Neutral Drow reviews: A Drug That Makes You Dream

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
[img_inline align="center" caption="Drugs, bullying, and interpersonal relationships"]http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9053/yumemirukusuri.jpg[/img_inline]​

First off, I really, really don't like that subtitle. Yes, it's supposed to be a succinct hint towards the focus of each of the three routes, but there's a line between succinctness and oversimplification. That subtitle not only crosses that line, but it gives an entirely undeserved shallow impression with regards to the game, an impression I remember having when I first bought it (which didn't dull my interest, natch). Hell, I've finished the game, and I'm still not even sure what "interpersonal relationships" is supposed to mean.

Secondly, this game has one of the most amusing License Agreements I've ever read. Most EULAs communicate things along the lines of "this is our property, we have a say in how it's used" and "don't pirate our software, and we'll stop sharpening our machetes" and the like. Peach Princess' License Agreement, on the other hand, can be paraphrased as follows:

"This is a work of fiction dealing with relationships and sex. As such, it might not reflect reality, and probably won't encompass all the intricacies of building actual sexual and love relationships. Please do not take this game as inspiration for such, and for the love of God, please practice safe sex."

In the context of this particular game, that EULA is ironic in several ways, but I digress.

<color=white>Line break.

Kouhei Kagami is a high school student, living with an adoptive family and coasting through life. His relationship with his father, mother, and younger sister is...cordial at best, and he's never been particularly close to them. He works a part-time job and is a reputed honor student at school, simply because it's the easy thing to do. He's an utterly transparent person and knows it very well, and the sheer monotony of his life is expressed through his frequent auditory hallucination of a train, endlessly rolling down a track.

But not for long.

One after the other, three people enter his life. Aeka Shiraki, the omega in the classroom hierarchy and a frequent victim of bullies. Mizuki Kirimiya, the talented student council president and an all-around slacker. And Cat Sidhe Nekoko, a strange girl come seemingly out of nowhere and a self-proclaimed seeker of the "fairy homeland." Each seems to exist apart from the empty reality Kouhei lives in, but each has problems of their own to deal with.

Can Kouhei reach out to these three girls...and in return find his own salvation?

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one. Sure, the concept had been lingering in the back of my mind ever since I bought it, but ultimately, I just knew that this was the other game I knew very little about...specifically, I knew about three glowing reviews on GameFAQs and the recommendation of the guy working the J-List booth. Still, after <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703>that horrible VN I last reviewed, I was willing to settle for just about anything.

And holy crap, is this game is like settling for a cheeseburger and receiving filet mignon, instead. Let's get started.

Gameplay

Once again, a visual novel (specifically, an eroge visual novel). You read the story, and occasional choices pop up. Said choices affect your relationship with other characters and influence the direction of the story, leading ultimately to one of seven endings.

Because of the comparatively little exposition that isn't already woven into the narrative (and almost total lack of possible death), this particular eroge is closer to the dating sim variety than the CyoA format (like, say, the TYPE-MOON games), though it also lacks the stat system and mutability of a true dating sim. In particular, the relationship points gained in the first half of the game determine who's scenario you're on (if anyone's), but the second half is governed by making the right decisions.

Except that one of these can get you laid...on the right route.

Early decision. Not an earth-shaking one.

The game also surprised me with its difficulty. Granted, it's not as hard as, say, Fate/Stay Night (where a single misstep can kill you and everyone you ever loved), but getting the happy endings in this game is made more difficult by the fact that, with one exception, there are no premature game overs, so you won't know you got a given heroine's bad ending until the end of the game. Further, each scenario has some exacting requirements for the good endings; Mizuki's route in particular has a lot of choices to make, some of which aren't obvious. Nekoko's has two decisions in particular that absolutely have to be made correctly. And even Aeka's scenario has a single decision that's very easy to trip over!

Did I mention the game's handy quicksave feature?

For the love of all that's good and holy, don't go outside!

<color=white>Line Break.
Story

The story in this game is very good. That sentence is the result of five hours of careful thought. I'm so eloquent.

Each of the game's three routes provide an interesting dichotomy. The story is rather lighthearted in tone, to begin with, and I was surprised that it could get pretty funny at times...which makes the contrast to the later parts all the more stark. Make no mistake, this game is dark, sometimes astoundingly so. Much as I'm not fond of the game's subtitle, I will admit that it hints very strongly towards the ultimate themes of social ostracism, suicidal depression, existential despair, and desperate escapism. Not to mention the game's sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, always highly critical stance on conformity...

Despite that, I'd be lying if I claimed this was a straight-up angstfest. Indeed, even in Aeka's route, the darkest and most emotional of the game's scenarios, focused as it is on the victim of Japanese bullying*, there wasn't as much angst as I might have expected. Mizuki's and Nekoko's routes (the "interpersonal" and "drugs" scenarios), on the other hand, are almost totally devoid. Not to say the game lacks emotional response, though, far from it. The response just varies.

i can haz cheezburger?

Character establishing shot: mooching off of Kouhei

Note, however, that all bets are off when it comes to the endings. There are seven possible endings in the game, including happy and unhappy endings for each of the three main girls. Eloquent as it sounds, the happy endings tend to very much so (and, despite Tolstoy's insistence, happy families, and endings, are not all alike), and the unhappy endings tend to be massive downers...with one possible bittersweet exception, which is open to interpretation...

Okay, so that's a bit of a misnomer. Still, bullying is, in fact, a major problem in Japanese schools. In addition to universal symptoms of victimization, there are also the strong collectivist cultural biases against standing out and in favor of settling one's own problems within one's in-group (which, sadly, also ties into cases of intra-familial abuse). This tends to lead to situations of "blaming the victim" that, while certainly not unique to Japan, are nonetheless distressingly common there. Aeka's route, naturally, goes into this idea in some detail.

One of the criticisms I've seen of that particular scenario is how over-the-top the abuse Aeka suffers (and how unlikely the apathy of those around her) seems to be. I found it all disturbingly real.
More colloquially, a -What the christ?!- rank on the Fucked Up Shit-o-Meter.

Clandestine tasing. 6/10 on the abuse scale. And yes, it does get worse.
<color=white>Line Break.
Characters

First, a note on White Knight syndrome: the perfect or near-perfect protagonist who "rescues" girls from their problems, which is a staple of many genres of eroge. When done right, this can give a game a clear sense of direction while not adversely affecting the plot. Done poorly, however, and it comes off as condescending and trite, and seriously harms the story. Either way, it's difficult putting meaningful characterization on a character who is too blatantly a player avatar (in the case of dating sims, though, I guess this doesn't matter).

Kouhei is a rather unusual protagonist, especially for this game's premise, in that he doesn't really fit that staple. While he's decently intelligent and bland by his own admission (most of which is unfounded self-deprecation), he's hardly an exemplar of well-adjustedness. In fact, this leads to one of the more effective aspects of his character; while he certainly does "save" Nekoko, Aeka, or Mizuki, it's not his strength of character but his flaws that draw him to the similarly-troubled girls and allow him to identify and fall in love with them. Nor are the relationships one-sided affairs; as Kouhei affects, so is he strongly affected by the love and actions of the girl he ends up with...even if she has to haul him bodily out of his complacency*. In fact, Kouhei is easily matched in characterization by the game's heroines. Aeka's sweet and spacey attitude, Mizuki's lazy capriciousness, and Nekoko's sheer energy, while they aren't really facades, do bely the hidden depths of their characters.

Two members of the supporting cast deserve full mention, as well, but since my creativity is once more running low, I'll just give them passing mention. Aya, Kouhei's adopted younger sister, is a surprisingly likable and important character. Now, if you're familiar with Japanese eroge at all, your head is probably still ringing with alarm bells at the phrase "adopted younger sister." There certainly are hints (Aya's got a rather tsundere attitude towards Kouhei, and he's initiated...semi-inappropriate situations) that that she could have been a love interest, but the game actually goes the realistic route. Instead, the hints simply serve to highlight Kouhei's disconnection from reality and Aya's worry and desire to be closer to him (but as family, not lovers). Then there's Tsubaki Hirofumi, Kouhei's sempai at work, who serves alternately as friend, reliable source of advice, and flirtatious annoyance (he's gay, just not stereotypically so). Since he's also a huge fan of eroge, his advice tends to be sound and humorously self-aware.

Of course, not every character has to be likable to be effective. Aeka's scenario, dealing as it is with bullying, is the only route with true antagonists (no, the yakuza Nekoko tends to piss off don't count), and they certainly succeed at being antagonizing. Kyoka Nanjou, the popular girl for whom Aeka is a favorite whipping girl and stress relief, is especially successful in this role, but I don't want to get too into particulars. Not because they're spoilers or anything (though some are), but simply because thinking about the particulars makes me sick.

EVERY CELL OF MY BEING SCREAMS IN DEFIANCE OF YOU, SHE-DEVIL OF THE BLACKEST ABYSS!

Evil. (artist's rendition)

Incidentally, that alt text is outdated, written when I was 1/3 of the way through the game. Eventually, even the English language simply runs out of words to describe pure loathing.

Nowhere is this give-and-take more poignant than in the seventh ending, the premature game over you get if Kouhei doesn't grow close to (or actively drives away) any of the girls. Their stories end very badly, but Kouhei's continues, as he gets to spend the rest of his bland life more-or-less peacefully...a peace spiked with the knowledge and regret that something could have happened, but he chose for it not to.

In any case, I'm seriously glad I didn't see this ending until finishing the rest of the game, since there's surprisingly a pair of gigantic spoilers in it.

<color=white>Line Break.
Technical

This is a "text box at bottom of the screen" style visual novel, contrasting the full screen style of Tsukihime. I think both styles have different names in Japanese (one is technically "adventure game" style), but I can't recall which is which. There's some occasional typos, but nothing too widespread (and I think there's a patch for those).

