NCSoft Unveils Ridiculously Pretty "Aion Visions"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
NCSoft Unveils Ridiculously Pretty "Aion Visions"

NCSoft has posted a video titled "Aion Visions" showcasing a hefty update to the game: Underwater combat, huge enemies, realistic weather effects, and a graphics update that makes the gorgeous game even gorgeous-er.

Oh sure, the official description as posted on YouTube sounds like someone ran a bunch of Korean text through Google Translate, but the video speaks for itself: NCSoft's Aion will (at some point) be receiving a fairly hefty update in the next few months, which adds several new features to the game. As seen in the trailer above, there will be new lands to explore and new monsters (including some massive desert worm-things), including underwater combat - but let's be honest. Does anyone actually like underwater combat in MMOs? Sure, it'll be nice to have characters that can actually swim, but underwater fighting is just a pain in the ass in any game I've ever played.

What's striking, though, is the visual updates shown in the video including a graphical overhaul. It probably looks more significant than it actually is, since it seems that it's more a change in how the game handles lighting instead of all-new textures and models, but it's still staggering. Aion was already one of the best-looking MMORPGs on the market, and just came out here in the West this September - and they're already updating the graphics to look even better?

Another cool touch is the addition of realistic weather effects. We see a snowfall that builds up on the ground and scenery over time, only to melt away once the sun comes out. I'm hoping it's a little more subtle (and slower) than the speed in the video, but it's still a great little feature that more games should have.

On the other hand, while it all looks very pretty, one wonders if it will do anything to fixing the games problems - quests that send you running all over the place, poor drop rates on "Collect 10 Whatever" quests, and an abundance of zones that don't actually allow you to fly like the game advertised.

On the other other hand, you get to ride a T-Rex and use it to attack monsters. So that might just be worth the trade-off.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
I...uh...wait...who...wait...huh!?!?

Someone pick up my eyeballs please. Also my jaw. Thank you.

CantFaketheFunk said:
On the other hand, while it all looks very pretty, one wonders if it will do anything to fixing the games problems - quests that send you running all over the place, poor drop rates on "Collect 10 Whatever" quests, and an abundance of zones that don't actually allow you to fly like the game advertised.
Actually, Aion is much better on the collection quests than WoW, that's what I hated about WoW. I mean, honestly, every creature has what the hell you want, but it just doesn't drop it. Same with Aion, but I was much more fortunate. But I agree with you on the running all over the place and the lack of flying.

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
I'll tell you this.
Maybe instead of a graphics update they should fix the Crysystems.dll problem, that would definitely be something that would make that game any good in my case.
2 months and they still haven't been able to fix something that is affecting a couple thousand players.
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/technical-discussion/72985-summary-crysystem-dll-crashes-why-doesnt-ncsoft-acknowledge-them-46.html
(If you're interested)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheFacelessOne said:
I...uh...wait...who...wait...huh!?!?

Someone pick up my eyeballs please. Also my jaw. Thank you.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Actually, Aion is much better on the collection quests than WoW, that's what I hated about WoW. I mean, honestly, every creature has what the hell you want, but it just doesn't drop it. Same with Aion, but I was much more fortunate. But I agree with you on the running all over the place and the lack of flying.
I dunno man. I've been playing Aion with my group, and the questing is PAINFUL a lot of the time. Maybe comparable to early WoW pre-BC, but the quality of quests in BC and WotLK blows Aion out of the water. If only because there aren't quite so many "Run here, okay, now go to the other side of Sanctum. Now go to ass-nowhere, okay, now back to Sanctum" chains.

jobobob

Oct 17, 2008
I need me a new graphics card and 15 bucks to renew now. But then I will probobly get bored of it again...

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
I wonder if one day someone will make a game with no gameplay other than just having wings and flying around for fun and sightseeing, this sort of thing makes me wonder

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
holy shit, that looks pretty awsome, hopefully when it comes out I dont have other games that require my attention since that looks like its good enough to get me to fire up my aion account again, I just hope they add some more quests since having to gring to lvl up sucks

Low Key

May 7, 2009
My computer cowers in fear from that game, and I bought it less than a year ago. It wouldn't even load the video properly :(

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I want this game even worse know.I've been aching for a new MMO after i quit WoW.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Zeldadudes said:
I'll tell you this.
Maybe instead of a graphics update they should fix the Crysystems.dll problem, that would definitely be something that would make that game any good in my case.
2 months and they still haven't been able to fix something that is affecting a couple thousand players.
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/technical-discussion/72985-summary-crysystem-dll-crashes-why-doesnt-ncsoft-acknowledge-them-46.html
(If you're interested)
If you have been playing you would know that the cryengine problems are pretty much non existent.

I am really excited about the release of this update. Considering that its been out in Korea for a year or so, I am hoping we wont have to wait all that long.

[edit] the engine problems were fixed in a patch over a week ago :D

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I dunno man. I've been playing Aion with my group, and the questing is PAINFUL a lot of the time. Maybe comparable to early WoW pre-BC, but the quality of quests in BC and WotLK blows Aion out of the water. If only because there aren't quite so many "Run here, okay, now go to the other side of Sanctum. Now go to ass-nowhere, okay, now back to Sanctum" chains.
Doesn't the pre-BC crappiness still effect new players and those under level 60?

