Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Asuka

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Was Kare Kano one of their side projects? I remember hearing excellent things about it.
Nope, that was a Gainax/J.C. Staff co production back in '98.
It's not even that, it's about making babies.
That's not terribly fair, it's also a thuddingly obvious metaphor for the rather callous way Japanese society puts the needs of the old ahead of the needs of the young and demands a level of conformity which has a negative impact on those that don't fit in. (IE the same message as everything Trigger makes) It's really, really stupid but being really, really stupid is not actually a barrier to being good as long as the work can form an emotional connection to the audience, which brings us back to Eva which is also really, really stupid but occasionally manages to cross over into being profound.
The characters are likeable, the music is great, and it's pretty damn funny too. Things take a major dip near the end though. There's also a moment where one of the high school girls (16 years old) casually mentions she's dating a 28-year old dentist, which... fucking yikes.
I've been watching Cardcaptor Sakura recently and this brings to mind the bit where it turns out that her father married her mother while he was still her schoolteacher and it's treated like a perfectly acceptable thing in this series squarely aimed at nine year old girls. That kind of thing and weird fanservice turning up in otherwise innocent series is always a massive immersion breaker for me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been watching Cardcaptor Sakura recently and this brings to mind the bit where it turns out that her father married her mother while he was still her schoolteacher and it's treated like a perfectly acceptable thing in this series squarely aimed at nine year old girls. That kind of thing and weird fanservice turning up in otherwise innocent series is always a massive immersion breaker for me.
You also had Onizuka from Great Teacher Onizuka, who is, what, 22 at the time, perving on 14 to 16 year olds, and harboring a desire to marry a high school girl so he can have a young wife when he's 50 years old. I know it's played as a pervy joke, but anime/manga REALLY seem enjoy this kind of comedic material.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nope, that was a Gainax/J.C. Staff co production back in '98.

That's not terribly fair, it's also a thuddingly obvious metaphor for the rather callous way Japanese society puts the needs of the old ahead of the needs of the young and demands a level of conformity which has a negative impact on those that don't fit in. (IE the same message as everything Trigger makes) It's really, really stupid but being really, really stupid is not actually a barrier to being good as long as the work can form an emotional connection to the audience, which brings us back to Eva which is also really, really stupid but occasionally manages to cross over into being profound.

I remember Cardcaptors on TV years ago but my recollection was that Sakura’s parents met when her mother was at university and he was one of her professors. Was that a change made for the dub or is my memory faulty?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I too wouldn’t mind seeing that addressed.
Sadly, my guess is that she was absorbed by Unit 01's consciousness and just disappeared.

They ended 3.00 on yet another Rei finding her own individuality so I doubt they'd have two of basically the same characters :(

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Oh hey, this shit's finally coming out soon. Anybody even care anymore, other than people selling merch?
Oh, I certainly do, because I can't wait for the levels of mass of ass that movie's gonna be. I see no scenario where it comes out as anything other than blisteringly, hilariously pretentious and awful. Part of my brain wants to believe that Anno's been trolling with these movies the entire time, what with there having now been a longer time between the release of the 1st and 4th movie than the original series and the first movie, and also longer than it took for the whole first 3 movies to release than it's been between the releases of the 3rd and 4th movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan