Near death situations in video games that you got out alive

El Cazador

Dec 30, 2014
I think almost all of us had that moment in video games when we were low on health and surrounded by enemies but got out alive...barely... By luck or by tactics. You can share those moments with others...
I'll start.

It was the first time I saw this boss and I was low on healing items (Estus flask). It began to clone itself. They threw fireballs at me, till I find myself without any Estus flask to heal. The room was full of clones. I had half of my health remaining but the boss had 3/4 of its. So as a last ditch effort, I charge in to one of them and by luck, it was the boss itself! So I turned it to pieces with my Zweihander... At the end of the fight, I had less than 1/4 of my health.

small

Aug 5, 2014
world of tanks. glancing up at the team list and realising im the only one left vs 7 of the enemy and im half dead.

i became death destroyer of tanks, picked them off one at a time because they wouldnt rush me together :D i ended up with 11 kills that battles

Blackhawk661

Nov 18, 2014
Dark Souls Gwyn
After the 50th time I tried to kill him (yes, and they say it's the easiest boss fight ;(), with 10% of my health, in the final moment of despair, I pulled a parry and I finally killed him. I was overpowered by joy :DDD

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I still love MW2 for this very reason. Speaking of, I just figured out what I want to do for the next 3 hours. This also describes basically every boss fight when i finally won on my Dragon Age Nightmare run.

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
While farming Apexis Shards in the Iron Siegeworks I ran into two footsoldiers and one of whatever those big cannons are called. It pistoned me into another two mobs and I though me and my bodyguard Vivian were going to die.

I still have no idea how we survived that, but right then and there, standing over the corpses of a small platoon of mobs, I felt ready for Heroic dungeons.

But I still can't beat the Silver Proving Grounds for healing...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
spartan231490 said:
I still love MW2 for this very reason.
Me too. I remember a match on Skidrow that I got flashbanged and shot up while entering the chokepoint room (where the forklift resides) and went knife crazy expecting to die but instead took out the whole team somehow and after the flash cleared tossed a throwing knife by total accident and got the final kill. Man were people mad.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I watched my brother take on the two darknuts simultaneously at the end of Ocarina of Time with 1/4 of a heart left.

He beat them both. I couldn't believe it.

Ruuvan

Nublet
May 26, 2009
Rome 2: Total War

It was defending a town (no walls) but defensive sieges always seem to be a lot easier than assaults.

Anyway! It was an attacking force of 2000+ against my 400 or so (plus the crappy garrison units), and most of my army were mounted, so not exactly "shield wall" material and I didn't want to dismount.

So they all come piling in, I plug the gaps with pretty much one unit (EDIT: One garrison unit this is) on each entry point. They are getting battered and thinning out, the enemy warriors almost breaking through the shields and breaking the unit entirely. Then the cavalry which I sent marching out the opposite side to the attack make an appearance. I've got them all lined up, wedge formation, behind the enemy units about to claim victory. With a roar the heavy legionary cavalry charge forwards, breaking the enemy formations (what there was of them) and hacking away with impunity. These units rally nearby soldiers so the holding forces are able to assist and the enemy is crushed.

Love it.

BlackBark

Apr 8, 2010
The one I still remember vividly, even though it happened quite a long time ago was my battle with the Star Magician in Golden Sun: The Lost Age. If you are unfamiliar with the games, they are an awesome series of jrpgs; The Star Magician is one of the four optional boss fights and although it isn't the toughest, it was the closest fight I've had in Golden Sun (I never did manage to beat Dullahan). You can skip to the last paragraph for the short version.

I went into the fight without knowing anything about the enemy. It turns he was a relatively powerful enemy by himself, but he also had the ability to summon four magic helper balls with various abilities. If any ball were destroyed, the Magician would quickly summon more to replace them. Their abilities ranged from providing the Magician with healing and huge defense boosts to blasting all my party members with high level magic attacks. I quickly found out that their defense and healing powers were too strong and slowed my attack, so I was forced to keep destroying the balls until they were all replaced with damage dealing ones. This meant I took huge amounts of damage most turns, but now my attack was unhindered. I focused all of my attacks on the Magician alone; I couldn't risk having a destroyed ball being replaced by a healing one.