The game's art quality is pretty good. Backgrounds in particular are easy on the eyes, and the CG gallery is fun to browse. I did find something...off, with the character design. Well, the character sprites, at least (the CGs were fine). Still, I'm not sure what it was, and whatever it was wasn't distracting for too long, so a passing grade nonetheless.

Side note: For an H-game protagonist, Kouhei's actually in a lot of these CGs.

Maybe it's her hair.

The English translation of the game retains the Japanese voiceovers, which is great, since the voice acting is superb. The seiyuu for the game's heroines in particular pull off wonderfully characteristic performances, whether it be Aeka's soft-spoken fragility, Mizuki's coy, often deadpan delivery, or Nekoko's forthright, almost manic nature; this is besides those instances of extra character depth, whether Aeka's anger, Mizuki's worried contrition, or Nekoko's...well, don't want to give too much away. Aya's and Tsubaki's voices fit their characters particularly well, too, and Kyoka's voice was delightfully unendearing. Most other voices besides Kouhei's parents (especially male voices) tend to be exaggerated for effect, whether humor or tragedy. Gaito in particular speaks with such an over-the-top drawl, it's almost comical...if he weren't every bit the violent thug his voice implies.

As a side note, Kouhei himself is the only unvoiced character in the game. It seems to be the game's only concession towards making him a player character...and it actually works pretty well.

The soundtrack is a similarly well-done affair, mostly in piano, acoustic guitar, and synth. In particular, the ambiance tracks have a light jazz feel to them, and the unique themes (the deeply emotional <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzP5SF0We8>On the Moonlit Rooftop, the light and airy <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXgQzf4cCE>Girls Are Made of Frosting Cake, and the swinging <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_VVuiuZa8>The Catgirl Stomped) add even more character to their respective storylines.

<color=white>Line Break!
Ero

Yes, since this is an eroge, that means sex. And boy howdy is there a lot of it in this game. It was actually astounding how much they packed in. Aeka's route has the lowest amount, consisting of four scenes (all involving intercourse), which is a bit on the high side for a plot-heavy game like this. Mizuki's route has the highest, consisting of eight scenes (six involving intercourse), more than in the entirety of Fate/Stay Night!

Sad to say, this does work against the game a bit. The scenes during Nekoko's scenario (six total, five involving intercourse) in particular tended to feel really out-of-place. Only one or two could be considered important to the story, though to be fair, most of the others at least had some humor value in the leadup. Aeka fares slightly better, with two definitely important scenes, one arguably important scene, and one totally unnecessary scene. As for the almost insatiably horny Mizuki...oddly enough, I'd actually say all of her sex scenes are important in a way. Weird, I know, but trust me, it actually winds up making sense.

As for the quality of the scenes themselves...I'm a notoriously uncritical judge. Basically, as long it's not fetishistic, non-consensual, or lacking in pathos, I generally won't mind any given scene, and none of the ones in this game broke those rules in any appreciable way (though again, Nekoko came close). Hell, one or two even had me in tears.

Side note: if you're not used listening to Japanese hentai voiceovers, these scenes might sound kind of strange. Just a warning. In any case, if sex is a deterrent, then that's what the game's handy fast-forward feature is for. And if it's not a deterrent at all, that's what the auto-play feature is for.

I wouldn't recommend skipping past the drunken sex in the student council office, though. Mostly because it's disturbingly amusing. Just remember, when the choice pops up, effort on your part is appreciated. Just some advice.

<color=white>Line break!
Verdict

Well, we're here. I've struggled to keep my sentimentality in check and myself objective...but really, I figured there was something wrong when I felt relief that there was something in the game I could complain about, just so people could take me seriously. Therefore, the review is essentially finished, so I'm going to officially abandon objectivity from here on out.

I love this game.

I seriously have not played anything else that provoked the sheer amount and variety of emotional responses that this game produced in me, including a few I don't have names for. Creeping dread, crushing despair, tearful relief, savage joy, bitter depression, awestruck wonder, loving empathy, inarticulate rage and utter hatred (see: Kyoka), deep shock, bittersweet satisfaction, growing suspicion, calm contentment, hell, even fatherly pride (of Kouhei) at one point...and three different shades of pure happiness.

Aeka's route in particular was spectacularly written, its resolution both horrifying and satisfying in a way I found slightly shocking, and its ending the happy memory that allowed me to move on to the other routes without feeling like a monster for ignoring her.

Mizuki's unhappy ending (which I did stumble onto) hit like a punch in the gut and lingered like a stab wound the more I thought of it...but her happy ending is the most heartwarming thing I've ever read. I actually walked around distracted most of the next day, so touched was I.

In a way, Nekoko's arc felt like the weakest...which didn't dent it much. Nekoko is still pretty entertaining, herself. I was particularly enamored after the twist most of the way through, which I totally did not see coming, but which ultimately made me love her along with the others. As well, her happy ending went with a cute sort of happiness that I found delightful.

The only thing preventing this game from overtaking Tsukihime and/or Fate/Stay Night as my new favorite visual novel is my love of supernatural elements, nostalgic bonds, and the sheer volume of the Nasuverse and its characters. As is, I'm rambling, so I'll cut off here.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot to mention availability. I'm still not sure where to physically buy copies of games like these, but since this is an officially translated (not fan-translated) game, it's available online. Peach Princess has it available for download or shipping, and I've seen copies up on Amazon, too.

Next Review:

TYPE-MOON reviews: Kagetsu Tohya
Tsukihime's sorta-sequel and fun-filled canon romp.

TYPE-MOON reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>Tsukihime
--- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.142352-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Shingetsutan-Tsukihime-anime>Shingetsutan Tsukihime (anime)
--- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.145022-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Lunar-Legend-Tsukihime-manga>Lunar Legend Tsukihime (manga)
- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.139628-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Kagetsu-Tohya>Kagetsu Tohya
- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.230960-TYPE-MOON-Reviews-Melty-Blood>Melty Blood
--- Re-Act/Act Cadenza
--- Actress Again

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.223721-TYPE-MOON-Review-anniversary-Fate-Stay-Night>Fate/Stay Night
--- Fate/Stay Night (anime)
----- Unlimited Blade Works
--- Fate/Stay Night (manga)
- Fate/Unlimited Codes
- Fate/Zero

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.304952-TYPE-MOON-Review-Anniversary-Kara-no-Kyoukai>Kara no Kyokai

Speculative: Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Fate/Extra, Notes, DDD.

Neutral Drow reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Xchange>Xchange
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.135672-Neutral-Drow-reviews-A-Drug-That-Makes-You-Dream>A Drug That Makes You Dream
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.146260-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Heart-de-Roommate>Heart de Roommate
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.163769-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kanon>Kanon
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>Little My Maid
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.206764-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kana-Little-Sister>Kana: Little Sister
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.252998-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Princess-Waltz>Princess Waltz
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.237875-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Crescendo>Crescendo
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.308335-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Symphonic-Rain>Symphonic Rain
Hourglass of Summer
Tokimeki Check-in
Casual Romance Club
True Love
Clannad
Family Project
Snow Sakura
The Sagara Family
Snow Drop
Brave Soul
Doushin - Same Heart
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo
Da Capo
Da Capo II
Kira Kira
Yo-Jin-Bo
Sekien no Inganock
Wanko to Kuroso
My Girlfriend is the President
Sharin no Kuni
Cross Channel
Wind: A Breath of Heart
Brass Restoration
Ever17
Remember11
Ori Ochi Onoe
Shuffle
One
G-Senjou no Maou
Gadget Trail
Swan Song
Eien no Aselia
Phantom of Inferno
Kikokugai
River Trap
Autumn
Sengoku Rance
Daibanchou
ef
Neko Kawaigari
Adam: The Double Factor
Edelweiss
AoiShiro

Speculative: Air, Galaxy Angel, Yu-No, Sumaga, Suika, Shimai Donburi, 11eyes, Ashita no Kimi to Au Tami ni

Kinetic reviews:

Narcissu
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
True Remembrance
Leaves
The Dandelion Girl
Tokoyo no Hoshizora

Off-Topic reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.151706-Lightning-Warrior-Raidy-a-Lordlee-and-Neutral-Drow-review>Lightning Warrior Raidy (collab. w/Lordlee)
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.158447-Off-Topic-Reviews-Devil-May-Cry-series>Devil May Cry series
- Devil May Cry 4 addendum
- DMC addendum
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.178061-Off-Topic-Reviews-Soulbringer>Soulbringer
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.194259-Off-Topic-Reviews-Ragnarok>Ragnarok
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.272426-Off-Topic-Reviews-Suguri>Suguri
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.385549-Off-Topic-Reviews-Ristar>Ristar
????
????

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Thats a fine review, and it sounds like an interesting game.
too bad it's eroge, otherwise I'd consider looking into it... even though it has fast foward.
I wouldn't want to give people ideas about me, so I'll have to miss it.
I do like multiple choice games though. seem quite fun to see where you can end up.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Awesome review. I always wonder where people buy these games though. I think I have to check Demonoid right now...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I bookmarked this last night to re read again. Im going to be upfront and say this really isnt my type of game and i probably wont play it. I just had to throw some appreciation on this review, its very well done. Great job!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I have to say that this review is really good, with a nice picture-to-text ratio. I'm sorta confused as to why you don't center the other pictures (I suppose I'm just a massive fan of centering in general :D.)

I like the sound of this game: I'll add it to the list of stuff I have to buy once I run out of other stuff to play.

A funny thing is that riht now in college I'm taking a class in Interactive Narrative: and one of the options for the class project was to make a visual novel game. Alas, neither me nor my partner have any art skills, so we're going to make a MUD instead (think the Escapist's own Phantom of the Arcade.)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Thats a fine review, and it sounds like an interesting game.
too bad it's eroge, otherwise I'd consider looking into it... even though it has fast foward.
I wouldn't want to give people ideas about me, so I'll have to miss it.
I do like multiple choice games though. seem quite fun to see where you can end up.
I'll keep that in mind. Eventually, I'm going to get to a non-ero visual novel called Hourglass of Summer...

