Neon Genesis Evangelion

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Grahav said:
Well, they are crazy bitches and you feel all the pain the robot feels in battle.

Could work well for a sadomasochist.
you smash a building and your arm gets blown to pieces inside it? ouch.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Metallgoth said:
These are but a few of the reasons why I avoid Anime with a passion. I have watched the first incarnation of Full Metal Alchemist, and I have watched Deathnote. The only reason I did was because a friend wouldn't shut up about them. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed both. Otherwise, what I have seen of other Anime makes me not want to watch any of them.
Paranoia Agent, by the late Satoshi Kon. You've never seen anything quite like it, anime or otherwise.

Honestly, the message of it was life-changing for me.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Wow, the fans of this show are quite butthurt.

I tried to watch this show, but man is it f-ing boring. Its why the game Catherine sucked ass. 90% of the population can't sit through a story with an unlikeable and idiotic protagonist. Who do we cheer for? Do we ignore everything and just watch the pretty robot fights? Its all stupid if you ask me.

There are better shows for robot battles that don't take themselves so ridiculously serious and don't have random sexual encounters that would never happen in real life ever. I think its another case of japan just being f-g weird. And not in the good way.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The Great JT said:
All I will say is Giant Robot + Hot Chicks = Dad gets free pass to be distant and a dick.
throw in a unicorn and he can be evil.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I'm pretty certain he's meant to be gay, right? That's what I got from watching the show. He likes the dick. Or maybe his dad is just an asshole and nothing he does for him will make up for how he actually feels about him. And also the giant robot is actually a living entity that causes its drivers to go insane and shit. And also the giant robot has to fight off the deadliest creatures in the universe and barely manages to do so. And also that most of those hot women turn out to be either aliens or psychopaths.

But, he is gay, right? Right?? I have all this fanfiction y'see and... I mean, right?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Why do so many people confuse "lack of any useful info" with "deep"?

Evangelion is just a lil bit deeper than Pokemon. Confusion and lack of clarification isn't equal depth.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm pretty certain he's meant to be gay, right? That's what I got from watching the show. He likes the dick. Or maybe his dad is just an asshole and nothing he does for him will make up for how he actually feels about him. And also the giant robot is actually a living entity that causes its drivers to go insane and shit. And also the giant robot has to fight off the deadliest creatures in the universe and barely manages to do so. And also that most of those hot women turn out to be either aliens or psychopaths.
You know, I won't lie, its an interesting idea that perhaps the one of the reasons Shinji feels so threatened by Misato and Asuka, who are very sexual beings, is that he is indeed gay and is really off put by their advances.

Well, fanfiction aside that is :p

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
You know, I won't lie, its an interesting idea that perhaps the one of the reasons Shinji feels so threatened by Misato and Asuka, who are very sexual beings, is that he is indeed gay and is really off put by their advances.

Well, fanfiction aside that is :p
It would also explain his ill feeling towards his dad who expects him to be someone he doesn't feel comfortable being. See, there's traction to that theory. Plus, every monster in Evangelion is phallic to some degree - except for the very last one, with which almost destroys the entire Earth: a giant, naked woman. Hmmm? What might that represent?? HMMM??

A THEORY IS FORMING.

BiH-Kira said:
Why do so many people confuse "lack of any useful info" with "deep"?

Evangelion is just a lil bit deeper than Pokemon. Confusion and lack of clarification isn't equal depth.
Well, it's deep in the same way a Miyazaki film, or a Hideo Kojima game, is. It's a got a simple plot and a decent cast and such, but it's very much the subject of its creator's mind and comes attached with all these strings and images and imagery and symbolism and all that which very much constitutes it as something of an "art". Deepness does, you know, become relevant by digging under the surface, right? Surface value is confusion. Digging deeper... well, more confusion, but eventually you get to the core and you know there's a story being told that wants to be told. As an artistic person, I always try to hide the "deepness" of a story... deep. You know, layer it. Straightforward story. Muddy it a little. Muddy it some more. Bury deepness under layers of mud and everyone gets their hands dirty and this is an awful analogy so I'll stop typing now

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
The Lugz said:
Grahav said:
Well, they are crazy bitches and you feel all the pain the robot feels in battle.

Could work well for a sadomasochist.
you smash a building and your arm gets blown to pieces inside it? ouch.
Ah, no. You just feel the pain, the arm stays in place. No fun dying from blood loss, and organ failure when you can die from overwhelming PAIN!