The battle was long and both sides took major damage. I kept taking casualties and my attempts to revive them for long periods of time continued to fail due to the massive incoming attacks every turn. I soon realised that in a battle of attrition, I was the only one who could lose. From this conclusion, I decided to go on a major offensive, ignoring revival. I needed to keep up the damage no matter what, my healers could only draw out the battle for so long. After this increase in attack, the Magician didn't last too long, but by the time he was defeated, I had lost most of my party. I had hoped that defeating the Magician would cause the balls to die too, but no such luck. 4 lightning balls remained, which meant 4 spark plasma attacks per turn; they took their toll and soon I was down to just Mia and Garet (both of whom I didn't use much). However, the balls didn't have much HP left either, I'd learnt their approximate HP from killing so many of them already; I only needed a few turns.

Perhaps two turns later, Mia's healing could no longer keep up with the damage and she fell. A badly beaten Garet was the only one standing. This was the last attack, there was no way Garet could survive even one more spark plasma, let alone four. One last attack, one last chance. How much HP did they have left? Surely they must be close to death by now. Would this be enough, or would I have to go through the whole battle again?

Well, long story short, I beat the Star Magician by the skin of my teeth, the very last possible attack finished off those dirty purple lightning balls, and Garet actually managed to do something good for a change.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Left 4 Dead 2, expert difficulty. You move slower when your health is below 40 and extra slow when it's at 1. If you're knocked down (incapacitated) twice and don't heal up the next knock down is fatal.

I JUST finished a game where I was knocked down by a tank's projectile on my way to the helicopter evac. My buddy picks me up using adrenaline, cos it works extra fast. In the meanwhile, I watch the tank picking up another rock. Just as I am on my feet, he gets hit by the rock. Another friend helps him up and we slowly shuffle to the helicopter at the end of Dark Carnival. Zombies coming closer, they surround one of the players and kill him as the three of us fall into the chopper and escape.

In an earlier chapter, we had to run the roller coaster. I was knocked down twice and made it into the saferoom black and white. One more knock down and I was dead. Everything from your shoulders to your anus tenses up with every step closer to the saferoom, hoping there isn't a special infected waiting to grab you or some zombie trying to get in a lucky swipe.

Many "HOOOOLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIT" moments in Left 4 Dead 2 :p

Ygrez

Oct 6, 2009
Dragon Quest 7 on PS1

Don't remember where exactly in the game, it's been years since it happened, but I think it was in a crypt of some sort.

Anyways, here's what happened. I managed to get to the boss at the end of the area and ran out of healing items and mana mid-fight. One party member went down, then another... my last living character is slowly going down in health when he ends up with 1 HP. With nothing to lose, I use a low hit chance attack with high damage and a guaranteed crit if it does hit...

It hits and kills the boss! But then I'm in the deepest part of the dungeon with 1 health left on 1 character. I use a monster repel item but it runs out about halfway out. Encounter a few monster groups but manage to run away before they can attack. And then the run away fails, but somehow, the character manages to dodge, not 1, not 2, but 3 attacks in a row and successfully runs away on the next turn. I finally get out of the dungeon and TP back to town.

Never been so close to death and survived in any other game since!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Too many to count honestly.

Ones i remember like way, way back in the day when i was playing Resistance 2 multiplayer and i got a 12 kill streak with the shotgun in less than a minuite.

A number of times in Planetside 2 where i had little health, no shields, no medkits and a gun half empty and i still held out until my friends respawned and got back.

And near death experiences are a dime a dozen in Warframe. And playing the current high level Archwing content is a perpetual near death experience due to the batshit amount of damage that Hellion missiles will do to you.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
I was playing Dota 2 yesterday as Brewmaster when I got ganked mid by Invoker (who I was laning against), Lina, and Lion. Lion snuck up on me with an invis rune and stunned me, followed up by Lina's Light Strake Array and then Invokers cold snap. I was mashing R when, just as Lina casted Laguna Blade, I successfully cast my Primal Split. I tossed Invoker into the air and then used Boulder on Lion, who was taking tower damage. I killed him, and then moved onto Lina. She was running away, but stupidly decided to turn and cast Dragon Slave, allowing me enough time to throw another boulder and kill her. Our Nature's Prophet saw what was happening and TP'd in, then trapped Invoker. He managed to survive long enough to use Ghost Walk, but when Primal Split ended, I just cast Thunder Clap and killed him. Triple kill for me, at 310 hp.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
This one sticks in my head...