Zeon_1992 said:
Hmmm. Going to have to hunt this down. Nice job on the review!
Emphraim said:
Awesome review. I always wonder where people buy these games though. I think I have to check Demonoid right now...
*smacks self* Gah, I can't believe I forgot about that!

Well, I bought this game from the guys working the J-List booth at San Diego Comic Con. I'd send you to their website, but frankly, their site freaks me the hell out. Unless you're going the torrent route (can't help you there), I'd recommend either just using Amazon, or going directly to Peach Princess' site (it's available as physical copy or download). The site is a little NSFW, but at least it only has bishoujo games, not...other things. >_>

xmetatr0nx said:
I bookmarked this last night to re read again. Im going to be upfront and say this really isnt my type of game and i probably wont play it. I just had to throw some appreciation on this review, its very well done. Great job!
It's definitely a niche appeal, especially outside Japan. Still, it's gratifying to know I wrote a successful review even in light of that. Thanks!

scotth266 said:
I have to say that this review is really good, with a nice picture-to-text ratio. I'm sorta confused as to why you don't center the other pictures (I suppose I'm just a massive fan of centering in general :D.)
Oh good. I was actually worried about cluttering, since there were others I'd been planning to use. Size was also a weird point; I wanted to keep the text readable, but the image captures felt too large at first...

As for centering...I'm not really sure. I like centering the opening image, since using that with the inline caption seems to make it fit better. Centering the body images makes me feel like I'm leaving too much open space, especially with the bolded caption (can't use the inline captions, either, since that seems to interfere with the alt text...).

A funny thing is that riht now in college I'm taking a class in Interactive Narrative: and one of the options for the class project was to make a visual novel game. Alas, neither me nor my partner have any art skills, so we're going to make a MUD instead (think the Escapist's own Phantom of the Arcade.)
More creative than me. I'd probably resort to poorly-done stick figures and try to pass it off as irony!

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Well damn, a couple weeks after I finish the game I stumble on this review. Nice and thorough, but I feel the need to nitpick one thing: the songs you attached to two of the characters. It's true that on the Moonlit Rooftop and Where is Fairyland are exclusive to Aeka and Nekoko's routes respectively, but those aren't the songs that come to mind as being those girls' "themes." In fact both of them play only once during specific events, rather than on a consistent basis like Girls are made of Frosting and Cake did during Mizuki's route. The Catgirl Stomped plays constantly when Nekoko is around, and the title makes it pretty clear it's a song for Nekoko. It's less straightforward with Aeka, but given how often Heretics and Dreamers played during that route compared to the other two it might as well be her song.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Well damn, a couple weeks after I finish the game I stumble on this review. Nice and thorough, but I feel the need to nitpick one thing: the songs you attached to two of the characters. It's true that on the Moonlit Rooftop and Where is Fairyland are exclusive to Aeka and Nekoko's routes respectively, but those aren't the songs that come to mind as being those girls' "themes." In fact both of them play only once during specific events, rather than on a consistent basis like Girls are made of Frosting and Cake did during Mizuki's route. The Catgirl Stomped plays constantly when Nekoko is around, and the title makes it pretty clear it's a song for Nekoko. It's less straightforward with Aeka, but given how often Heretics and Dreamers played during that route compared to the other two it might as well be her song.
I didn't mention "Where is the Fairyland" at all. Nekoko's arc was the last one I finished, so it was the last BGM I collected. Considering that was only after listening to "The Catgirl Stomped" for who knows how long, I knew which one was more iconic of her.

But thanks for catching me on "Heretics and Dreamers." I love that theme, but I couldn't for the life of me remember how often it showed up, and for who...and I think I may have written that part of the review after playing the "Aeka: Cry From the Heart" event for the second time.

Can't blame me for having "On the Moonlit Rooftop" at the front of my mind in that case, right...?

It only shows up once, but since it does seem pretty iconic of the route as a whole, I think I'll leave that as part of the review. Still, I really should upload Heretics to youtube, too.

EDIT: <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK5fJapIY0>Done.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I'm actually quite surprised how easy to read this review was, given the somewhat daunting length. I've never heard of/played any of these "eroge" games and generally have very little interest in them, but stuck with it since the occasional first person voice really kept the review flowing smoothly.

Also...

The story in this game is very good. That sentence is the result of five hours of careful thought. I'm so eloquent.
I'm stealing that line whenever I spend more than ten minutes trying to describe a movie's plot in my review.

Hope you don't mind. :)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Maet said:
I'm actually quite surprised how easy to read this review was, given the somewhat daunting length. I've never heard of/played any of these "eroge" games and generally have very little interest in them, but stuck with it since the occasional first person voice really kept the review flowing smoothly.
It's hard being one's own editor, sometimes. Considering how long it took to write (I've been working on this review for a few days) due to writer's block, I'm actually surprised it turned out as long as it did.

Also...

I'm stealing that line whenever I spend more than ten minutes trying to describe a movie's plot in my review.

Hope you don't mind. :)
I would be simultaneously amused and honored.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
It only shows up once, but since it does seem pretty iconic of the route as a whole, I think I'll leave that as part of the review. Still, I really should upload Heretics to youtube, too.

EDIT: <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK5fJapIY0>Done.
Right on, that song is god-tier BGM.

Say, was it just me or did you feel like the game tries to push players into the Aeka route? I got that impression because most of the early choices are along the lines of "hey, Aeka could use a hand here" "want to eat lunch on the roof with Aeka?" "Hey, Aeka's over there, you should go talk to her."

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Say, was it just me or did you feel like the game tries to push players into the Aeka route? I got that impression because most of the early choices are along the lines of "hey, Aeka could use a hand here" "want to eat lunch on the roof with Aeka?" "Hey, Aeka's over there, you should go talk to her."
It didn't really feel like that to me, no. There's the standard "heroine introduction" choices (Aeka's lunch order, Mizuki's council business, and feeding Nekoko) and the follow-up choices (giving Aeka a hand, helping Mizuki in the council room on Sunday, feeding Nekoko again). Beyond that, though, there's a bunch of "either or" choices that affect a certain girl over another; not going up to the roof means you wind up eating in the cafeteria with Mizuki, not going shopping with Aeka means you wind up running from yakuza alongside Nekoko, etc., at least until it's certain you're on a given girl's scenario.

I think it might seem like the game forces you because the choices affecting her are the most obvious ones (besides all the "go to the student council room" choices). That particular Nekoko one (and the one if you go out with ***** Que--um...Kyoka) caught me totally off-guard.

Well...that, and it's really obvious right off the bat that Aeka is suffering a lot. Seriously, I felt like a monster the first time I didn't help her to her feet. And I think the game realizes just how affecting that is; did you notice how hers is the only route to receive closure if you're not on it? Felt to me like the game was saying "okay, you can stop feeling guilty and move on, now."

Beffudled Sheep

May 29, 2020
Country
Texas
This review was so awesome that I'm thinking about buying the game. I'll get a few odd looks but f*ck them, right?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
This review was so awesome that I'm thinking about buying the game. I'll get a few odd looks but f*ck them, right?
Bah, this game won't get you odd looks.

Now <url=http://www.pcrdist.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/horny_bunnies_game_78.jpg>this game would get you odd looks. Primarily from me.

Beffudled Sheep

May 29, 2020
Country
Texas
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Now <url=http://www.pcrdist.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/horny_bunnies_game_78.jpg>this game would get you odd looks. Primarily from me.
Why do you tease me with broken links?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Sorry. Worked for me. Here.

I've heard it's not too bad (at least, it's supposed to be rape-free), but still. The fifteen minutes I played of the second game drove me away.

Beffudled Sheep

May 29, 2020
Country
Texas
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

I've heard it's not too bad (at least, it's supposed to be rape-free), but still. The fifteen minutes I played of the second game drove me away.
Why do you judge one game by its sequel? Come on, at least give it a chance.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Actually seems interesting. Good review, and even though I'll never play it ever I actually think this game looks cool from what you've played of it.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Why do you judge one game by its sequel? Come on, at least give it a chance.
I guess, though I've also heard the second game is essentially the same as the first, just with different women. I do have to admit, the ones in the first game do look cuter and better proportioned (i.e. smaller chests), and GameFAQS seems to say that it's a lot better...which wouldn't matter if the plot is generic. I might look at the first game at some point, but I don't expect much...

Gah. It's gonna be hard enough reviewing Little My Maid and Casual Romance Club when I get to them; at least those are supposed to have noticeable plots. I already know the Escapist has a pretty small group of visual novel players. I'd imagine dating sim fans would be even fewer.

Beffudled Sheep

May 29, 2020
Country
Texas
NeutralDrow said:
I don't know about the rest of the escapist but I like most to all video game genres and reading long reviews so please continue. And why would it be hard to review those games?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
I don't know about the rest of the escapist but I like most to all video game genres and reading long reviews so please continue. And why would it be hard to review those games?
Partly because I'm certain there's even less of an audience for them than the things I usually get to (this fear is gradually disappearing, mostly due to responses in this thread). Partly incipient buyer's remorse (though not nearly as much as <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703>Xchange). Partly because I'm as yet unsure of how to review them; there's a bit of a leap between an adventure visual novel and a pure dating sim, and I've still only written three reviews ever.

Still, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I've reached into my bag of games and pulled out <url=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4317/newheartderoomate.jpg>a new one. It's looking more of a crapshoot, and all I know is that it will be worse than this thread's game (not that that narrows it down).