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
I might just be going insane.... But it reminds me so much of the Ivalice worlds of Final Fantasy 12 / Tactics. Which is a good thing, just kinda amusing.

I want this game like hell, I don't even care about the monthly fee. This might be the only game I don't regret paying per month for other than Eve Online.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nimbus said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Doesn't the pre-BC crappiness still effect new players and those under level 60?
Yessir it certainly does. (And anyone going for Loremaster, too)

That's why we need Cataclysm, mang.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

I did that 10 day free trial of WotLK on my account pretty recently, and leveled my paladin from 44-56, my warrior from 60-63, a DK from 55-56 (I REALLY don't like their starting zone and I have no idea why cause everyone was raving about it, I just didn't enjoy it at all), a druid from 70-71 minus 1 exp (lol level capped), a mage from 1-14, and I have to say, the pre-BC crap is a LOT less noticeable than it was before. The only reason I stopped leveling my pally at 44 was because I got bored, but when they sped up leveling that really made a huge difference (in BC), however what I found was that the way you enjoy the content is HUGELY based on the class that you're playing. Additionally who you're playing with changes it a lot as well. Examples follow:

The paladin, I seriously enjoyed because it was ridiculously OP, I went into an AV specced ret at 52 and obliterated the killing blows chart, the damage chart and did well on the healing chart. I could pull 5-6 mobs in PvE without even taking a dent in my health or mana (yeah, super SUPER wicked for leveling), and I found myself soloing Zul'Farrak at 50 when I couldn't find a group, just cause I could. Then, I rolled a mage so I could play on the same server as a few high level friends. I got consistently bored with the amount of downtime involved in leveling a mage, I ran out of mana WAY too quickly at that low of level, and without relics to speed up my experience gains, I found it too much a challenge to even make it to 20 for a mount. That was another important aspect of leveling that's really improved in the pre-BC areas of WoW, the mount change. It's wicked to be pounding around on an epic at 40 instead of 60, and a mount instead of none at 20.

The warrior I WAS enjoying because it was decked out in full tier 1 epics, and I could literally charge in to hellfire ramps/blood furnace and just cleave the crap out of stuff/aoe tank while my healer didn't even dent his mana. However this was dependent on the group, i noticed that the second time I ran stuff having to rely on crappy dps that failed at focus targeting was really not worth my time. In addition our arcane specced mage would cast slow to pull random groups of mobs while we were already fighting big enough pulls. Nobody ever died, but the fact still stood that it was just annoying when you're constantly dealing with bad players.

/rant

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
It doesn't look THAT Pret... wait, thats an MMO?! Ok that's different..

But will it play as nice as it looks? It looks.. quite unappealing to me.. but I guess thats taste.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
snuffler said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

I did that 10 day free trial of WotLK on my account pretty recently, and leveled my paladin from 44-56, my warrior from 60-63, a DK from 55-56 (I REALLY don't like their starting zone and I have no idea why cause everyone was raving about it, I just didn't enjoy it at all), a druid from 70-71 minus 1 exp (lol level capped), a mage from 1-14, and I have to say, the pre-BC crap is a LOT less noticeable than it was before. The only reason I stopped leveling my pally at 44 was because I got bored, but when they sped up leveling that really made a huge difference (in BC), however what I found was that the way you enjoy the content is HUGELY based on the class that you're playing. Additionally who you're playing with changes it a lot as well. Examples follow:

The paladin, I seriously enjoyed because it was ridiculously OP, I went into an AV specced ret at 52 and obliterated the killing blows chart, the damage chart and did well on the healing chart. I could pull 5-6 mobs in PvE without even taking a dent in my health or mana (yeah, super SUPER wicked for leveling), and I found myself soloing Zul'Farrak at 50 when I couldn't find a group, just cause I could. Then, I rolled a mage so I could play on the same server as a few high level friends. I got consistently bored with the amount of downtime involved in leveling a mage, I ran out of mana WAY too quickly at that low of level, and without relics to speed up my experience gains, I found it too much a challenge to even make it to 20 for a mount. That was another important aspect of leveling that's really improved in the pre-BC areas of WoW, the mount change. It's wicked to be pounding around on an epic at 40 instead of 60, and a mount instead of none at 20.

The warrior I WAS enjoying because it was decked out in full tier 1 epics, and I could literally charge in to hellfire ramps/blood furnace and just cleave the crap out of stuff/aoe tank while my healer didn't even dent his mana. However this was dependent on the group, i noticed that the second time I ran stuff having to rely on crappy dps that failed at focus targeting was really not worth my time. In addition our arcane specced mage would cast slow to pull random groups of mobs while we were already fighting big enough pulls. Nobody ever died, but the fact still stood that it was just annoying when you're constantly dealing with bad players.

/rant
Which zone, Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord? And Horde or Alliance?

And it doesn't make as much of a difference when you're leveling, but when you go back to purposefully do all the quests for the title, it's agonizing.