Second time playing CS:GO. I went straight to competitive. As counter-terrorist, We handled things fairly well, but when I went to the terrorist side, I didn't know that side of the map. No idea what was up. Pistol round, I just had the cheapy glock. My team died, the bomb was down in the apartments on the right side of the map. The timer was ticking down and there were two CT's left, one with the desert eagle, and the other with the 5-7. As all of you may or may not note... I was up shit creek, and that bomb had to be planted, or those two assholes had to be killed within the time limit, or we lost. If I lost and survived, my cash would be gimped.

It was probably blind luck, but as I tried to sneak over there, they knew I was coming. Dodging in and out of cover, and mostly just suppressing them to hopefully get a few lucky shots in, the guy with the 5-7 hit me once or twice, but with the shittiest possible gun in the game, I managed to score a few headshots. Seconds left in the round. We won it.

Keep in mind, one shot with that desert eagle would be enough to kill me. I figure two shots with the 5-7 center mass would also be enough to kill. Apparently not. >:3

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Far Cry 2. I had been sent to blow up a weapons cache, and had worked my way stealthily through the camp and could see the weapons I needed to blow up. It was just then that I realized that I had only eight bullets left in my pistol, two grenades in my launcher, and that my assault rifle was permanently jammed. That alone was annoying, but out of nowhere, two jeeps full of rival militants show up and start shooting the people guarding the weapons cache, catching me in the crossfire, down to my last legs. So I made a snap decision.

I launched a grenade at the cache to destroy it, but before I could confirm it exploded, I made a mad dash through a crowded campsite, four dudes just stunned at what was happening, and jumped up on top of a low hut made of sheet metal. As I jumped, I tried to launch my last grenade at the campers, but it bounced right past them... and into the hut I was jumping up to. A moment later, it explodes, destroying the hut with me standing on the roof, sending it flying across the land, depositing me a good distance away from the camp, injured but alive. I proceeded to disappear into the jungle as the quest updated telling me the cache was destroyed.

It was the most Rambo thing I've ever done in any game ever and I don't think I'll ever do anything like that again. Except that one time I managed to defeat a tank solo on expert with friggin pistols but I'm still not entirely sure that really happened.

Razuli

Feb 26, 2013
In the first Dawn of War I was in a 3v3 game with holding critical points being a victory condition. I was playing as the eldar, and I don't remember who my allies were. One disconnected early in the match and never returned, the other got destroyed by my opponents due to how the map was set up (the map and three bases on each side of the map, but for whatever reason the middle base on each side was an enemy base and not allied, so we both wiped out one of our enemies early. The one on our side of the map didn't had spent too many resources building base defences before the guy Dissconnected that I was able to run in and wipe him out with little trouble). I had rushed and grabbed all three critical points on the map early and had built webway gates at two of them, I'm not entirely sure they realized critical points were an objective since most matches seemed to be flat out death matches.

What ended up happening was I had placed all of my tanks + my avatar at the one without a webway gate and had all of my infantry hiding inside the webway while turtling my base with as many turrets as I could build. The Infantry force would jump out of the webway gates and attack whoever tried to capture the critical points, or defend my base with the aide of turrets from my webway gates there, while my tanks protected one of the points. By the time they seriously attacked the critical points I had less than a minute left on the victory condition.

By entering and retreating I was able to hold their forces off two points long enough for me to win (they eventually overran the one farthest from my base) which is my proud story of how I beat a 2v1.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
in a early version of pokemon

About to face the champion. no healing items or revives. only my garados left alive.
Accidental saved there so now i am stuck. managed to take down the champs entire team and win.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I was facing the last boss of Final Fantasy 9. It was my first attempt (and I might've been under-leveled), but it was looking pretty grim with 3 characters down, including both my healers. My last character held on with LITERALLY 1 HP, and on his turn dealt the final blow. Zidane with the clutch, omg that crazy fucker! I knew there was a reason he was my favourite FF protagonist.