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
And I think the game realizes just how affecting that is; did you notice how hers is the only route to receive closure if you're not on it? Felt to me like the game was saying "okay, you can stop feeling guilty and move on, now."
I interpreted that as the game telling "you should have picked Aeka you jerk." You don't really see the other two during her route, but she gets to crash theirs long enough to spoil the mood.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
NeutralDrow said:
And I think the game realizes just how affecting that is; did you notice how hers is the only route to receive closure if you're not on it? Felt to me like the game was saying "okay, you can stop feeling guilty and move on, now."
I interpreted that as the game telling "you should have picked Aeka you jerk." You don't really see the other two during her route, but she gets to crash theirs long enough to spoil the mood.
I guess that's another way of looking at it, though I still think the Kyoka resolution (insufficient though it was) kinda supports my view.

But really, it's kind of inevitable if you think about it. After all, Aeka is Kouhei's actual classmate; it's natural she'd be the one he'd encounter (and think about) most often. Mizuki is an upperclassman and Nekoko isn't around the school (heh...irony), so until their scenarios begin in earnest, they kinda have to be sought out.

Urouboros

Nov 15, 2009
Great review!I've also played through 2 of the 3 routes(Long haired upperclassman and Loli on medication) and also recommend this to anyone that's willing to get into the whole click to read thing.
Personally I found the Nekoko most relate-able,but then again I never really get where the inspiration for Mizuki's route came from.

Again great review and keep up the good work! :)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
lodo_bear said:
How do you have sex without intercourse? I do not grok.
Nekoko's route has one (absolutely hilarious) handjob scene[footnote]"I found Kouhei's magic mushroom!"[/footnote], Mizuki's has handjob and footjob scenes. No full-on sex, but they're still H scenes.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
lodo_bear said:
How do you have sex without intercourse? I do not grok.
Nekoko's route has one (absolutely hilarious) handjob scene[footnote]"I found Kouhei's magic mushroom!"[/footnote], Mizuki's has handjob and footjob scenes. No full-on sex, but they're still H scenes.
Okay, I get it now. Highly NSFW, but not the traditional in-out.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
I have to say i never thought this was my type of game but now i can say for sure this is the first VN im going to play. also after i stumbled this review i found some of your other reviews and i must say great job i really want to get into VN's now since i love stories and mainly play rpgs. keep up the great reviews coming :)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
lordlee said:
This bump was approved by Something Awful.
And I'm oddly grateful to them for that.

I'm also amused and gratified by the realization that they had to cherry-pick those images from

A) The one game I gave an unambiguously positive response to.
B) The only parts of the review that make me look bad.

I'm serious, that second part is hilarious.

*opening irony*

*visual novel description*

*compliments to story and themes*

------ Screenshot -------------
*cultural note*
------ End Screenshot ---------

*explanation of effective characterization*

*mild compliments to artwork, gushing over music, voice acting, and other technical quality*

------- Screenshot -----------
*Ero section, compliments and complaints*

*expression of love for game*
---- End Screenshot ----------

*reiteration of game's superb writing*

*total listing of game's emotional response*

*wholehearted recommendation*

MasterMongoose0

Nov 3, 2009
Sounds really... interesting. I would look into it more, were it not for the sex stuff. I thoroughly enjoy studies of humans through games/movies/music, but sex is where I draw the line. I only tolerate it in games if it's fitting for the plot (i.e Mass Effect)

It would be cool if they released a sexless version of the game, and just replace it with SFW scenes that still retain the charm (which would probably be lost without the sex, judging by your description).

At least Japan can experiment with their games...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
MasterMongoose0 said:
Sounds really... interesting. I would look into it more, were it not for the sex stuff. I thoroughly enjoy studies of humans through games/movies/music, but sex is where I draw the line. I only tolerate it in games if it's fitting for the plot (i.e Mass Effect)

It would be cool if they released a sexless version of the game, and just replace it with SFW scenes that still retain the charm (which would probably be lost without the sex, judging by your description).
Yeah. Quite a few eroge are actually re-released with All Ages versions (stuff like Kanon, Fate/Stay Night, and To Heart come to mind), but this particular one is far from likely to. In fact, I dare say that such an adaptation might well be impossible.

At least, a non-ero Mizuki route adaptation would be impossible, considering that at some point in all the unprotected sex she gets pregnant. Both of her endings are based on this.

And that's not taking into account the other story-important scenes, like Aeka's initial attempt to tie Kouhei to her with sex. I really can't think of any non-sexual situation that could replace that, while still conveying how sympathetic but frightened Kouhei is at the possibility, and how broken and desperate Aeka is for any sort of companionship that she'd even consider it. ...on the other hand, they could probably take out all of Nekoko's scenes and not be much the worse for it.

In any case, I'm sad to hear it, though I do understand completely...for this particular game. Try the same excuse when I get to Fate/Stay Night (45 minutes worth of sex, in an 80+ hour game), and I'll be more disapproving! ^_^

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
You just KNOW you love the student council pres.
Eventually, yes.

...okay, almost right at the start.

Kouhei: "Isn't this all your work?"
Mizuki: "Yeah. Why?"
Kouhei: "...do you want to help me with it, instead of read a book?"
Mizuki: "It's okay. I trust you to do it."

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
Eventually, yes.

Mizuki: Oi, boy, are you a virgin?
Kouhei: What!?
Mizuki: Here, have a cigarette.
Kouhei: Er..
Mizuki: LETS GO TO A CASINO.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
Eventually, yes.

"HEY, little sister! Wanna share? He's got a great **** down here!"

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
Eventually, yes.

xD You can so tell that there was originally a plotline involving the little sister. What with the whole "YES I AM 18" and such.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
NeutralDrow said:
madbird-valiant said:
Eventually, yes.

xD You can so tell that there was originally a plotline involving the little sister. What with the whole "YES I AM 18" and such.
That was pretty amusing first time I saw it. What with the cast of 20 year-old high school students...

Seen it in other games, too. Like with Mayu in <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>Little My Maid.

Actually, the extra sentence makes it sound like an amateur porn setup...

Hint: Guess which part of that statement isn't in the original Japanese voiceover.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
That was pretty amusing first time I saw it. What with the cast of 20 year-old high school students...

Seen it in other games, too. Like with Mayu in <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>Little My Maid.

Actually, the extra sentence makes it sound like an amateur porn setup...

Hint: Guess which part of that statement isn't in the original Japanese voiceover.
xD Oh I wonder. It's so cliche with western-adapted visual novels.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I have to buy this now, just to see what happens when you go outside. You seem to love the game a ton so I admittedly skipped most of the review for fear of spoilers, so congrats on selling a game in one line.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Monkeyman8 said:
I have to buy this now, just to see what happens when you go outside. You seem to love the game a ton so I admittedly skipped most of the review for fear of spoilers, so congrats on selling a game in one line.
Well, I'm gratified, though I don't know if that scene is worth buying the game (granted, I'd say everything else is reason, but...).

I'm mainly adamant about that particular choice because there's no forewarning and the consequences come right the fuck out of nowhere. Admittedly, it's probably the only way someone would accidentally see that Bad Ending; avoiding it during the other chance involves a choice that should be blindingly obvious.

Also, I like to think I managed to avoid any spoilers in the review beyond "the happy endings are happy, the unhappy endings are soul-crushing, Mizuki is really horny, and Kyoka does things that make me want to rip out her throat and drink her blood." I try to avoid them in all my reviews, really...unless I review something that's <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Xchange>absolutely terrible (or something <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>mixed, in which case I use spoiler tags).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Monkeyman8 said:
Well, I'm gratified, though I don't know if that scene is worth buying the game (granted, I'd say everything else is reason, but...).

I'm mainly adamant about that particular choice because there's no forewarning and the consequences come right the fuck out of nowhere. Admittedly, it's probably the only way someone would accidentally see that Bad Ending; avoiding it during the other chance involves a choice that should be blindingly obvious.

Also, I like to think I managed to avoid any spoilers in the review beyond "the happy endings are happy, the unhappy endings are soul-crushing, Mizuki is really horny, and Kyoka does things that make me want to rip out her throat and drink her blood." I try to avoid them in all my reviews, really...unless I review something that's <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Xchange>absolutely terrible (or something <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>mixed, in which case I use spoiler tags).
hmm, sounds like the butterfly effect which makes me wanna get it even more (I'm a bit strange) That's how I want choice in stories to go, you're given innocuous choices, go left go right, eat a pie, etc. along with conversation choices for character interaction, and these seemingly innocuous choices through the Rub Goldberg machine of life form into a hurricane, it just seems like such a neat way to apply choice to a game, and when used in an actual game (read: "not interactive hentai") it would make the whole see all choices Mass Effect 2 Heavy Rain thing almost impossible and would force people to just play the game making arbitrary choices and seeing what happens. (granted this would have to be implemented using some sort of algorithms that generate certain parts of the game on the fly based on a couple dozen factors, but while these algorithms don't exist yet, there are procedurally generated games and things like rogue likes from which you could grab parts and write something)

but I've gone on derailing this thread long enough, cheers.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Monkeyman8 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Monkeyman8 said:

hmm, sounds like the butterfly effect which makes me wanna get it even more (I'm a bit strange) That's how I want choice in stories to go, you're given innocuous choices, go left go right, eat a pie, etc. along with conversation choices for character interaction, and these seemingly innocuous choices through the Rub Goldberg machine of life form into a hurricane, it just seems like such a neat way to apply choice to a game, and when used in an actual game (read: "not interactive hentai") it would make the whole see all choices Mass Effect 2 Heavy Rain thing almost impossible and would force people to just play the game making arbitrary choices and seeing what happens. (granted this would have to be implemented using some sort of algorithms that generate certain parts of the game on the fly based on a couple dozen factors, but while these algorithms don't exist yet, there are procedurally generated games and things like rogue likes from which you could grab parts and write something)
There are two schools of thought on the matter. One is the Rube-Goldberg innocuous choices having odd consequences. The other might be leaving all choices in the game to have some clear significance. Most games I've seen use both; some lean towards the former (in Tsukihime, if you skip lunch on a certain day, you die later from vaguely-related consequences), some towards the latter (like most of the choices I've seen in Kana: Little Sister).

