Need help finding a gift to comfort my depressed girlfriend.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Im not an expert on relationships, but it seems to me that the best thing you can do is something that will help cement your relationship. For one, a strong healthy relationship will help to fill the void, and it will make the absence of her mother less brutal. Also, it seems that you care a lot, so you are probably good for her. The last thing she needs is to start a relationship with someone else who doesn't care about her feelings.

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
Reminding her of her mother is not a problem. She really likes to talk and laugh about stuff her mom used to do, or things she used to say. She doesn't get upset the second she hears the word mom. I bring up things she's told me about her mom all the time. We have plenty of inside jokes that stem from something her mom said, and they always make her smile. So something literally involving the memory of her mom wouldn't be as bad as it seems like it might be. Believe me, I thought of this too.

That being said, if I did get her something like that, I wouldn't give it to her randomly. I'd probably keep it around my apartment and when one of those nights occur where she's sleeping over and we get talking about her mom and family a lot, I'd give it to her. I'm not going to pick her up from work someday and hand her a picture of her mom, that would be weird. I know I said I wanted to give it to her in two days when I pick her up from the airport, but I don't have to do it then. She'd probably be too tired from the flight anyway. I'm thinking the time away did her good and hopefully she comes back in better spirits.

I am however going to cook her favorite food and borrow her dog from her sister's place and have him greet her at the door when she walks into my apartment. But I cook for her all the time, so I kinda want to do something else.

I know it's hard for you guys to know since you don't know her at all and only a few people in the world know her as well as I do, but she is highly unlikely to get offended by a gift I gave her unless it was intentionally mean spirited (which I would never do). I could make the most bonehead move in the world or give her a very unintentionally offensive gift and she wouldn't get upset because she knows that I would've meant well.

I'll keep thinking for a week or two and see how she's doing. Better than rushing something.

Suggestions still are needed though. :) Thanks for the help so far.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
cunnilingus.
/joke answer (but try it...)

TheVioletBandit said:
This is going to sound a little weird, but stay with me and try to be open minded about it.

Get her a pet chicken!

Chickens make great pets, people swear by them. They are really loving and social animals. Plus their like funny little dinosaurs, and will always be doing stuff that will make you laugh. Also they love to sit in your lap and be petted, and their easy to care for. \

If your interested I suggest watching the film The Natural History of the Chicken or just Googleing pet chicken and reading about them.

Tell me what you think about this idea as I would be curious to know.
yeah, get her a chicken!
i want one now.

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
Don't over think it, she doesn't need a reminder of what she lossed she needs a reminder of what she has to drag her out of this.

Get her a nice stuffed friend or something. Something that shows her that you love her. Like this

Cute, fuzzy, with big eyes always works for me.
Interesting thing about those penguins is if you hold the head and pivot it around the neck, the eyes seem to follow you. Creepy as fuck.

Also I like the grave idea, it will probably make her feel a lot closer to her mother, at least for one day. And I am sure plenty of memories will come flooding back that will stick with her for a life time.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
My brain is telling me to tell you to get her things that'll ban me from here so fast that I'll have better luck making it to the moon while moon walking. But my heart is telling me to tell you to get her a di- scratch that, I'll tell you to get her some nice chocolates.