NetherRealm Reveals First DLC Fighter For Injustice

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
NetherRealm Reveals First DLC Fighter For Injustice

With Injustice: Gods Among Us now on store shelves, NetherRealm Studios is planning to roll out new downloadable fighters for the title. First on deck? A grumpy bounty hunter straight outta the 1990s.

Hopefully those of you with any interest in fighting games or comic books have already picked up Injustice: Gods Among Us. Not only is the game a great comic book adaptation, but it's also one of the top fighters of this generation - and may well be the best virtual fisticuffs simulator to ever come from the developers of Mortal Kombat. With that established, it's time to look toward the game's future, specifically toward what the future holds for the game's roster.

Game Informer recently published an interview with NetherRealm Studios creative director Ed Boon, in which the Mortal Kombat co-creator reveals what comes next for the game. Most crucially, Boon names the first DLC fighter for Injustice, a lovable superpowered space biker known simply as "Lobo." Those of you who aren't up on your DC Comics lore may know Lobo from sporadic appearances in various DC Animated television programs. If not, the key thing you need know about the character is that he's super-strong, nigh-invulnerable, and features all of the aesthetic and characterization hallmarks of a comic book character created during an era in which Rob Liefeld was considered a brilliant artist.

Continuing, Boon discusses NetherRealm's plans for expanding Injustice beyond the four DLC fighters the firm has publicly revealed are in store for the title. Unfortunately, there isn't much to tell. "There are currently no plans to add new stages for DLC," Boon states. "We are going to have at least four characters."

"Beyond the four, there isn't anything we can announce. I certainly don't think I can safely say that it's four and only four. The DLC characters for Mortal Kombat exceeded everybody's expectations. I suppose there is a certain point in time where we can say that there won't be more. I don't think we'll be releasing DLC characters two years from now. At some point, we've got to jump on our next game."

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, fans of that game will remember the confusion players felt when NetherRealm revealed Nightmare on Elm Street antagonist Freddy Krueger as a DLC character for that title. While Boon wouldn't say whether or not Injustice will feature a similarly baffling roster addition, he does point out that fans seemed to love the swerve. "[Freddie spawned] a conversation amongst us about whether we should do a guest character [for Injustice]," Boon says. "Some people thought it was great. Some people were nervous about it. He ended up being the biggest selling one of all." Given that, though Boon is obviously trying to play coy, it doesn't seem as if NetherRealm has given up on the possibility of adding a guest fighter to Injustice.

With that in mind, who would you like to see appear in Injustice: Gods Among Us beyond the standard DC Comics characters? Keep in mind that the game is published by Warner Bros. Interactive, a wing of one of the largest media companies on the planet, which has generated a huge number of popular films and television series' over the past century. A very condensed list might include The Matrix, Animaniacs, and even Space Jam. That leaves a massive number of properties from which NetherRealm could potentially draw new fighters, so please, fill the comments below with your predictions, guesses and breathless hopes as to who might join the Injustice: Gods Among Us character select screen in the near future.

Source: Game Informer [https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/17/netherrealms-ed-boon-moving-beyond-mortal-kombat-hints-on-injustice-dlc-and-life-after-midway.aspx?PostPageIndex=3]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Lobo appeared in Doomsday's Arcade Ending, so check the endings of the other characters, we might get an idea of who else might be added.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I just want an alternate version of Raven that isn't stupid.

Also Beast Boy.

Really, more Titans in general. This game needs tons more Titans. Where's my Starfire? Where's my Donna Troy? Where's Beasy Boy? Where's Arsenal?

You all can't tell me the super attack things from people like Starfire, Beast Boy, and Arsenal wouldn't be completely badass.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I can totally see them adding Lola Bunny and Michael Jordan to Injustice. Worked for Shack.