This game...well, it doesn't really lean one way or the other, really. Unlike Kana, it has clearly delineated routes based on love interest and only two endings per route (rather than Kana's six endings, which are governed almost entirely by how you interact with the title character and guide her development). Unlike <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>Tsukihime, there are no Dead Ends (the game doesn't end prematurely because you ran straight into a vampire, or were perforated by a church assassin, or became an insane serial killer). Compared to those two, A Drug That Makes You Dream is somewhat limited...not nearly to the extent of <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.146260-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Heart-de-Roommate>Heart de Roommate, since your first-half choices at least have immediate effects on the story, but still.

but I've gone on derailing this thread long enough, cheers.
Derailing? What you call "derailing," I call "easy page 1 publicity."

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The review was fantastic, wouldn't change a thing. Nothing comes to mind when problems are the case. Excellent review, sadly, I'm too young to play the game, nor do I think my parents want this game in their house. :p

Again, wonderful review.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Cleril said:
The review was fantastic, wouldn't change a thing. Nothing comes to mind when problems are the case. Excellent review, sadly, I'm too young to play the game, nor do I think my parents want this game in their house. :p

Again, wonderful review.
Thanks. That's great to hear, especially for one of my earlier reviews...probably the first one I wrote that doesn't make me cringe a little. >_<

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
After that i read you reviw i hade to try it out. I loved it! Though I never got any bad endings as i nearly was about to shut down the game and uninstall it and...well burn it contents as i really didnt like the the final confrontation with the ***** Que...*cough*i mean Kyoka. Though the ending made up for that and Mizukis god ending too.... Anyways great review!

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
*sniiiip*
I can see your line breaks. If you want them to be totally invisible set the colour to "Aliceblue". That's the exact same as the background, as far as I can see.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
NeutralDrow said:
*sniiiip*
I can see your line breaks. If you want them to be totally invisible set the colour to "Aliceblue". That's the exact same as the background, as far as I can see.
<color=white>I guess that could work, too. To be honest, I'm still up in the air over whether I should use those line breaks as easter eggs or not (if yes, then making them a tiny bit easier to see would be the way to go). However, since I'm rather far in to my reviews now, it might be odd to start that...not to mention no one seemed to notice the joke in the opening lyrics during the Lightning Warrior Raidy review, so they're unreliable anyway.

Eh. I guess I'll just stick to the image alt text for those. Let's see how this new color of blue works...

<color=aliceblue>Huh...I dunno. I guess it is a little harder to see. Or rather, at the right angle or when the computer screen is dark enough, you can easily see both of them. The blue is just harder to read. I guess I will use that for future reviews. Thanks!

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
After that i read you reviw i hade to try it out. I loved it! Though I never got any bad endings as i nearly was about to shut down the game and uninstall it and...well burn it contents as i really didnt like the the final confrontation with the ***** Que...*cough*i mean Kyoka. Though the ending made up for that and Mizuki's good ending too. Anyways great review!
Thanks...though yeah, that is kind of a big spoiler. I don't want to impose, but could you perhaps edit that out? Even though I do almost agree. It's like the game was reading my mind.

Or rather, reading my hatred and bloodlust. Still, I did manage to convince myself that if they went through with it, it would have caused too many problems. As it was...next-best thing.

Also, I'm confused...you loved the game, but you were about to uninstall and burn it?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Thanks...though yeah, that is kind of a big spoiler. I don't want to impose, but could you perhaps edit that out? Even though I do almost agree. It's like the game was reading my mind.

Or rather, reading my hatred and bloodlust. Still, I did manage to convince myself that if they went through with it, it would have caused too many problems. As it was...next-best thing.

Also, I'm confused...you loved the game, but you were about to uninstall and burn it?
I have edit out that now. Why i wanted to uninstall it and burn was baseicly the coldness and apathy that they where met with and how evil and cruel the ***** Que..i mean Kyuko could get.And i got an other reason in the spoiler box.
Well..it was the near rape scen and that deliqiunt guy beating Aeka up... and that the whole freaking class then totally froze them out and joined in at the end! That really pissed me off.

And how does the teachers not notice this?! They have to be blind and/or deaf...
I guees one thing that i can be happy with that this wont happen in the real world. OK it does but not as seaverly. I apoligise for any misspellings.Now i have to let my rage out on some demons on DMC 4.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:

I have edit out that now. Why i wanted to uninstall it and burn was baseicly the coldness and apathy that they where met with and how evil and cruel the ***** Que..i mean Kyuko could get.And i got an other reason in the spoiler box.
Well..it was the near rape scen and that deliqiunt guy beating Aeka up... and that the whole freaking class then totally froze them out and joined in at the end! That really pissed me off.
Ah, yes. Have to admit, that was one of the most emotional scenes of the game. Granted, the emotions it invoked were blind panic, deep hatred, all-consuming rage, and the incredibly powerful desire to kill things, but still.

Like I said in my verdict, I honestly haven't seen or played any game that could do that that strongly (I did get really, really angry during Tales of Symphonia and Fate/Stay Night a couple of times, but they didn't make me feel as...helpless as that scene did). I mean, Aeka's route in general was amazing; I actually consider it a point in the game's favor that I spent most of the second half of her route sick with worry. I still can't listen to <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzP5SF0We8>On the Moonlit Rooftop without tearing up, let alone when I play the scene itself again...

And how does the teachers not notice this?! They have to be blind and/or deaf...
I guees one thing that i can be happy with that this wont happen in the real world. OK it does but not as seaverly. I apoligise for any misspellings.Now i have to let my rage out on some demons on DMC 4.
It can and does happen in the real world. That level of severity might be somewhat uncommon, but not uncommon enough. And it is even worse in Japan than my own U.S.; at least there's awareness of the problem, which is good, but considering the cultural bias against sticking out, the root problem is still there.

And take out a few demons for me, will ya? I just found out a couple of days ago that my computer can't run that game, and I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:

Ah, yes. Have to admit, that was one of the most emotional scenes of the game. Granted, the emotions it invoked were blind panic, deep hatred, all-consuming rage, and the incredibly powerful desire to kill things, but still.

Like I said in my verdict, I honestly haven't seen or played any game that could do that that strongly (I did get really, really angry during Tales of Symphonia and Fate/Stay Night a couple of times, but they didn't make me feel as...helpless as that scene did). I mean, Aeka's route in general was amazing; I actually consider it a point in the game's favor that I spent most of the second half of her route sick with worry. I still can't listen to <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzP5SF0We8>On the Moonlit Rooftop without tearing up, let alone when I play the scene itself again...

It can and does happen in the real world. That level of severity might be somewhat uncommon, but not uncommon enough. And it is even worse in Japan than my own U.S.; at least there's awareness of the problem, which is good, but considering the cultural bias against sticking out, the root problem is still there.

And take out a few demons for me, will ya? I just found out a couple of days ago that my computer can't run that game, and I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360.
I felt that way too and damn it if i didnt think that it hade to be the bad ending! I was glad that i was wrong. But i have to salute you. Did you actully finish all routes and got all endings? I though you were joking with that picture shoing that i should not kill time outside and out of curiosity picked that after i got the right one. And quickloaded my way out of there as soon i could. Becasue of your earlier posts and by your review i would get emotionally scarred for life.

To go off topic a little: Not that i want to erm...belittle or disrepect your computer but is DMC 4 really that demending? My PC runs it fine on the highest settings and its quite old. It does lag a little but that mainly becuase that i play on Legendery Dark Knigt mode which spawn about 40-60 monster instead of the 5-10.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:

I felt that way too and damn it if i didnt think that it hade to be the bad ending! I was glad that i was wrong. But i have to salute you. Did you actully finish all routes and got all endings? I though you were joking with that picture shoing that i should not kill time outside and out of curiosity picked that after i got the right one. And quickloaded my way out of there as soon i could. Becasue of your earlier posts and by your review i would get emotionally scarred for life.
Yes, all routes and all endings. Including the seventh, premature ending. If you haven't seen it...
Aeka tries and fails to commit suicide (just like during Mikuki and Nekoko's routes), Mizuki gets knocked up, and Nekoko gets arrested. Nothing in particular happens to Kouhei, though he gets to try and live with himself afterwards.

To go off topic a little: Not that i want to erm...belittle or disrepect your computer but is DMC 4 really that demending? My PC runs it fine on the highest settings and its quite old. It does lag a little but that mainly becuase that i play on Legendery Dark Knigt mode which spawn about 40-60 monster instead of the 5-10.
DMC4 demands a pixel shader 3.0, which apparently you need ATI or nVidia for...neither of which my laptop has.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Salute to you agian then. Sorry about your laptop. i guess il counter with another question are the bad endings really that soul crushing?

Tyson765

Mar 28, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Mizuki's unhappy ending (which I did stumble onto) hit like a punch in the gut and lingered like a stab wound the more I thought of it...but her happy ending is the most heartwarming thing I've ever read. I actually walked around distracted most of the next day, so touched was I.
Yeah No spoilers here but I felt like I had actually lost a good friend after the unhappy ending and my gf was wondering what the hell was wrong with me becuase I was so depressed!
Brilliant story telling even though the whole audible hallucination thing doesn't ever seem to be anything more than a side note from my experience of the game.

Love it aswell.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Salute to you agian then. Sorry about your laptop. i guess il counter with another question are the bad endings really that soul crushing?
I found Mizuki's to be, yes.
I mean, finding out six months after her disappearance that your girlfriend died alone and is buried in an unmarked grave, and what's more that she died from complications during pregnancy while carrying your child...

