Neon Genesis Evangelion

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I fucking HATE Shinji.
He epitomizes everything I loathe with the Japanese 'everyguy' protagonist.
Just the thought of him is enough to make me froth.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Do any of you consider this comic sexist? My friend says it is, which I can't really dispute after reading the content, but it seems so only on a superficial basis to me.

sequio

Dec 15, 2007
lol pretty much evangelion in a nutshell. saw it when i was around 11, felt bad man. Post puberty, i look back and think the only way i related to the mc shinji was feeling powerless as a prepubescent youth. no longer feeling powerless and can't relate to the mc. rewatched it some years ago and thought it was boring.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
You watch Evangelion and think "You know, I kind of remember being in a situation kind of like this with a girl. It was immediately followed by lots of gratifying sex. When people are attracted to each-other and feel urges, they follow them. Now sup up and fuck."
Yes, insane gratifying sex when you were 14 with girls who were also 14.....fucking pull the other one sunshine :p

Although the show could have been vastly improved with that little mental train of Shinji's taking him to The Rock of Eternity, that shit would livened up the endgame a bit :p

Thankfully, Rebuild has our back and a better product is now on offer.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
And then everybody died and turned to orange mush...

Did i mention all of this happened on a rotting corpse the size of a planet?

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
As much as I enjoyed Evangelion (apart from the appalling ending, which was kind of fixed with the films), this can not be argued with. It gets it spot on. Bravo!

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Only watched a few episodes of it so far (I have a unreasonably long watch list) but I think we can pretty much discount the giant robot. It may seem cool but that doesn't mean fighting massive alien monstrosities is going to be fun. Plus the whole you feel its pain thing would be awful. Besides I can find alot of soldiers with PTSD who will confirm that getting to pilot cool tech doesn't make up for constantly being attacked, nearly killed, injured, and generally going through the horrors of war. If we think about the giant robot in the terms of a tank that transmits pain to you, it becomes clear Shinji is more being made into a child soldier than getting a gift.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Devoneaux said:
Marik Bentusi said:
Yeah, that's Evangelion if you leave out

aaaall the character relationships, personalities and psychological issues.

Just those little things, y'know. That little "Deconstruction" thing the show had going on.
14 year olds aren't known for being filled with existential angst. That's more of a late late teens/early twenties thing.
It's waaay more common than you think (especially in Japan where school is much more srs bsns than in the West, to the point of raising suicide rates because of school-related issues dramatically), and the backstories of all characters covered their behaviorisms.

Seriously, give kids more credit than that. When I was 13 and joined babby's first boards I was constantly mistaken for being 18 by the likes of you.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Phoenix09215 said:
As much as I enjoyed Evangelion (apart from the appalling ending, which was kind of fixed with the films), this can not be argued with. It gets it spot on. Bravo!
Except of course that it doesn't get it spot on at all. Gendo was a dick man.

Neocavo

Feb 19, 2011
Just face palmed so hard..read a few comments on here and in the comment section for the strip...

i watched evangelion back when it was first released and ive rewatched the re-releases and the reboot and ive read the OTHER rebooted manga series

ok fan boys you wanna rage about something..go jump on the devil may cry wagon...as far as im concerned thats fair game..new dante looks like a fagot and the nero relationship with dante and virgil needs to be fleshed out......

but a comic strip, written from the perspective of most people looking at evangelion for the first time is not worth raging over...we as fans know what all the subtle messages are...but for people either A. watching the reboot or B. just watching the mecha fights...this strip is legitimately what goes through their head

Mar 28, 2011
Love everything about the show, including the two different endings. The subtle hints as to what is *actually* going on in the Rebuild movies are genuinely mind blowing.

OT; love the strip. Long known that this strip required a sense of humour about things i love.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I think that in the end, Gendo really ended up caring more about his daughter, Lizzie. [http://lparchive.org/Princess-Maker-2/Update%202/]
Slightly more OT: Always wanted to watch this, but then I heard that the protagonist has a wank over some girl in a coma.
Nope.
and this is why I can never get into anime. They can get so close to brilliance, but they seem to always ruin it by being so gratuitously weird for no reason. I mean damn it, I know a lot of anime shows have so many good things going for them, but why do the protagonists always have to be so fucking creepy? You can make your story as deep and rich as you want, but if your going to try and make me root for the guy who would have a wank over a girl who's in a coma... just no. Get that shit the fuck outta here! Don't tell me there are actually so many people out there who can really relate to that sort of personality?

Harold Hansen

Oct 6, 2011
The last frame in this strip depicts the point at which, during the first episode of this show I ever watched. I switched it off. I can't bear to watch protagonists like this because they don't deserve the role.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
Do any of you consider this comic sexist? My friend says it is, which I can't really dispute after reading the content, but it seems so only on a superficial basis to me.
It's a male power fantasy, no way for it to not be sexist :)