MikePeck

Nov 20, 2009
Agree with Shintakie, BB would be awesome. Ridiculous number of animal possible moves? Constant body shifting for chain combos like no other? Super attacks involving Dinosaurs? YES PLEASE! Seriously, Beast Boy (might want to call him changeling or Menagerie though) has potential. Only problem would be the sheer number of character models they'd have to make for him.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
"one of the top fighters of this generation - and may well be the best virtual fisticuffs simulator to ever come from the developers of Mortal Kombat"

?

???

???!!

Okay the finished version must be a lot better than the demo, because the demo was completely underwhelming. It's cool to pit the DC characters against each other but that's way too much praise for what I saw on screen.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
shintakie10 said:
I just want an alternate version of Raven that isn't stupid.

Also Beast Boy.

Really, more Titans in general. This game needs tons more Titans. Where's my Starfire? Where's my Donna Troy? Where's Beasy Boy? Where's Arsenal?

You all can't tell me the super attack things from people like Starfire, Beast Boy, and Arsenal wouldn't be completely badass.
Are you talking about TV series or comic book Titans? Because if you mean the TV series, then I think you're in for a rude awakening about the 'real' characters. Particularly Starfire.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Can't say I'm surprised. Even before there were hints of him appearing in the game. I just... knew he'd be in there.

Oh well. I already got the season pass, so I sure won't be missing out on this.

DC characterwise, I'd like to see members of the other Lantern Corps (Although all the Lantern construct attacks may get repetitive.) Maybe Larfleeze as an Injustice version of Shang Tsung could be cool.

Now... NON-DC Universe? I can't help but think of Michael Jordan, with the same style as Lucky from King of Fighters.

Anyone remember Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy city? They could draw all of their ideas from that! Fire and Ice basketballs! Lightning Slam dunks! His super move would involve him busting the sickest Slam Dunk of all time right in your face as lightning strikes you for some reason. Imagine that with the destructible backgrounds... Seeing skyscrapers snap in half and fall to the ground would make it even more convincing!

Because why not.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
vid87 said:
You want insane casting thoughts with Warner Bros.? Try Harry Potter.

I would seriously buy this game ten times over if it allowed me to pit Superman against Dumbledore.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
"one of the top fighters of this generation - and may well be the best virtual fisticuffs simulator to ever come from the developers of Mortal Kombat"

?

???

???!!

Okay the finished version must be a lot better than the demo, because the demo was completely underwhelming. It's cool to pit the DC characters against each other but that's way too much praise for what I saw on screen.
This, from what I have seen the basics and mechanics are fine, but the balance is bollocks and seems to be in a direly unpolished state all around. The game has potential though, maybe in a year or even less it might be awesome.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nimzabaat said:
The final game is very much an improvement over the demo.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
The credits for the game listed three voice actors who have in the past voiced
Poison Ivy, Batgirl, and Scorpion from Mortal Kombat
in addition to the voice actor for Lobo, so those are the ones I'd expect for the first round of DLC characters.

If they don't give a damn about story, I'd love to see Static Shock, Zatanna, Metallo, Granny Goodness, Owlman, Red Hood and Bumblebee in there. If we're going to get stupid crazy with the properties WB has the rights to, it would be hilarious to see Sauron. If Watchmen characters aren't out of the question, Rorshach would be a must, if just to piss off Alan Moore.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I want the Secret Six. The characters are varied enough from what is in the game that they would be interesting. Okay Deadshot might not be too different from Deathstroke but he could be. Ragdoll would be all wonky and strange stikes but weak. Catman would be similar to Batman in basic combos but a bit slower and heaver attacks. Scandal would use her claws as her attack as fast attacker. Jeanette would play a good mid range fighter with her screams as her attacks. Killer Shark would be a large brusier. And we already have Bane and Harley Quin.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I think Human Bomb and Talon would be a good addition. Atrocitus from the Red Lanterns would be good as a Lantern with strength instead of agility.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I'd love to see Dream and Delirium as playable characters. They might sound overpowered... what with being older and more powerful than gods... but then again... they already have nightwing going up against superman (and winning in some cases)... so... yeah...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
... and this is why I wait till the Complete Edition comes out where I'll pay a more reasonable price for a fighter and get all the characters.