Aeka's was just incredibly depressing, if unsurprising, and Nekoko's was...either depressing or bittersweet, depending on your interpretation.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Argh! What has been read cannot be unread!That is soul crushing. Now i have to go and repress this, a god thing is that i got other VNs that are more happy-go-lucky kind.On the moonlit rooftop really makes my heart cringe but i can counter that effect with I'm Falling! or The World of Dreams( or a LOT of choclate).I'm Falling! might be the main theme on the ero scenes but it really is sothing and calming.I can listen to it all day.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Tyson765 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Yeah No spoilers here but I felt like I had actually lost a good friend after the unhappy ending and my gf was wondering what the hell was wrong with me becuase I was so depressed!
Brilliant story telling even though the whole audible hallucination thing doesn't ever seem to be anything more than a side note from my experience of the game.

Love it aswell.
Yeah, the auditory hallucination was mostly just a metaphor for Kouhei's attitude towards life and his progress and growth, hence the thing's starting up again during the bad endings is just icing on the cake.

To be honest, the one thing I really wish was explained more was the woman from his dream in the very beginning. She only makes that and one other appearance, and I can kinda see what her point was, but I also wanted more of an explanation...though granted, the mystery of it is sort of appealing.

Besides, her single other appearance coincided with Kouhei
using up his life's supply of pure, undiluted awesome and briefly turning into Shiki from <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>Tsukihime.
That's a major point in her favor.

Evilsanta said:
Argh! What has been read cannot be unread!That is soul crushing. Now i have to go and repress this, a god thing is that i got other VNs that are more happy-go-lucky kind.On the moonlit rooftop really makes my heart cringe but i can counter that effect with I'm Falling! or The World of Dreams( or a LOT of choclate).I'm Falling! might be the main theme on the ero scenes but it really is sothing and calming.I can listen to it all day.
I wholeheartedly agree. I actually like taking note of the music during ero scenes in these games, because "I'm Falling" wasn't an isolated incident; I have a similar fondness for "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwP_9xGzU0&playnext_from=TL&videos=H8NTxlwb0L0>Parting" from Tsukihime and "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLwCfz-Z-98>Lover's Etude" from Heart de Roommate, and I might be one of the only people who actually likes "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnSj66jZ7N0>Pursuing Minds" from Fate/Stay Night (and "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVE86HGFUQk>Embrace" is all right).

Still, I noticed that each heroine in A Drug That Makes You Dream had at least two themes unique to their route (a character theme, and a situational theme). Having <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImCzIR5Alo>Mizuki's situational theme be an erotic theme was...actually quite appropriate.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Tyson765 said:
NeutralDrow said:

Love it aswell.
Yeah, the auditory hallucination was mostly just a metaphor for Kouhei's attitude towards life and his progress and growth, hence the thing's starting up again during the bad endings is just icing on the cake.

To be honest, the one thing I really wish was explained more was the woman from his dream in the very beginning. She only makes that and one other appearance, and I can kinda see what her point was, but I also wanted more of an explanation...though granted, the mystery of it is sort of appealing.

Besides, her single other appearance coincided with Kouhei
using up his life's supply of pure, undiluted awesome and briefly turning into Shiki from <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>Tsukihime.
That's a major point in her favor.

Was that when he:
Went Rambo(kinda) and held Kyoka hostage on the rooftop and cut that bitc...i mean her.I cant really remember(or put simply dont want to).

Evilsanta said:
I wholeheartedly agree. I actually like taking note of the music during ero scenes in these games, because "I'm Falling" wasn't an isolated incident; I have a similar fondness for "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwP_9xGzU0&playnext_from=TL&videos=H8NTxlwb0L0>Parting" from Tsukihime and "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLwCfz-Z-98>Lover's Etude" from Heart de Roommate, and I might be one of the only people who actually likes "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnSj66jZ7N0>Pursuing Minds" from Fate/Stay Night (and "<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVE86HGFUQk>Embrace" is all right).

Still, I noticed that each heroine in A Drug That Makes You Dream had at least two themes unique to their route (a character theme, and a situational theme). Having <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImCzIR5Alo>Mizuki's situational theme be an erotic theme was...actually quite appropriate.
When i first heard the Mizukiz situational theme:

With the "aphrodisiac" and all and with her tone of voice i really though Kouhei was about to rape her.
Maybe that just me though. And i will listen to the themes you brought up later as i am posting from a school computer. (Looks around, no ones looking, lets out a sigh of relief)

I have listend to the themes now and they are great.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
I love this review, more than almost anything else on the internet, because it made me get this, my first H-game.
I just beat it, not five minutes ago, and got the good ending path for Aeka.
I went with her cause I felt like a monster on Kyoka's level from the one decision I made to do something with someone else.
I fucking love this game. The music is amazing, the story compelling, the characters dead-on at making you feel something, everything.
One downside, though.
Now when I try and go to sleep at night, I keep hearing a train...
(No, seriously.)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WolfMage said:
I love this review, more than almost anything else on the internet, because it made me get this, my first H-game.
I went with her cause I felt like a monster on Kyoka's level from the one decision I made to do something with someone else.
I fucking love this game. The music is amazing, the story compelling, the characters dead-on at making you feel something, everything.
One downside, though.
(No, seriously.)
Can't say how happy I am to hear that. Not just because your opinion apparently matches mine, but that you liked it at all. That's always the nerve-wracking thing I find for my positive reviews; what if I convince someone to try a game, and they don't like it? Not so bad for something like Tsukihime or Kanon, but for one like this that can be legally acquired...well, I guess torrenting is still possible, but I try to ignore that.

Sucks to hear about the train, granted, but still. Have you done either of the other routes, yet? If not...something happens to make ignoring Aeka stop hurting (her route is the only one that's tied up like a loose end in the other two). Just a reassurance.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
WolfMage said:
One downside, though.
(No, seriously.)
Can't say how happy I am to hear that. Not just because your opinion apparently matches mine, but that you liked it at all. That's always the nerve-wracking thing I find for my positive reviews; what if I convince someone to try a game, and they don't like it? Not so bad for something like Tsukihime or Kanon, but for one like this that can be legally acquired...well, I guess torrenting is still possible, but I try to ignore that.

Sucks to hear about the train, granted, but still. Have you done either of the other routes, yet? If not...something happens to make ignoring Aeka stop hurting (her route is the only one that's tied up like a loose end in the other two). Just a reassurance.
Alas, no, as the time has been hard for me, having to always play in the dead of night, as to not put my schoolwork off by playing around.
Really? Hmm, well, that's rather nice. Cause I noticed that the other two girls just drop off the map once I picked Aeka. Weird, since in my go through, I screwed Mizuki three times, and then she stopped existing.
Maybe the developers knew that hers was the most emotional path.

I must keep up with your reviews, as you seem to have good taste. At least, on this one. Time to get Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime.

Also, I find the train thing great. Keeps me company. Gonna make it a ringtone or something.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WolfMage said:
NeutralDrow said:
WolfMage said:
One downside, though.
(No, seriously.)

Alas, no, as the time has been hard for me, having to always play in the dead of night, as to not put my schoolwork off by playing around.
Really? Hmm, well, that's rather nice. Cause I noticed that the other two girls just drop off the map once I picked Aeka. Weird, since in my go through, I screwed Mizuki three times, and then she stopped existing.
...I didn't even know that was possible. That raises some disturbing implications that you'll probably get eventually.

And yeah, night is when I play these games as well. Partly out of convenience (for some reason, things seem to have more emotional impact at night) and partly out of nostalgia; when I first got Tsukihime to run, I was still studying in Japan, and it was late June, right when I was getting swamped with schoolwork. I wound up playing specifically at night in bed, because that was when I could justify not working on something else...and the justification pretty much stuck once I got home and found Fate/Stay Night.

I must keep up with your reviews, as you seem to have good taste. At least, on this one. Time to get Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime.
Thanks, I try my best. I will get to reviewing Fate/Stay Night eventually (hell, it's half the reason I started writing reviews in the first place, the other being Tsukihime), but I'll just give an initial recommendation. While it's certainly of a much different genre than this game, its plot is epic in scope, it's three paths form three very different stories (and different paths of progression for the protagonist), the characters are fun, the music is pretty good, and the technical quality is breathtaking for a visual novel.

I still favor Tsukihime out of nostalgia (even if I can't bring myself to replay it, due to flashbacks), but I have to admit to Fate being the better game overall...though going from Tsukihime to Fate would probably be less jarring overall (the former is wonderful storywise and with decent but expressive artwork, but for technical quality, it's clearly done on an amateur budget).

Also, I find the train thing great. Keeps me company. Gonna make it a ringtone or something.
One of the two sounds I miss from Japan (other than the sounds of decent arcades). Considering the other sound is cicadas, though, I suspect that's just due to simple nostalgia.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
So as not to make an infinite quote (The mods frown on that), I'm gonna only quote bits.

NeutralDrow said:
...I didn't even know that was possible. That raises some disturbing implications that you'll probably get eventually.
Then you understand my surprise when I, not yet deciding who to pick, go to the student council room and
am basically jumped by Mizuki and her damned tea. And that was the third time.
And yes, disturbing implications ahoy, cause I was also with Aeka (sort of) at the time.
Wow, Kouhei is really a great guy, huh?

NeutralDrow said:
While it's certainly of a much different genre than this game, its plot is epic in scope, it's three paths form three very different stories (and different paths of progression for the protagonist), the characters are fun, the music is pretty good, and the technical quality is breathtaking for a visual novel.

I still favor Tsukihime out of nostalgia (even if I can't bring myself to replay it, due to flashbacks), but I have to admit to Fate being the better game overall...though going from Tsukihime to Fate would probably be less jarring overall (the former is wonderful storywise and with decent but expressive artwork, but for technical quality, it's clearly done on an amateur budget).
Hmm. So I am indeed going to have many, many more late nights of eroge games, then? That's great. Cause really, who needs sleep. I think I'll go with Tsukihime first, cause... Eh, I dunno. Sounds great.

