one more games that will disappear from the world, it makes me glad that people keep the PSO blue burst servers alive, atleast thats one great mmo that will continue on for atleast alittle while longer. Farewell CoH, despite your limitations and age, you beat the crap out of all super hero mmos that tried to replace you and will stand as a symbol of people caring about their game enough to keep working on it past the time the public went after the next shiny.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Well that's a kick in the balls; I've spend a good portion of the last eight years in and out of Paragon City.

Considering my last few MMOs were this, Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners and Auto Assault I should probably stay away from NCSoft for their own sake.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
This makes me sad. I am not a big fan of MMOs and although I've played many and all have disappointed me. City of Heroes was the only one that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. I started playing right at issue 1 and only quit when it went F2P simply because I had done everything that could be done in the game about a hundred times.
Hopefully they allow me to unlock inventions again so I can go back in and have one last hurrah with my characters. Ironically, I can't even buy access to them via the Paragon Market anymore to go back in and play for the last couple months.

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
I pre-ordered DC Universe Online before it came out because for years I'd wanted to play CoH but never had a computer strong enough to handle it. I kept saying 'Someday, eventually...' but looks like that's not gonna happen anymore.

Apr 28, 2008
Ken Sapp said:
Scarim Coral said:
Well I suppose it was a good thing I did try it once abliet it was months ago and not when it first came out. The game felt so plain that I uninstall it a day later.

I would of thought they made the ingame stuff sold in the shop free than to shut it down competely.
The problem with making the shop items free is that they would lose what revenue they are making off the game while still having to pay to keep servers online and pay staff to maintain the code and hardware. Not a very realistic expectation for a profit-driven company.
They did it for Tabula Rasa. Made it completely free for the last month or so. Even had a big ending event.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
As I've mentioned a few times on the boards here, I used to be a fairly hardcore raider in WoW - but WoW wasn't the only MMO I played. It was City of Heroes that got me onto the MMO scene.

I've more or less stopped playing MMOs for about a year now, and yet, a few months ago I was at a restaurant with someone I used to play both games with and I confessed that of all the MMOs I've tried over the years, CoH/CoV is the only one I'd really be happy to go back to.

I plan to make the most of what time I have left with City of Heroes, and make good on that confession. Its passing, while I always knew would be inevitable, is still one of my biggest disappointments so far as a gamer.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
damn, I just started last month!

well not really, but that would be terrible wouldn't it?

Superbun

Sep 8, 2010
Meh, I've been a subscriber to Champions Online for over 800 days, I went and played a little bit of CoH/V a while ago, didn't really see what the fuss was about, the combat was dull and the character creator had less options than the Champions Online. I Pre-Ordered DCUO when that came out, which was a big disappointment, it had the action-y combat which I guess was pretty cool, but the all important social aspect really wasn't there.

I've dabbled in a few MMOs, (WoW, EvE etc.) but the only one I've stuck with long enough to get a character to max level and that I keep coming back to is Champions.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Never played but it always saddens me when any games servers shut down. It's like a world being left behind :(

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well... it was a fun game at the time, but it really has not aged well and at this point it's not a big shock or a huge loss except to Paragon - sucks for them, they were certainly trying.

And for our nostalgia of course. Most of the comments I've seen elsewhere have been 'Wow, that sucks, I used to play this game so much five years ago!' And now you don't. I don't play it any more either. That's why it's shutting down.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
City Of Heroes was the first MMO I enjoyed, so much so I nearly played it exclusively as I'd find it difficult to detach myself from it long enough to enjoy other titles. I made a lot of friends, participated in a ton of costume contests, held a ton of give-aways, toppled every instance, max leveled, and even became a notable figure throughout my server. Even though it's been years since I played, It's somehow depressing to see it's closing down with so little reason as to why.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I played CoH/CoV for a couple of years, bringing both a hero (Defender) and a Villain (Brute) up to level 50. I enjoyed how they handled the development of characters and factions, and met some great people (and a few massive jerks, of course, but no dwelling on the bad.) And the costume/visual character design options were possibly the best I've ever seen anywhere.

CoH never really played nice with my move to a 64-bit OS, though, and I found myself less and less interested in booting into XP-32 to engage in grinding that seemed less and less like enjoyment and more and more like work.

Still, a little twinge at seeing the game that used to send out an actual monthly comic book to its subscribers. Maybe we'll see City 2 some day. All the best to Paragon Studios; excelsior, guys.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I only play 2 MMO's; City of Heroes and The Old Republic. Now City is shutting down all I have TOR, which doesn't seem long for this world either. Definitely not going back to World of Lamecraft.