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Wow I think I love you. This show never made any seance and people would always say how deep it was, but frankly I think they were full of it.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I recently rewatched all of Evangelion and from the very first ep, in fact the first sentence out of Shinji Ikari mouth was whinny // When you take a step back and look at the series this way, yes Gendo is a pretty cool dad // I think Shinji just had too may mummy issues to fully enjoy himself, as well as bang those hot chicks

-M

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
ShaqLevick said:
Oh my god, exactly! I didn't get it either... That kid was just so ungrateful I stopped watching!
It wasn't really his ingratitude that got to me, but how whiny he was about it. I assume it's a cultural thing, since I've seen essentially the same behavior from young men in other animes. I'm not sure if he ever gets over it or not; like you, his attitude was so annoying I couldn't continue the series.

Jan 22, 2011
I understand why so many people hate shinji I really do, however he was probably on of the few anime characters I actually connected with when I was younger. I know that feeling of being all alone or needing to find trust in people in order to build relationships and grow. Moving that aside even ef you don't want to watch the t.v. series at least watch the two movies a chance because of the complete 180 turn around.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
I understand why so many people hate shinji I really do, however he was probably on of the few anime characters I actually connected with when I was younger. I know that feeling of being all alone or needing to find trust in people in order to build relationships and grow. Moving that aside even ef you don't want to watch the t.v. series at least watch the two movies a chance because of the complete 180 turn around.
I just saw that movie a bit ago. I also saw the show years ago. So far I think I like the movies better, but I'll see when I see the last one. I don't suppose anyone has any idea when that will be? Is it already out, or still being made? Hope I get to see what happens.

Also, I believe this comic was made to get people talking about NGE, and make funny jokes. It succeed. :)

Jan 22, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
I just saw that movie a bit ago. I also saw the show years ago. So far I think I like the movies better, but I'll see when I see the last one. I don't suppose anyone has any idea when that will be? Is it already out, or still being made? Hope I get to see what happens.

Also, I believe this comic was made to get people talking about NGE, and make funny jokes. It succeed. :)
the third movie should be out this fall or winter in theaters in japan. Then it will take around 4 months to get a dvd/bluray release in japan but this won't stop spoilers from being leaked all over the net. Now I'll be honest I loved the joke of gendo being the best dad ever don't get wrong, I'm just saying not all of the franchise is sh**.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Imp Emissary said:

the third movie should be out this fall or winter in theaters in japan. Then it will take around 4 months to get a dvd/bluray release in japan but this won't stop spoilers from being leaked all over the net. Now I'll be honest I loved the joke of gendo being the best dad ever don't get wrong, I'm just saying not all of the franchise is sh**.
Ah. So I won't be waiting too long then. Cool.

As for the franchise, I think its problem was balancing the story with the message at the end. You know, they wanted to say (I think) that depression will make you want to just give up and if you do you&the people around you will suffer for it, but if you can overcome all that then you can make things better. At least I think that's the point they were going for. As I said they were balancing the message with the story, but at the end I think they decided to focus more on just getting the message across, and kind of dropped the ball on the stories conclusion. That's my take on it anyway.

However, like I said, I'm liking the movies better so far, because they seem to be trying more with the story, and that seems to make the message more clear as well. I suppose I will just have to wait and see. I believe that it will at least be interesting.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
acosn said:
No, he's just not likeable.

In all reality getting chucked into a giant robot that grants a 13 year old huge amounts of power provided he fights terrifying robots from god knows where would probably make you a jaded ***** too.

Oh, and you feel everything Mr. bot does too. So when your arm gets ripped off? Yeah. Ow.

The first thing you need to realize is that at some level Evangellion is trying to be a deconstruction (yes, its being used loosely here) of the mecha genre. Of all the things it chose to focus on, its the idea that the "average kid thrown into unusual situation" trope isn't done wrong, but the idea that the kid is going to both be completely well-adjusted to society, and maintaining it is beyond odd. Especially when you start building coincidence on coincidence.

The second thing you need to realize is that the crap about "not running away" is actually a very common trope in Japanese anime and over story mediums. No, it wasn't spoon fed to you, and the west has another way of looking at it (was it Dumbledore who talked about doing what's right, versus what's easy?) but the idea is that you have obligations and expectations, and the attempt to abandon them is catastrophic, and not just for you. The flip side of it is that sometimes you have to do some pretty crazy shit. Like piloting giant robots.
Sorry if I sound ignorant about NGE. I haven't watched the series in, like, years. My memory is a bit hazy on it.

Also, tbh... I think I slept through some of the later episodes where there were just long pauses of nothingness.