NeutralDrow said:

One of the two sounds I miss from Japan (other than the sounds of decent arcades). Considering the other sound is cicadas, though, I suspect that's just due to simple nostalgia.
Ahh, cicadas at night. Not a sound we in the Mid-West get too often.
I gotta ask. How is it, in Japan?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Is Fate/stay Night that good? Neutral, you seem to worship it. And Wolfmage, Im glad that another soul has been bleesed by the eroge!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Great review!
Very well written, and you've certainly peaked my interests.

If I can find a copy of this (virtual or otherwise) then I'll be sure to give it a look.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WolfMage said:
So as not to make an infinite quote (The mods frown on that), I'm gonna only quote bits.
Makes sense, I suppose, though I was surprised when I first got here that quote pyramids technically don't exist.

NeutralDrow said:
Then you understand my surprise when I, not yet deciding who to pick, go to the student council room and
am basically jumped by Mizuki and her damned tea. And that was the third time.
And yes, disturbing implications ahoy, cause I was also with Aeka (sort of) at the time.
Wow, Kouhei is really a great guy, huh?
Not what I was talking about (can't say anything else, you'll see), but that too.

NeutralDrow said:
While it's certainly of a much different genre than this game, its plot is epic in scope, it's three paths form three very different stories (and different paths of progression for the protagonist), the characters are fun, the music is pretty good, and the technical quality is breathtaking for a visual novel.

Hmm. So I am indeed going to have many, many more late nights of eroge games, then? That's great. Cause really, who needs sleep. I think I'll go with Tsukihime first, cause... Eh, I dunno. Sounds great.
Join the club. I'm losing sleep over Kana: Little Sister these days.

NeutralDrow said:

Ahh, cicadas at night. Not a sound we in the Mid-West get too often.
I gotta ask. How is it, in Japan?
You live in the midwest? Well, you already know roughly what the weather is like...especially in summer (humidity and sudden rain that a Southern California person like myself wasn't used to). Not as much snow where I was (Yokohama), but it did snow twice, which was apparently unusual. Otherwise...really pretty country, sidewalks and cars are really small (the people aren't; I even noticed people around my height of 6'1"), people are generally polite (though foreigners do draw a lot of stares), it's not really as expensive as the reputation states (depending on where you live, I suppose), the public transportation is wonderful...really, I do want to go back some day.

Evilsanta said:
Is Fate/stay Night that good? Neutral, you seem to worship it. And Wolfmage, Im glad that another soul has been bleesed by the eroge!
It's really good, yes. I like Takashi Takeuchi's art style a lot, and Kinoko Nasu is a helluva writer. Not to mention FSN has <url=http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4696/saber01ox5.jpg>my favorite video game character.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
I'm gonna have to make that club at my college.
The "We don't get enough sleep because we're up playing porn games" club.

NeutralDrow said:
You live in the midwest? Well, you already know roughly what the weather is like...especially in summer (humidity and sudden rain that a Southern California person like myself wasn't used to). Not as much snow where I was (Yokohama), but it did snow twice, which was apparently unusual. Otherwise...really pretty country, sidewalks and cars are really small (the people aren't; I even noticed people around my height of 6'1"), people are generally polite (though foreigners do draw a lot of stares), it's not really as expensive as the reputation states (depending on where you live, I suppose), the public transportation is wonderful...really, I do want to go back some day.
Hmm, might not want to live there then, cause I despise the weather and such here.
And I'm none too good at learning new languages.

Evilsanta said:
Is Fate/stay Night that good? Neutral, you seem to worship it. And Wolfmage, I'm glad that another soul has been blessed by the eroge!
Glad to have found the light... Reflecting off the tits.
Also, Neutral, nice character. Really gotta get the game now.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WolfMage said:
NeutralDrow said:
I'm gonna have to make that club at my college.
The "We don't get enough sleep because we're up playing porn games" club.
Er...I wouldn't use...quite that wording, perhaps... >_<

<color=aliceblue>Line break color-testing.

(Especially not for that game. I don't like Yumi all that much, and she's got the inevitable sex scenes; Kana's actually got very few.)

NeutralDrow said:
Hmm, might not want to live there then, cause I despise the weather and such here.
And I'm none too good at learning new languages.
Admittedly, I pretty much stuck in the Kanto region of middle Honshu, with a few short jaunts into Kansai (Kyoto and Nara mainly, I was only in Osaka for a couple days) and Kyushu. Might be different farther north; I just wound up studying in Yokohama instead of Gifu or Aomori.

The latter would be more of a difficult barrier, if you wanted to go out of the larger cities. Truth be told, though, I'm still not that great with Japanese, though I knew enough to get by...halfway through my stay, at least.

Evilsanta said:
Is Fate/stay Night that good? Neutral, you seem to worship it. And Wolfmage, I'm glad that another soul has been blessed by the eroge!
Glad to have found the light... Reflecting off the tits.
Also, Neutral, nice character. Really gotta get the game now.
Saber's awesome. You'll find Rin's fans everywhere, and I admit to having a rather large soft spot for the sexy goddess who is Sakura (especially since she's easily the most maligned of the characters, very unfairly in my opinion), but Saber's who I always come back to.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
So do you know where to get Fate/Stay legally? As i dont want to torrent it. And thanks to google i know there is an english patch, which means i dont have to use my crappy japanese language skills.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
So do you know where to get Fate/Stay legally? As i dont want to torrent it. And thanks to google i know there is an english patch, which means i dont have to use my crappy japanese language skills.
A mere 100 dollars from PlayAsia, last I checked.

Oh and for the record:

Caster>Rider>Taiga>Saber>Bazzet>Rin>Karen>Mitsuzuri>Ilya's Maids>Those Three Schoolgirls>Rider's Sisters>Ilya>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shitkura

No Fate Zero exclusives counted because other than the lovely Irisivel I'm not actually sure what they look like.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Rodyle2 said:
Evilsanta said:

:
A 100$ you have to be kidding right? Thats like 1000 Swedish Kroner (which is a lot) I got GTA4, Dragon Age: Aweking and Assassins Creed 2 for that much.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Rodyle2 said:
Evilsanta said:

:
A 100$ you have to be kidding right? Thats like 1000 Swedish Kroner (which is a lot) I got GTA4, Dragon Age: Aweking and Assassins Creed 2 for that much.
Importing is a losing game. Also FSN is longer than all 3 of those put together.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
:[/quote]

A 100$ you have to be kidding right? Thats like 1000 Swedish Kroner (which is a lot) I got GTA4, Dragon Age: Aweking and Assassins Creed 2 for that much.[/quote]
Importing is a losing game. Also FSN is longer than all 3 of those put together.[/quote]

Argh, quote fail. Really, longer than all 3 put together? I know that some VN are long (pulling allnighter is so tiresome) il guess il use the *cough* less legal way *cough* then.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Yeah, there's that one legal copy that I know of. And it keeps getting more expensive (it was $75 in late 2008). I just noted that it was used and didn't bother, just went with the torrent...and if you ask the same question about Tsukihime, no. If there ever was a legal copy, it'd be $400 by now and buried on some Japanese auction site.

Also, ignore Rodyle. Ilya is clearly greater than her maids. And he forgot to put Sakura anywhere on there.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:
Yeah, there's that one legal copy that I know of. And it keeps getting more expensive (it was $75 in late 2008). I just noted that it was used and didn't bother, just went with the torrent...and if you ask the same question about Tsukihime, no. If there ever was a legal copy, it'd be $400 by now and buried on some Japanese auction site.

Also, ignore Rodyle. Ilya is clearly greater than her maids. And he forgot to put Sakura anywhere on there.
Sella and Leysritt are much prettier than the loli. As a character though she is superior.

Sakura is a slightly better character than the maids, Rider's sisters, and the schoolgirls, but she's not as entertaining.

In looks, she's dead last.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Rodyle2 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:

Sella and Leysritt are much prettier than the loli. As a character though she is superior.

Sakura is a slightly better character than the maids, Rider's sisters, and the schoolgirls, but she's not as entertaining.

I already explained how I have a thing for large-breasted and modestly-dressed characters, so I'll skip it here.

I'll also refrain from explaining her appeal when she's naked and sweating, because I'm certain it would go against forum rules and several aspects of good taste.

<color=aliceblue>Shouldn'ta showed me where that uncensoring patch was.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Rodyle2 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:

I already explained how I have a thing for large-breasted and modestly-dressed characters, so I'll skip it here.

I'll also refrain from explaining her appeal when she's naked and sweating, because I'm certain it would go against forum rules and several aspects of good taste.

Modestly dressed

Rider is superior.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Il try out Tsukihime to then though i only skimmed trough your reweiv on that Neutral, but the overall seemed quite good. Large breats and glasses...To good to be true..Girls in glasses (Insert Homer Simpson drool sound)*erhm* Where was i? 400$!?!? Id only pay that much if it included some virtual reality mode.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Rodyle2 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Rodyle2 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:

Modestly dressed
Rider is superior.
Hair's too long, slightly too tall, and there's a slight problem with her eyes, as you'll recall. She's still tied for a very close second with Caster.

Evilsanta said:
Il try out Tsukihime to then though i only skimmed trough your reweiv on that Neutral, but the overall seemed quite good. Large breats and glasses...To good to be true..Girls in glasses (Insert Homer Simpson drool sound)*erhm* Where was i? 400$!?!? Id only pay that much if it included some virtual reality mode.
It's what happens when you look for a popular game that was only released in Japan (and ten years ago). It's why I didn't mind torrenting that and FSN.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I guees its ok when its that old. Arhg...i have alot of allnighter ahead of me now.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
I guees its ok when its that old. Arhg...i have alot of allnighter ahead of me now.
For some reassurance, Tsukihime only took me a couple of weeks, according to my save files at least. Admittedly, that was on average three or four hours a night, and I read pretty quickly.

Fate/Stay Night, on the other hand, took me three and a half days...in other words, 84 nonconsecutive hours. So yeah, even when you factor in a few hours just messing around in the CG galleries or certain scenes or the like (the game actually keeps track of how long you've played) it's pretty long. ^^;

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:
For some reassurance, Tsukihime only took me a couple of weeks, according to my save files at least. Admittedly, that was on average three or four hours a night, and I read pretty quickly.

Fate/Stay Night, on the other hand, took me three and a half days...in other words, 84 nonconsecutive hours. So yeah, even when you factor in a few hours just messing around in the CG galleries or certain scenes or the like (the game actually keeps track of how long you've played) it's pretty long. ^^;
Thats hardcore...Lucky you... Because i havent found a place of my own i have limited playtime and that i have school and tons of assignments(aka homework)i mostly pull allnighters on weekends or...damn forgot the word its like vacations from school i guess.

Anyways to stay on topic a little got any other VNs to recommend?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:
Evilsanta said:

Thats hardcore...Lucky you... Because i havent found a place of my own i have limited playtime and that i have school and tons of assignments(aka homework)i mostly pull allnighters on weekends or...damn forgot the word its like vacations from school i guess.
I can sympathize (university student, myself). It's half the reason I only play them at night, after all.

Anyways to stay on topic a little got any other VNs to recommend?
Really, I've reviewed all but one game (Fate/Stay Night) that I've personally played so far; they're all in that list at the end of the review. Other than this game and the two Type-Moon games, the only one I'd give a non-tentative recommendation for is Kanon (if you're interested, PM me; it's one of those games that's not available by normal means, but I've only found one version that works with the translation patch...and it's not a torrent).

Of the others, Xchange is horrible and Little My Maid...well, I've finally established to myself that I do sort of like the game, but it's really not one I'd recommend under normal circumstances. Especially since it's an official translation, and so costs money.

Kagetsu Tohya is pretty much only good if you really liked Tsukihime. I'm halfway through Kana: Little Sister right now, but it's looking like I'll be giving it a positive appraisal in the eventual review.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well thanks for the tips, il check some of em out. Kana:Little sister is susposed to really emotional. Hope you can handle it. :p

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Well thanks for the tips, il check some of em out. Kana:Little sister is susposed to really emotional. Hope you can handle it. :p
My soul hurts. And I still have three endings to go.

I hope none of them are as bad as last night. I'm not even sure what words I can use to describe how depressing "Out of the Maze" was.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
NeutralDrow said:

I hope none of them are as bad as last night. I'm not even sure what words I can use to describe how depressing "Out of the Maze" was.
For soul hurting i recommend that you eat some chochlate(or lots of it), that usally works for me. Or play/watch/read/listen to something that guarentes to make you happy. Like

When Aeka and Kouhei both strangle ***** que...*cough* Kyoka or when Kouhei cuts the her... Makes my happy... In a sadistic way i guess. Or Mizukis ending is good to.Happy family ending Yay! ;)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
NeutralDrow said:

For soul hurting i recommend that you eat some chochlate(or lots of it), that usally works for me. Or play/watch/read/listen to something that guarentes to make you happy. Like

When Aeka and Kouhei both strangle ***** que...*cough* Kyoka or when Kouhei cuts the her... Makes my happy... In a sadistic way i guess. Or Mizukis ending is good to.Happy family ending Yay! ;)
I'm already planning a detoxification that involves the Realta Nua: Last Episode ending of Fate/Stay Night (I'd describe it, but it'd be a spoiler for the Fate route). And my next game after Kana is gonna be Princess Waltz, which I haven't heard is especially emotional.

That, or I'll just go the route that one Kanon route took me and spontaneously start crying for one night...well, except that that really did catch me completely by surprise. Even if it did help.

...and there goes another shred of my masculine self-image. At this rate, only my beard and my asocial behavior will remain before long. >_>

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Princess Waltz...I have it somewhere in the dark corners of my room. Cant really tell you anything about it. I only got a little bit in to it as my old computer decided its was time to say farewell. Guess i have to intall that too. Argh...my precuis disk space...And dont worry about the masculine self-image lift some weights or run some laps and its should restore it self. In the long run :p Or i you want to gain masulinety fast wrestle a bear or kill a lion with your barefists. That a sure kill way to gain manliness. Or play the manliest game ever, ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK! YOUR MANLIESS IS MEASURD IN HOW MUCH PINK YOU WEAR!

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Princess Waltz...I have it somewhere in the dark corners of my room. Cant really tell you anything about it. I only got a little bit in to it as my old computer decided its was time to say farewell. Guess i have to intall that too. Argh...my precuis disk space...And dont worry about the masculine self-image lift some weights or run some laps and its should restore it self. In the long run :p Or i you want to gain masulinety fast wrestle a bear or kill a lion with your barefists. That a sure kill way to gain manliness. Or play the manliest game ever, ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK! YOUR MANLIESS IS MEASURD IN HOW MUCH PINK YOU WEAR!

It's the wrong shade of pink, though. Manly pink is a darker shade.

...in other words, the only thing that can save me is a few hours on <url=http://www.thepinballcompany.com/ProductImages/usedarcades/MoCap_Boxing.jpg>this. Or, since I don't know where one is, either Red Steel 2 or Wii Boxing.

(No, that's not me)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well isnt that some easy solutions. Just call a friend over and punch each other silly in Wii boxing. :D

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Oh you while im at it. Where can i found the soundtracks for A drug that makes you dream? Want to put the happy go lucky ones in my mp3 player for a quick happy boost.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
rekabdarb said:
Zeon_1992 said:
lawl dude where the fuck is that gif from i want it
Good sir, is that the Brand of Sacrifice I see in your avatar? If so, you must be a gentlemen of taste.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Rodyle2 said:
rekabdarb said:
Zeon_1992 said:
lawl dude where the fuck is that gif from i want it
Good sir, is that the Brand of Sacrifice I see in your avatar? If so, you must be a gentlemen of taste.
yes sir, it used to be guts, but i lost the picture

Flammarion

Nov 26, 2007
Fun fact: Finishing this game for the first time (Nekoko, good rout) is NOT the way to start a busy day. I got this a little while ago when I read this review (very good by the way)and finished it for the first time about two hours from a uni exam. I've been thinking about it all day >>

But aside from the unfortunate timing it was beautiful, and I haven't even started on Aeka yet. (I've got little intrest in the SC president, she seems annoying.) So thank you for convincing me to try it ^^
(And now I've gone and read your other reviews, and feel compelled to track down Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night because of you. I think I know what my holidays will be filled with...)

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I wonder what ND's reaction to this thread's constant bumping is.
I find it hilarious yet perplexing myself.

ThatJoelGuy

Jul 23, 2008
Excellent review Drow. I was actually planing to miss this one but your review made me think otherwise.
There needs to be more hours in a day.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
tomtom94 said:
I wonder what ND's reaction to this thread's constant bumping is.
I'm halfway to exploding with delight. First-page prominence always leads to more threadviews, which is the second most satisfying thing I find as a reviewer (or the most, if it's a negative review). And it would be a dick move on several levels if I bumped my own threads.

...of course, it might be mildly inconvenient today, since my next review should be up later in the day, but I'll take what I can get.

Flammarion said:
Fun fact: Finishing this game for the first time (Nekoko, good rout) is NOT the way to start a busy day. I got this a little while ago when I read this review (very good by the way)and finished it for the first time about two hours from a uni exam. I've been thinking about it all day >>
Oddly enough, the good ending that did that to me the most was Mizuki's, but I totally understand. It's

But aside from the unfortunate timing it was beautiful, and I haven't even started on Aeka yet. (I've got little intrest in the SC president, she seems annoying.) So thank you for convincing me to try it ^^
I don't know how much your opinion on her will change (I found her mildly amusing at the start, but I was far too distracted by Aeka to care), but it is still worth playing her route, especially since her problem is far more mental and existential than Nekoko or Aeka's.

Still, good to hear! Following up from above, if there's one thing more satisfying than people reading your review, it's people trying and liking what you recommended...

(And now I've gone and read your other reviews, and feel compelled to track down Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night because of you. I think I know what my holidays will be filled with...)
I can help with that, since those ones are somewhat more difficult...

Legna eno said:
Excellent review Drow. I was actually planing to miss this one but your review made me think otherwise.
I tend to play these at night, but otherwise, yeah. This one isn't horribly long, though...as a fellow Fate/Stay Night fan, I'm sure you understand!

ThatJoelGuy

Jul 23, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Legna eno said:
I tend to play these at night, but otherwise, yeah. This one isn't horribly long, though...as a fellow Fate/Stay Night fan, I'm sure you understand!
yeah agreed. on my fsn my clock said 6 d 4 h at 100%, half of that can be attributed to dieing on the final route trying to find the combination that gives you the decent ending.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
mitojee said:
I've been searching around the sites with google. Where is a good place to actually purchase this game and others? Also, buy and download would be great as well. Apologies if I missed an existing reply with that info.
Peach Princess carries most of the officially-released titles I know of, <url=http://www.peachprincess.com/a-drug-that-makes-you-dream-163.html>including this one (which does come in download format, if so desired).

MangaGamer also carries some titles, notably the Higurashi novels, Kira Kira, Kara no Shoujo, and Shuffle.

J-list has even more of a selection...though its mostly imports, and thus more expensive. Also, the site creeps me out something fierce.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Rodyle2 said:
Evilsanta said:

:
I havent tried this before but some of theese developers lets you download the game over their website. Try the japaneese one, Google translator is your friend? *Used it for a russian webstore once, worked like a charm*